Having trouble coming up with a name for this street level super-hero?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Zetsu-San

This has powers straight out of a slasher movie, however he is NOT a 90s anti-hero. His personality is far from edgy or brooding, in fact he's more comic relief than anything. He's a horror comedy type of character. He doesn't kill criminals, but he doesn't have a strict no kill rule either.

Appearance: He's fairly small statured/lightly built. His "hero" costume consists of a hoody and a ghost mask. He's very indecisive and tends to change up the mask constantly.

Basic origin story:

As a teenager, he and a group of friends decided to perform a magic ritual as a joke. It went about as well as you'd expect. After series of events that could make up it's own stand alone movie; everyone ended up dying except for the final girl. Yes, everyone; including this character. Unlike the others however, this character came back to life. The two 'survivors' decided to go their separate ways and try to forget the event ever happened. Flash forward, and this character is now in college.

Powers:

He is essentially possessed by a demon, however said demon has no real interest in the human world and has chosen to stay dormant in his body as a passive observer. He is able to speak to her every time he dies. At certain points in the story it's implied that she might be a lot more than "just" a demon.

1) Immortality: As long as the demon is inside him, this character is completely immortal and can regenerate any damage to his body. The only way to kill him is to destroy his brain, though this is only a temporary death. He can still "respawn" (his body literally disappears when you aren't looking). He dies, a lot. He's definitely not the most competent superhero in existence, he's more kick-ass than batman by far.

2) No internal limiter: He appears to have enhanced strength and agility, though really he's just no longer able to limit his strength. As such he tends to overestimate himself and get hurt performing tasks that he shouldn't. It's a good thing he heals fast.

3) He can feed on fear: Most of the time his physical abilities are only a step above a normal human of his stature. However, he can temporarily increase his physical abilities when he senses other people's fear. At his most powerful, he's essentially the hunter from Left 4 Dead, but it's extremely rare he builds up that much power. It is possible for him to permanently keep the effects of someone's fear if he kills them while they are scared; but of course, he never does this (his enemies do). As a side effect of this power, he can also sense fear and track it down like a bloodhound. If you are scared it's impossible to hide from him. This is also helpful in the sense that he can tell when someone's in trouble.

4) Slasher stealth: While he has always considered himself 'light on his feet', and has some parkour skills; but he is far from a ninja. Since gaining his powers however, has gained a supernatural lack of presence. It's not that he's silent, he's just hard to notice. He could sit in the corner of a room perfectly visible, and people wouldn't notice his presence unless it directly effected whatever they were doing. Occasionally people lose track of him mid-conversation. At his most powerful, he can climb walls and phase through objects (again, it's very rare for him to be that powerful).

5) He has limited martial arts training. Definitely more of a street fighter than anything.

------

He along with his villains are inspired by various slasher movie archetypes. He's easily one of the weakest powered beings in the setting (largely because doesn't kill for power). While his enemies are inspired by the likes of Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers, this character is inspired by Scream/Ghostface (in other words, his villains stomp him in random encounters, but he does surprisingly well with a bit of prep).

Personality wise, he's kind of an asshole. He's not a vigilante out of some sense of justice, but rather he does it because he thinks it's fun and because he can. He's very apathetic, and has a tendency to jump into things unprepared. He's a prep master who doesn't like planning and thus ends up mortally injured more often than not.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the "final girl" from his past has become an occult investigator, and despite lacking powers, is more competent than him in every way.

Ishmael_Strix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like the backstory. Where is this character from? What continent? What country?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zetsu-San

@ishmael_strix said:

I like the backstory. Where is this character from? What continent? What country?

United States, mixed Asian Caucasion. I am thinking Maine or maybe Seattle.

PS: I am looking for a superhero name, not an actual one (though if you have cool suggestions for that as well, I wouldn't mind hearing them)

Ishmael_Strix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto:

Mister Hiss, Mr. Hiss

Tad Numa (possible real name)

Not my best. I'll try a couple more tomorrow. Maybe by then somebody will have come up with something nice. They usually do

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zetsu-San
Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Corpse Bachelor. Even though I picture that more like a noir, crow like ghost or Deadman maybe.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@zetsumoto: The Maine Strangler, The Seattle Stalker.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: The Maine Strangler, The Seattle Stalker.

lol those sound like something an un-creative criminal profiler would title a book after catching a serial killer.

As I said, he doesn't actually kill people, he just happens to have slasher powers.

Ishmael_Strix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kasai Kuro

Tora Yoi

The Sin Eater of Seattle

*Ultimate Swag alert
*Ultimate Swag alert

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arquitenens

I like this! Very interesting. If it['s an RP character, I would look forward to seeing him in action.

The brain in me thinks, if it were my character, I might call him/her Amygdala, which is...it's basically the integrative center for emotions, emotional behavior, and motivation in your brain. It's strongly associated with fear and decision-making. You gave him a fear-related ability, and mentioned impaired/rash decision-making.

Then I'd probably brush up on my knowledge and maybe make some corresponding additional notes, even just mentally, and possible considerations for the future. Maybe he has an enlarged amygdala and that contributes to his rash decision making. Mix in some fake stuff in there, like that plus the demon thing has something to do with a connection or other things my mind came up with.

But then I realise I'm (a) about to start rambling, and (b) talking about mixing science in with a character who doesn't necessarily need that. I mean, c'mon, me, it's a demonic possession! [Sorry, force of habit.]

But yeah. Just....uh huh. Nice character. >_>

He also appeals to this funny poetic sense in my brain.

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zetsumoto: How about Slasher? Hiryo? Thirio? Tamashi? Zuiren? Anti? Soul Thief? Xerez? I'll think of more, nice character btw.

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jack The Ripper

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zetsu-San
Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking for a name with Bogeyman allusions, maybe another culture's equivalent, but I don't want to be so obscure that no one understands the reference.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

First name that came to mind is Death Grip. It shows his ability to feed on fear and a hint to his immortality.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zetsu-San

@Manchine: Interesting... That's definitely the first one on my possibilities list so far. BTW you should try RPGing with your characters (assuming you don't already do that). It would be a pretty solid method of self-promotion.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@zetsumoto I am decently good at making up names. Also could go with The Dreaded Devil.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zetsu-San

@Manchine said:

@zetsumoto I am decently good at making up names. Also could go with The Dreaded Devil.

lol that one sounds like I am trying to ripoff Daredevil. Also he wears a ghost mask, not a devil one. Dare Ghost? Dreaded Ghost? lol

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking for a name with Bogeyman allusions, maybe another culture's equivalent, but I don't want to be so obscure that no one understands the reference.

How about Groke? Bolman? Mamu? Nokken? or Pyramid Head? All except the last are bogeymen from other countries.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Dirge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Dirge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.....personally, I'm a fan of both Strix and Arquitenens names. I guess my next question is are you wanting your character to have some sort of signature weapon? If so, then that could help us help you come up with a name.

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: What about Black Arnest, as a tribute to Black Annis also known as Black Agnes. English Folklore Bogyman.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naamah_obyzouth: Hmm... Interesting idea, but switching it to Arnest might be a stretch. Although, it would be pretty damn creepy if he did call himself the "Black Agnest" and wore a hag mask, though I am not quite sure if that's the kind of creepy I am looking for. xD

Ishmael_Strix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ishmael_Strix

Namahage, The Bone Setter

The Seattle Scarecrow

No Caption Provided

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gui Chinese for ghost Yurei Japanese Ma Vietnamese Pee Gong Laotian

Oni Japanese for "ghost mask" (the Mandarin for ghost mask is pretty hard to pronounce) Ma Mask Vietnamese Larva Laotian

You said he was part Asian...best I could come up with dudeman

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zetsu-San
Brynhyld_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HeroUp2112

I was kind of wondering why you didn't choose that when it was suggested actually :)

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto:Sound kinda childlike and a name not to be taken seriously, it'd be better if he had a different name but often refers to himself as the Bogeyman or something.

Ishmael_Strix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zetsu-San

@darth_wayne said:

@zetsumoto:Sound kinda childlike and a name not to be taken seriously, it'd be better if he had a different name but often refers to himself as the Bogeyman or something.

True... That's one of the reasons why I didn't go with it right away. lol I am really indecisive with this stuff xD

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_wayne said:

True... That's one of the reasons why I didn't go with it right away. lol I am really indecisive with this stuff xD

I'd me eaier to know that all names suck when you first think of it, just think of how corny Captain America and Batman sounds.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto said:
@darth_wayne said:

I'd me eaier to know that all names suck when you first think of it, just think of how corny Captain America and Batman sounds.

Cheesy superhero names have always been one of my major pet peeves when it comes to comics.

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Darth_Wayne

Cheesy superhero names have always been one of my major pet peeves when it comes to comics.

It's all over fiction not just comics.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zetsu-San

@darth_wayne said:
@zetsumoto said:

It's all over fiction not just comics.

Yea, but DC undeniably has it the worst.

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto said:.

True, but the point is the name doesn't matter much, the name's bearer is what matters.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zetsu-San

@darth_wayne said:
@zetsumoto said:.

True, but the point is the name doesn't matter much, the name's bearer is what matters.

You know, my character having a rough start trying to get criminals to "fear" the name "bogeyman" could actually be kind of funny. I could just see it. He gets the drop on a bunch of thugs, overpower them with his brute strength. They ask him who he is, he says "bogeyman" (or some other ridiculous sounding cultural equivalent) and suddenly he loses all of his power when they start cracking up.

Kitsune_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: Just name him Boogie-man and incorporate boogie dancing to his character! A serial killer who does the boogie every time he gets excited? Oh! then people wouldn't take him seriously then boom! they'd just find their heads being cut off! ha!

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kitsune_squad: Well... He's not a serial killer, and he kind of needs people to take him seriously for his powers to work...

Kitsune_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: ow about, "The Flamboyant Fear Monger" as his title?