Dividing the Spoils [CVU closed thread] (IC)

• 135 results
kingeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@dr_halloween:

Conrad attempted to recline on his own. Fumbling around the chair for a lever, he found none. He did find success after making several thrusts in the back of his chair. But it was not the success that he wanted, finding the chair to be locked into an uncomfortable 75 degrees of recline, and no further motion could be coerced from it.

With a sigh, he gave up, and proceeded to answer the doctor's inquiry. A task perhaps even more difficult.

"Uh... well I uh..." his sheepish grin became a little more sheepish. " 'Men of Xenu' would be more what they would call themselves, and uh... let's just say that it's a long story that made me realize that L.A. isn't the only place where religious pluralism can go awry."

He knew it wasn't his role as the patient, but he couldn't help but ask the obvious question, "I'm really sorry if it offends you or anything, but uh... might I ask, where did that jack-o'-lantern come from?"

Avatar image for deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b
deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingeditor:

Jack was patient in his thoughts, listening to Conrad's explanation without any change in his plesant demeanor. "Hmm, how about this, I will tell you about my oddity, and you can tell me about yours, if you have any?"

Removing his glove Jack revealed a hand made from sticks with a vine like muscle structure. "Ever since I could remember, I looked like this. I assume I was born like this. It made making friends difficult."

kingeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_halloween:

Conrad's eyes widened again at the doctor's herbal musculature.

"Are you kidding!? You must have been the wonder of show and tell!" he exclaimed.

Knowing it was his turn, Conrad grunted for a moment in thought. Then replied, "Well... you know how much training I had to do in order to fight against the cowgirl like that?" He was still mildly upset that he had yet to acquire her name.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingeditor:

"Unfortunately a lot of humans do not share your sentiments, but I never held it against them." Jack replied to the wonder of Conrad.

"Ah yes, you a Ms. James were a sight to behold, but please, go on about your training. Was it difficult?" He ask as he placed his glove back.

Icefire_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwarden17:

After leaving Doc and Conrad alone and finishing uploading the rest of Conrad's physical data onto a different computer, I located one of Warden's techs and requested that the dark soldier meet me on the tin roof of the warehouse whenever he was able. Afterwards I myself went up to see if I could find a way to meditate in the cool Chicago air.

I sat down in lotus position and focused on the events of the last day. Being triple-crossed, as well as the general emotional tension among my teammates, seriously disturbed me. I had intended to be the one to keep the team together, and here I was, about to become the first to leave. I found myself facing in the direction of Grimm, ready to go home, feeling nostalgic about the life I had had before Warden found me, before I fell in love with Rey. I now knew that feeling pigeons got when they strayed too far from their nests, a tugging at both the heart and the pit of my stomach. I thought sadly on these things and waited for Jacob to come find me.

NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By NightWarden17

@icefire_outlaw: After Jacob received word from one of his men that Jessie was requesting him, he donned a meditation robe, received from his time as a student of one of the more esoteric branches of the Indian Armed Forces, and joined her on the roof. His bones creaking slightly as he sat, even he could not ignore the hurdles of aging, but he sank into his flow state as he had many times before. "I don't pretend to know your melancholy, but I have that same expression every time I try to remember my family, I felt farther and farther away from my home and soul with every deployment and every ops group I worked with. I felt less human even. Maybe in commiserating, even for a fraction of a second, we can ease our pain, and there can be calm tonight. Night Warden is all my darkness brought to light, but it also has given hope to myself and others, kept my internal demons at bay. Can't your feelings do the same? I feel that feelings lead to vulnerability as well, but in this case, integrity will still be maintained between us."

Icefire_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwarden17:

A pale, mirthless smile pulled at my lips while he spoke. "I don't like talking about my emotions, or feeling them, for that matter," I replied honestly. "I feel like they block out my focus, limit my abilities. But...if you want to talk, I'll talk. It's amazing how eager I was to leave Grimm and broaden my horizons, and now that I'm hundreds of miles away, home is all I can think about. I guess adventure isn't all that it's chalked up to be."

kingeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_halloween:

Conrad's sheepish grin widened into what might have been one of his cockiest smiles in years.

"Think of a number, between zero and zero..." he began. "...And whatever number it is, I can guarantee you that it's probably more days, months, and years that I have spent training in my entire life on Earth."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingeditor:

"Ho ho, between zero and zero huh. If that is the case, then truely you are a force to be reckoned with." Jack chuckled. Thinking on everything so far, the gentleman decided to ask one more question. Adopting a more serious tone, he asked, "Alright, one more question. I noticed the wagon you were dragging along. Unfortunately I need to ask, are you a violent man Mr. Lobo?"

kingeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conrad's eyes shifted away from the doctor, as if doing so would make the question go away.

But in Conrad's experience, that usually didn't work. So he mustered up a guilt-laced answer, "Yeah..." he sighed. "Yeah, I guess I am. Even Alan admits that. But..." he renewed his focus on Jack. "While I'm working for you, I promise... I'll only hurt the people who need to be hurt, in an emergency." He blinked heavily before adding, "Oh... and I don't kill people. Ever. So if there's something you guys need doing that involve that..." he pointed a finger at the door he had entered the examination room through. "I'm out. Period."

And maybe taking a few of you down with me... He thought, wondering if his moral conviction would trump common sense.

He forced his tone to lighten up. "I didn't read the email though, so maybe you guys already mentioned that in your 'Terms and Conditions.' " He chuckled.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingeditor: @icefire_outlaw:

Jack smiled at Conrad's answer. He was genuinely satisfied, despite wondering who this Alan was. "No need to look ashamed, some things branned by humans as evil are not always black and white." Thinking back to his father the gentleman continued. "The man who adopted me was a powerful mage with a deep knowledge of necromancy, yet he was a good person at his core."

Rising from his seat, Jack finished, "Mr. Lobo, I cannot tell you if all of us are against killing, but Ms. James and myself are. I promise you, we will not force you to kill." with that he opened the door and said, "I believe you will be a worthy addition to the team."

NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By NightWarden17

@icefire_outlaw: Jacob positioned himself in view of Jessie, he was conditioned to establish a rapport with those he met, and after all, alliances were quite useful."While emotions may inhibit or suppress us, we can also wield them effectively, like the cut of a blade or twitch of a trigger. I've learned to master my senses and enter a zen mindset in the heat of battle, and you've shown to be more than capable of doing so as well. It's certainly true we're often are numbed by the coldness of our minds, and while that may be called for in certain cases, even the greatest knight must balance his emotional shield with the action of his sword. I have experienced what complete coldness is like as a suppression for my ethics, lest they compromised my missions. I used my time as a killing machine to mask my numerous losses. I wanted to make the world as cold and unfeeling as I was due to my pain, like the frigid nights in which I struck, but then I went too far, killed everyone in the program that twisted me into the monster I had become and I fled, erasing my past from the known records and altering them so I could reflect who I wanted to be, a war hero. Disillusioned by the carnage I had caused, I traveled the world, and I soon found my purpose, becoming a true bringer of the night's authority and law enforcement, my purer version at least. I set about honoring those that I lost, the family members that had taught me to enforce justice and honor, fighting for a better world no matter the cost. As for my wandering, I learned much, but I also learned that adventure can have a higher purpose, it can shape you into who you are meant to be." Jacob turned away from Jessie, rose, and pointed towards Grimm. "As for your longing, it will be filled, in time. Perhaps the team can even utilize one of my auxiliary bases situated within Grimm's borders. " He briefly clasped Jessie's hand, the weathered skin relatively smooth albeit somewhat calloused from years of crimefighting. "For now, let's continue shaping our team's destiny." Jacob began to exit the rooftop, but not before he said:"I'll usually be guarded, so consider this conversation rare advice. Nonetheless, you're more capable than you realize, you will, and have, achieved more than most could begin to dream of." Then, his stern demeanor returned, and he swiftly departed to Conrad's vicinity.

Icefire_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Icefire_Outlaw

@nightwarden17:

I sat back and watched him go. He wanted so badly for me to stay, to be a part of his team. As if it were a family. As if they needed me. But I couldn't. They didn't. I had had a family, once, and I'd lost them forever. I knew that Warden felt my pain, understood my loss, but I couldn't allow him to play on that. I still didn't trust him entirely, but it hurt to leave here. Here I was needed, I was understood, and, by some people, I was loved. I couldn't allow that to grow on me. Everything ended. I might be the one provoking the untimely end of this team, but I knew every end marked a beginning as well. A beginning of something more fruitful.

Determined now, I pulled out my red pen and stationery paper. Laying the latter on my knee, I wrote out a letter, a note, addressed to Night Warden but intended for everyone. I signed my name with a flourish, before realizing I'd forgotten something. I added the postscript, then sealed it and laid it on the rooftop before walking to the edge and drawing the Icefire guns. I took one last longing look at the lone piece of yellowed paper on the roof...then disappeared into the night.

[Jesse's Letter]

"Night Warden:

"First, I want you to understand that I haven't left because of your kind advice to me. It was indeed helpful, and I hope to use it in the near future. I, however, have that future to take into consideration. I have a flourishing trade and bright hopes in Grimm. I don't know if you understand, but I doubt Chicago holds anything but restraint and tension for me. I can't describe the feeling I have. Something is telling me that I have to go home, that bigger things lie ahead of me, things I can't even begin to imagine. I can't accomplish any of those things from here. I remain a steadfast member of your team, and should need arise I plan to return to fulfil my duties to you and yours. I'll be in and out of town to check up on things, but don't expect to hear from me until I think the time is right. Until then, I remain

"Sincerely Yours,

"Jesse James.

"PS:

"Let the others know my intentions, and inform them that if upon my return I hear that why have caused you any trouble they'll have me to answer to. Also, tell all of them, especially Rey, Doc, and Roddi, I say goodbye until we meet again.

"J.J."

kingeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_halloween:

Conrad gleamed.

"Sounds great! And I still can't believe you didn't ask about the voice in my head!"

(Jack seems to make a shoddy psychologist)

"I know, right? And where did he even graduate from?" replied Conrad under his breath as he walked out of the examination room.

NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By NightWarden17

@icefire_outlaw: Jacob stepped back outside to the roof, sensing the vibration of her portal as it vanished. He noticed the letter and read it intensively, his deductive cerebellum mulling over every syllable. He was quite saddened, but he understood her need for self-reliance, and felt much the same, only opening up his inner circle to a select few, though an aspect of him truly thought that being part of a team filled some of the void in his soul, even temporarily. This was a great blow to him, but he had a duty to salvage the soldiers at his disposal. He knew that they would cross paths again someday. In a blur, he funneled the letter through the transportation system of the base to the main meeting room. He changed then from his robe to his Night Warden suit, the compound's system automation clicking the outward multi layered plated parts and inward cybernetic exoskeleton into place.His robe was stowed in a sleek wall alcove, hung methodically alongside his other civilian outfits as his helmet clicked into place with a pneumatic hiss, the voice modulation whirring to life with a sound to signify its activation. He spoke into the comms,"Everyone available, in the meeting room you will find a letter we must discuss at once."

Jason_ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwarden17:

Red Mask quickly responded riding his motorcycle silently to the location, as usual, using memorized paths that were not usually noticed by people, and ones where he would be well hidden. He walked carefully into the building, but calmly, scanning the rooms with his helmets sensors as he walked. As usual, he had on his Red Mask outfit.

What is this letter he spoke of I wonder? It could of course be a trap, but admittedly I doubt it. But, better to be prepared then to be dead or captured. He thought. He leaned against the wall and awaited what was to come next.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By X-Rey

I hesitated and frowned, not wanting to trust Warden. But Rey then thought of Jesse and blushed. "I really wanna abandon this mussion, but I'll be giving up on the love of my life, and I can't see myself doing that." Rey thought in his head.

I sighed and walked into the room with my arms folded. "Soooo why was I called here again?"

Avatar image for roddi_bonaparte
Roddi_Bonaparte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jason_ford: @rey_everdeen: @nightwarden17:

Roddi looked up at the intercoms as he was summoned into the meeting room. He sighed, but complied, already too far into their questionable activities to pull away without leaving a gleaming trail of thread back to his home and his quasi-peaceful life. DUTH ended his massage and vanished as Roddi forced himself to his feet and traveled to the meeting room behind Rey.

Rey's initial question summed up Roddi's curiosity as well, and so after he walked in he kept silent and simply took a stance next to Rey and awaited a suitable answer for the both of them.

kingeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_halloween:

Hearing the voice on the intercom, Conrad quickly decided that, having well stretched the boundaries of "fashionably late" in his arrival, he didn't want to make the same mistake.

"Er... mind showing me the way?" asked Conrad politely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingeditor: @jason_ford: @rey_everdeen: @nightwarden17:

Hearing the Warden's summons, Jack commented, "Busy day today." Motioning to Conrad in response to his question, he led him to the meeting room. On the way he wondered what the meeting was about and why Jesse did not set it up. Once inside the room, he waved to Rey and Roddi, "Hello friends! Have you met the new recruit?"

NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By NightWarden17

@dr_halloween@jason_ford@roddi_bonaparte@rey_everdeen@kingeditor@the_dark_spider

OOC: Before we begin, for context, you may want to read my previous exchange with Jessie, that and the letter she writes afterward is earlier in the thread. I'll wait to post more fully until after you guys read the letter and respond to it.

For now: Night Warden played his rooftop conversation with Jessie and her subsequent letter being written. The scene was in full view thanks to the room's monitors, the audio and visuals fully engaged so nothing would be misconstrued. He then opened the letter she wrote and waited for their reactions. This would invariably take the team in a whole new direction.

Jason_ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rey_everdeen: @kingeditor: @dr_halloween: @nightwarden17: @icefire_outlaw:

"Hmm." Jason let out a short hum as he thought, "This complicates matters now doesn't it?" He said half to himself.

People here don't trust me, perhaps Nightwarden, but he isn't trusted either, certainly not be me. It is well we do not trust each other perhaps, that would be folly in a group such as this. But, Jesse was the only one I considered too be safe as leader. Who would take advice and remain open to suggestion without hiding things like Nightwarden or even I would. Of course, as leader, I would have an advantage. But they likely know that, though not the true purpose of my actions. He thought.

"Well, thoughts everyone?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rey_everdeen: @kingeditor: @dr_halloween: @nightwarden17: @icefire_outlaw:

Jack rubbed his and sighed. He did not blame Jesse for her choice, everyone was free to make their own choices. However, the fact remained that this change could destroy the team and leave Chicago at square one. The gentleman had an idea though, one that would hopefully salvage this. For now, he waited in silent contemplation for the others' reactions.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By X-Rey

@nightwarden17: @icefire_outlaw: @jason_ford: @dr_halloween: @roddi_bonaparte:

Rey was surprised to hear, but understood at the same time. Dark Rey looked at everyone in the room and began to speak. "That decision might've torn this team apart since she was our leader and kept us all together despite our differences. I'm not sure if I wanna continue without Jess, it's just not the same with her being gone." I sighed.

Avatar image for roddi_bonaparte
Roddi_Bonaparte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwarden17: @jason_ford: @dr_halloween:

"Honestly, I for one say that we honor her wishes. At least for now. She didn't say that she was gone forever, only for the moment, until she figures some things out. She wants to pursue grander ambitions and not have us hold her back, right? Why don't we show her that that's a misconception? Maybe if a few of us tone down our egos and we work towards some common goals, some larger goals, that show what we're truly capable of, she'll realize that leaving was a mistake. Don't chase her down though. With broads like that, you gotta give them time to cool off while you handle your own business, and once they see you strutting your stuff, they'll be back in no time. So how about we focus on what we can do, and just leave her a spot for if she wants to return. Agree?" Roddi suggested, switching the leg that he was placing his weight on as he spoke, "Besides, I get the feeling that our actions are gonna attract much bigger threats and I'm pretty sure that I'm more likely to survive on a team. Plus, someone still owes me some guns!"

NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By NightWarden17

@dr_halloween@rey_everdeen@roddi_bonaparte@jason_ford@kingeditor

Night Warden nodded. "My views align with Roddi, we must focus on the greater good. The more progress we make, the sooner time passes and Jessie returns. As of now, she needs her independence. You'll certainly see her again, Rey. I suggest we target and control the arms trade and other illicit enterprises, and we make as many power plays as possible. We are a team, it is necessary to adhere ourselves to the highest possible standards. All in favor?"

kingeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwarden17, @roddi_bonaparte, @jason_ford, @dr_halloween, @rey_everdeen:

Conrad was shocked to hear the news.

Or... well... maybe "moderately surprised" would be the better phrase.

His interaction with the cowgirl (who he had only just now learned to be named "Jesse James," after the famed outlaw) had been limited to a trip through a portal and a sparring match. And neither of those were in the form of comprehensive personality tests.

Still, he couldn't help but feel much like the psychiatrists in an experiment he had read about that had evaluated the odds of suicide for their subject patient to be slim-to-nil. Only to find out in the morning that she had killed herself. Granted, the degree of difference between that circumstance and this one was considerable. Yet Conrad still felt that it was relevant to his feelings on the matter.

When Red Mask asked for the collective opinions, all Conrad would do was shrug and offer, "I hardly knew 'er. Literally."

Overhearing the tall, dressed in black man mention guns, Conrad smiled.

"I brought plenty of those in my little red wagon!" chimed in Conrad, remembering his not-so-little craft of hand-powered transport. "You can borrow as many as you like!"

Then he heard what the Warden had to say. And it struck him as rather uneasy.

"Um... what now? Arms trade? Illicit enterprises?" he asked, bewildered. Were they going to become the criminals all of the sudden. "Uh... forgive me for not reading the email again, but uh... what the hell is it that we're about to do, exactly?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rey_everdeen: @kingeditor: @dr_halloween: @nightwarden17: @icefire_outlaw: @roddi_bonaparte: @:jason_ford:

Jack tried to calm Conrad's worries with what he assumed was the truth. "Criminals for a while yes, but once the city is clean, we will find a better way. For now I believe we should trust in each others' plans." he commented. Though he made a note to watch the team in case their activities became too twisted. If need be, he would put a stop to them.

"In any event, I might have a... weapon of sorts when circumstances become dire. I know most of you exert cution in the face of magic, but I assure you that this weapon is incorruptible." Jack offered, hoping the promise of extra security would put their minds at ease.

Jason_ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roddi_bonaparte: @nightwarden17: @dr_halloween: @kingeditor:

"Staying together appears to remain a popular plan. So I'm still in unless some unexpected error occurs." He said agreeing to hold together, "We now have come across the problem of a lack of a leading figure, as we had before. Any which way there aren't many options for us. So suggestions may or may not be helpful."

I actually can't come across a useful answer to this. Although technically I would be a good choice, people here don't trust me. Even though Red Mask has yet to betray someone he makes a deal with, he's still a notable criminal and that makes him someone they won't trust. He thought.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By X-Rey

@kingeditor: @nightwarden17: @icefire_outlaw: @jason_ford: @dr_halloween: @roddi_bonaparte:

"Oh, hey there new person. Who are you supposed to be?" Rey asked Conrad. I looked around the room and took a seat, put my head down and continued talking. "I know everyone is asking who our leader shall be now, but how about no one? I can't really trust anyone here, and I don't think you guys are actually leader material, honestly. Ahem. No offense to anyone here." I chuckled.

I stood up, turned my back on everyone and looked at the wall. "Anyway, what are we supposed to be doing now? I'm losing patience being here like a sitting duck."

NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By NightWarden17

@rey_everdeen: For now Rey, we go after the arms and drug trades. I would suggest we go after Salvatore's commanders. Officially, since Red Mask is a criminal on our team, the public will see these covert ops as simple criminal takeovers by Red Mask's empire, but we will turn our targets over to our united jurisdiction. Each of these bosses will be controlled by all of us together, unable to hurt anyone else. Any specific people you recommend to take on first?

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By X-Rey
NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By NightWarden17

@rey_everdeen:@roddi_bonaparte@jason_ford@kingeditor@dr_halloween Our first target the leader of the arms trade. His name is appropriately the Dealer. He frequents the Red Curtain nightclub here in Chicago. He's hosting a major deal there tonight with many of the remaining gunrunners. We strike efficiently, and stealthily. Everyone, head to the armory and suit up. It will scan you and outfit you with the weapons that most fit your preferences.

Jason_ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwarden17: @nightwarden17: @rey_everdeen:

"Considering I formed a crew of over twenty with military equipment in Gothic, I am technically leader material, so to speak. However I have no quarrels with the trusting part, that was to be expected. Only reason Jesse worked out was due to her personality and history made it convenient." He said to Rey shouldering his particle beam rifle and examining it as he then spoke to Warden, "I'm already prepared. But I think calling in come of the Ghost Crew would make sense, like I said they have military level equipment plus my improvements, and if this is supposed to look like me taking over it would make sense if they were involved. Five ought to do it, two with me, and the other three taking up sniper positions. Also, if we can get into it near all entrances and exits, we can more easily take them out. Ambush them basically. Plus some people prepared if they try to escape via sewers or backways."

NightWarden17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By NightWarden17

@jason_ford: OOC: I knew you were prepared,I was speaking to the others.

Night Warden's hidden compartments of his armor and built in utility belt were fully stocked, he was always prepared. He turned to Jason. "Your men will more than suffice, if need be, my men can act as an extra layer of insurance, although I am firm in the belief that we're ready to let slip the dogs of war upon crime in this city. Team, move out."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers