Comic Book Question of the Week RESULTS: Why Do You Love Spider-Man?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Spider-Man is our first Character of the Month, but his time in the spotlight is coming to an end. We've previously asked you about your favorite Spidey writers, villains, and more, but this week, we wanted to ask you a basic yet very important question: why do you love Spider-Man? Is it because of his indomitable spirit? Is it the way he cracks a joke even when the odds are stacked against him? Maybe you just adore his outfit and abilities? Or perhaps you read his book because you're a big fan of his villains and supporting characters? The Comic Vine crowd had two days to think about this question and one attribute received a ton of support: Peter Parker's morals and willpower.

No Caption Provided

Ever since Uncle Ben's death -- a tragic event he technically could have prevented -- Spider-Man has realized he needs to use his abilities to help others, no matter what the cost may be. The web-slinger has decided to put being a good and noble hero above all else and there's literally dozens of great examples of this. Refusing to call it quits against the Juggernaut; standing alone against the Phoenix Five; lifting that massive amount of rubble to save Aunt May... we all have our favorite examples of Parker's drive and they're most definitely not in short supply. Even if you don't love Spider-Man, I'm sure many of us can agree he's an admirable hero. Let's see why some Comic Viners say they love Spider-Man.

PunyParker

"Sure he appeals to people because of his excellently designed costume,and the fact that he's a wise cracker.

But...

Spider-Man's an everyday guy.Spider-man is someone far away from perfect,and someone who always pays for his mistakes......but that doesn't stop him from trying to prove to the world that doing the right thing is good.He struggles to balance his life as Peter Parker and Spider-Man everyday,and faces obstacles on his every step.

He's a good guy with a strong will and personality.

And the most important thing of all,the moral lesson of Spider-Man is something that can be applied to every human being on the planet,and is the most right thing to do at any given situation you face in your life.

With great Power,comes Great responsibility."

No Caption Provided

TheAcidSkull

"Voting is a real pain, because most of the characteristics said here are all essential to why I love this guy. I guess when it comes down to it, he's just an up beat guy, even in the face of danger he can still put a damn smile on your face. He is condemned by everyone but still manages to squeeze some joy out most (not all, obviously) of his experiences. Moreover, his honest and awesome morality make him all the more amazing (no pun intended), he's just a good person who suffered because of a mistake all unexperienced teenagers would make, that's what makes him relatable. Plus, when a guy is as kind as Peter Parker, you start to wonder what would happen when you get on his bad side..."

No Caption Provided

Outsethero

"The reason I love Spider-Man is because he is probably one of, if not the most relatable characters I've had the pleasure of growing up with. There is so much about Peter Parker and Spider-Man that I've been able to relate to and, at the same time, can see reflected in everyone around me. Peter Parker himself has so many aspects to his personality that I am sure anyone can find something in him they can relate to, whether it's his quirkiness, his humour, his morals, his intellect, his willpower, his past, and so forth. Not only is he just your every day guy, but the fact that he's so relatable on its own makes it all the more impacting just how much anybody could be Spider-Man, and that's just absolutely amazing.

Spider-Man's origin and his story is one that stands the test of time. You can reimagine or reinterpret it countless times or even put it in a completely different setting and time and it'll give off just a big of an impact as it originally did and keep its core essence. Spider-Man, as has probably been said before, is an ideal. One that shows us that he could be anyone at all, and is proven even more so by the many different "Spider-Men" [Eg. Miles Morales, Miguel O'Hara, etc] who are all their own, separate person with their own set of circumstances and even their own separate time, yet are still Spider-Man through and through!

I may have grown up with Peter Parker, but anyone who has or will grow up with Miles, Miguel, Kaine or any other are and can be just as big of a Spider-Man fan as I am. Spider-Man is an ideal, one that anyone can relate to and feel comfortable with, and that's what I love about him."

No Caption Provided

BuNKiTZ

"I love everything about Spider-Man, but it's definitely got to be his morals and willpower. It's just so incredibly inspiring and amazing how he never gives up no matter how impossible the odds, and how he always manages to stand back up again after enduring so much pain and loss in his life. I just love Spider-Man so, so much; he's so funny and he's got the coolest powers (I'm more fond of characters with enhanced physicals rather than god-like status like Superman or Batman, so to speak), but this is really what I love the most about him :) "

Here's the poll results.

• His morals and willpower! The dude's a true hero. 43%
  • His lighthearted personality always entertains. 28%
  • Sorry, I don't love Spider-Man. 11% (GASP!)
  • His powers and webbing are just too awesome. 8%
  • Don't tell Spidey, but I mostly like him because of his great villains/supporting characters. 8%
  • The costumes! Can't love a character if they look lame. 1%
No Caption Provided

What is YOUR favorite example of Spider-Man's morals and willpower? Share it with us below. Also, feel free to make future Question of the Week suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter. Want to continue celebrating Spidey? He's currently in the Batman Battle of the Month (go vote!!!) and we posted his Best Battles, Must Read Stories, and Best Covers. Don't forget to vote for the next Character of the Month, too!

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Wow 11% don't like Spider-Man? Jeez.

I love his comedy. So many comics now adays are all nitty gritty and so it's nice to be able to read Spider-Man and get a character who, despite having the ability to be serious sometimes, can be hilarious and light-hearted about things.

I also just think he's a really relatable character.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

His morals make him a naive looser for me.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I don't think Spider-Man is really an everyday guy, not anymore.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I think @punyparker said it best. He's the everyman. But really his ability to face danger with a smile and through all the bad things he's experienced only become stronger mentally and morally is a great inspiration. Like the poll says, he's a true hero. Even those more powerful than Spidey have looked up to him, the way so many have looked up to Captain America.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Honestly, I didn't vote in this one. I just couldn't decide, they're all such big factors.

spartan_john

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate spiders, they are nasty, but I don't know why I just like spidey.

RICON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like spiderman he is really flexible,has a lot of strength, and he has spider senses that works about 80% of the time. And i like spiderman because he can beat the best JLA hero batman. But if batman studies his acrobatic, and flexibility he probably can win.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My comment got featured!? Awesome! This seriously made my (birth)day! It's been a pretty boring and even somewhat disappointing day, but this just turned it around and just made me so happy! I'm ecstatic!

If it wasn't clear yet in my comment, I really, really love Spider-Man; and for that love to be recognized in such a way that my comment in which I expressed that love would be featured in an article from one of my favorite websites is just... fantastic! :)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Every character has changed since his 1st appearance......Batman was "colourful" in the 80s.

Spider-Man has changed the least.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That moment of spidey against Magik and Colossus is one of my favorite spider-man moments ever. Truly shows the hero that he is.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tximinoman

I thought that 'because he has a big d*ck' was the one that was going to win.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

Every character has changed since his 1st appearance......Batman was "colourful" in the 80s.

Spider-Man has changed the least.

I know but that still doesn't mean anything.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lcazt1996: See I want to agree with you, but that simply not the case any more. When I started reading comics I found Ultimate Spiderman to be relatable, while Mainstream Universe spiderman seemed confusing (at the time he was a teacher, married and an avenger). Sadly relatability has long gone from most spiderman titles with all this onemoreday/superiorspiderman/spiderisland nonsense.

When I watch the Rami Spiderman Movies I think "Yes this is what i want from a spiderman book" but when I look at the marvel universe I just don't see that.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bunkitz said:

My comment got featured!? Awesome! This seriously made my (birth)day! It's been a pretty boring and even somewhat disappointing day, but this just turned it around and just made me so happy! I'm ecstatic!

If it wasn't clear yet in my comment, I really, really love Spider-Man; and for that love to be recognized in such a way that my comment in which I expressed that love would be featured in an article from one of my favorite websites is just... fantastic! :)

Which one was your's?

Heizenberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's because he's actually...batman

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I hate Spider-man, he isn't a fun character, he gets people killed just to crack jokes. He complains consistently. He can't take responsibility, which is what his character is suppose to be about but he never does. Sorry I haven't liked Spider-man for at least 10 years and not through lack of trying.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lcazt1996: See I want to agree with you, but that simply not the case any more. When I started reading comics I found Ultimate Spiderman to be relatable, while Mainstream Universe spiderman seemed confusing (at the time he was a teacher, married and an avenger). Sadly relatability has long gone from most spiderman titles with all this onemoreday/superiorspiderman/spiderisland nonsense.

When I watch the Rami Spiderman Movies I think "Yes this is what i want from a spiderman book" but when I look at the marvel universe I just don't see that.

Oh yeah I can see what you mean by that. I wasn't necessarily thinking so much about like right now stuff. I was actually, off the top of my head, thinking about like when Spider-Man has been in the Avengers and stuff and you can tell sometimes he's like sh*tting himself because he's just some guy with some tiny powers next to guys like Thor and Hulk.

Outsethero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Outsethero

@bunkitz: I know exactly how you feel! Spider-Man is my absolute favorite and I nearly jumped out of my seat seeing my comment being featured!

Having my post on why I love Spider-Man being featured on an article specifically about why people love him and what makes the wall-crawler so great is just... Wow. It really made my day.

You basically took the words right out of my mouth, but I agree wholeheartedly. xD

Beserkerfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is this site dedicated to sucking off spiderman or something? So much spider fanboyism

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beserkerfury: Would you prefer sucking off Batman? I personally don't suck off men at all, but hey, have at it!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 k4tzm4n  Moderator

is this site dedicated to sucking off spiderman or something? So much spider fanboyism

Classy. If you actually read the articles, you'd see Spider-Man was voted as our first character of the month. And as the CotM, the winner will have various articles geared towards them. If you don't like Spider-Man, that's fine. Say why. But immature remarks like that are totally unnecessary.

Sighburr_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love his comedy. So many comics now adays are all nitty gritty and so it's nice to be able to read Spider-Man and get a character who, despite having the ability to be serious sometimes, can be hilarious and light-hearted about things.

I agree here, its funny, but not to the point of Deadpool's "funny" randomness.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found him really relatable, when I was 15. His morals, strength of character, relationships, intelect and how he uses his abilities makes him one of my favourite superheroes.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That 11% can GTFO lol

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i picked the villians because i always believed an hero is defined by the adversity he faces.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Well, I guess I can respect that the 11% were honest about their opinion.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to be a party-pooper here but I don't see Spiderman as someone to draw inspiration from, or as an ideal to strive toward. For me that hero would be Captain America in many ways. First, of all he didn't become a superhero by accident and later use his powers for fame; he got his powers because he wanted to fig ht for his country and thus he volunteered for the Super-Soldier serum. Second, he always seems to see the right path to take even when other heroes don't as in the case with the question of killing the Kree Supreme Intelligence, or the Superhero Registration Law. Lastly, like you all seem to see in Spiderman he will never give up unless he sees it is absolutely necessary like at the end of the Civil War.

As for Spiderman he's made waaay too many dumb mistakes that I don't think Captain America would make. For example, Steve would not have let Uncle Ben die because he would have stopped the mugger if he saw that he had a chance to, the Symbiote would not have been able to control him because of how good of a person he is, and Steve's aunt would not have been shot because he didn't unmask himself in front of everyone thus letting all his enemies know who he really is, and even if he did he surely would not have made a deal with the devil to let her live.

Also I don't see how anyone can be Spiderman because if any normal personal person is bitten by a radioactive spider they would die instantly instead of becoming a web-slinger and wall-crawler. However, anyone can become buff, put on a patriotic costume, and carry a shield to fight people with.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@vandinejd_1991:

Also I don't see how anyone can be Spiderman because if any normal personal person is bitten by a radioactive spider they would die instantly instead of becoming a web-slinger and wall-crawler. However, anyone can become buff, put on a patriotic costume, and carry a shield to fight people with.

I don't see how it's possible to get blasted by a gamma bomb and turn into a big green rage monster. I don't see how it's possible to grab a hammer off the ground and be turned into a Norse god that controls elements and can crush planets. I don't see how grabbing a green ring and turning into a space cop and control will power in energy form is possible. I don't see how it's possible to shoot concussive energy beams from an extra dimension out of my eyes is possible. And since you want to talk about Cap as the every day man, I don't see how it's possible to take a super steroid and get shot with a beam of light and it somehow makes someone run 5 miles in 5 minutes or throw a shield that absorbs all kinetic energy through tanks with ease is possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@vandinejd_1991:

I don't see how it's possible to get blasted by a gamma bomb and turn into a big green rage monster. I don't see how it's possible to grab a hammer off the ground and be turned into a Norse god that controls elements and can crush planets. I don't see how grabbing a green ring and turning into a space cop and control will power in energy form. I don't see how it's possible to shoot concussive energy beams from an extra dimension is possible. And since you want to talk about Cap as the every day man, I don't see how it's possible to take a super steroid and get shot with a beam of light and it somehow makes someone run 5 miles in 5 minutes, throw a shield that absorbs all kinetic energy through tanks with ease is possible.

That was brutal, but fun to read. Kudos.
That was brutal, but fun to read. Kudos.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@vandinejd_1991:

I don't see how it's possible to get blasted by a gamma bomb and turn into a big green rage monster. I don't see how it's possible to grab a hammer off the ground and be turned into a Norse god that controls elements and can crush planets. I don't see how grabbing a green ring and turning into a space cop and control will power in energy form is possible. I don't see how it's possible to shoot concussive energy beams from an extra dimension out of my eyes is possible. And since you want to talk about Cap as the every day man, I don't see how it's possible to take a super steroid and get shot with a beam of light and it somehow makes someone run 5 miles in 5 minutes or throw a shield that absorbs all kinetic energy through tanks with ease is possible.

Hooyah.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By micah007123

Only like Spider-Man because of Superior. Don't care at all about naive Peter.

Awesome4466

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like everything about him.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some might be surprised to hear me say it, but Spider-Man's a great character.

OK I said it.

One of my favorite characters, if not my favorite (at least once upon a time), as most who know me are abundantly aware, is Wolverine. Not as he's currently written, or how he is written the majority of the times in this day and age, but how I remember the character growing up. And I guess one of the best compliments I can give Spider-Man is to say that one of the defining Wolverine reads growing up was the 1987 Wolverine vs Spider-Man one shot by Jim Owsley and Mark Bright. The two icons were done right, their dynamic a joy to read. Their tussle became an immediate classic resulting in a decades long rivalry and inspiring countless debates.

Their dialogue while fighting had me really empathizing with the then teenage/young adult Parker as he was essentially fighting for his life, and to save the life of an innocent, against a natural born & relentless killing machine. It was terrific characterization of both those icons. Parker was pushed to his moral threshold. A talent Wolverine had back then, in bringing characters to their limits and having them face their fears (as he often did with Kitty Pride).

I might be a bit jealous as Parker has truly held onto a lot of what made him attractive as a hero decades ago, while Wolverine seems to be losing more and more of the ethos from the 80's and part of the 90's.

Spider-Man's a classic everyman hero who is truly hard to root against. Unless he's fighting the ole Canucklehead that is ;)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some might be surprised to hear me say it, but Spider-Man's a great character.

OK I said it.

One of my favorite characters, if not my favorite (at least once upon a time), as most who know me are abundantly aware, is Wolverine. Not as he's currently written, or how he is written the majority of the times in this day and age, but how I remember the character growing up. And I guess one of the best compliments I can give Spider-Man is to say that one of the defining Wolverine reads growing up was the 1987 Wolverine vs Spider-Man one shot by Jim Owsley and Mark Bright. The two icons were done right, their dynamic a joy to read. Their tussle became an immediate classic resulting in a decades long rivalry and inspiring countless debates.

Their dialogue while fighting had me really empathizing with the then teenage/young adult Parker as he was essentially fighting for his life, and to save the life of an innocent, against a natural born & relentless killing machine. It was terrific characterization of both those icons. Parker was pushed to his moral threshold. A talent Wolverine had back then, in bringing characters to their limits and having them face their fears (as he often did with Kitty Pride).

I might be a bit jealous as Parker has truly held onto a lot of what made him attractive as a hero decades ago, while Wolverine seems to be losing more and more of the ethos from the 80's and part of the 90's.

Spider-Man's a classic everyman hero who is truly hard to root against. Unless he's fighting the ole Canucklehead that is ;)

@laflux What is this?..............

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Indeed

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How in the hell did I miss this!

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is way cooler than Batman!

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think about this: 89% of people like something, ON THE INTERNET

SmoothGuy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SmoothGuy69

Spider-Man is just plain simply cool. Spider-Man has managed to maintain his fun lighthearted comic book purity. Many books like to take the darker bleak route, but you can rest your money on Spider-Man that he will come through with upbeat stories and positivity that other books don't offer. Yeah, he has his bleak times, but he manages to bounce back, and I think that is what the people like, how he bounces back. When you look at his books, visually they do not appear much different from how they did back in the day when he first came out, he has maintained his consistency. The creators found the Spider-Man formula back in the day, and it stills works today.

Here, I would like to make a point. I have been noticing that there have been comparisons to Spider-Man and Batman. The comparisons are merited because the characters are similar in some ways: both are smart, both primarily work alone, both are more human than hero, and tragedy is part of their motivation. Now here's the point I would like to bring up, both suffered a similar tragedy, a loss of a loved one or loved ones in Batman's case, but both dealt with it in drastically different ways. Spider-Man took it as a chance to better himself, not take life for granted, and make a difference. Batman also made a similar choice but he chose to go the darker route and take the fight to the criminals. But here's the thing, had the tragedy with Batman happened when he was older, say the age of a teenager, would Bruce Wayne have had the maturity and coping ability to better deal with the tragedy had he been older? If he was a older would he have reacted the same way? And if Spider Man was younger, say the age of Bruce when his tragedy happened, would he have reacted the same way he did with darker feelings? So like I said, both are similar but Spider-Man was older when the tragedy occurred with him and I think him being older helped him to bounce back and take a positive where as Bruce was younger and subject to whatever feels he had at the time. Also, Peter's personality was already formed so he knew how he was going to deal with it, but Bruce was so young that the tragedy had a big impact on who he was to become. Just somethin to think about.

Dynamo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smoothguy69: So true, the age and psychological factors that people forget on what they made them who they are today.

As for me, I like the web-head because well. . .he's an upbeat guy, totally buy that dude a drink (and Benjamin Grimm aka The Thing too lol).

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i love spiderman because BEN REILLY

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By ComicStooge

@vandinejd_1991:

The written equivalent of this GIF:

No Caption Provided

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 122

Can't love a character if they look lame.

true that's why people hate Robin

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ma_rc_01 said:

@lcazt1996 said:

Think about this: 89% of people like something, ON THE INTERNET

Hahahaha fair enough xD

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that 'because he has a big d*ck' was the one that was going to win.

I think it's because he's actually...batman

Pretty sure this is the same guy. Fail at trolling bro.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to be a party-pooper here but I don't see Spiderman as someone to draw inspiration from, or as an ideal to strive toward. For me that hero would be Captain America in many ways. First, of all he didn't become a superhero by accident and later use his powers for fame; he got his powers because he wanted to fig ht for his country and thus he volunteered for the Super-Soldier serum. Second, he always seems to see the right path to take even when other heroes don't as in the case with the question of killing the Kree Supreme Intelligence, or the Superhero Registration Law. Lastly, like you all seem to see in Spiderman he will never give up unless he sees it is absolutely necessary like at the end of the Civil War.

As for Spiderman he's made waaay too many dumb mistakes that I don't think Captain America would make. For example, Steve would not have let Uncle Ben die because he would have stopped the mugger if he saw that he had a chance to, the Symbiote would not have been able to control him because of how good of a person he is, and Steve's aunt would not have been shot because he didn't unmask himself in front of everyone thus letting all his enemies know who he really is, and even if he did he surely would not have made a deal with the devil to let her live.

Damn, there is so much wrong in this post.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, who's gonna be the new CotM? :p

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers