Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The Cosmic Speech, known to the initiated as Terrarum, is a primeval sort of language utilized by an ancient, possibly Aetheroian, seemingly extinct species of beings far predating the modern times, and through some means, have been able to evade public documentation through the centuries. However, through odd engravings and symbols found in a select few ancient ruins, scrolls found across the world, or even odd symbols seemingly burned into the ground, a select number of fairly esoteric factions have managed to learn of Terrarum. The nature of this sort of speech is seemingly mythical, a particularly obscure legend unknown to the majority of human masses. One would either have to be highly determined or particularly resourceful to find vestiges of truth in the myth, and thus, discover the actual history of the speech.

Those whom have been able to find and learn the terrarum language, have soon discovered its true capabilities beyond simply being a lost language, discovered why it has also been referred to as, "The Cosmic Speech" by some. Those without genes or ties to the ancient, extraordinarily powerful beings that created this language are still able to use it as simple speech, without the added effects, though it remains that every terrarum word utilized can produce an effect depending on the knowledge, understanding, and will of the user. When Terrarrum is put into effect, by practically any practitioner or learner, it produces a sort of cosmological rift that implements whatever the user spake into reality (In a similar fashion to reality warping).

When one reads the a terrarum word, their minds are automatically unlocked to being able to speak in such a manner, without the need to search and decipher any more words. However, it is not quite as simple as many would believe. Simply knowing of the language won't due, nor will it produce the intended effects. One must meditate on the language itself, they have to mean the words that they wish to implement into reality, they must have the proper knowledge on drawing out the cosmic power to activate the words, and the will to bring out the full effect of the reality change. And even upon mastery, they must still focus on implementing the effect into reality in order for the terrarum take place (Otherwise, it is nothing more than a mere word spoken in a unique language). That is why most users of this ability are only able to truly utilize a handful of reality-changing words, because of the time spent simply learning one or a few. More determined or skillful individuals may be able to learn dozens, and practice a number of them to great effect. But only a truly, exceptionally and extraordinarily powerful being will be able to implement any word they speak into reality.

Practitioners
Practitioners

Mortals, metahumans, sorcerers, mutants, gods, aliens, cosmic beings, not one single kind of being is able to use Cosmic Speech. Sorcerers and those practiced with magic would usually be singled out as those most able to use the speech, as it is sometimes confused with being magic. As well, by lesser practitioners, the ability itself appears to be primarily used as a way to draw out attacks, such as propelling targets away with waves of unrelenting winds, or freezing those caught in the way of the voice solid. However, given the right degree of skill with the ability, there is a much greater number of uses for it...

OOC and Rules

The Rules
The Rules

- The Cosmic Speech is a concept that pretty much anyone is allowed to use for their characters (so long as the origins and established information about the speech isn't altered). Be them street-levelers, mid-tiers, high-tiers, cosmics, magic characters, whatever. If you want your character to have knowledge/use terrarum, I will add their names to the list of practitioners, learners, and users (Not in a group sort of way, but simply to keep track of everyone who knows) The degree of power your character has using Cosmic Speech is up to you, just don't forget to sell the following two things:

- You should have a reasonable explanation for your character learning of the cosmic speech, and more importantly, discovering of its true existence/learning it. It isn't a popular myth, and few organizations around the world know of its actual existence. I'm fine with characters happening upon etchings in ancient ruins, and possibly studying/having their minds opened to use the cosmic speech. Or maybe they managed to discover one of the esoteric groups aware of this knowledge, and gained their trust enough to be taught in the ways of the speech.

- As I said, the level of power over cosmic speech your characters has is up to you. But you should probably sell having that much control over the words, and by that I mean sell how hard it is to translate words into Terrarum words and channeling the cosmic power of said words (I should say, translation is easier, but making the word operational is difficult). Human or lesser powered characters probably won't going around stringing together full terrarum sentences and having every word make an impact on reality. It might be a bit easier for supernatural or stronger characters to master more words, possibly dozens if their that determined to do so (If only because their greater abilities may enable them to access the words easier). Cosmics, divines, and gods may be able to learn a BUNCH of words, possibly stringing together full sentences, maybe even semi-monologues. But only the strongest and most initiated can speak it with perfection...

- If you're wanting a literal translation/Equivalent that you can incorporate into your posts (Instead of just outright saying that they're speaking in weird tongues/different tongues while writing English dialogue), latin or greek works.

- Hope you enjoyed the read, and hopefully this concept gets to be used a bit. Aside from me simply wanting to make something like this, this can also be considered an attempt to incorporate more fantasy elements into the nU (and into CV Earth as a whole, considering space and alternate fantasy world stuff tends to not work out, unfortunately).

Avatar image for deactivated-59c7179498eb5
deactivated-59c7179498eb5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fus Roh Dah.

TheMaskofMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do twy have any effect if carved into something? Say, a mask, for instance?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I wanna learn them and shout people off cliffs. For mutantkind >____>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do twy have any effect if carved into something? Say, a mask, for instance?

Hmm... well, one could surely read a carving of the words from a mask. But, for them to take effect, they'd need to be spoken, rather then having an effect imbued into a mask.

Now I wanna learn them and shout people off cliffs. For mutantkind >____>

Do it!

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I use this power on @_scythe_

Scythe is pretty much the headless horseman.

TheMaskofMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_dark_knight: Gotcha. In that case my search continues... I could always come up with an explanation for the mask, but naaaaaaah

Orion_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dOPE ASF!

Avatar image for deactivated-6032280486b7d
deactivated-6032280486b7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is really cool!

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know she already has reality warping, but...it's got flair and I kinda want it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6032280486b7d
deactivated-6032280486b7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know she already has reality warping, but...it's got flair and I kinda want it.

Right?

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paathurnax must be pleased!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satar: @orion_savage: *Bows*

Thank you, and what would Shia Labaeuof (Spelled his name wrong I'm sure) say in a situation like this...

@_drake said:

Paathurnax must be pleased!

Surely!

Can I use this power on @_scythe_

Scythe is pretty much the headless horseman.

Long as he still has some way of speaking, course!

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_dark_knight: she will manipulate her dark mist to vibrate noise into words :)

_Fox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want one. >.>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I get some time to actually work on background concepts, I'll be PMing you about this with [potentially] related things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd6e53f65ed0
deactivated-5cd6e53f65ed0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm
Hmmm

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me I must play Skyrim again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adding Dark Knight to this list.

Venator_umbra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Amicus and Zerian should know it, even if they don't use it. Amicus because he's practically been everywhere and would eventually have found it. And Zerian because he would have been told by Amicus (whether Zerian can actually use the language WELL or not is a different matter) But quite an interesting thing you have here.

Mr_Winters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm, your words of power interest me.

Mr_Winters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may consider trying this out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_winters: @asgardianbrony: Thanks! Glad y'all like this.

@arquitenens said:

When I get some time to actually work on background concepts, I'll be PMing you about this with [potentially] related things.

Lies, LIES!!! Messing with you by the way :P

Nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim ftw.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa, I made this last October?!

Lass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HM....

Purveyor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Purveyor

Gonna use this <3 thanks babe.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c71a5928800
deactivated-59c71a5928800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa, I made this last October?!

Whoa, I made this October 2015?

Ananke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna get started teaching this kinda thing to Lazuli when we went to the temple.

Lichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[Arrival Spoilers]

Reminds me of Arrival.