RPG Writers - Strength/Weakness

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Post what you believe to be the biggest strength and weakness for the writer/character who has responded last. This is meant to be constructive and not a way to slam one another, simply your perspective. One does not progress living and writing within a vacuum and the adults on here should not be offended. Comment at will.

Example

Writer - Surkit

Strength - Among the best at taking ego out of the equation and willing to sell and/or take a fall for the good of the overall story

Weakness - Tends to allow himself to play second fiddle too often instead of taking the lead

Don't bother starting with me, this is not an account I ever used to RPG, and even then it has been so long no one would likely even have an opinion. First poster should pick anyone they choose.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Legacy_

Hmmm I guess I could be the sacrificial lamb. Someone judge me first!

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By shanana

Icarusflies

Strengths: Has more creativity in her finger than most people have in the brain.

Weaknesses: Work overloads, usually leave her drained. It's like she doesn't know when to stop sometimes.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kurrent

Sweet thread ill get on this in the morning

Coven_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Coven_

Darkchild's strength is in characters and ideas, does well at making them distinct. Their all rather original and inventive and he makes good use of them when time permits.

His weakness however is sometimes he crosses the lines when it comes to rules, and he jumps sporadically on when he can post and when hes mia

(Azra here)

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Legacy_

@Coven_: Do me!

@Atticus_Bar: You're alive. Lets do something this week >.>

Atticus_Bar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Atticus_Bar

@Coven_: hahaha thats perfect, and i agree

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By CainPanell

ME!

Kratesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kratesis

@shadowknight666:

Strengths: Pure raw talent. You've got the magic. The spark of creation still runs through your brain. You're probably the funniest writer on the vine. IC, OOC, whatever. In terms of role play you've got the goods. You sell, you work with people, everything. You're the complete package.

Weaknesses: Everyone is going to say caps-lock and grammar. But I disagree. We understand what you're saying, that's the ONLY thing thing that counts. In a way those are indicative of the core of your strength, you don't take yourself to seriously.

No, your real weakness is that you often wait for others to create RP for you, rather than jumping in and sticking to it until you get something going.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Legacy_

@Kratesis: Raises hand for judgement

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Darkchild

@Closure said:

@Kratesis: Raises hand for judgement

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CainPanell

Thanks Kratesis, typing from my phone so I can't reply

_Harper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _Harper_

....Moi?

Lucrecia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lucrecia

Someone judge Gambler!

I'm kidding.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Legacy_

@Saukerl said:

Someone judge Gambler! I'm kidding.

He's ugly......xD

Kratesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kratesis

@shadowknight666: No problemo!

@Darkchild: You're from before my time, so I don't really have much!

@Closure:

Strengths: Have you ever heard a song, or watched a movie and got that feeling it was ALMOST something great? As if some obscure change would transform it from solid to a real classic? I get that feeling from your posts all the time. There's something about some of them, a depth of perception, a deepness, that runs deeper than the usual pool of RPG characters.

Literature is often held above genre writing because it speaks to the truth about some aspect of human existence. The writers have a deeper perspective into the human sole, or they can convince us they can.

When I read your posts I sometimes get that feeling. Not every time. But sometimes I think wow. There's something real buried here.

Weaknesses: But its buried! Its ALMOST there. There is gold down there, but its buried. Somehow, some way, you've got to dig down to whatever it is that gives you that insight.

I realize this is frustrating feedback. After all this is a site about genre fiction, and I'm saying your bordering on literature. What's even worse, literature is rarely understood or appreciated as much as genre fiction is. Look at the sales of Catcher in the Rye, and Twilight, for example.

Which sucks to hear. Because not only is your gift the hardest gift to dig up, but once you do.. maybe five people on this site will really understand what your writing.

You're blessed with a tragic gift my friend.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Atticus_Bar

@Coven_: hahaha thats perfect, and i agree

I call too close for comfort copywright issues lol.
Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Legacy_

@Kratesis: Story of my life! It's been a constance issue with my writng. Faints

Applauds Kray Kray cause she speaks truth.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Closure@Kratesis
I can only agree with everything she said. But when you get there, rest assured that I will be one of the five.
Avatar image for maximus_newcastle
Maximus_Newcastle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brazen_Intellect: lol you gotta point.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By _Sojourn_

Volunteers for the constructive criticism.

Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mr. Mercury

@Kratesis said:

@shadowknight666: No problemo!

@Darkchild: You're from before my time, so I don't really have much!

@Closure:

Strengths: Have you ever heard a song, or watched a movie and got that feeling it was ALMOST something great? As if some obscure change would transform it from solid to a real classic? I get that feeling from your posts all the time. There's something about some of them, a depth of perception, a deepness, that runs deeper than the usual pool of RPG characters.

Literature is often held above genre writing because it speaks to the truth about some aspect of human existence. The writers have a deeper perspective into the human sole, or they can convince us they can.

When I read your posts I sometimes get that feeling. Not every time. But sometimes I think wow. There's something real buried here.

Weaknesses: But its buried! Its ALMOST there. There is gold down there, but its buried. Somehow, some way, you've got to dig down to whatever it is that gives you that insight.

I realize this is frustrating feedback. After all this is a site about genre fiction, and I'm saying your bordering on literature. What's even worse, literature is rarely understood or appreciated as much as genre fiction is. Look at the sales of Catcher in the Rye, and Twilight, for example.

Which sucks to hear. Because not only is your gift the hardest gift to dig up, but once you do.. maybe five people on this site will really understand what your writing.

You're blessed with a tragic gift my friend.

Well Sh!t, I agree verbatim.

@Closure: I still remember that RPG you did with Daggerklutz as Clara Mass it was what made me take notice of you in the first place. I see your Greatness.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Mr. Mercury Strength: Imagery is your string suit. I can see exactly what you write down, mainly because you tie it in with familiar things. By association it allows the reader to grasp at more than just words. Also, you're cool.

Weakness: To many recons and leaving. >_> you have a lot of ideas, that I would have loved to see come to fruition, but a lot of them are languishing in that brain of yours.
Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Legacy_

@Mr. Mercury:@_Sojourn_: : If this is the consensus will damn. If I ever do write a book I know who gets first shout outs xD

_Harper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By _Harper_

@_Sojourn_: ME!!!

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Ren_

I'm interested in a Kratesis analysis.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Closure I think the main problem is instability. Clara whom I think is your strongest character, constantly switches from good to bad. The same with Closure. Focussing in on a set character, ie Clara and Closure, giving them clear purpose, allowing them to grow on a more steady path, I think would be beneficial
Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mr. Mercury

@_Sojourn_: Can't argue with that.

@Closure: Greatness is double edged

Avatar image for maximus_newcastle
Maximus_Newcastle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is now the Kratesis Critique thread

Kratesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kratesis

@Ren_: I wrote you a whole hall of fame vote on strengths! But okay. I guess I can do it again!

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 614azrael
(on phone) @Closure, Krate said it well. Your writing is definitely up there. Its often deep layered and imaginative. The fault though is some of the gold gets lost in the context. Which can make it hard to clearly visiualize. @SK simply put your fun, ita a style and character great to bounce off of. Cain is a character to drop into any setting to amp writing quality and fun. The fault however is from to often being a side character. Being a person who joins an event but doesnt make one. Id love to see a bit more of old Cain in a way. That F Off do as I please style that generated friction. Cain rocks, he just ro me needs a push to steal a bit more light
  @Closure
@shadowknight666
Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By Ren_

I was more looking for weaknesses ;)

Black Solace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Black Solace

@_Sojourn_:

Strengths: Not scared to write the socially awkward character, highly intelligent and it shows in your writing. Willing to take second in command and sell the role, You do a very good job switching from a lead to support role in rpgs.

Weakness: I think most of your weaknesses are on a creative level, as far as; trying to produce ideas to the community that will allow everyone to play an active role in someway. I do feel like you have some entitlement issues, some which are justified others aren't.

Haven't seen you in charge of a team since the New Outsiders, could be the reason you feel sort of held back.

Lucrecia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lucrecia
@Maximus_Knightfall
Called it.
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Black Solace damn... I can't even argue lol
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Mr. Mercury now do me... (Take that however you want to.
Kratesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kratesis

@Ren_: Alrighties ;-)

At a later date we can copy my HoF vote down here for the strengths section so I don't seem like a b!tch lol.

Weaknesses: BIC time.

Who knows what that is? Well if any of you are at all serious about writing professionally you will probably find out ;-)

Butt In Chair time. That's the time you set your ass down and write. There are no excuses. None. Rothfuss finished the final edit of Name of the Wind while working full time, going to class full time and living in the hospital where his mother was dying.

Now thankfully comic vine isn't quite that serious lol, but the principle holds. To be a good writer, even a passable writer you have to READ alot and WRITE a lot. That's the separation between people who would like to write well, and people who DO write well.

There's all kinds of technical stuff you could improve. But none of it matters unless you can MAKE yourself write even when you don't want to. Type one word. Then type another word. And again, and again, until its written.

Understand that this is one of my greatest flaws. I owe Impero approximately one bazillion posts. When I'm tired, or when I don't feel good or can't get into a character I just don't write.

But I CAN. And that's what BIC time is about. Its the acknowledgement that if your fingers work and your not brain damaged you can write. And you HAVE TOO. On comic vine Impero just probably gets annoyed at me, but if I was a writer I'd be on a deadline and my ability to keep the lights on and eat would be tied to setting down every day and writing for HOURS even if I didn't want too.

This is kinda weird advice to give, because you're at the point where you could actually benefit from all kinds of trade-craft and techniques. But none of it matters if you can't MAKE yourself write.

I do the same exact thing. If I don't feel like writing, I don't write. After all I do this for fun, not a job and I suspect the same is true of you. Writing posts isn't a duty.

But that's also not an excuse lol. A weakness is a weakness, and this is really your only major weakness. At the point you are the other crap is just technique.

_Harper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By _Harper_

@Kratesis: Huh, I would appreciate a bit of that kick ass analysis XD

The_Warmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Warmaster

I already know my weaknesses thank you :P

Kratesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kratesis

@TheRumor: That account changes hands so much I don't know where to start! What are your other accounts and I can try?

_Harper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By _Harper_

@Kratesis: Oh! Well it's just one, who was formerly the oracle Beatrice, and the slayer Angelica ^_^ If you remember.

Sprosse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sprosse
@TheRumor: I thought you were the Puzzler who does those news things?
_Harper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By _Harper_

@Spross: XD! No im not the Puzzler.

Kratesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kratesis

@TheRumor: I thought you were Dr. Stahl / Venture Kid now lol.

_Harper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By _Harper_

@Kratesis: First Spross thinks I am Puzzler and now you think im what's their faces.

Angelica was my starter account.

Sprosse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sprosse
@TheRumor: Uh....sorry?
_Harper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By _Harper_

@Spross: Don't be sorry :p I just didn't expect to be mistaken, it has been a while since I was on my main though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm..this became far more popular than I thought it would...

If everyone wants to see themselves put under the microscope just do one for another character and you are the de facto next in line

Kamikaze_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kamikaze_

I can't wait for when I get enough writing done to get some constructive criticisms.

Black Solace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Black Solace

Someone do meh. Don't hold back I'm a big girl.