Superman's Fortress of Solitude Coming to Supergirl

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Whenever Superman needed to think or get away from the hectic life of being a hero, he headed to his Fortress of Solitude. Now, Supergirl will be heading there as well for the CBS TV series. On the February 29 episode of Supergirl, Kara will head to her cousin's hideaway to search for answers to beat a new villain.

No Caption Provided

Kara is looking for answers to beat Indigo, played by Laura Vandervoort, who is a dangerous villain capable of transporting via the Internet. Indigo has a connection to Kara's past and only the knowledge contained within the Fortress of Solitude can help Kara.

The Fortress of Solitude first appeared inAction Comics #241, and was originally called "Fort Superman." The Fortress was built into a mountain outside of Metropolis. Since then, the Fortress has moved to the Andes Mountains, the Arctic, and other remote locations and has appeared in over 700 comic book issues as well as on television and in numerous Superman movies.

Supergirl visits the Fortress of Solitude on Monday, February 29 at 8/7C on CBS.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

*rolls eyes*

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Laura Vandervoort, aka, the previous Supergirl!

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cool.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

It's at this point a certain someone is going to have to make an appearance eventually.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's at this point a certain someone is going to have to make an appearance eventually.

it would be ridiculous if they didn't...even Birds of Prey had Batman appear....you can't set a show in Metropolis and say that Superman exists and not have him appear at some point

franksands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@danhimself:

@stmichalofwilson said:

it would be ridiculous if they didn't...even Birds of Prey had Batman appear....you can't set a show in Metropolis and say that Superman exists and not have him appear at some point

First, the series is not in Metropolis, it's in "National City". Second they don't want for superman to show up to create any links with DC's cinematic universe. As much as I would like to see superman in the series, I really would not like to see Henry Cavil's "dark and brooding" superman from Man of Steel.

DC is taking an opposite approach to Marvel's regarding series vs movies: they are different universes. Even the series themselves might be different universes, taking in to consideration the latest glimpses from the Flash/Supergirl crossover.

When Flash appears in Batman v Superman movie, it will not be the Flash from the series (as far as I know).

Lemuel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lemuel15

@franksands: No one's saying that it has to be Henry Cavill's Superman, It can just be a version of Superman exclusive to this show. The fact that the show takes place in a separate universe from the films already erases any links to the cinematic universe and is more reason to have Superman actually appear. It won't be the same version shown in the films and would most likely be portrayed by a different actor.

I mean, they've already alluded to him, mentioned him by name, shown his silhouette and even shown a younger version of him in this week's episode. Now they're actually showing his base of operations and at this point the damage has been done and there's no real reason why they can't show him now.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

She still, STILL has not gotten out of Superman's shadow, this show is near it's Season 1 end and yet they haven't established Supergirl as a separate character, it still comes across as Supergirl, the female version of Superman.

They had to mention him when the show started, dragged in some flashback as his as a kid (which contradicts the original Superman story of him sent to Earth as a baby) and now his Fortress of Solitude.

This is why I never really got into this show because they took a female character who is directly related to the most famous super hero in the world rather than try to make a show about any other female hero who can stand on her own and whose backstory isn't mixed with anyone else.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

She still, STILL has not gotten out of Superman's shadow, this show is near it's Season 1 end and yet they haven't established Supergirl as a separate character, it still comes across as Supergirl, the female version of Superman.

They had to mention him when the show started, dragged in some flashback as his as a kid (which contradicts the original Superman story of him sent to Earth as a baby) and now his Fortress of Solitude.

This is why I never really got into this show because they took a female character who is directly related to the most famous super hero in the world rather than try to make a show about any other female hero who can stand on her own and whose backstory isn't mixed with anyone else.

It's even worse noting that Kara acts nothing like her comic self. She's literally a copy paste version of Superman/Clark Kent in female form :/

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

It's even worse noting that Kara acts nothing like her comic self. She's literally a copy paste version of Superman/Clark Kent in female form :/

That might be okay if they had given her Superman's story as well, pretend he didn't exist, have her land on Earth as a baby and take his place, it would be much better. Instead they tease Superman fans by always mentioning little hints or flashbacks or something pointing to him.

Now they are pushing for the Flash crossover which the director of this show claimed would never happen but since they lost 50% of their audience they need to try and gain it back and since Flash has been more consistent in maintaining its audience (even if the numbers are a little lower, they haven't drastically lost people), they hope to gain fans from Flash. I can tell you, I will not watch the cross over for two simple reasons; one, it's clearly a one and done, they wont ever see each other again so whats the point of teasing myself and two, it's clearly out of desperation to save the show.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

That might be okay if they had given her Superman's story as well, pretend he didn't exist, have her land on Earth as a baby and take his place, it would be much better. Instead they tease Superman fans by always mentioning little hints or flashbacks or something pointing to him.

Now they are pushing for the Flash crossover which the director of this show claimed would never happen but since they lost 50% of their audience they need to try and gain it back and since Flash has been more consistent in maintaining its audience (even if the numbers are a little lower, they haven't drastically lost people), they hope to gain fans from Flash. I can tell you, I will not watch the cross over for two simple reasons; one, it's clearly a one and done, they wont ever see each other again so whats the point of teasing myself and two, it's clearly out of desperation to save the show.

they been pulling 7-8 million per week since episode 2 , don't know where you guys pulls these ratings numbers from , the show has the most viewers for any CMB show not named Gotham or Lucifer

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

Honestly, I would've been annoyed either way. The writers should be confident enough in a character before they go through with making a show without having to drastically change him/her. It's one of the reasons why Arrow catches so much flak. IIRC, there was a rumor that the show was initially going to have a sort of role reversal for Kara and Superman. They were going to be launched at the same time but Superman's ship gets caught in orbit around the sun or whatever they wanted, and Kara would land on earth first with the Kents or Danvers. I thought this would have been the best route to go because the possibility of a VERSION of Kal-El was always there without constantly shoving it in our faces. And if they wanted to use him, they easily could without really having him be the Superman that's in the movie-verse.

Yeah, i'm not really excited about the cross-over either. I'll probably tune in just for the novelty of it, but I doubt i'll focus on it much. TBH, I hardly watch Flash anyways. The DC television verse lost it's flare for me.....

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

That's definitely a problem I have with Supergirl in this show. It takes far too many liberties in just willingly 'borrowing' elements from the Superman comics. Kara working for a media corporation, using 2 Daily Planet supporting cast players, passing off Superman villains like Livewire and Bizarro as 'Supergirl villains', and using Superman stories for episodes too. This takes way more off Superman than the comics have done.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

they been pulling 7-8 million per week since episode 2 , don't know where you guys pulls these ratings numbers from , the show has the most viewers for any CMB show not named Gotham or Lucifer

I checked and their most recent was down to 6 million and they started with 13 mil.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

Honestly, I would've been annoyed either way. The writers should be confident enough in a character before they go through with making a show without having to drastically change him/her. It's one of the reasons why Arrow catches so much flak. IIRC, there was a rumor that the show was initially going to have a sort of role reversal for Kara and Superman. They were going to be launched at the same time but Superman's ship gets caught in orbit around the sun or whatever they wanted, and Kara would land on earth first with the Kents or Danvers. I thought this would have been the best route to go because the possibility of a VERSION of Kal-El was always there without constantly shoving it in our faces. And if they wanted to use him, they easily could without really having him be the Superman that's in the movie-verse.

Yeah, i'm not really excited about the cross-over either. I'll probably tune in just for the novelty of it, but I doubt i'll focus on it much. TBH, I hardly watch Flash anyways. The DC television verse lost it's flare for me.....

Flash and Legends of Tomorrow are holding up pretty well in my opinion but Arrow seems to still be about more of the relationship stuff (primarily bf/gf) than about the super heroes so it gets a bit boring.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

That's definitely a problem I have with Supergirl in this show. It takes far too many liberties in just willingly 'borrowing' elements from the Superman comics. Kara working for a media corporation, using 2 Daily Planet supporting cast players, passing off Superman villains like Livewire and Bizarro as 'Supergirl villains', and using Superman stories for episodes too. This takes way more off Superman than the comics have done.

It really does. IMO, Supergirl has enough in her own, personal characterization and stories to have her own show. Too bad the writers didn't think so. I'm just waiting for them to introduce Lex lol

Flash and Legends of Tomorrow are holding up pretty well in my opinion but Arrow seems to still be about more of the relationship stuff (primarily bf/gf) than about the super heroes so it gets a bit boring.

I still need to watch LoT....

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

It is because of progressive pandering. They were already promoting Supergirl as a feminist super hero before it began, trying to show she would be strong and independent and the immediately contradict themselves when she can't exist outside of Superman's shadow.

It is sad because Wonder Woman is more powerful, stronger in character and has her own great stories and they could easily tie her into Arrow, Flash and LoT without obstructing their stories.

I have a bias, I like Wonder Woman more than Supergirl.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Lvenger

@buttersdaman000: They could have at least used Bizarro girl and done the decency of mentioning that there was already a Bizarro if they wanted to use Bizarro Supergirl from Sterling Gates' Supergirl run.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#givetherightsbacktodarkhorse

Seriously though. From what I'm reading (haven't watched it, but am considering it) they should have spun this series as an Elseworlds where Kal never made it to Earth, but Kara did.

Either way I'd like to see Kara show up in the next DCEU Superman solo so that Cav-El and her fight Braniac together.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

I checked and their most recent was down to 6 million and they started with 13 mil.

this week pulled 7.92 , and that's before DVR recordings , you haven't watched CMB shows for long have you? they always start at super high total and drop a lot , I mean AOS started at 15 mill in show premiere , not it barely pulls 3 million before dvr recordings

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday said:
@birdman400 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

*rolls eyes*

Thank you.

this week pulled 7.92 , and that's before DVR recordings , you haven't watched CMB shows for long have you? they always start at super high total and drop a lot , I mean AOS started at 15 mill in show premiere , not it barely pulls 3 million before dvr recordings

I don't see AoS lasting too much longer either.

It is not a good thing to start big and then lose a lot of your audience nor is it good to make it common practice.

I watched the first season of AoS and dropped off and it & Supergirl do the same thing; teasing with bigger, more popular characters and never delivering

This is not a selling point of a television show

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: well its a common thing in CMB shows , you have about 95% viewers actual CMB readers and the other 5% , people just watching CBS randomly , those are the ones who stop watching majority of the time

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if the show Superman he won't be the version from the movies since he is nowhere near as weak as they seem to make the one the show refers too. Also if they make it that just anyone can waltz into the fortress of solitude in this show just call it "solitude" as it would in no way be a "fortress" anything. lol

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

I don't really have a problem with them using Superman villians for the show. I can't think of any notable Supergirl villians and most of the villians they are using are Superman villians that wouldn't appear in the movie universe anyway.

All that being said, they really need to show Superman if they are gonna use the Fortress for an episode...

coffeeprince29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By coffeeprince29
kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should have adapted Alan Moore's whatever happened to the man of tomorrow story where Clark gives up his powers. This way Clark could be utilized but not overshadow Kara.