Ultimate Spider-Man Cartoon Discussion

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

So it just came and went. What did we think?

Personally, I think it was pretty good. Sure, it's no Spectacular Spider-Man by any stretch of the imagination, but for what it was, it's not bad.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

I didn't like it.....I don't understand Marvels need to make these alternate, kid friendly version of their characters animated shows, instead of making shows with more serious character driven stories...ya know, like in the comics. I would say that maybe they figure kids won't watch it but I see shows like Avengers, Young Justice, Thundercats and Star Wars doing fine....and those shows can be enjoyed by people from all age groups......

I mean that balding guy from the Marvel movies is not only in the show, but he is the principal, so I guess this show is incorporated into the film universe, by way of the Ultimate and 616 universes....

Marvel themselves,don't even know what  continuity they're using.........F*ck this show

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

It wasn't bad until wasa little corny. I'm hoping things get better as time goes on

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

Yeah, it was definitely corny. Still, I got a kick out of those scenes where Spider-Man "exits reality" to explain something.

I don't know how I feel about Cage and Iron Fist's younger appearance. And who's the kid wearing the Nova costume? It's not Richard Rider.

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baron_BJ

Let me put it this way; I won't be sad when THIS Ultimate Spider-Man dies.

I'll admit I giggled a little bit at some of the cut away gags.

What failed hardest was the god damned annoying scenes where it broke the fourth wall and he spoke to the audience. Made me want to find a way to leap through the screen and slit his throught. Breaking the fourth wall almost never works and it only ever works with jokes, this just made me think he was an annoying tool; it was a WEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAK exposition dump, one of ther weakest I've ever seen.

Also, what was with the damned peanut gallery they saddled him with? It's called "Ultimate Spider-Man", not "Spider-Man and his Gaggle of R******!", we're given an annoying group of jerks (You have no idea how many times I've had to backtrack to remove my swears whilst writing about this abomination) who are wearing the costumes of characters from the Marvel Universes and using their names (Though I'm not sure that the token girl was ever a real character before this cartoon), but it completely ignores everything about them (For example Luke Cage and Iron Fist make no sense because it dumps everything they were about, they're the equivelent of Uncle Ben never being killed. Not to mention that they were all some of the most blatant character stereotypes out there.

To echo sentiments that have been spouted continually since this show came out (by some people in this thread no less):

They cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man for this?

@cattlebattle said:

I don't understand Marvels need to make these alternate, kid friendly version of their characters animated shows, instead of making shows with more serious character driven stories...ya know, like in the comics. I would say that maybe they figure kids won't watch it but I see shows like Avengers, Young Justice, Thundercats and Star Wars doing fine.

THIS. Young Justice for example is another show that's RELATIVELY new and it is downright amazing, it's a hit and it's done almost entirely straightfaced with only the occasional joke, I can buy that these characters are people and likeable people at that, it's captivating and with cartoon adaptions out there this good there is NO place for garbage like this.

The nicest thing I can say about this turkey is that the animation is fantastic, it's just a shame that such talented animators are stuck animating something that is far from worth their time.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By X35

Just imagine if Spectacular Spider-Man had this animation...

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FearTheLiving

It's definitely not the greatest SM show but I did find myself laughing quite a bit, so I guess I'm enjoying it.

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RogueOracle

Great animation. But it's a bit to slap-stick. I absolutely loathe the unnecessary sound effects.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

If nothing else Iron Fist and Luke Cage are finally on TV

jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By jack16ichigo

It was ok i don't care for it being so kid friendly but i can live with it i also don't care for having so many other characters in it already its barely been about spidey more just from his perspective they could've waited a while before introducing so many other characters its only on its third episode.The main thing that bugs me about it is the fact they change his costume ! its not a big change but its all i see when i look at him. Was there really any need to change it ? no there wasn't.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

I didn't watch the last episode. Did it improve, or?

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Martian

I haven't seen a full episode yet but this show looks pretty good. I'm personally lovin' Marvel's animated shows nowadays like Avengers:EMH.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Gambit1024 said:
I didn't watch the last episode. Did it improve, or?
no
jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jack16ichigo

@Gambit1024: I wouldn't say it was a bad episode but again it was very cheesy and focused more on the team which i wouldn't mind if it was called ultimate spider-man AND etc.There was some funny moments but in general id say it was average...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit1024
@spiderbat87
@jack16ichigo

Gotcha. 

I saw that Wolverine's gonna be in the next one.  
jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jack16ichigo

@Gambit1024:

Really ? i'll look forward to that but again it still seems really early for another character...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gambit1024
@jack16ichigo: Yeah, check it: 

jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jack16ichigo

@Gambit1024:

Wow wolverine looks...odd... wasn't expecting that costume and the full sleeves look weird but still im looking forward as whenever spidey and wolverine interact its always funny...

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@FearTheLiving said:

It's definitely not the greatest SM show but I did find myself laughing quite a bit, so I guess I'm enjoying it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024
@jack16ichigo: I know. I felt the costume choice was pretty odd too. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. 
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cattlebattle
@Gambit1024 said:
@jack16ichigo: Yeah, check it: 

are you sure that isn't D-Man, I thought Wolverine wasn't allowed to appear in other Marvel related cartoons due to rights or something

No Caption Provided
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gambit1024
@cattlebattle: Huh. Now that you mention it, it does look like D-Man. And Wolverine can appear in other shows. He's gonna be in Avengers: EMH soon (along with Spidey), and he's already made a cameo in the Captain America short for EMH.  

Marvel has all character rights in terms of TV. Currently, anyway. I wanna say Disney bought X-Men and Spider-Man shortly after they're partnership with Marvel, but I'm not 100% sure. 
noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By noj

@cattlebattle: I think I heard something about the Wolverine embargo last year, but I dont think it matters anymore. A couple of pictures from the Avengers series surfaced awhile back that had Wolverine in them, so if they can put them there they can put him in Ultimate Spider-Man too I guess

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cattlebattle
@noj said:

@cattlebattle: I think I heard something about the Wolverine embargo last year, but I dont think it matters anymore. A couple of pictures from the Avengers series surfaced awhile back that had Wolverine in them, so if they can put them there they can put him in Ultimate Spider-Man too I guess

@Gambit1024 said:
@cattlebattle: Huh. Now that you mention it, it does look like D-Man. And Wolverine can appear in other shows. He's gonna be in Avengers: EMH soon (along with Spidey), and he's already made a cameo in the Captain America short for EMH.   Marvel has all character rights in terms of TV. 
Well you guys are probably right...I would figure D-Man would have a big D on his chest, Its just that the coloring, outfit choice and the fact he has sleeves just looks odd in the Wolverine design depicted above...... 

You guys are probably right about the ...err...rights, as well, but, I think they can use a characters likeness or mention names as long as the character is not fully utilized. So showing Wolverine is OK, as long as he doesn't speak, and his cameo in Avengers was OK because he wasn't referred to as Wolverine and he wasn't wearing his well known uniform

In the Teen Titans they showed Wonder Girls likeness, and Young Justice had Wonder Woman in the first episode (non speaking) during the WW embargo. So...there is loopholes
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gambit1024
@cattlebattle: What was up with Wonder Woman/Girl's rights anyway? I thought WB owned all DC property.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cattlebattle
@Gambit1024 said:
@cattlebattle: What was up with Wonder Woman/Girl's rights anyway? I thought WB owned all DC property.
Different companies and studios purchase different things for characters. For instance, Nolan and another  animation studio were working on Batman projects when the JLU cartoon was in its later seasons, this is the reason the well known Bat rogues that were part of the Legion of the Doom in the Superfirends show were not part of Grodds Legion...despite all the other main villains from the Superfriends being the central bad guys in the last season...Sinestro, Bizarro etc...no Scarecrow and Riddler though. Batgirl was also supposed to end up in a wheelchair breifly in one episode for a Birds of Prey episode which was omitted due to the Bat embargo....there was a Nightwing cameo though...this is what I'm saying.

Some studio was working on a Wonder Woman TV show.Another studio had it before that, thats why she didn't appear on The Batman, Smallville and so on
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gambit1024
@cattlebattle: Oh, I didn't know that about Batman. That sucks. A Birds of Prey episode would've been awesome. 
noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By noj

@Gambit1024: It was going to be written by Gail Simone too. But it did turn into the Question/Huntress episode which was really awesome so at least something good came out of it

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gambit1024
@noj: Damn, really? Now the loss is even worse, lol. 
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#30  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Watched the first three episodes but I just couldn't get into it and by the third episode found myself board half way through. The show just came off dull and boring in my opinion. I've tried to get into the story and the characters, and while I like the idea of Spidey being trained by S.H.I.E.L.D. I simply don't care for Peter's supporting cast. Unlike in Spectacular Spider-Man where the show focused heavily on Peter's personal life, showing how his circle of friends slowly began to grow, seeing as he began to expand on his love life, etc. Where in USM all they are focuses on is Spidey playing S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and focuses only on the fellow heroes he's training with and ignoring his normal supporting cast like Gwen, Harry, Flash, MJ, etc. Not to mention that, while funny at times, I found about 95% of the jokes Spidey told ruined by the fact that he basically had to explain the jokes with those annoying cartoons that always popped up every five seconds...

Overall, I'd rather recommend anyone looking for a more mature Spider-Man show to just skip this completely and go to your local store and buy the completely series of Spectacular Spider-Man instead.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Hazlenaut

When I watch it felt like combination of both Scot Pilgrim and Lizzie McGuire. I have to question this generation not the series the audience who it is for.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Deranged Midget

@X35 said:

Just imagine if Spectacular Spider-Man had this animation...

I prefer Spectacular Spider-man's animation. It was unique and better fit the tone.

@Gambit1024: The show isn't terrible, it's humorous and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Strider1992

This right here is the only reason i'm going to continue to watch this:

Taskmaster!!!!!!! Hell yeah!!!!

jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jack16ichigo

@Gambit1024 said:

@jack16ichigo: I know. I felt the costume choice was pretty odd too. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

that basically sums up how i feel about the entire show :D

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By The Lobster

It's not bad, but it's not great either. I'd say it's watchable at least. Let me give a list of all the things I think are good and bad with this show. 

GOOD
 I've warmed up to Drake Bell as Spider-man already, he's pretty good. He sounds kinda like a cross between Neil Patrick Harris and Josh Keaton two of my favorite Spider-man voice actors. The voice actors all do great jobs. Maurice LaMarche was awesome as Doctor Doom, probably my favorite Dr. Doom voice actor yet so I gotta give credit to Marvel for finding voices that fit the roles down to a T. Sure there are one or two weak links but most of the voice actors do their job. I'm psyched for Clancy Brown as Taskmaster. 

While I think the forth wall jokes should be left to Deadpool, they don't really have Spider-man in the show "Break" the forth wall. Yes he turns and talks to the audience, so he basically narrates what he's doing..... but he's not making jokes like "This is all written by some guy on his computer" or "Those pesky Olsen Twins" or "Hey where's Sam Raimi when you need him."  If I had to describe the way the forth wall is broken it's more....Scott Pilgrim like than anything else. Which while is kinda pointless it does get a few laughs. I'm warming up to this as well. 

For every lame joke there is an equally great joke. You can't tell me you didn't laugh or at least smile when the Drawing a mustache on Jameson by squealing the tires on the motorcycle joke came up in the second episode, or what about "Yeah that made me feel better" in the first episode or what about "Doom demands a banana split?" in the third episode..... somethings are just so ridiculous that you can't help but laugh, and I get the feeling that this is what the writers were aiming for.  

Animation, top-notch.....nuff said.

BAD
It's just too fast pace, when it tries to slow down and be serious even for a bit, it just can't be taken seriously. There are so many character lessons in the last three episode but they're all overshadowed because you're still trying to calm your brain so it can process all the fast pace stuff that it just got finished showing. 

It tries to throw too many jokes into the mix. The third episode made this painfully clear. Nick Fury criticizing them for being stupid teenagers could have had some great character developing moments and it does try for a second with the "Whoa" thing, but instead it's ruined just so they could throw in the lame "Lets see me with a jet pack" joke again. The writers need to learn how to balance the humor with the serious if they want to stop this series from sinking. 

Remember for every lame joke there is an equally as awesome good joke. Yeah well the lames jokes are really lame....which makes me toss this up to 50/50 on the humor-o-meter. It either has jokes that are cringe-worthy ala "Blast Spidey, win a panda" or jokes that are just awesome like "I'm off to see the wizard." I'm not sure yet where I stand when it comes to this show in terms of humor, I can't hate it because it made me laugh a couple of times, but I can't love it because I also rolled my eyes a couple of times. 

That's my thoughts on the series.

Super_Gui_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Super_Gui_1

They try so hard with the humor it becomes very annoying. Too much fourth wall breaking and explanations. Anyway not surprised about it being bad since it has both Bendis and Loeb in its crew...

Skathatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skathatch

I agree, and it was said before and i'll say it again - too much accent on the dialogue (way too many jokes) not enough on action. And what's the deal with the team ? just as said, it should be named Spider-Man & co. - the idea of the team was nice but in the end... not enough Spidey. The cartoon isn't that bad... it's more like "mehh"

anyone caught the Stan Lee cameo from the pilot ? just curious

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I haven't watched the show yet, but what's the deal with the Venom symbiote? I saw a preview and it was just hanging out in a toilet...?

jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jack16ichigo

@Skathatch said:

I agree, and it was said before and i'll say it again - too much accent on the dialogue (way too many jokes) not enough on action. And what's the deal with the team ? just as said, it should be named Spider-Man & co. - the idea of the team was nice but in the end... not enough Spidey. The cartoon isn't that bad... it's more like "mehh"

anyone caught the Stan Lee cameo from the pilot ? just curious

Glad someone agrees :D and yeah it was hard to miss Stan Lee the weird janitor.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FearTheLiving

Well the recent episode had Venom which was pretty cool, be interesting to see where they go with it.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They ruined Venom. Just sayin.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@venomoushatred1001 said:

Can you tell me what happened?

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

Venom in this series, believe it or not, is actually Spidey's blood. Doc Ock got a hold of it and "increased the darkness", creating the "Venom symbiote". Looking for its origin, the "symbiote" arrives at Harry Osborn's party. It bonds with Flash Thompson (which I'll admit is pretty cool) and attacks Peter. It then bonds with Nova, Power Man, Iron Fist, and then finally Spider-Man before they destroy it. Later, Norman Osborn and Doctor Octopus plan to make an improved version of the prototype and it is also revealed a sample survived, which is then found and trapped by Harry in a bottle.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FearTheLiving

Changing up his origin a bit I think is far from ruining him, but agree I did like his original better.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#45  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

The only joke I'v seen is the show it's self, and it's not funny

DarthStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By DarthStorm

Creation of Ultimate Spider-Man:

Scott Pilgrim VS the world + Teen Titans (cartoon) + Spider-man = Ultimate Spider-man.

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87 said:

The only joke I'v seen is the show it's self, and it's not funny

LOL

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By coolguyr99

It was average, alot better than Spectacular Spiderman. Never liked that show.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By mewmdude77

@k4tzm4n said:

Venom in this series, believe it or not, is actually Spidey's blood. Doc Ock got a hold of it and "increased the darkness", creating the "Venom symbiote". Looking for its origin, the "symbiote" arrives at Harry Osborn's party. It bonds with Flash Thompson (which I'll admit is pretty cool) and attacks Peter. It then bonds with Nova, Power Man, Iron Fist, and then finally Spider-Man before they destroy it. Later, Norman Osborn and Doctor Octopus plan to make an improved version of the prototype and it is also revealed a sample survived, which is then found and trapped by Harry in a bottle.

You do know that in the comic Ultimate Spider-Man, that's not far off from what was in there. The Venom symbiote in the comics was supposed to be a cure for cancer creater by Richard Parker (Peter's dad) and Eddie Brock's dad. They used Richard's blood as a base for the formula, so that's why it melded with Peter so well, and was so intent on him being one with it so much. It actually makes a lot more sense than some random alien costume attaching to him, and randomly wanting to be one with him.

To the original point of this, I liked the show. It's pretty funny to me. Drake Bell is a really good Spidey, and having Fury put together a young Avengers is a really good idea. It's not the greatest Spider-Man show ever, but in my opinion, it's the third best Spider-Man show. (First and Second being the 90's Spider-Man, and Spectacular. In no particular order.) It's certainly not the worst. The worst Spider-Man show is the 70's live action show. (other Spidey shows that are worse include Unlimited, the 60's Spider-Man show, and the Japanese Spider-Man)

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mewmdude77 said:

@k4tzm4n said:

You do know that in the comic Ultimate Spider-Man, that's not far off from what was in there. The Venom symbiote in the comics was supposed to be a cure for cancer creater by Richard Parker (Peter's dad) and Eddie Brock's dad. They used Richard's blood as a base for the formula, so that's why it melded with Peter so well, and was so intent on him being one with it so much. It actually makes a lot more sense than some random alien costume attaching to him, and randomly wanting to be one with him.

To the original point of this, I liked the show. It's pretty funny to me. Drake Bell is a really good Spidey, and having Fury put together a young Avengers is a really good idea. It's not the greatest Spider-Man show ever, but in my opinion, it's the third best Spider-Man show. (First and Second being the 90's Spider-Man, and Spectacular. In no particular order.) It's certainly not the worst. The worst Spider-Man show is the 70's live action show. (other Spidey shows that are worse include Unlimited, the 60's Spider-Man show, and the Japanese Spider-Man)

I am well aware of Ultimate Venom's origin. As for the show, it is slightly below adequate at best.