Kaija: Broken Shield, Side B. Memory #4

Kaija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Kaija

Kaija's eyes were closed as she lay on her bed. A phone ringing by her side as she waited for a friend to answer. It had been two days since she left America and she had finally found some down time to talk. The recipient of the call answers and greets her. Only Kaija’s voice can be heard from within her room.

"Oh, good, I do have the right number! Hi, I'd like to order a Contingency, hold the dumb*ss please! And if it's not here in 30 minutes I'm not paying for it!" Kaija playfully responded.

"The same way they treated me over there. Terrible, lol. It's worse though cause now I don't have anyone buzzing around in my ear all day, ya know?" Kaija replied, "Sorry I was... like that before I left. I was trying to prove myself and it only got me sent away..."

"You're so melodramatic, lol. But I'd have to disagree with you. I would've shoved anyone aside for glory that day. I guess I just... wanted some respect, ya know? Eh well, I'm gonna have to go soon, but I guess if you're having issues you can just call me. A little drama-vomit before bed might help you get to sleep, yeah?" she replied.

"Nah, I really can't. I'm honestly on the same training routine that I was over there. It's just that now... you aren't training with me...But yeah, I... I gotta go. Just call me tonight if you need me, okay?" she replied.

"Yeah, yeah, love you too" Kaija replied shortly.

And with that she hung up, sighing as she lay on her cold bed with her eyes locked on a particular ceiling tile that held absolutely no importance at all. After a brief moment of silence, company arrived.

“Hey louse, it’s time to get up. You came here to work, not sleep!” a voice called out to Kaija, her new handler for the time.

“Louse?” she asked, slightly annoyed.

“You’re in our hair, you feed off of us, and you don’t do any work. You’re a f*cking louse. When was the last time a giant monster… or, I’m sorry, a ‘Kaiju’ showed up anyways? When was the last time that your giant *ss was needed, or even helpful in solving a problem? When was the last time that you even fought a Kaiju? It’s metas like you that force people to waste their tax money on government ‘babysitting’ projects like this horsesh*t.” the man answered.

“Axum, I just destroyed a giant robot like two days ago, what are you talking about?” Kaija replied.

“You mean that little training exercise that you failed? Yeah, impressive work. Get a move on before you make yourself look any worse, louse.” Axum retorted, taking his leave.

“Great start to a great day…” Kaija thought to herself.

Despite the harsh words that were directed at her, Kaija wasn’t upset by her handler. She was used to the treatment and always convinced herself that it all only served to toughen her up even more. She got up and followed her daily routine, hygiene and all, and made her way to the training grounds in her custom underarmor. There, she met Axum and a man wearing orange monk robes and white socks. Kaija raised an eyebrow at the unusual uniform.

She came to a stop, put one hand on her hip and simply said, “....okaaay…”

“Be quiet and show some respect. This is master Gaoto, and he’ll be kicking your *ss today.” Axum explained, “Keep it six feet and do your best.”

Gaoto assumed his stance. A familiar stance to Kaija, but an unfamiliar opponent. She took a similar stance; feet spread wide, a slight crouch, weight focused on her toes, arms raised with open palms. They moved towards one another, legs rolling over one another while supporting perfectly still, perfectly balances torsos. Their eyes locked and they danced in a small circle before an initial clash. Kaija struck first.

Her blow was parried, as was her next and her next. She continued to advance on the man as he redirected and narrowly evaded all of her strikes. A punch, a kick, a chop, a sweep, a backhand, an elbow, a grab; the orange-clad man seemed to read her every move like a book, countering it all in an efficient manner. Still, she advanced, moving him farther and farther back… until he retaliated. A single fist, directed at her nose, was launched. It failed, but it landed. Although Kaija avoided the brunt impact of the blow, his fist skimmed the side of her cheek. Although it didn’t hurt her at all, Gaoto came much closer to landing a blow in one try then she had in all of her strikes. Kaija retreated two paces and regained her composure. Gaoto smiled.

She advanced and launched two lashing kicks at the man’s skull, the first was avoided, the second was caught. Her leg in his grasp, the man simply spun her around, her leg acting as the axis of rotation. She hit the ground, face to the dirt, and grew annoyed. The last counter not only served to damage her pride, but also to light a fire in her. She walked up to the man, a little less guarded and a with a quicker pace. He countered with a kick. Kaija avoided it and advanced. He threw a punch, it landed. Blood began to fill Kaija’s mouth. Still, in that moment, she caught his right arm with her left and smiled. Despite taking a jarring blow, she now had her prey in her grasp. She extended her left leg forward, between Gaoto’s own, and bent the knee. She leaned in, pulling the man in with her left arm, and accelerating her right with every other muscle in her body. It connects, a heavy blow. The man’s nose is broken, his focus leaving him as he falls unconscious. Kaija, with a bloody smile, stands above the unconscious master.

Axum, standing in the corner, shakes his head in disappointment, but remains silent. He has no desire to comment on what had just happened. Her performance is reviewed later, nothing positive to hear. She is sent to the gym. With sweat dripping from her glistening body and her muscles aching from strain, Kaija is finally able to put her mind at ease. While still in the middle of a jog, Axum calls her to action. It seems as though, to everyone’s surprise, the facility would see some use today. Not 50 miles away, a 6-story hostile was terrorizing a city. Riding in a helicopter with basic gear, Kaija is dropped a short distance from the panicking scene, two blocs, and is left to handle the menace alone. This was an unexpected attack and Kaija had no information regarding what she would be facing. She she took a form similar to the monster’s, a 60 ft giant, and followed the destruction to find out what she was dealing with. As opposed to the fear or anxiety that most would expect from a fresh soldier… Kaija’s attitude could best be described as anticipatory excitement, hype if you will. A giant robot? A blob? A mutant iguana that shoots lasers!? She finally found the origin of the destruction and stared at it from a distance with curious eyes.

No Caption Provided

It’s… just a giant shirtless man…

Kaija… was admittedly underwhelmed by this development. Before she could drag herself into the mundane battle, the cries of injured civilians captured her attention.

“...I’ll be back for you…” she thought to herself.

She began sifting through various debris and freeing both the trapped and the pinned alike, placing them all atop of a single building for ease of rescue. After placing the last soul that she could find on the roof, something slammed into the back of her head….

A car…

Kaija grew annoyed.

"I think you picked the wrong b*tch to f*ck with today."

The giant charged at Kaija, only to have a purple boot thrust into his right temple. The giant staggered as Kaija advanced, and was immediately met with a heel to the gut, hurtling him over an elevated highway. Kaija pursued, an eerie gleam in her eyes.

No Caption Provided

What occurred next was not a battle. It was savagery. While the man lay there, struggling to breath with a cracked sternum and a few broken ribs, Kaija came over him. His face would come to know her boot, over and over, until it was a homogeneous mixture of blood, brains, bone, concrete and whatever else could be found in the average human skull. The people, although grateful for their rescue, were concerned. This wasn’t because of how brutally the man was killed, he too had exhibited the same savagery, but because of how… casual Kajia was about it.

She was left alone for the rest of that day, her superior officers choosing to neither complement nor criticize her works. After taking some time to herself to relax, she received a call…

The resting warrior, unfortunately, found herself far too lost in sleep to receive the call on her end. Despite the promises that she had made to her friend earlier, she wasn't going to be able to be there for her as often as she had hoped. At least not from so far away...