Sweetness on a Stick University pt 2 ("How to complete a Legacy")

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By shanana

No Caption Provided

Class is back in session guys! (No distracting picture let’s do it right this time). The question I get asked the most is “How can I become a legend” and the first thing that comes to mind is “How the heck should I know” but if I had to take a whack at it I’d say “Just be active” This is how to Complete a Legacy.

In this section you will learn how to:

·          Write an rpg post/ Respond to an Rpg post

·          Create a Team/ Recruit members

·          Advanced Bio’s

Writing's/ Responding to an Rpg post

I’ve trained a few Viners and many of them all start off the same way having a good premise but lacking the major components of an actual rpg which include:

·          Detail

·          Sentence Structure

·          And basic Rpg structure.

Probably the hardest thing about Rpging is the opening, but a very descriptive opening sets the tone for the rest of the rpg. I know I know enough talking right! Ok let’s do it!

Opening an rpg, you want to start with a place that has limitless options for description, now I will be battling Myself, as Gerald the Sloth. Here’s an example of an opening post.

“Glancing out over the huge wildflowers, he laid eyes on the huge waterfall that seemed to viscously pound the riverbed with a relentless supply of water. Most of his other targets had been taken down within the cages of the concrete jungle, being in an actual jungle for a change was a bit soothing. Shifting his position in the tree, he sat waiting just listening to the chatter of the jungle, he almost hoped his target didn’t show, because this would allow an extra day or so to just chill before “The hunt began”. Running his hands through his crew cut, he quickly found out the consequences of sitting in a tree, Mosquito’s and lots of them, dropping from the sentry, he stayed clocked by the chlorophyll filled plants, and he cautiously glanced around the area…all clear. Walking across the plain he made his way over to the perfect blue river, glancing down at his reflection he let off a sigh filled with anxiousness. His choice to come out in the opening had its dire risk, it was when he stopped hearing the sounds of the forest, and did he himself get worried.

Ok that’s an opening post example, clearly it’s not finished but that’s how I’ll start if off, Gerald is in the forest waiting for his target to come, so we get the sense that Gerald is an assassin, and he’s done this before.

Ok now this is the part where I call “setting up the opponent” . I’ve faced a lot of people who didn’t know how to set me up. Here’s kind of an idea of what I’m talking about. “I’m the Villian doing bad stuff, and the hero is somewhere in my general area, now instead of coming to me, they make me come to them, I’m a Villain WTF am I finding a hero for, understand?”

You probably don’t, but I’ll try to help you, ok let’s say that I’m on a bridge an I’m destroying it, and the hero is in the city, wondering what is happening, at the end of the hero’s post they need to either be on the way or on the bridge so the encounter between the hero and Villain is there. Understand? No! Fine I’ll show you! By posting the body of the RPG from Sha’s point of view (Remember Sha is the Villain, and we are going to assume that Gerald has spotted her)

The forest had went on idle, there was no sound; other than that of the mighty waterfall glancing around the forest Haven the Ninjan queen tried to zero in on what the disturbance   might be but, the mist coming from the waterfall corrupted her keen eyesight. Moving through the forest, she could feel her anger growing, someone was watching her. She couldn’t understand why the world wouldn’t leave her alone, she didn’t take place in the events of judgment day, and so why were they after her?

Aaaaaand Cut, now in our rpg so far, Gerald has spotted Sha, Sha knows Gerald is around but she can’t find him, now what should Gerald do? Confront the Ninjan, if Gerald doesn’t make the interaction between him and Sha in his next post often times that ends up with the Sha (player) not having much to post about. That’s what I mean when I say setting up an rpg, put your opponent in the position to come in. That is if the battle is done on a whim, now one thing I’ve seen eclipse and Portrait both do is set it up like a story rpg, which is probably better, but I’m from the old school so I do it the other way. Both are great ways though.

Alright let’s finish this Rpg Post (The Gerald One).

Glancing down at his feet, he picked from the soggy mud what appeared to be a picture, what shocked him more was that it was a picture of himself. He squinted his eyes at the sight of the ruffling bushes across the riverbed. “Bingo”, he said with a smirk he had found his target, and his target had found him the question was, how he was supposed to get across the river. Glancing at the waterfall he could see a tree protruding outwards. Tying a rope to the side of the arrow, he finished by pulling his Diamond Black ICE he fired and Arrow right into the side of a tree. Tugging on the rope to check its sturdiness, he scaled the rope and then jumped from the tree onto the other side; landing in front of a blond woman cloaked within the tree’s he aimed his bow at her not saying a word.

No cheating
 No cheating

Now when you put the two posts together it should look like this:

“Glancing out over the huge wildflowers, he laid eyes on the huge waterfall that seemed to viscously pound the riverbed with a relentless supply of water. Most of his other targets had been taken down within the cages of the concrete jungle, being in an actual jungle for a change was a bit soothing. Shifting his position in the tree, he sat waiting just listening to the chatter of the jungle, he almost hoped his target didn’t show, because this would allow an extra day or so to just chill before “The hunt began”. Running his hands through his crew cut, he quickly found out the consequences of sitting in a tree, Mosquito’s and lots of them, dropping from the sentry, he stayed clocked by the chlorophyll filled plants, and he cautiously glanced around the area…all clear. Walking across the plain he made his way over to the perfect blue river, glancing down at his reflection he let off a sigh filled with anxiousness. His choice to come out in the opening had its dire risk, it was when he stopped hearing the sounds of the forest, and did he himself get worried. Glancing down at his feet, he picked from the soggy mud what appeared to be a picture, what shocked him more was that it was a picture of himself. He squinted his eyes at the sight of the ruffling bushes across the riverbed. “Bingo”, he said with a smirk he had found his target, and his target had found him the question was, how he was supposed to get across the river. Glancing at the waterfall he could see a tree protruding outwards. Tying a rope to the side of the arrow, he finished by pulling his Diamond Black ICE he fired and Arrow right into the side of a tree. Tugging on the rope to check its sturdiness, he scaled the rope and then jumped from the tree onto the other side; landing in front of a blond woman cloaked within the tree’s he aimed his bow at her not saying a word.

YAY we constructed an rpg post, one that only has 347 words in it, I usually make mine between 500- and 1,000, unless I’m facing Nova, then the sky is the limit. However I think a good 500 word post is a good number, it allows you to get all the details of a fight. Back in the day it was nothing for me to put up a 3,000 word post in like every rpg, then I realized no one was reading so, I stopped. Making a good story is what counts, I doubt you can make a good story with fewer than 500 words in an rpg, and if you give me a 10,000 word post I’m simply not reading it, use your best judgment. Also not every Rpger uses Dialogue, even if they don’t that doesn’t mean you can’t, my character Sha talks to herself A LOT that’s a form of Dialogue. Ok Now Sha’s response. (Starting from where she spots Gerald).

Before she had time to react, he was in her face pointing what looked like a high powered bow in Sha’s face. Careful not to make the slightest move, she needed to choose her next action carefully; one move could be the end of her newly resurrected life. “I’m going to put my hands up”, she said at the archer who to this point had still not said anything. When her hands were both placed in the air she quickly flew up, escaping the close range threat and landing not too far from him; she wanted to return to earth under the radar, but she could only guess her resurrection wasn’t too subtle. When her feet touched the ground, she had taken the offensive, kicking her foot through the earth causing a huge tremor that she hoped would knock him off balance.

And Cut, since Gerald didn’t end with an attack, which means more or less that Sha had to do a first attack, so I did. Now take a look at the word I have bolded, it is the most important word out of the whole paragraph. It’s an implied expression, which means it may or may not happen. Giving Gerald the option to take the hit or not take the hit, you must give the option for your opponent to take or dodge the hit. That’s called a God Mod! Ooooooooooooooooh scary. Automatically hitting your opponent is a Auto-Hit ooooooooooooh scarier!

All together Sha’s response looks like this.

The forest had went on idle, there was no sound; other than that of the mighty waterfall glancing around the forest Haven the Ninjan queen tried to zero in on what the disturbance   might be but, the mist coming from the waterfall corrupted her keen eyesight. Moving through the forest, she could feel her anger growing, someone was watching her. She couldn’t understand why the world wouldn’t leave her alone, she didn’t take place in the events of judgment day, and so why were they after her? Before she had time to react, he was in her face pointing what looked like a high powered bow in Sha’s face. Careful not to make the slightest move, she needed to choose her next action carefully; one move could be the end of her newly resurrected life. “I’m going to put my hands up”, she said at the archer who to this point had still not said anything. When her hands were both placed in the air she quickly flew up, escaping the close range threat and landing not too far from him; she wanted to return to earth under the radar, but she could only guess her resurrection wasn’t too subtle. When her feet touched the ground, she had taken the offensive, kicking her foot through the earth causing a huge tremor that she hoped would knock him off balance.

That pretty much sums it up, if you have questions then ask! ^_^

Creating a Team/Recruiting Members

When creating a team, you really want to go for something that hasn’t really been done, (Except for me I created the Vine Titans West because I couldn’t get that damn song

Teams AWWW
 Teams AWWW

out of my head) Or something with a twist. After a while a team’s seem to be alike, and eventually they die with the exception OF, ICE, and The Wolfpack and WAL. Trying something with an edge may keep your team around for a while.

Don’t be scared to enlist rookies, you can have them on your roster and work with them, until they are ready for major rpg play.Renagade Lantern took Feral Nova under his wing look how big she is now. Mighty Magneto allowed me to be a VV before I had the requirements look at me now. Rookies with talent could be a good thing, they just need direction.  I think it’s important for everyone to have a Canon Team, which is the team of experience rpger’s that will represent you in Vine wide rpg’s, let’s face it everyone can’t do it.

Take my Vine Titans for example, My Canon Team would be.

Solar Orchid

Inertia

Sozuko

Myself

Bombard

And Maybe Ebony Sparrow (IF she ever looked at her pm’s lol)

Lifepulse

The others aren’t really active or don’t really have the story rpg format down pact so they would be my battlers and Team Rpg people.

Now you really want to enlist people who will be there when you need them, people who are on the vine for one month and then leave and come back, that’s not going to work. Also there seems to be people with a weird fetish for joining the same team under another account (Idk why) but be on the lookout for that too! It’s not a big deal, but then again it is.

Advance Bio’s

Do you remember in the rp where Sha referenced “Judgement day” that was a reference to a rpg that happened to the Vine, having a bio that deals with KEY vine events are good because you can tie your bio in with other characters, make new stories and …uh stuff! ^_^

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Statesman
@Sha said:
"Probably the hardest thing about Rpging is the opening"
I actually find the opening post for rpgs to be he easiest.
Avatar image for vine_titans_west
Vine Titans West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vine Titans West

It's hell for me lol

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Statesman

Guess I should explain a little on why I like opening posts. The first post should be easy (imo) because it's your idea. If you did not have some clue, idea, inspiration then the rpg would not be happening in the first place. So if you are the 'idea' person behind the rpg setting up the intro should be easy as you already have an idea to base things off. Besides that what I like about opening posts is that you get to set the scene. Where, when, why are all things you get to decide. Something that becomes a little more different later down the road. In that opening post everything is how you vision it. There is no outside influence to dictate something, which later down the road there are others who you have to take into consideration. But with that first post, it's all yours.

Vine Titans West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vine Titans West

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Never Really thought about that lol

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Statesman

After that first post you are reacting to what's going on. Which there is nothing wrong with that. But as many rps have seen, things later start to take a life of themselves. In some cases that is all fine and dandy, but other times it ruins and destroys the original goal.

Vine Titans West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vine Titans West

You might have to write Part3 lol

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Statesman

rofl
A world of no thank you. You're doing a top notch job. ;)

Vine Titans West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vine Titans West

Did you understand the part about "Setting up the character" because it confused me, so i just said to hell with it

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Statesman
@Sha said:

Ok now this is the part where I call “setting up the opponent” . I’ve faced a lot of people who didn’t know how to set me up. Here’s kind of an idea of what I’m talking about. “I’m the Villain doing bad stuff, and the hero is somewhere in my general area, now instead of coming to me, they make me come to them, I’m a Villain WTF am I finding a hero for, understand?”

This part?
Basically about selling your opponent. Help set them up as the 'Big Bad' and not some cheap punk. If you make the person you are up against sounds like a badass then they are more likely to try and do the same in return for you. Take hits that count and make sure to touch on them later on. Don't just forget about them and never mention them again. If you get an injured leg for example, mention limping or it stifening, etc. The same goes for story aspects as well. Make the plot seem like this disbolical scheme of a master mind.
Vine Titans West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vine Titans West

I left that whole section out but that's not what i mean.

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Statesman
@Vine Titans West: Setting up the character as in story wise, reasoning for them encountering one another?

Best advice for that is to make it personal. That always helps to add a dynamic flare to things. If you are the villain (or protagonist) this usually falls into your lap. But does not have to. Examples of things to do (Global take over is not always the best route to take) attack a loved one. Capture them, hold them hostage, torture them etc. Though you might want to check before hand with your opposition to make sure it is all good. (They might not have any family etc). Capturing a team mate is always a good way to get entire teams involved. Or attacking a major land mark (New York has had enough trouble choose a rarer location).

Keep in mind not everything has to be a Nemesis plot. By that I mean the be all end all of plots. It can just be a minor conflict which helps evolve both your character and your adversary. Who knows if things go well you might even get a rival out of it which can be revisisted later on in other rpgs.
Vine Titans West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vine Titans West

Say you are sitting on a bridge and i'm flying above you. and then i destroy the bridge, you get out and help all the other people on the bridge but don't actually look for me. 

that's what i'm talking about. maybe there's another name for i guess

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Statesman
@Vine Titans West said:
" maybe there's another name for i guess "
Plot hooks? Openings.
If someone gives you an IN to an rpg. Take it. 
Far too many people complain about never feeling like they 'fit in' with the rpg. That they are in it and just doing their own thing. IF that is what they are wanting then that is fine. But everyone should feel welcomed and part of the main story that is going on in some way shape or form.
Vine Titans West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vine Titans West

Im not sure but shhhh your giving away the content for part 3 lol

Statesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Statesman
zips his lips >_<
lol
MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#16  Edited By MichaeltheFly

These blogs should be pinned, I tell you. They are that good.

*Infinity*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By *Infinity*

Once again, grand job! I don't find opening posts hard in anyway, I find responding to the opening post is the hardest and im not really sure why. Anyways, im actually working on a team now....so if anybody is interested just drop me a pm.
Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Belladonna

I like this and my bio ;P

Stryke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stryke

Sha's writing RPG for Dummies now? haha lmao! Awesome...

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By shanana

LOL!

Stryke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stryke

haha your av goes well with it :D...that lady is crazy!

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Kurrent

Good Thread Sha

Morning_Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Morning_Dew

Thanks

Morningstar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Morningstar_

IDK if there is enough to cover yet for a part 3

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@Sha:  WOW! 500 words that is a lot never thought of RPGs as being so wordy, always kinda thought of them as a script with very in depth movement choreography, are there like RPGs for beginners something Non-Canon, where new people just learn the ropes and can learn what they are doing wrong, before they start dealing with serious people?
Morning_Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Morning_Dew
@hydrabob said:
" @Sha:  WOW! 500 words that is a lot never thought of RPGs as being so wordy, always kinda thought of them as a script with very in depth movement choreography, are there like RPGs for beginners something Non-Canon, where new people just learn the ropes and can learn what they are doing wrong, before they start dealing with serious people? "
You don't have to write 500 words. Yes, battles are typically used for newbies to learn the ropes
.Andferne.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By .Andferne.
@Solace said:
"Yes, battles are typically used for newbies to learn the ropes "
Pfft. I enjoy 'battles' because they allow for a more in depth characterization between yourself and whoever you are rpging with.

Well that and they are so much easier to keep track of. lol
Morning_Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Morning_Dew

I think battles help someone learn how to rpg faster than stories do

.Andferne.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By .Andferne.
@Solace: Defiantly easier to learn part of the rules there. Fundamentals at least.
SurelockeHomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SurelockeHomes

You just can't bump sweetness on a stick enough.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Mercy_

I actually love opening posts. I used to dread them, because I constantly undermined my own ideas and skill. Now my only obstacle is my procrastination.

Avatar image for yellowflowerevy
yellowflowerevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By yellowflowerevy

Ok I have always been confused by non IM or chat like posts. Mostly because I don't get what they possibly need to write so much about. If you are starting that makes sense, but even in your example I am not clear what Sha just did in response to the threat. Does she fly? Did she jump? How high?

From the many rps I see it seems some parts are assumed to be known. As a person very new to posting a long post and trying to detail everything with outgoing too far being redundant, or just too much Purple prose and no real substance is all I have seen. (This is not to say that's what you are doing now. I barely know how to navigate these ...threads (that's what they are called right?)? None the less tell you a history of your works here.) So I know chat proto-call goes as follows

[Character name]: [description of position and area (this part is usually done to start), along with current actions of said character] (I usually use "**" to show action but it can vary) and then if your character is speaking you type that out as well.

It doesn't have to take a page or a paragraph. Those I see usually doing that are just going on and on about how pretty their character is, "her hair glistened in the wind as the sun shone on her pale luminous delicate skin. Her eyes were blah blah blah" or it will be a looooong winded explication of a SUPER EMOTIONAL AND DARK PAST that makes them very aloof and none emotional to your character. But sooner or later their AMAZING/EMOTIONALLY SCARED character will turn their brilliance toward my own and a conversation will start. But in my eyes that whole description was useless since it really did not do much for what we are doing at that time. (I also forgot to add in the super uber super powered character that are so strong they can throw mountains or whatever with their pinky)

I want to know is this really what I am supposed to write about when I strive to make a paragraph? If not, what is it I am meant to do?

Describe area, Describe characters reaction or feelings towards the situation, Give a brief descriptive view of character, And if necessary what that are saying or doing.

But what else? I feel like I am missing something vital that I just don’t understand/follow or I am making this too big of a thing.

In IM rps I usually answer as I see fit to whatever the people before me wrote, and the more I am written into a corner (the for example someone comes up automatically disarms my character and is now holding them down.) I end up writing very little cause there is little to say. Or I write a paragraph , I don’t really have an average amount I type.

All in all I don’t get it and I really want to. And I am really hoping this makes sense cause I don't always write as well as I assume I do, when I explain myself.

Thank you for your time,

Yellow

(gosh its a lot to read orz)

_Quickster_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By _Quickster_

@yellowflowerevy said:

Ok I have always been confused by non IM or chat like posts. Mostly because I don't get what they possibly need to write so much about. If you are starting that makes sense, but even in your example I am not clear what Sha just did in response to the threat. Does she fly? Did she jump? How high?

From the many rps I see it seems some parts are assumed to be known. As a person very new to posting a long post and trying to detail everything with outgoing too far being redundant, or just too much Purple prose and no real substance is all I have seen. (This is not to say that's what you are doing now. I barely know how to navigate these ...threads (that's what they are called right?)? None the less tell you a history of your works here.) So I know chat proto-call goes as follows

[Character name]: [description of position and area (this part is usually done to start), along with current actions of said character] (I usually use "**" to show action but it can vary) and then if your character is speaking you type that out as well.

It doesn't have to take a page or a paragraph. Those I see usually doing that are just going on and on about how pretty their character is, "her hair glistened in the wind as the sun shone on her pale luminous delicate skin. Her eyes were blah blah blah" or it will be a looooong winded explication of a SUPER EMOTIONAL AND DARK PAST that makes them very aloof and none emotional to your character. But sooner or later their AMAZING/EMOTIONALLY SCARED character will turn their brilliance toward my own and a conversation will start. But in my eyes that whole description was useless since it really did not do much for what we are doing at that time. (I also forgot to add in the super uber super powered character that are so strong they can throw mountains or whatever with their pinky)

I want to know is this really what I am supposed to write about when I strive to make a paragraph? If not, what is it I am meant to do?

Describe area, Describe characters reaction or feelings towards the situation, Give a brief descriptive view of character, And if necessary what that are saying or doing.

But what else? I feel like I am missing something vital that I just don’t understand/follow or I am making this too big of a thing.

In IM rps I usually answer as I see fit to whatever the people before me wrote, and the more I am written into a corner (the for example someone comes up automatically disarms my character and is now holding them down.) I end up writing very little cause there is little to say. Or I write a paragraph , I don’t really have an average amount I type.

All in all I don’t get it and I really want to. And I am really hoping this makes sense cause I don't always write as well as I assume I do, when I explain myself.

Thank you for your time,

Yellow

(gosh its a lot to read orz)

Yo! LL! Where's that Private Message? Wait, I got that starred. Where'd you say that one thing that everybody liked? Not that thing, the other thing. The other one!

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lady_liberty

@_Quickster_: I can't find it sadly. But its alright, when I get back I'll look again.

Pensacola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pensacola

@yellowflowerevy: I never really went into detail about actual posting, until SS4 but I deleted that one. I'm pretty sure help is on the way now though.

-Sha

_Quickster_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By _Quickster_

@Lady_Liberty: I don't remember where that was. It might have been Thoughty Thoughts, or the Peeve, or one of the random teamy threads.