• 142 results
Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Slott has been writing Spidey for over five years now, some view him has one the best Spidey writers in the past fifteen years. Some would say he is the worst, so I wanted to ask some Comic Vine people what they think?

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm sure there are worse writers, but, personally, I've not read a worse issue of Spider-man, than the ones he's written in ASM Vol. 3.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but imo his current stuff sucks a bit

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, not to me.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not even close. He has his lows, but even his lows are better than say, Mackie's stuff. His highs are among the best issues of Spider-Man that I've read.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By amazingfantasy
animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By animehunter

@theheaven_guardian10: @amazingfantasy: @blackspidey2099:

What I'll say is, I've read far far better than Slott, JMS for one. On top of which, What Slotts done to the character especially to the female characters has turned me off Spidey completely, to the point it would need a writer of high calibre to rescue the book.

I will also say the Slotts Vol 3 & 4 have been especially bad, with 3 being the worst.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: I agree very much with you're post, nicely said indeed.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I'll say is, I've read far far better than Slott, JMS for one. On top of which, What Slotts done to the character especially to the female characters has turned me off Spidey completely, to the point it would need a writer of high calibre to rescue the book.

I will also say the Slotts Vol 3 & 4 have been especially bad, with 3 being the worst.

Yeah, that is your opinion and it is fine. I disagree, since I would put Slott's best even slightly above JMS' best, but JMS' lows above Slott's lows (since Slott's lows are usually combined bad writing and boring plot, while JMS sometimes royally screwed up the plot but still wrote well). Volume 3 was pretty bad, but I think Volume 4, for the most part, has been above average for Spidey.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By amazingfantasy

Again I agree completely with blackspidey... I'm just not sure whether I prefer Slott or JMS in general, but JMS lows is definitely above Slott's lows imo. Plus JMS gets bonus point for not having Ramos

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By magnetic_eye

▪️Killed off Peter Parker to use Doc Ock in the spotlight as a murdering perverted masochist.

▪️Nonsensical plot driven stories with no character development.

▪️No understanding of basic science to give his silly stories plausibility.

▪️No immersible substantial stories to really get the reader engaged.

▪️Is a one trick pony using cheap, marketing gimmicks and controversy to anger fans.

▪️Deploys infantile campy dialogue better suited to Saturday morning kiddies cartoons.

▪️Has a habit of killing characters for no reason other than shock value.

▪️Story payoff rarely matches the buildup, they seem rushed or forced and characters are grossly OOC.

▪️Most characters are dumbed down for the plot to work.

▪️His Peter is a manchild in comparsion to any other Spider-Man writer.

▪️Spends way too much time trolling the internet, is overhyped by fans and critcs and can't take any criticism.

▪️Loves his (Mary Sue / Marty Stu) pet characters too much. Regent is a lame villain.

▪️Uses silly pop culture references and toilet humor for Spider-Man instead of true genuine wit and sarcasm that Spidey is better known for.

▪️Has turned Peter Parker into a Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne composite, where he runs a company established by SpOck, has a lab full of researchers and scientists that do all the work for him, has female employees that either want to sabotage the company, sleep with him or kill him and Peter is none the wiser. Even the Doc Ock robot is shown to be smarter. Slott has never emphasized Pete's strengths, only enforced and created new weaknesses.

IMO Slott's Spider-Man is the worst run ever by the worst Spider-Man writer ever.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: ▪️Killed off Peter Parker to use Doc Ock in the spotlight as a murdering perverted masochist.

▪️Nonsensical plot driven stories with no character development.

▪️No understanding of basic science to give his silly stories plausibility.

▪️No immersible substantial stories to really get the reader engaged.

▪️Is a one trick pony using cheap, marketing gimmicks and controversy to anger fans.

▪️Deploys infantile campy dialogue better suited to Saturday morning kiddies cartoons.

▪️Has a habit of killing characters for no reason other than shock value.

▪️Story payoff rarely matches the buildup, they seem rushed or forced and characters are grossly OOC.

▪️Most characters are dumbed down for the plot to work.

▪️His Peter is a manchild in comparsion to any other Spider-Man writer.

▪️Spends way too much time trolling the internet, is overhyped by fans and critcs and can't take any criticism.

▪️Loves his (Mary Sue / Marty Stu) pet characters too much. Regent is a lame villain.

▪️Uses silly pop culture references and toilet humor for Spider-Man instead of true genuine wit and sarcasm that Spidey is better known for.

▪️Has turned Peter Parker into a Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne composite, where he runs a company established by SpOck, has a lab full of researchers and scientists that do all the work for him, has female employees that either want to sabotage the company, sleep with him or kill him and Peter is none the wiser. Even the Doc Ock robot is shown to be smarter. Slott has never emphasized Pete's strengths, only enforced and created new weaknesses.

IMO Slott's Spider-Man is the worst run ever by the worst Spider-Man writer ever.

Bravo good sir I agree with your post 10000000%, although I must admit to like Slott's work up until midway through his Ends on Earth arc. Since then it's been pretty lame in my opinion, not so much Peter being a CEO. But the way he got there and the way he maintains it's bothers me greatly.

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has some good ideas on occasion, but bad execution.

Imo his dialogue and characterization is the worst

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, he is the only one that has advanced peter since BND.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Yes, advanced him with nonsensical subversive story telling and some of the worst cringeworthy dialogue ever. He can't write a plausible story at all.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Yes, advanced him with nonsensical subversive story telling and some of the worst cringeworthy dialogue ever. He can't write a plausible story at all.

not even close. no comic book story is plausible. it's more plausible for spidey to be a genius than a broke photographer.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: said

@magnetic_eye said:

@christianrapper:

not even close. no comic book story is plausible. it's more plausible for spidey to be a genius than a broke photographer.

No, I'm afraid you've missed the point. There are lots of plausible comic book stories written by better talented writers.

And I agree, even though I did not address the issue; that yes, it is more plausible for Pete to be a genius (always has been) than a broke photographer, BUT Slott's writing and execution doesn't convince me. ?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZariusII

He's terrible. I say that as someone who liked him when he was starting out on those Ren and Stimpy comics all those years ago, I think his Batman work over at DC is top-notch, I liked She-Hulk, Spidey/Torch and New Ways to Die, so I do not come to this thread with an active bias towards the man despite all he has done to me and my friends online. I respect his professional accomplishments, but he has shown over the last several years he has lost his touch, he makes Spider-Man and his supporting cast neither important or endearing, he phones all of his stories in, Peter is a man-child who needs everyone to solve his problems for him who comes up with implausible mandates for himself ("noone dies") and is oblivious to the treacherous goings-on in his own company despite having fricking spider-sense, the characters that shine are Doc Ock and Anna-Marie, and that's generally down to Slott playing favourites with them.

He's wonderful on Silver Surfer, but let's face it, that character may as well be the 13th incarnation of a certain renegade time lord with the way he writes the book.

@christianrapper said:
@magnetic_eye said:

@christianrapper:

it's more plausible for spidey to be a genius than a broke photographer.

Him being a billionaire is'nt relatable or why anyone got into the character to begin with. It's not even right or responsible to have Peter make a profit out of a business he did'nt earn on his own hard work. If you're fine with that, you evidently have a poor grasp of what makes Spider-Man important to all of us.

But then, that's what I've always found to be the problem with Slott era fans...wilful ignorance of the core fundamentals and characterisations in order to stay committed to something that's clearly past it's sell-by date.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: said

"He's terrible. I say that as someone who liked him when he was starting out on those Ren and Stimpy comics all those years ago, I think his Batman work over at DC is top-notch, I liked She-Hulk, Spidey/Torch and New Ways to Die, so I do not come to this thread with an active bias towards the man despite all he has done to me and my friends online. I respect his professional accomplishments, but he has shown over the last several years he has lost his touch, he makes Spider-Man and his supporting cast neither important or endearing, he phones all of his stories in, Peter is a man-child who needs everyone to solve his problems for him who comes up with implausible mandates for himself ("noone dies"), the characters that shine are Doc Ock and Anna-Marie, and that's generally down to Slott playing favourites with them.

He's wonderful on Silver Surfer, but let's face it, that character may as well be the 13th incarnation of a certain renegade time lord with the way he writes the book.

@christianrapper said:

@magnetic_eye said:

@christianrapper:

Him being a billionaire is'nt relatable or why anyone got into the character to begin with. It's not even right or responsible to have Peter make a profit out of a business he did'nt earn on his own hard work. If you're fine with that, you evidently have a poor grasp of what makes Spider-Man important to all of us.

But then, that's what I've always found to be the problem with Slott era fans...wilful ignorance of the core fundamentals and characterisations in order to stay committed to something that's clearly past it's sell-by date."

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^. Believe it or not I did enjoy Slott's Batman: Arkham Asylum - Living Hell. In fact my deluxe edition copy arrived a few weeks ago. ?

In terms of ASM, I just think his creative juices dried up a long time ago.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheaven_guardian10: no it's hit or miss with the guy. some characters are acting completely out of character though but not the worst ive seen

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Nah I don't agree. I think he is awesome. Not perfect but awesome.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By The_Waffle

@magnetic_eye nailed it as always

Definitely one of the worst writers in the last ten years, people love him because he made Peter 'scienc-y' and a bigshot C.E.O and that's the only lame example they have, but what about the complete and utter character deconstructions along the way, c'mon.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: said

"Definitely one of the worst writers in the last ten years, people love him because he made Peter 'scienc-y' and a bigshot C.E.O and that's the only lame example they have but but what about the complete and utter character deconstructions along the way, c'mon."

^^^^^ SO TRUE ^^^^^ You know it's not so much about the circumstances he puts Pete in, (they're silly enough as they are) but rather the method of execution and lack of plausibility in the sub standard writing style.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I don't agree. I think he is awesome. Not perfect but awesome.

And yet I've yet to see a single reason as to why you think that. Saying someone is awesome is easy, proving someone is awesome in light of truly objectively bad storytelling is another.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

@zariusii: What is your problem. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you need to debate with anyone who has a different opinion. Stop doing that.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: Very well said sir, I feel the same way. Slott's execution is some of the worst I've seen, half stuff going on wouldn't be as bad. If it was executed better.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By christianrapper  Online

@zariusii said:

He's terrible. I say that as someone who liked him when he was starting out on those Ren and Stimpy comics all those years ago, I think his Batman work over at DC is top-notch, I liked She-Hulk, Spidey/Torch and New Ways to Die, so I do not come to this thread with an active bias towards the man despite all he has done to me and my friends online. I respect his professional accomplishments, but he has shown over the last several years he has lost his touch, he makes Spider-Man and his supporting cast neither important or endearing, he phones all of his stories in, Peter is a man-child who needs everyone to solve his problems for him who comes up with implausible mandates for himself ("noone dies") and is oblivious to the treacherous goings-on in his own company despite having fricking spider-sense, the characters that shine are Doc Ock and Anna-Marie, and that's generally down to Slott playing favourites with them.

@christianrapper said:
@magnetic_eye said:

@christianrapper:

But then, that's what I've always found to be the problem with Slott era fans...wilful ignorance of the core fundamentals and characterisations in order to stay committed to something that's clearly past it's sell-by date.

there is nothing relatable about a genius scientist with spider powers. also, what's relatable about underachieving? what is relatable about having every freaking thing taken away from you just for stupid pis reason? no one can have the world dump on them every time.i am so sick of those 'parker luck' type stories. it's pretty dumb to be a photographer forever. is still the same peter. you guys still remind me of people who call their friends sellouts or 'company men' because they actually do things to improve themselves. also, i don't relate to a character that's constantly getting screwed. after awhile it just gets old. you find the photographer parker relatable. i read spiderman because of the humor and stories. i want him to improve.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Anyone that would bring back the clone saga at least deserves an nomination.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By christianrapper  Online

or someone who would write BND 2...Aunt May's revenge.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion, Slott is one of the best Spider-Man writers.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also add this,

Anyone who knows me, knows I am a BIG fan of Mary Jane, so knowing that Mary Jane is going to be wearing the Spider-Armor, you'd think I would get all excited over it, but Slott has done what I never thought possible, he made me lose that excitement over that fact. And any writer who does that to me with a character, that I've been following for years, deserves to be called a bad writer.

Saying that, I will admit to one thing, the ONLY time I enjoyed reading ANYTHING from him, has been Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows and issue 5 of Spider-Man/Human Torch.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so honestly, I don't like Slott's writing but...I don't think he is the WORST. People may say he is the best writer in the past 15 years but the past 10 have not been so great thanks to OMD which made readers leave the comics.

I've read his mangaverse Spider-Man and its really not that bad, but I really don't find his run on Amazing-Spiderman to be that great. But that doesn't mean he is the worst writer. They are plenty of writers that probably have done a worst job....

Remember Joe Quesada? Good ol' Joe Queso, the guy who made OMD and HELPED make Gwen Stacy into a gal that banged Norman Osborne? I think Joe is far worse and they are probably some waaaay worse than Joe (but i have yet to find one)

Maybe Slott is loosing his touch. Writers can get too insane when on a series for too long, and I feel that the Marvel team in all departments needs some new blood. Not only in writing but also in the Editorial department and Art as well.

Slott has some kinda neat ideas. I mean, I did kinda enjoy the comic where Peter meets a version of himself where Uncle Ben was still alive (he wrote that one right?), RYV was kinda sweet at times and Spider-Verse had some moments... but I can't help but feel betrayed by his writing, especially with characters like Black Cat, Mary Jane and his introductions to Silk and forcing her to be some sorta Mary-Sue. It almost like he can't write female characters....which is a problem cause Spider-Man relies on strong female characters for the narrative in a lot of the stories.

I did enjoy RYV but yeah, wasn't written as well as it could have been, and he admits he doesn't like MJ and Peter together.

Is he the worst? No. Are all his comics bad? No. Are his latest comics good? Meeeeh, could be better. Did he revive the spidey-car? Yes and HE DESERVES THE CORNER OF SHAME FOR THAT!!! I think he's kinda lost his touch and he needs to step back and the team needs to bring in someone else.

MicroSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing that he has written has sucked me in. He's books kind of feel like a chore to read.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: Very well said sir, I feel the same way. Slott's execution is some of the worst I've seen, half stuff going on wouldn't be as bad. If it was executed better.

Thanks, I agree with you.

ablackmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even close.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: Thanks my friend and I agree with you're assignment of Slott as well, I mean the guy brought back the spidey-car. That should be enough strikes against him alone, not mentioning what he did to the ladies of Spider-Man's world.

Rob Collier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my honest opinion, he has good ideas that sound great on paper. Some of the execution is good (Big Time, Spider-Island, Renew Your Vows), others are bad (some of Superior, the issues after Spider-Verse, the Zodiac arc) and others I am scratching my head at (Silk, the Inheritor lineage, MC2 Parker's death). He isn't the worst writer, but he is certainly not the greatest. All of my shock in all of this that he use to work in advertisement, but manage to shoot out some good stuff like the current Surfer and Amazing titles.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Waffle

@theheaven_guardian10: The creative team never took the 'Spider-Mobile' seriously back then either, they knew that when it was created because it was so silly, but leave it to Slott to resurrect something that should stay well and truly dead. Yeah you're right, the female characters have been treated terribly, which is a huge shame.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By Stahlflamme

@the_waffle: Did someone say Clone Saga? Did someone say Dead No More?

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my honest opinion, he has good ideas that sound great on paper. Some of the execution is good (Big Time, Spider-Island, Renew Your Vows), others are bad (some of Superior, the issues after Spider-Verse, the Zodiac arc) and others I am scratching my head at (Silk, the Inheritor lineage, MC2 Parker's death). He isn't the worst writer, but he is certainly not the greatest. All of my shock in all of this that he use to work in advertisement, but manage to shoot out some good stuff like the current Surfer and Amazing titles.

Reminds me of this:

"If any of you have ever worked in advertising or marketing...kill yourself. You are the ruinier of all things good. You are Satan's spawn, filling the world with violent garbage"

-Bill Hicks

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle: The treatment of the female characters is one of my biggest problem and issues with Slott's work, he has made nearly all of them unrecognizable. Stuff like the Spider-Car is just further proof of the guy's lackluster ideas and concepts.

Razorback12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he is a terrible writer for the spider man books for many reasons. He does not progress Peter as an individual with any of Peter's own doings. He hates Mary Jane because she is "not what marvel is about" because she too pretty and not relatable but making Peter a CEO and millionaire sure is not relatable. He is on record saying he does not care what the fans think and I think any good writer should write things that fans will enjoy and not anger them all the time. He has written more things that are hated than liked and I think that he should step aside and let someone else with new and better ideas take over.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@razorback12: Oh hell yes. Couldn't agree with you more. He may sometimes have a neat idea but that's not enough or almost never pays off. What is Marvel Comics thinking by letting him write Spider Man for so long. Are they really making so much money with what they're doing. Ever since stuff like Marvel NOW, All New Marvel NOW and now All New All Different Marvel NOW accompanied by a horde of crossover events have made good comics end before there time and relaunched and changed in a very short span of time. Marvel trying too many new things with their comics and alienating too many fans. Marvel needs to refocus on making every title a focused story rather than having them converge in too many crossovers.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@razorback12: Oh hell yes. Couldn't agree with you more. He may sometimes have a neat idea but that's not enough or almost never pays off. What is Marvel Comics thinking by letting him write Spider Man for so long. Are they really making so much money with what they're doing. Ever since stuff like Marvel NOW, All New Marvel NOW and now All New All Different Marvel NOW accompanied by a horde of crossover events have made good comics end before there time and relaunched and changed in a very short span of time. Marvel trying too many new things with their comics and alienating too many fans. Marvel needs to refocus on making every title a focused story rather than having them converge in too many crossovers.

it's obvious that Slott is worn out. the guy has some great ideas but lately he seems to be getting stale and mostly when it comes later into Parker Industries he seems to not be doing them right. honestly if i have to pick a writer it'd have to be Robbie Thompson .

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By magnetic_eye

@marvelman92: said

@ursaber said:

it's obvious that Slott is worn out. the guy has some great ideas but lately he seems to be getting stale and mostly when it comes later into Parker Industries he seems to not be doing them right. honestly if i have to pick a writer it'd have to be Robbie Thompson .

^^^^^ ALL OF THE ABOVE ^^^^^

To me Slott is now a one trick pony relying on hype, controversy, cheap marketing gimmicks, deus ex machina plot devices in nonsensical stories, toilet humor and silly pop culture references - all signs of an infantile writer.

He's definitely run out of steam, he has no understanding of basic science and physics and also lacks the technical writing skills and foresight for masterful substantial storytelling. IMO he will always be a fan-fiction hack who should go back to the advertising world from whence he came.

No wonder ASM is a bloated flatulent mess.

Rob Collier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rob Collier

He has wonderful ideas. Spider-Island and Big Time were executed well. Spider-Verse and Renew Your Vows could have been better if he put more thought into it. Plus, making him CEO of his own company seems very off. Sure, the Daily Bugle's good and all; but I don't feel keen on Peter working at for a paper that slanders his superhero name forever.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garbage writer. Everyone above me said everything that needed to be said