Spidey's Most Notorious Villain ---> DAN SLOTT

• 58 results
solidus021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before but why do you guys think Marvel keeps Dan Slott on Amazing Spider-Man? Is it because Marvel does not care for Spidey anymore (since I think he is not their flagship character and mascot anymore)? Or is it something else that I could not think of? Is not obvious to Marvel that the stuff Slott writes about Spider-Man are absolute crap?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Slott is brown nosing his way and nobody wants to drop ASM so the sales tank and they consider dropping him

A book with flagship characters will sell regardless of being shitty.

solidus021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By solidus021

@nerevarine_11: You have a point man. See, I'm a fan of both DC and Marvel. I like both Batman and Spider-Man. I don't know. I don't like Tom King's writing on Batman but for me, it's much better than what's happening with Spidey. Slott really needs to go. I can't identify with Peter Parker anymore. If I want a rich superhero, I'll just stick with Bats.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Spider-Man is in a great place now, as he has finally started being a responsible person in both his identities. I'm not sure how you have been so gravely misled regarding Spider-Man's character to think that is a bad thing...

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is in a great place now, as he has finally started being a responsible person in both his identities. I'm not sure how you have been so gravely misled regarding Spider-Man's character to think that is a bad thing...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@solid_snake97

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no.

No Caption Provided

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Slott has sold well for the most part. And yes Superior Spider-Man wasn't everybody cup of tea, but I can see why he did it. Plus he's progressed Peter in interesting ways.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blackspidey2099

@solid_snake97: Do you have any thought out argument against that, rather than a poorly picked collection of gifs?

Considering your indefensible viewpoint, probably not. So stick with your memes, and please realize that Spider-Man may not be the character for you if you've been so well indoctrinated with misinformation.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: Do you have any thought out argument against that, rather than a poorly picked collection of gifs?

Considering your indefensible viewpoint, probably not. So stick with your memes, and please stop reading Spider-Man if you don't get the character.

It's clear you and Slott don't understand Peter Parker at all, but it's not surprising. Some people have the wrong idea of what Spidey is supposed to be post OMD and you're one of them.

Dan Slott is a gimmick writer, his ideas are reminiscent of a 12 year old's idea for Spider-Man. And even if he does have a solid foundation for a good event, he manages to f*ck it all up in the end.

Hs humor is downright horrible, Spider-Man before OMD had great dialogue, he made great sarcastic remarks that were genuinely funny, but not childish at the same time. But now with Slott Peter makes pop culture references that fall flat.

Plus why does Peter have to be a CEO? Yes he's a genius but the way he got there isn't genuine, he didn't earn it, and not being able to see how he got there doesn't help either. If anything it would have been more interesting to see him build his company from the ground up, similar to Steve Jobs and Apple, but nah with Slott that's boring and would require clever writing.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering your indefensible viewpoint, probably not. So stick with your memes, and please realize that Spider-Man may not be the character for you if you've been so well indoctrinated with misinformation.

This has gotta be the most misinformed post I've seen in years in regard to Slott Spider-Man.

The guy has shat on Spidey's character and mythos, making him an irresponsible playboy and moronic reckless peon. Spidey has not only lost his wife as well, but his kids and don't get me started on shit like Silk, Clone Conspiracy and the whole ensemble cast of characters who are about as endearing as a piece of toast covered in dish soap.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: So I'm wrong now? LOL. Considering I've read nearly all of Spider-Man's comics, I doubt that, but let's just see what else you have to say...

Slott has screwed up Spider-Verse and Superior Spider-Man, but Spider-Island, and Ends of the Earth certainly stuck the landing. It's too early to see with Clone Conspiracy, though. I'm not sure what you mean about being a gimmick writer, since that is completely subjective. Technically, any storyline in a comic is a gimmick, and a gimmick could be either good or bad. You should probably attempt to introduce some more specificity into your arguments.

His humour is horrible? I'll actually agree that his humour isn't as great as some past writers, but he definitely isn't the worst. I'd say it is mediocre. The quality of humour, though, has very little importance to me when I'm rating a run, so I'm not sure why you care so much about it. I don't read Spidey comics to laugh out loud at every joke, and it certainly shouldn't be important enough to automatically deem a writer horrible.

Peter has to be a CEO because this is what he has always dreamed of since he was a child, because he is capable enough, and because it enables him to truly fulfill his great responsibility in both his guises. Not to mention making Spider-Man more effective by building better tech, like the armor, so he can save more lives that way, in addition to donating profits, inventing products to slow global warming for example, etc. It would have been a lot more interesting to see the company being built more gradually, but that doesn't make it in any way bad as it is now. It's just a missed opportunity. Also, he did earn it, as shown by how Slott figuratively destroyed the remains of Doc Ock's last vestiges in ASM Vol. 3 #18, before starting again with Peter having rebuilt from scratch.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: LOL! I don't even know where to begin. "Irresponsible playboy?" Have you even read the comics? And Spidey didn't even have kids before OMD - which, by the way, was all Quesada, not Slott.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: LOL! I don't even know where to begin. "Irresponsible playboy?" Have you even read the comics? And Spidey didn't even have kids before OMD - which, by the way, was all Quesada, not Slott.

Yes I've had. Hes highly irresponsible both as an everyman and even CEO.

Slott isn't helping Spidey post OMD. Again, MJ is now with Tony and his child is basically a soul trapped in Mephistos realm. That is FUBAR.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are using Slott because he makes big event game changers. You see, some people have pointed out, along with this becoming increasingly obvious, marvel wants big emotional game changers every 6 months for their comics now. They think this will gather a large splurge of readers, and though this is true for the first few times they do it, most people are catching on and dwindling in number now.

His game changers don't even need to be good to attract attention, they just need to be something big and drastic. People dying, horrible twists, making characters change their whole character, huge rush of chaos, and bringing back older stories. These are things that make people look at you...for a time, but if your story has no substance, it's not going to last.

A lot of marvel's current staff want this to be the thing and try and push for this more often from what I hear. They like their big gimmicks and are forgetting that people who want to start reading now don't have a starting point anymore. They constantly change everything so much that there's no point for new readers to get in on. In the past before OMD, they were plenty of Spider-Man comic issues you could read just one of and get what was happening. Some were just standalones and were good places for readers to begin, but now everything changes so quickly and drastically and you need to actually read a whole decade of comics....it's not worth it.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By ursaber

Spider Man's most notorious villain will always be Joe Quesada.

Slott is second thanks to his brazen attempt to deconstruct Spider Man and his world all for the sake of change and being different, which is Marvel's main MO nowadays. Big game changing events every time a volume hits ten issues or so. There is no substance and no depth to his work.

Followed by many 90's writers specifically the marketing department which prolonged Clone Saga and drew away many readers and the guy who tried to kill MJ.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Seeing as Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character, it kills me to say this...I haven't liked anything Spider-Man related since The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Which I admittedly LOVE.) Peter himself is a raging, douchebag, Tony Stark-esque power fantasy who is no longer relatable (Which, believe it or not Slott is kind of...You know...The whole f*cking point of Spider-Man to begin with), Black Cat is being intentionally sabotaged as a character, most of Spider-Man's best villains are being sidelined for the "edgier" ones to appeal to new fans, and Silk...Dear GOD, Silk. To sum up my opinions on Silk, she is basically Marvel's equivalent to Harvest in quality. If any of you know or remember how I feel about Harvest, that's how much I hate Silk.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

punchable face.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ItsaWorld

@nerevarine_11: The baby is now demon owned. And what about the dead/kidnapped one? Is she like a demon too? Is she now like a cherub demon? Cause mephisto took their marrigae and anything it brought...meaning the first baby. Now I'm sad.

@ursaber: The higherups of marvel need to get slapped again...seriously. Maybe fire a few suits up there. Its already known since the 2000s that they were doing some bad stuff and now its getting worse. Most fans are noticing it will come to bite them in the end...at least I hope so

@solid_snake97: Curse you! Curse you for showing this image! Why do I have to look at this?! I have such choice words....why is he behind a buncha manga...no! your not allowed to sit behind some girly shoujou. You are not even on that teir. Heck Joe, I think Sword Art Online is better written than your stuff.

Seeing as Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character, it kills me to say this...I haven't liked anything Spider-Man related since The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Which I admittedly LOVE.) Peter himself is a raging, douchebag, Tony Stark-esque power fantasy who is no longer relatable (Which, believe it or not Slott is kind of...You know...The whole f*cking point of Spider-Man to begin with), Black Cat is being intentionally sabotaged as a character, most of Spider-Man's best villains are being sidelined for the "edgier" ones to appeal to new fans, and Silk...Dear GOD, Silk. To sum up my opinions on Silk, she is basically Marvel's equivalent to Harvest in quality. If any of you know or remember how I feel about Harvest, that's how much I hate Silk.

It's okay. You may love ASM2. I did not like but that's my own opinion. It wasn't as BAD as it could have been and could have definitley gotten better with a 3rd movie as the 3rd would have been showing recovery and about moving on, something that Peter has been struggling to do since the first movie. Though still, they pushed too much in that one and kinda made me cringe at parts.

Spider-Man in Marvel is like Sega with Sonic. Sega tries to REMAKE Sonic with a more EDGY and EXTREME FEEL altering everything we loved about him. They make silly decisions and sacrifice a lot to try to make a quick cash grab. Though the games still make them money, they are terrible. They are broken, horrible story and strange alterations to characters along with making one too many new ones. They only reason they make a profit even on today's poor creations of sonic games is because SONIC is in the name. Still, people who have played the original games can tell there's a HUGE difference.

....I'm goanna regret this...what's Harvest?

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott cannot write plausible stories that engages the reader, not in the manner befitting a true storyteller's craftmanship to weave memorable in-depth tales. Slott is wilfully ignorant of Spider-Man's history and legacy and is unable to write smart mature sophisticated tales with characters strong enough to inhabit a variety of narratives. The title of the book is "Amazing Spider-Man" and yet Peter Parker is totally inept at being amazing, only the Dan Slott creations seem to be doing things in his deus ex machina plot driven stories.

Slott is a seriously flawed writer who always brings his own characters to the forefront. Slott has made characters like Silk and Marconi and the stupid Living Brain Ottobot react quickly and efficiently to a crisis while Peter stands there unsure, stammering to himself, frozen with indecision.

Slott comes from a background of advertising and marketing, where gimmicks, controversy and hype are part and parcel of everyday life in the industry. He started off writing silly humor books like Ren and Stimpy and it's painfully obvious to see his ego and nonsensical ideas come to fruition in Slott's wacky world of Spider-Man.

Slott's Spider-Man is so radically different, which is purposely done by Slott so that in his mind he thinks he has some sort of lasting legacy on the character. This is not the same Spider-Man I have been reading since 1974. This is not the same Spider-Man prior Quesada's devil dealing bordello. Slott is not in the same caliber as the legendary Marvel creators of the 60's and 70's, his own character creations are bland and boring. His poor campy cartoonish writing and willfully deconstructing a character into a goofball man-child proves without doubt he has never understood Peter Parker / Spider-Man.

Slott is all about selling out to the commercial dollar, pumping out as much disposable pulp fan-fiction as possible with no regard to quality of story because he can't write good quality stories. Quantity of sales does not equal quality of product. The "Amazing Spider-Man" title is an iconic brand that has been popular and selling well since it's inception and Slott claiming he sells 20,000 more copies per month is fallacious since they're figures based on distribution sales, not on how many books actually make it into people's homes.

I don't care how long a so called writer says they have spent on a title, it doesn't justify their custodianship, especially when so much damage has been done. No loyal long time reader owes Slott any gratitude for the character derailments, toilet humor and silly pop culture references, plot driven stories with massive plot holes, lack of character development and unrealistic cringeworthy dialogue.

In eight short months Slott has catapulted Parker Industries into a multinational company all built upon SpOck's foundation, having researchers and scientists do all the work for you, having women who want to sabotage the company, sleep with Peter or kill him whilst he is none the wiser, in one such tale Peter was unable to convert kilometres into miles, amongst many other questionable feats occurring in this current bordello of a series. Slott has no basic knowledge of science and physics. How the hell can we expect him to factor plausibility into a Spider-Man story that showcases his scientific genius?

There's nothing wrong with Pete being successful on his own merit and within the confines of plausible storytelling, but Slott is a terrible writer when compared to other writers. My willingness to suspend my critical faculties and believe the unbelievable, to any sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment with Slott's writing is non existent. Why? because he doesn't factor in plausibility or any slice of realism into his storytelling.

Some people say "oh, but it's only comics!" Well I can only suspend my disbelief for so long before all plausibility flys out the window. IMO the quality of writing on ASM has significantly dropped since Slott started.

There is no plausibility to Slott's stories, i.e. suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far, even with comic books. Didn't Slott say at the recent NYCC he basically "wings it" when asked by a fan about his approach to writing scientific stuff in ASM? So he's not even prepared to put in an iota of research, which is what any real writer would do, especially when the protagonist you are writing about is meant to be a scientific genius. Using the excuse of it being "comic book science" is also laughable, again stretching any sense of plausibility. Turning Spider-Man into a Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne composite is not intelligent, it's a sign of pure laziness and plagiarism.

What Slott is really doing is he doesn’t have a clear focus or technical writing skills to write a singular cohesive Spider-Man story, so it’s basically an open slather to indulge an orgy of undisciplined ideas to further separate the uniqueness that is Peter Parker, the original and best Spider-Man ever. He simply does not get the character of Peter Parker.

IMO, he's just another amateur writer, a parasite in the right place at the right time. He has no legitimate claims on Spider-Man at all.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone see the similarities?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By magnetic_eye

@solidus021 said:

@nerevarine_11: You have a point man. See, I'm a fan of both DC and Marvel. I like both Batman and Spider-Man. I don't know. I don't like Tom King's writing on Batman but for me, it's much better than what's happening with Spidey. Slott really needs to go. I can't identify with Peter Parker anymore. If I want a rich superhero, I'll just stick with Bats.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Same here, I can't relate to Slott's version of Spider-Man either, never have and never will. I've been reading "Batman" and "Detective" for a long time now and I don't mind Tom King's writing (loved his "Vision" series). Point is that ASM has been messed up for nearly a decade and yet "Batman" and "Detective" have remained consistent with great writers and artwork. DC certainly respect their flagship characters a whole lot better, but Marvel's frat boy community of nepotistic flatulent wankers continue to dish out crap, and tell fans it's medicine they have to take.

Disney really need to step in and clean out the polluted publishing division, starting with Perlmutter, Alonso, Quesada, Brevoort, Slott, and Bendis.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099 said:

Yes I've had. Hes highly irresponsible both as an everyman and even CEO.

Slott isn't helping Spidey post OMD. Again, MJ is now with Tony and his child is basically a soul trapped in Mephistos realm. That is FUBAR.

Yeah, while MJ was not dating Tony, it was ridiculous and out-of-character for her to even take a job with him knowing what he'd done to her family in Civil War, and the fact she's staying put running his business while he's gone is worse...again, I can excuse it because it's just devil magic manipulating her to do those things. I'm long past remotely accepting this version of Peter and MJ as the mainstream versions, especially when their happily married counterparts in the ongoing newspaper strip and Renew Your Vows are making both of them look stale, repetitive, and out of touch.

As for Slott...the man belongs on the marketing department, not the writing staff, his ideas are just an assembly line of action figure concepts that entice and thrill the average eight year old boy or girl, but what substance do they produce? Peter running his own company should be a milestone event for the character, but the concept has been used to show Peter as an incompetent, self-serving, childish, easily manipulated man-boob of a human being who gets played by virtually everyone around him. The most important characters in the current Spider-Man run are Doc Ock as a robotic butler, The Jackal, Gwen, Spider-Gwen, and Kaine...all those characters Slott has put more effort into than Peter Parker..but to Slott, that's justifiable, as his current opinion is that Peter is the true villain of his own story, so everyone encircling him has to save the world, and all of reality, from himself.

What kind of a message is that to send to fans? That the most responsible of all Marvel heroes is so easily swayed to do something completly irresponsible? The best Spider-Man stories are when Peter is brought to that brink, but always overcomes it. It was evident in OMD and especially Superior that Marvel have permitted themselves a fundamental misunderstanding of the character to justify getting from point a to be, they are letting the story drive the characters, and not having the characters rich history and motivations dictate the logical course of events.

Oh yes, people say, "Slott sells", Spider-Man sells period. It's Spider-Man...same with Doctor Who...BBC's biggest monkey maker, yet if you ask any hardcore fan for the last seven years they act like Steven Moffat killed their parents or something...the quality is that bad to them, the show is in dire need of retooling (which it will get in 2018), unlike Slott, at least Moffat knows when to call it a day and move on to other projects, or concentrate on his real passion: Sherlock (just as Slott's true passion seems to be his Doctor Who rip-off Silver Surfer)

People defending this crap are only doing it out of brand loyalty, same way people apologised for Power Rangers during the Samurai and Megaforce seasons, or seasons three and four of Arrow....they don't really believe this is the best Spider-Man can possibly be, and if they do, then it just goes back to what blackspidey said in another thread "Oh you don't need to know the history".

Yes, you do. Continuity is key to understanding what the characters would and would not do in a situation. Continuity educates us. Continuity lets us form logic. I will not stand ideally by and watch you and other Slott cheerleaders make a mockery of that, while you sit in a burning cafe drinking tea and saying "everything's fine". I will be the one to take note of the fact some skin is melting off.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney really need to step in and clean out the polluted publishing division, starting with Perlmutter, Alonso, Quesada, Brevoort, Slott, and Bendis.

Perlmutter especially. Even more so than Quesada and Slott (still despise Quesada above all). See this video, its very awesome and informal:

Loading Video...

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Harvest? *Runs*

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He only writes garbage and cannot even write a good silver surfer.
0/10 worst Spider-Man writer
He's worse than Norman Osborn

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

looks like a one of Frodo's people.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ursaber

No Caption Provided

More like Gimli's people.

You know... he does resemble Doctor Octopus

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@solid_snake97 said:
No Caption Provided

More like Gimli's people.

You know... he does resemble Doctor Octopus

without the beard i would agree lol.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@magnetic_eye said:

Perlmutter especially. Even more so than Quesada and Slott (still despise Quesada above all). See this video, its very awesome and informal:

Loading Video...

I agree, the video is quite informative. Imagine how much better Marvel comics would be with a fresh new administration at the top hiring competent professional writers that respect the original characters' history and legacy.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: just out of curiosity what did Perlmutter do that's so bad? I know next to nothing about him

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@magnetic_eye said:

Loading Video...

I agree, the video is quite informative. Imagine how much better Marvel comics would be with a fresh new administration at the top hiring competent professional writers that respect the original characters' history and legacy.

^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

And They Should Focus Less On Diversity On More On Making Better Stories And Characters And Even Respecting The Characters And Their Source Material. I'm All For Diversity And More Need Of Diverse Talents But The Way Marvel Is Treating Diversity Like It's A Big Deal Like Replacing And Killing Off Characters For More Diverse Ones And Even How The Creators Are Putted In Each Books Just To Match Their Diversity Like For Female Series It's Women After Women After Women And For Something Like Asians And Gays It's The Same Thing. It's Really Ridiculous And Pretty Much Very Uncomfortable. If You Want To Put More Diverse Creators Into Your Company Then Just Put Them In Other Books That Don't Match Their Diversities But Show How Much They Care For These Characters And Projects Like If David Walker Did A Spider-Man Graphic Novel Or Ta Nehisi Coates Do A Fantastic Four Series Or If Becky Cloonan Handled Luke Cage Or Iron Fit Or If Marguirette Bennett Handled The Avengers Or Something Like Iron Man Or Captain America. All It Takes Is To Show How Much Hard Work People Put In These Books. Race, Gender, And Sexuality Are The Least Of Your Concerns. I Also Don't See How Having An Artist Would Effect Much On The Books. Sure The Artist Doesn't Match The Race, Gender, And Sexuality Of The Series But When Does Being An Artist Effect The Story ? I Mean If Gabrielle Dell Otto Drew A Series Based On Black Culture Would It Effect Anything On The Series? No! How Do You Guys Come To That Conclusion ?

I Also Believe You Should Just Take A Break From Events After 2017 Or Possibly Mid 2018. Just Take A Breather Here. People Are Just Really Annoyed By Having Event After Event After Event After Event In Just 1 Year Each . Just Focus On Telling Some Series, Expanding Their Universes, And Give Them Some Proper Story Arcs. They'll Still Sell Alot More Even If You Don't Put Any Events. And If You Have Some Plans For An Event, Just Please Be Something Other Than Heroes Fighting Eachother , Alright .

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@ursaber: just out of curiosity what did Perlmutter do that's so bad? I know next to nothing about him

Apparently his the big guy over at Marvel Comics, he's the boss. He's the one who's been pushing Marvel in the direction its in since the first Civil War. He's the one who pushes for more frequent events. He's the one who was taken out of control over the MCU because he was racist against the War Machine actor because all black guys look the same (talk about racist). He's also misogynistic and prone to male superiority which is why the Captain Marvel movie starring a female lead was delayed. He is the guy who shoves the X-Men to the side and pushes the Inhumans. The MCU and the Netflix series are not under his control which is why they're so awesome. He does have control over the cartoons such as Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider Man, which explains why they're so bad.

Watch this video: Entry 7

Loading Video...

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlackSuit

About Slott and his run at Spider-Man, I think we didn't had a so damaging run since the Clone Saga. The main problem is his characterization of Peter. He always downplay Peter, he ALWAYS show him as immature and incompetent, both as Peter Parker and Spider-Man. One of the main staples of Spider-Man is Peter trying to conciliate his double life as a superhero with his normal life and show how the former affects the later. However, he portrays Peter as someone that would fail in lead his normal life even if he was not a superhero. What is the point of follow a protagonist that will not succeed anyway? Under Slott's interpretation Peter Parker doesn't work, there is no tension because you know Peter will fail or if he win it will not do it in a satisfactory way.

His Spider-Man is utterly incompetent, always losing or when he wins is due dumb luck or the help of other characters (Slott's pets) or the result of his victory is advance the villain's plan. We expect the hero to be able in what he do, a failed hero is not compelling and we are seeing this for YEARS. At this point, younger readers think that is how Spider-Man was supposed to be. Several people prefer other heroes like Miles or Spider-Gwen because they are at least competent.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About Slott and his run at Spider-Man, I think we didn't had a so damaging run since the Clone Saga. The main problem is his characterization of Peter. He always downplay Peter, he ALWAYS show him as immature and incompetent, both as Peter Parker and Spider-Man. One of the main staples of Spider-Man is Peter trying to conciliating his double life as a superhero with his normal life and show how the former affects the later. However, he portrays Peter as someone that would fail in lead his normal life even if he was not a superhero. What is the point of follow a protagonist that will not succeed anyway? Under Slott's interpretation Peter Parker doesn't work, there is no tension because you know Peter will fail or if he win it will not do it in a satisfactory way.

His Spider-Man is utterly incompetent, always losing or when he wins is due dumb luck or the help of other characters (Slott's pets) or the result of his victory is advance the villain's plan. We expect the hero to be able in what he do, a failed hero is not compelling and we are seeing this for YEARS. At this point, younger readers think that is how Spider-Man was supposed to be. Several people prefer other heroes like Miles or Spider-Gwen because they are at least competent.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Slott never highlights Peter's strengths, he only adds to his weaknesses from which Peter never succeeds. He has never shown Peter to be victorious on his own accord.

Slott has stripped Peter Parker / Spider-Man of his individual uniqueness, formidability, resourcefulness, maturity and independence. This is why I strongly dislike Slott's version of Spidey, plus the fact that he's a terrible writer.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacksuit said:

About Slott and his run at Spider-Man, I think we didn't had a so damaging run since the Clone Saga. The main problem is his characterization of Peter. He always downplay Peter, he ALWAYS show him as immature and incompetent, both as Peter Parker and Spider-Man. One of the main staples of Spider-Man is Peter trying to conciliating his double life as a superhero with his normal life and show how the former affects the later. However, he portrays Peter as someone that would fail in lead his normal life even if he was not a superhero. What is the point of follow a protagonist that will not succeed anyway? Under Slott's interpretation Peter Parker doesn't work, there is no tension because you know Peter will fail or if he win it will not do it in a satisfactory way.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Slott never highlights Peter's strengths, he only adds to his weaknesses from which Peter never succeeds. He has never shown Peter to be victorious on his own accord.

Slott has stripped Peter Parker / Spider-Man of his individual uniqueness, formidability, resourcefulness, maturity and independence. This is why I strongly dislike Slott's version of Spidey, plus the fact that he's a terrible writer.

Who want's to vote that Slott's spiderman inhaled one too many vials of goblin serum and we are just seeing the effects it does long term to people?

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacksuit said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Let's just forget Slott and focus on Conway and Renew Your Vows. Another use, can't remember his username, once said that hating and ranting about Slott (no matter how fun it is LOL) takes far too much energy and attention that no one should give him.

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacksuit said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Yeah, and the most frustrating is all this crap not even is part of a character arc, it is just "the way Peter is supposed to be" according with Slott. All the No One Dies crap with Peter whining about people dying like a child for years just it be dropped without ceremony at the beginning of Vol. 3. He never think about his mistakes and always screw everything.

That is why I just not following Clone Conspiracy anymore, he just sidelined Peter to show Dr. Octopus and Kaine and when he shows Peter he is getting pwned by Otto, following the Jackal like an idiot, having all cloned villains being exposed as the death of the originals were his fault and he just get away being rescued by Spider-Gwen. Peter is just passive and ineffective AGAIN. This is Slott's MO and it is just VERY predictable at his point that the only way for this story be surprising is Peter actually succeeding in his own right.

_Reynard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By _Reynard_

Spider-man finally getting his shit together and having a company should be cooler than it's being written. It's sad that we're never seeing that happen by someone who can actually write.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_reynard_: I agree. Hopefully when Slott leaves he keeps Parker Industries for another writer to get his/her hands on!

MilSimCD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have wanted to read ASM for a long time now. Unfortunately ever time I read a comic or two from Dan Slott's run, I find it flat and shallow. What could be a great run, with PP running a company and growing up, has been a phone in story line. I wasn't into ASM growing up, but grew interested in him after the recent movies (lackluster as they were) and really became interested after CA:CW. When my daughter discovered him, we became big fans. I initially picked up ASM 648, then ASM 1 with hopes I would begin a life long journey of loving ASM. Just cant do it with Slott. The more I read about him and the more I see what he does, it is frustrating. I can see why life long fans are angry. And with his expressed love of Dr Who, I cant understand how more people don't see the rip-off that is Silver Surfer. Renew your vows has got me hopeful. Hell I even like Joe Kelly's version of Spider-Man from Spider-Man/Deadpool better then Slotts. Interested to see who can/will pick up ASM after Slott...........

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MilSimCD said:

I have wanted to read ASM for a long time now. Unfortunately ever time I read a comic or two from Dan Slott's run, I find it flat and shallow. What could be a great run, with PP running a company and growing up, has been a phone in story line. I wasn't into ASM growing up, but grew interested in him after the recent movies (lackluster as they were) and really became interested after CA:CW. When my daughter discovered him, we became big fans. I initially picked up ASM 648, then ASM 1 with hopes I would begin a life long journey of loving ASM. Just cant do it with Slott. The more I read about him and the more I see what he does, it is frustrating. I can see why life long fans are angry. And with his expressed love of Dr Who, I cant understand how more people don't see the rip-off that is Silver Surfer. Renew your vows has got me hopeful. Hell I even like Joe Kelly's version of Spider-Man from Spider-Man/Deadpool better then Slotts. Interested to see who can/will pick up ASM after Slott...........

You're lucky. I jumped into Spider Man comics via Superior Spider Man and I was left completely devastated. In preparation for the excellent Renew Your Vows Vol 2 by Gerry Conway, I went back and read the entirety of the Spider Man run from ASM Vol 1 1-160 and then from 257-543 as well as every other companion title. In truth my interest was mainly the Spider Marriage between Peter and MJ as it was the highlight of their run. My favorite run was JMS' run which spanned from ASM Vol 2 30-58 and ASM Vol 1 500-543 and I gotta say I wasn't dissappointed. JMS really nailed Peter Parker and Spider Man and introduced a level of maturity you can't see today. He was competent, responsible, adept, experienced, battle ready, etc.

Sadly its not just the quality of Slott's writing, its an even bigger problem dating back to 2007's One More Day storyline where Peter and MJ made an out of control, out of character deal with the devil Mephisto in order to save the life of Aunt May (who was already destined to die and wanted to) in exchange for their 20 year old marriage. Spider Man, the greatest marvel hero, the pinnacle of moral good committed the most atrocious sin to get a demonic divorce from the love of his life in an out of control story made by the instigator Joe Quesada because he didn't want the marriage anymore under his singular belief that it made it inaccessible to younger audiences.

In a way, Slott's run on Spider Man is infected by devil magic because of that horrid storyline making the quality of the writing terrible and the stories themselves supremely lackluster.

I would recommend reading the ASM newspaper strip and the ongoing ASM Renew Your Vows Vol 2 which feature a competent and great Spider Man.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If They Ever Have A Team Full Of Creators For Spider-Man, Who Would You Want To Handle Each Spidey Book? Because I'd Love To See Joe Kelly, Gerry Duggan, And Even David F Walker On The Books .

@ursaber@itsaworld@animehunter

@blacksuit

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If They Ever Have A Team Full Of Creators For Spider-Man, Who Would You Want To Handle Each Spidey Book? Because I'd Love To See Joe Kelly, Gerry Duggan, And Even David F Walker On The Books .

@ursaber@itsaworld@animehunter

@blacksuit

Like to see Gerry back in the main ASM book or give JMS the chance to continue his story because I do not accept OMD. I'm still waiting for the story to continue as I'm stuck in ASM 543. Thankfully the ASM newspaper and RYV are sweet anodynes while I wait.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO Slott's Spider-Man is the worst run ever by the worst Spider-Man writer ever. The Spider-Man mythos is damaged and in a deplorable mess because of the deconstructive and revisionist methods used by Slott. This is an imposter Spider-Man that is unrelatable.

▪️Killed off Peter Parker to use Doc Ock in the spotlight as a murdering perverted masochist.

▪️Had Doc Ock as Spider-Man in Superior Spider-Man masturbating whilst perving at Mary Jane - (sick)

▪️He fundamentally misunderstands Peter Parker. A recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter was all it took, as he said his favorite Spider-Man “villain” is, in fact, Peter Parker.

▪️Slott also said Peter's love for Mary Jane is 'anti-Marvel'.

▪️Peter is a supporting character in his own title, pushed to the background whilst Slott's characters seem to shine and come up with solutions.

▪️Nonsensical plot driven stories with no character development.

▪️So many examples of having no understanding of basic science to give his silly stories plausibility. Peter unable to convert kilometers into miles - it's laughable and Peter is meant to be a genius scientist???

▪️No immersible substantial stories to really get the reader emotionally engaged.

▪️Is a one trick pony using cheap marketing gimmicks, hype and controversy to anger fans.

▪️Deploys infantile campy dialogue better suited to Saturday morning kiddies cartoons.

▪️Has a habit of killing characters for no reason other than shock value.

▪️Story payoff rarely matches the buildup, they seem rushed or forced and characters are grossly OOC - The character derailment of Black Cat is a prime example.

▪️Most characters are dumbed down and he uses (deus ex machina) a lot as a plot device to move the story forward, i.e. a person or a thing (as in fiction or drama) that appears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.

▪️His Peter is an incompetent man-child in comparsion to any other Spider-Man writer.

▪️Slott's campy Spider-Man world only has one tone: wacky and nonsensical.

▪️Abuses social media by trolling fans, arguing, telling them to "F Off" and other deplorable online behaviour. Along with other staff pushing their political and forced diversity agendas in the comics and online.

▪️Is overrated by his minions and can't take any criticism.

▪️Loves his (Mary Sue / Marty Stu) pet characters too much and Regent is a lame villain.

▪️Uses silly pop culture references and toilet humor for Spider-Man instead of true genuine wit and clever banter that Spidey is better known for - eg, Peter at a press conference with his fly down or running around in the subway with web diapers on.

▪️Has turned Peter Parker into a Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne composite, where he runs an international company established by SpOck, has a lab full of researchers and scientists that do all the work for him, has female employees that either want to sabotage the company, sleep with him or kill him and Peter is none the wiser. Even the Doc Ock robot is shown to be smarter.

▪️No (slice of realism) to his stories. Stan Lee talks about the Marvel Revolution that "started a new style in comics as being more realistic, you can imagine fantasy superheroes being realistic". Not with Slott, it might as well be Spider-Man in Wonderland.

▪️Slott has never emphasized Pete's strengths, only enforced and created new weaknesses. We never see Peter victorious on his own accord as Slott always sets him up to fail.

▪️90% of Spider-Man's history has been as an adult. Slott has stripped away his individual uniqueness, competence, formidability, resourcefulness, maturity and independence.

Slott's run is more of a fan fiction love letter to his favorite character Doc Ock. That to me indicates what is IMO the worst run in Spidey's history because it negates all of the character traits that made Peter Parker / Spider-Man great for so many decades. Bring back a professional mature writer like JMS anyday without Quesada's interference and without the crappy writing of Slott the Sloth. Marvel need to bring back the mature pre (OMD) adult Spider-Man. Goodbye immature man-child.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: Why is Gerry, well loved, longtime veteran of Marvel pushed around and tossed to the side against these newcomers and editors who are half his age?! Shouldn't people like Gerry be running the show and not Bendis or Quesada???

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: Why is Gerry, well loved, longtime veteran of Marvel pushed around and tossed to the side against these newcomers and editors who are half his age?! Shouldn't people like Gerry be running the show and not Bendis or Quesada???

Guys Like Gerry Conway, Robbie Thompson, Peter David, And Even Jason Aaron And Even Guys Like Ta Nehisi Coates And Greg Pak Should Be Running Marvel. Bendis Should Get Little Work And Quesada Really Needs To Get Fired .

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good question. I think dudes like Quesada, Bendis, Brevoort really came in as the new guard during the 90's and pushed their way up the corporate ladder. Their creative juices dried up long ago, but they continue to wallow in the upper echelons of the Marvel pig pen.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The title of the thread. So much truth it hurts.