Scott Sndyer Talks BATMAN #49 Spoilers and the End After 51

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

If you've read this week's Batman #49, you know the Superheavy story just took a crazy amped up step in bringing Bruce Wayne closer to becoming Batman once again. (You can read our review here). Scott Snyder was joined by James Tynion IV, Yanick Paquette, and Nathan Fairbairn on a bizarre journey into what Bruce's life could be like.

We talked to Scott about the issue and there will be some spoilers for it as well as some minor spoilers for issue #50. Along the way, Scott even talked about his final issue of Batman. What?!? Read on to find out more.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: The issue opens with a look at a different Bruce Wayne and Council of Owls. How much of that backstory did you come up with?

SCOTT SNYDER: We actually came out with a lot of backstory and scenarios—me and James [Tynion IV]. He’s a real world builder like in Batman and Robin Eternal. He loves that stuff. The idea was to try to create scenarios that weren’t just fun things, but something that would really show us a sense of another opportunity for who he was. Here the idea was with the Council of Owls, Joe Chill being in the cave, the possibility of his villains being his helpers…all of it. We really wanted it to be something where it felt almost like a possibility he would want somehow. The Manor moves to the top of Wayne Tower and so on. This is Bruce as a well adjusted Batman—if he was over the trauma. If he was able to get over the scar, he’d still have all these abilities to be Batman. Here, what we wanted to do was say, is that possible? Would that make for a better Batman? Batman would still be the same pathologically driven detective character we know. Instead he’s able to overcome some of the scars of his life.

No Caption Provided

CV: Do you think you’d ever want to fully explore this version, or the others seen here, at some point?

SCOTT: I’d love to! I have so many stories in my head for all these different things. The ones we did here are sort of glimpses. You’ll notice, one of the themes I love to do, I’ve done throughout this run, is to try and see how far I can extend the mythology in my mind in different variants. Like in the DETECTIVE COMICS #27 short with Sean [Murphy], that reality where he clones himself and became Batman for hundreds and hundreds of years, we’ve sort of introduced that into continuity.

Also in Endgame, there was all the different ways he could die when he was exposed to the fear gas. I love doing moments where we get to see insane conventions of the mythology and push the characters to their limits. The thing that’s amazing about it is when you do—any of these things I’d be happy to write. I’d love to write Batman, Bluebird, and Lark like we saw for a moment at the beginning of Endgame—fighting aliens or whatever. I know we could make it work. Not because Batman is flexible or rubbery, but because at his core, there’s that one thing he has to overcome to bring meaning to it all. That could be touched on in so many different ways. There could be Bruce Wayne adopted by the Kents, Bruce Wayne if his parents had lived, there’s just so many. There’s so many different story possibilities I’d love to write.

CV: Who came up with the white suit design of this Batman?

SCOTT: I suggested it. I asked for something that’s bright and kind of regal and a little more like the sun. The bat symbol here is the sun that lights the city. I suggested it to Yanick [Paquette] and he really came up with a killer design. I’m so thrilled with what he’s been able to do.

CV: Julie Madison drops a pretty big bombshell about what she knew. Will you explore that later?

SCOTT: Yup. For me, one of the things about this arc is defining a lot of the conventional troupes and try to avoid things that look familiar. We wanted every turn to be something unexpected, even if we’re taking characters that would make a really good plot reveal and play them differently in ways that might be more subtle. For example, in the beginning, I think everyone expected Geri Powers to be a big villain and Julie Madison to secretly be Bloom and stuff like that. There’s twists like that, and you’ll see in 50 there’s some fun things coming up that’ll surprise you.

Ultimately I think this arc has been not just about defining plot conventions but taking these characters to places you haven’t seen emotionally and psychologically. With Julie, it was about making her a real and viable partner—making her someone Bruce admires and looks up to and inspires him. She also understands him better than he understands himself. In that way, I wanted it to be something where she’s the hero. She also makes a big sacrifice. She also plays the part of her father by pulling the trigger or providing the trigger. She provides the ‘gun’ that will kill this Bruce to bring back Batman.

CV: Alfred doesn’t want Bruce to go back to being Batman. Will he still be willing to perform his role in assisting Batman?

SCOTT: You’ll have to wait and see! I think it’ll change their relationship in some ways. You’ll hear a little about it in 50 and I think 51 and so on. We’ll definitely address it. For me, Alfred is the father figure for the son that doesn’t understand. It’s a really rough road. I think about it a lot. What if my son wanted to be something that puts him in the line of danger that I hate seeing him do, but I knew deep down it was the only thing that would make him happy. That’s what Alfred is going through.

CV: Will you touch on Alfred’s role in We Are Robin at all?

SCOTT: No, I’m not going to really touch on that in Batman itself. I’m trying to give everyone enough room to wrap up their stories and do what they do best, you know? Like stuff in Justice League, We Are Robin, or Batman and Robin Eternal, I’m trying to steer clear of and let everyone have the space to finish their stories. I want them to have the pieces they need and make Batman pretty singular.

No Caption Provided

CV: If Bruce can get his Batman memories back, will he have to train his body again to perform the moves he might remember being capable of?

SCOTT: Spoiler! I don’t mean to spoil 50, but we end Bruce’s emotional arc here with a big revelation that he found a way back and has a bunch of tough decisions and Jim’s story is still going. Jim’s really the protagonist of the arc. His biggest challenge is coming. What that means for Bruce is that now it’s time to have fun with it. Bruce is now going to be the most awesome Batman you’ve ever seen. For me, the idea is if he becomes Batman again, we’ll bring him back healed. He’ll be faster and stronger than he’s ever been. No more scar tissue. No more wear and tear. He’s like Bruce physically 25 almost. Not the age but his body is healed. His body is perfect. At the same time, he’s got all the skills. You should prepare to see him kick some serious ass.

CV: What can you tease about issue 50?

SCOTT: Just that Greg [Capullo] and I have had a blast together on this run. It’s our second to last issue together. 51 is my last issue as well on Batman. For me, 50 is the quiet issue and 51 is really just a letter to the fans from us and a letter to Batman. It’s the lightest I’ve ever written. Not lightest as in happy but light as in not as many panels per page. It’s really really open. It’s a chance for Greg to draw the close before we take our break. 50 we wanted to be the opposite. We wanted it to be the most explosive, jam-packed sort of blockbuster crazed issue we’ve ever done. I hope it delivers in that regard.

Batman #49 is now on sale. You won't want to miss what happens and what's coming up.

Update

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Snyder is leaving too?! since when?!?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Scott going to DETECTIVE has not been confirmed. I tried asking.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a Batman without Snyder; the equilibrium of the cosmos doesn't bear thinking about...

solidus021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the rumors of him moving to Detective Comics are true. I don't want to speak too soon but since he said he's leaving then I think we can conclude that. I don't know... I'm just guessing here..

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

In my opinion one of the best runs on Batman! Excited to see where he goes next.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??????? First Greg and now Scott? Anyways whoever replaces him hope it's someone who knows how to write a good Batman story.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solidus021: What if he did a Batman Elseworlds series? I'm just making things up here.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't really see the point of Snyder moving to Detective Comics unless Gordon is going to remain as GCPD's Batman while Bruce is Batman as well...I mean what's the point in moving from one Batman book staring Bruce to another Batman book staring Bruce?

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

"Wait, what's this about a final issue?"

What? Gimmicks about a series possibly ending used to promote sales?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@doc-holiday: "Final issue" as in Scott's final issue.

I know but I also know how select sub-titles can be in getting you to read the article :P

I had my fun

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks this run is coming to an end :-/

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

@danhimself: I take it he just wants to do smaller Batman stories, and the main book doesnt allow him to do that I guess

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By TDK_1997

I am happy that he's leaving Batman because I think that he's starting to repeat himself and trying to beat an already beaten road. Let's hope that somebody talented replaces him.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't wait for the last two issues. It was a really great run. Now let's hope the new writer-artist duo are just as good and also hope for an awesome Omnibus or two!

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gmanfromheck: lol I would buy the hell out of that..Snyder should have his own continuity.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@gmanfromheck: That would be pretty cool actually, as you figure the'chains' so to speak would be off for him to create anything he'd like within a Batman Universe, I'd like to see that

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I don't really see the point of Snyder moving to Detective Comics unless Gordon is going to remain as GCPD's Batman while Bruce is Batman as well...I mean what's the point in moving from one Batman book staring Bruce to another Batman book staring Bruce?

Because Batman is going biweekly event driven and Detective is staying self contained

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CitizenJP

Totally random thought: What ever happened to Lincoln March? I wouldn't mind seeing that character again sometime in the future.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

So after issue 51, that officially makes Johns the only creator from the New 52 launch to actually still be on the book he launched? How depressing.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

So is Batman just ending at issue 51? Because Snyder has only talked about issues up to 51, never 52 so does that mean another person does 52 before rebirth, or does batman fall under a strange release where it can't get to 52 before rebirth?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i jumped onto the new 52 batman late.. at the time i was just following eternal. i was able to get in a little bit prior to endgame, so i experienced some of the magic.

I might end up starting to pick up detective, that is IF snyder is going over to that title.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@danhimself: If the rumors are to be believed (and I'm not saying they are), then Batman will be going to a twice a month shipping schedule with more event driven stories. While Detective will allow Snyder to do whatever he wants essentially. The problem with this strategy if the rumor is true is that their reasoning for double shipping Batman is because it is their top seller but I doubt it would be with a weaker and less consistent creative team. I know that if these rumors are true, I'll likely drop Batman and start buying Detective.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is possibly the biggest middle finger they could give to the New 52 ... ending it on issue 51!

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm personally fine with Snyder leaving, It was a solid run but I'm hoping the whole Batman line gets a good creative shake up. I'd love for one of the books to return to some smaller scale detective stories, like Bucellato and Manupal were doing.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenjp: I was really hoping Snyder and Capullo would use the character in their final arc. I hope Snyder returns to the character some day.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Snyder said he wasnt going to touch on the stuff that's happening in Robin War or Justice League Darkside, he pretty much summed my problem with DC and that's there arent any strong continuity with these characters. We have Batman as God in one book and Batman with amnesia in book. Hopefully with rebirth, DC will meld together a better continuity in their universe.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spoiler

Scott: "Bruce is now going to be the most awesome Batman you’ve ever seen. For me, the idea is if he becomes Batman again, we’ll bring him back healed. He’ll be faster and stronger than he’s ever been. No more scar tissue. No more wear and tear. He’s like Bruce physically 25 almost. Not the age but his body is healed. His body is perfect. At the same time, he’s got all the skills. You should prepare to see him kick some serious #$%."

Awesome.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@outside_85: 5 years is a long time to be on one book

By in my case the 'depressing' part is that I dont really care for what he's putting out :)

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

I thought it was confirmed he would be in Detective since I remember seeing some of his tweets stated he had stories planned for Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Two face, Catwoman and others

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Stellar421

Whoever's taking over for them has some very big shoes to fill.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mantequilla: What if DC just created a new Batman title? You know they totally would be up for creating another.

Lemuel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenjp: He actually recently showed up in the last few issues of Robin War.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sad he's leaving, but excited for some new blood.

Either way, this is definitely one of my top five runs for Batman, and may go down as one of the best runs on any character.

Just please do NOT replace Snyder with Johns on Batman.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By saoakden

Wow he's leaving Batman, that suck. Really loved his run on Batman. Wonder who's going to replace Snyder on Batman?

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But didn't Scott and Greg say they'd be returning to Batman together? Did they mean 50 and 51 by that?