Post Length

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mer-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mer-Man

It has come to my attention that in the past few months, the length of posts has grown Astronomically. Now I'm not here to put anyone down or anything, but in my opinion, extremely long posts have gotten out of hand. People spend so much time writing long posts, they forget about the content of what's inside it. The new fad is, the longer the RPG post, the better the post is. I have been doing RPG's for a long time now and I have seen half page posts that were nothing short of spectacular. I am not saying that we should go back to the old ways of 3-5 LINE posts. But 3-5 pages is too much. There are some awesome writers out there who write very long posts, but the thing is, most of that writing is over looked. If you have got an RPG with 10 people who are each writing 3 pages per post, that's 30 written pages to keep up with if you happen to leave, and the majority of people will not be willing to read that much in one sitting. Remember, this is all just my opinion, I mean absolutely no offense to it, and I am just bringing up something that I believe needs to be addressed

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By No_Name_

Quality, not quantity. :D

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized
Applause
Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Much applause. I agree alot.

Avatar image for ronin_alexsnder
ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ronin alexsnder

this is an online RPG if you dont like to read you probably shouldnt be doing it!!!

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

um.... O_o damn.... I'm sorry, really I am! To tell you the truth, I've had to CUT DOWN my post already. I was making 6 page post.... I'll try and bring it down again, I'm sorry.

But I think 3-5 LINES is a little too short. If your in a battle with someone in an Story RPG, how are you going to post without it looking... kinda noobish?

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Last_Guardian

omg i agree so much...people think reaching 2,000 or 3,000 words in a post means ur good...i f*cking hate that....i do know that sometimes to make a good post you have to write out a lot, but a post's length should not be a measure of how good you are or how much skill you have....to many people these days think they can show off by writing a lot and i hate that....

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Well said Mer Man.  Now there are some long posts that are great reads. But I've also noticed the fade of long ass posts that really have nothing to say after the first couple paragraphs. I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm pinning this in the rpg section.

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Last_Guardian
Feral Nova said:
"um.... O_o damn.... I'm sorry, really I am! To tell you the truth, I've had to CUT DOWN my post already. I was making 6 page post.... I'll try and bring it down again, I'm sorry.

But I think 3-5 LINES is a little too short. If your in a battle with someone in an Story RPG, how are you going to post without it looking... kinda noobish?
"
don't be sorry!!!!  in know that when your post are super long, they are like that for a reason and your not just trying to show off...don't apologize for being good, Nova
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pixelized

Exactly....posting shouldn't be about reaching a certain numerical goal....Just explain what you need to with the least amount of filler and fluff as possible. 

Mer-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mer-Man
Feral Nova said:
"um.... O_o damn.... I'm sorry, really I am! To tell you the truth, I've had to CUT DOWN my post already. I was making 6 page post.... I'll try and bring it down again, I'm sorry.

"
I said Do NOT go down to 5 lines

Ronin. You're here to tell me that you read every line of every post in an RPG.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9bb5509ec3c
deactivated-5c9bb5509ec3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agreed
People create ESSAYS (plus practically 5 extra paragraphs). It gets irritating. And it makes things get boring.
There's a huge difference between creating a good post and a boring one -__- And I can see plenty who've crossed that line.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

My posts and fan-fics are generally short, sweet and to the point without being too short.

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Last_Guardian
Gambler said:
"Well said Mer Man.  Now there are some long posts that are great reads. But I've also noticed the fade of long ass posts that really have nothing to say after the first couple paragraphs. I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm pinning this in the rpg section.
"
nice...
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By No_Name_
ronin alexsnder said:
"this is an online RPG if you dont like to read you probably shouldnt be doing it!!!
"
I enjoy reading it actually, but it doesnt have to last an entire thread page either. There are far too many people involved in an RPG in a given time that posts that are extremely long should be cut down at least a little bit if the person writing actually expects the reader to read through the entire RPG. idk maybe I just dont have that much time. So what end up  happening is when I try and read them all it gets hard, cause I dont have the time...
Rikku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rikku

well some long post that "dont say anything" actually play a big part in my writing because it forshadows an event that will relate to it

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator
Mer-Man said:
"I said Do NOT go down to 5 lines

Ronin. You're here to tell me that you read every line of every post in an RPG.
"
OH! LMAO! XD

Sorry! ^^'
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixelized
Rikku said:
"well some long post that "dont say anything" actually play a big part in my writing because it forshadows an event that will relate to it
"
then it has a point. But spending a paragraph talking about a dog that we'll never hear about again for the sake of having a 'long post' means nothing.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No_Name_
pixelized said:
"Rikku said:
"well some long post that "dont say anything" actually play a big part in my writing because it forshadows an event that will relate to it
"
then it has a point. But spending a paragraph talking about a dog that we'll never hear about again for the sake of having a 'long post' means nothing."
exactly. And quoting something thats been said in a previous rper's post IN DEPTH is unnecessary. There are ways to make your post concise without quoting someone elses post in its entirety.
Mer-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mer-Man

No Problem FN. But you are one of the ones I worry about. Some of your posts go unread.

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Last_Guardian
Rikku said:
"
yeah..but..do you really need 2000 words to foreshadow something? 
Squall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Squall.

I agree that the new thing is to make extremely long posts, and people seem to go out of their way to do it. Now for some of them it is not a bad thing and some are fantastic reads. But others say a lot without saying anything. If you know what I mean by that statement. You can have short and to the point posts and get an incredible fight and story out of that. We have proof of that scattered across the vine.

ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ronin alexsnder

go read my last post and tell me what i can do to shorten it and i will work on it but i dont know how to do it any other way.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By No_Name_
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"Rikku said:
"
yeah..but..do you really need 2000 words to foreshadow something? "
EXACTLY

Im totally loving this thread

Oh and while we're on the subject, I hate when people post things that have nothing to do with the plotline.
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Last_Guardian
ronin alexsnder said:
"

go read my last post and tell me what i can do to shorten it and i will work on it but i dont know how to do it any other way.
"
kills Ronin stop taking it personally...i got no problem when a post is long because it HAS to be long...just when people post 1,000 words or more of pure senseless drabble...
Squall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Squall.
BatgirlBabs said:
Oh and while we're on the subject, I hate when people post things that have nothing to do with the plotline.
"
Yes, and I can't agree more. If you want to tell something about your character's history or something then place it in your bio, or make a fan fic for your character. Story rpgs should be about that, The Story. Fight rpgs should be about that The Fight. Not your characters entire life and what he had for dinner the night before.

If you want to talk about a flashback or your history do it somewhere that does not take away from the plot or the fight.
Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator
Mer-Man said:
"No Problem FN. But you are one of the ones I worry about. Some of your posts go unread."
awww v_v

<----feels unloved
ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ronin alexsnder

im guessing that this is brought about by the gift and the curse at the moment. im reading through my post and tryin to see how i could shorten it. any pointers.

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Last_Guardian
Mer-Man said:
"No Problem FN. But you are one of the ones I worry about. Some of your posts go unread."
? all of Nova's posts (the ones i've read) make total sense and are great...
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I dont think you should take this personally Ronin. Sometimes really long posts are necessary and or really well written. But we've all seen posts that went on and on and didn't do anything. Like the first couple paragraphs where really good and helped advance the story and then everything after that was purely to lengthen the post out. He's not saying (nor am I) that everyone who writes an extremely long post is guilty of this, but it does seem to happen alot.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pixelized

Idk.....Background is cool if it goes with the current RPG topic...as long as it plays into its fine

ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ronin alexsnder
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"ronin alexsnder said:
"

"
kills Ronin stop taking it personally...i got no problem when a post is long because it HAS to be long...just when people post 1,000 words or more of pure senseless drabble..."
give me an example so i can go see waht your talkin about.

the only axample i can think of is in the new breed RPG  a certain person went on and on about some koreans that had nothing at all to do with the story its self
ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ronin alexsnder
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"Mer-Man said:
? all of Nova's posts (the ones i've read) make total sense and are great..."
exactly
Uchiha Hotaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Uchiha Hotaru
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"Mer-Man said:
SWEET! :D Thanks Obi!

<---feels the love XD
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Last_Guardian
Squall. said:
"BatgirlBabs said:
"
Yes, and I can't agree more. If you want to tell something about your character's history or something then place it in your bio, or make a fan fic for your character. Story rpgs should be about that, The Story. Fight rpgs should be about that The Fight. Not your characters entire life and what he had for dinner the night before.

If you want to talk about a flashback or your history do it somewhere that does not take away from the plot or the fight.
"
i gotta disagree there...i think that adds depth to the story...since a lot of these rpgs are canon, some people have to know what ur character's been up to since last rpg...like if i had been in civil war like many were..i think it's a good idea to post what you've been up to since Civil War ended....but of course, a short summary not every little detail...
Squall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Squall.
pixelized said:
"Idk.....Background is cool if it goes with the current RPG topic...as long as it plays into its fine"
And I am fine with background, as long as it goes with the RPG topic and is not completely random and off subject.
ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ronin alexsnder

im not tryin to take this personally but i know i write long posts. im just tryin to figure out where i babble on about unnecessary things and babble on about  trash thats all.

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Last_Guardian
ronin alexsnder said:
"Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"ronin alexsnder said:
"

"
kills Ronin stop taking it personally...i got no problem when a post is long because it HAS to be long...just when people post 1,000 words or more of pure senseless drabble..."

the only axample i can think of is in the new breed RPG  a certain person went on and on about some koreans that had nothing at all to do with the story its self
"
nah i can't....i don't wanna offend anyone...
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pixelized
Squall. said:
"pixelized said:
"Idk.....Background is cool if it goes with the current RPG topic...as long as it plays into its fine"
And I am fine with background, as long as it goes with the RPG topic and is not completely random and off subject.
"
Yahhhhh dats wut i sed.

[=
ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ronin alexsnder
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"ronin alexsnder said:
"Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"ronin alexsnder said:
"

"

"
nah i can't....i don't wanna offend anyone..."
lol then PM me an example so i know what not to do.
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Last_Guardian
ronin alexsnder said:
"im not tryin to take this personally but i know i write long posts. im just tryin to figure out where i babble on about unnecessary things and babble on about  trash thats all.
"
well i really haven't seen babbling in your posts...i actually think its great when you talk about Civil War and what has happened to you since then...it's cool with me, at least...
Ruin Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ruin Cross

I respectively disagree. I type long psot because it jsut ahppens that way. 4000 words may seem like a lot to youll but its nothing when you write books. If you dont want to read it just skim. But there are some people who do, for instance i like lnog post!

Mer-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mer-Man
Uchiha Hotaru said:
"Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"Mer-Man said:

<---feels the love XD
"
No No No, you misunderstand me. Nova is a great writer. But her 5 page posts go unread merely because of their length. If I come back from work and see 18 unread posts and one is 6 pages long, i probably won't read it. 
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Ghostshell
ronin alexsnder said:
"im guessing that this is brought about by the gift and the curse at the moment. im reading through my post and tryin to see how i could shorten it. any pointers.

"
I dont think so. All the posts so far have been good to great reads. In my opinion anyway.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By No_Name_
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"Squall. said:
"BatgirlBabs said:
"

"
i gotta disagree there...i think that adds depth to the story...since a lot of these rpgs are canon, some people have to know what ur character's been up to since last rpg...like if i had been in civil war like many were..i think it's a good idea to post what you've been up to since Civil War ended....but of course, a short summary not every little detail..."
Ok I dont want to point fingers but I can think of at least one person who's posts consistently have nothing to do with the plot and everything to do with science fiction characters I am unfamiliar with >.>
Squall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Squall.
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
i gotta disagree there...i think that adds depth to the story...since a lot of these rpgs are canon, some people have to know what ur character's been up to since last rpg...like if i had been in civil war like many were..i think it's a good idea to post what you've been up to since Civil War ended....but of course, a short summary not every little detail..."
I think you took what I said wrong...

I am fine with that kind of history, but that can all be done in your first post. There is no need for that to show up and appear in each and every post.
ronin alexsnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ronin alexsnder
Mer-Man said:
"Uchiha Hotaru said:
"Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
"Mer-Man said:

<---feels the love XD
"
No No No, you misunderstand me. Nova is a great writer. But her 5 page posts go unread merely because of their length. If I come back from work and see 18 unread posts and one is 6 pages long, i probably won't read it. "
and then you will probably miss out on something and make the RPG confusing. if  nova left her team adn in your next post you went on about how you attacked her when she was with your team dont you think that  would be screwed up
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Ghostshell
ronin alexsnder said:
"im not tryin to take this personally but i know i write long posts. im just tryin to figure out where i babble on about unnecessary things and babble on about  trash thats all.
"
Who said you did? He didn't say ALL LONG posts. And to be honest your post isn't that long.
Desilation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Desilation
Mer-Man said:
"It has come to my attention that in the past few months, the length of posts has grown Astronomically. Now I'm not here to put anyone down or anything, but in my opinion, extremely long posts have gotten out of hand. People spend so much time writing long posts, they forget about the content of what's inside it. The new fad is, the longer the RPG post, the better the post is. I have been doing RPG's for a long time now and I have seen half page posts that were nothing short of spectacular. I am not saying that we should go back to the old ways of 3-5 LINE posts. But 3-5 pages is too much. There are some awesome writers out there who write very long posts, but the thing is, most of that writing is over looked. If you have got an RPG with 10 people who are each writing 3 pages per post, that's 30 written pages to keep up with if you happen to leave, and the majority of people will not be willing to read that much in one sitting. Remember, this is all just my opinion, I mean absolutely no offense to it, and I am just bringing up something that I believe needs to be addressed"

really so do you have a solution to this problem?
Ruin Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ruin Cross
Ruin Cross said:
"I respectively disagree. I type long psot because it jsut ahppens that way. 4000 words may seem like a lot to youll but its nothing when you write books. If you dont want to read it just skim. But there are some people who do, for instance i like lnog post!"

respectfully*