Corey did that on purpose.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dondave

@overmonitor: Where did you get that Thanos Infinity Revelation is non-canon?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Overmonitor

@dondave: The events are never referenced outside of the arc, Thanos mentions being an "energy consumer" so he and Warlock get their sustenance from absorbing energy blasts from cosmic enemies making them basically invincible, Thanos breaks the Universal Weapon, controls Stormbreaker using force field bubbles (never seen that from Thanos before), finds another artifact (unnamed and unmentioned outside of this arc) that allows him and Warlock to reshape the universe in their image and then destroys that universe, beats the crap out of the whole Annihilators team at once, and none of it is ever mentioned outside of that single book. It was written independently of the events of the Marvel Universe. It never mentions incursions or the cabal or the events of Secret Wars Infinity. In fact, Infinity directly contradicts that Thanos is now an energy consumer who absorbs energy blasts. He should have gained sustenance from Thor's lightning if Revelation was canon.

What gives you the impression that it was canon and not just a one-shot miniseries?

I don't remember Ikon in Thanos Imperative but I'm sure you're right. Tony would know I suppose. I am not a huge fan of the Space Knights or their characters.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overmonitor: I honestly don't remember her in there either. I'd have to re-read it. I was just going based off the First Appearance on her wiki-page. I wasn't crazy about the ANNIHILATORS mini but all I really remember is it had a her in it as a Spaceknight.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THORS for police procedures!

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: There is a Chik-Fil-A in Sunnyvale, and another one in San Jose off of highway 237. I LOVE Chik-Fil-A!

And you didn't even mention In-N-Out or 5 Guys!!!

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait a minute..people still take parent's groups seriously?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kervan21: we were mentioning the ones on the survey. Those places you mention, while very good, are pretty local. The survey is more widespread.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Bl00dwerK

5AM on a Sunday morning w/the Comic Vine Weekly Podcast! Great way to wake up!

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Nice, thanks for educating me on all that fast food. I think you should make it a regular segment on the podcast ;p

- Do you really equate Wendy's to be closer to a diner than fast food? Can't say I feel the same way. I put them on the same level as Burger King, which is still not bad.

- It kinda seems like all chain pizza places are weak. In Canada we have Pizza Pizza which has the absolute best app to order pizza with, but the absolute worst pizza.

@kervan21 said:

@g_man: There is a Chik-Fil-A in Sunnyvale, and another one in San Jose off of highway 237. I LOVE Chik-Fil-A!

And you didn't even mention In-N-Out or 5 Guys!!!

- We just got a 5 Guys here and I love it. Excellent, simple food but I'm disappointed they don't have poutine. They've got the perfect fries for it. I don't know about Chik-Fil-Eh though. We don't have them here but I'm sure I wouldn't spend money there. It'd be like spending money at Subway if they hadn't fired Jared... (maybe not that bad)

- Regarding Iron Fist, he could definitely be any race. As long as he's American he'd be an outside in K'un-Lun (I think they mentioned that on the podcast).

- @g_man You should try Ricola cough drops. You gotta love Chruterchraft!

Loading Video...

- @inferiorego Can you give us your thoughts on WWE2K16? Specifically the Career Mode and the Create-a-Wrestler mode. I know 2K15 was a disappointment, hopefully this year was better?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Funniest part of the podcast, hearing parts of the trailer while Matt tried to talk.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@g_man: People are upset that Idris is black beacuse it would change Roland's relationship with Detta. I don't really care either way about that.

@undeadpool Iron Fist story totally relies on his race, it's a deconstruction of the White Savior trope, not an enforcement of it. The comics have tons of commentary on race, class and culture. The story of Iron Fist is that he's a blond haired, blue eyed American son of privilege who learns a better way to live buy this other culture that doesn't accept him. He learns what it's like to be a minority after years of living at the height of the majority. Also he doesn't become better at Kung Fu than everybody beacuse becoming Iron Fist means he's a servant to the people of K'un Lun, it's why they are called Immortal Weapons and he's just one in a long list of them most of which are widely considered better. Also he pretty much fails at being Iron Fist since he abandons K'un Lun for a revenge quest and when he realizes that this is wrong he tries to use what he was taught in K'un Lun to make America a better place. But well meaning airhead that Danny is, he tries to do this by beating up poor people in Harlem and he doesn't realize how messed up that is until he meets Misty Knight and Luke Cage.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By d9000

@jonny_anonymous said:

@undeadpool Iron Fist story totally relies on his race, it's a deconstruction of the White Savior trope, not an enforcement of it. The comics have tons of commentary on race, class and culture. The story of Iron Fist is that he's a blond haired, blue eyed American son of privilege who learns a better way to live buy this other culture that doesn't accept him. He learns what it's like to be a minority after years of living at the height of the majority. Also he doesn't become better at Kung Fu than everybody beacuse becoming Iron Fist means he's a servant to the people of K'un Lun, it's why they are called Immortal Weapons and he's just one in a long list of them most of which are widely considered better. Also he pretty much fails at being Iron Fist since he abandons K'un Lun for a revenge quest and when he realizes that this is wrong he tries to use what he was taught in K'un Lun to make America a better place. But well meaning airhead that Danny is, he tries to do this by beating up poor people in Harlem and he doesn't realize how messed up that is until he meets Misty Knight and Luke Cage.

Is it though? You're certain they didn't just make Danny white because they wanted him to be, very clearly, American?

If you are correct that Iron Fist was a "white savior trope" back in the 70s I still think that 40 years later he could be any race as long as he's a wealthy, airhead American. He doesn't have to be white to learn what it's like to be a minority. I mean if you've got a rich white guy, black guy and Asian guy each one of them could be fully disconnected from the lower class. Plus, these days I personally don't think the "White Savior" thing makes much sense. It might seem outdated if they really pushed that aspect in the show. Plus plus if he's (let's just say) Asian they could add an angle about him reconnecting with his roots. Which is something that 2nd generation immigrants do deal with a lot.

That's just my thoughts though. If they end up casting a white blond dude I wouldn't actually have an issue with that either.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Yep, I mean it's not like he was the first kung fu character or anything. Shang Chi and the White Tigers were created before him.

Like is said the comic actively deconstructs the white savior trope. In a visual medium an asian-american walking down a street wouldn't stand out anywhere near enough or even at all compared to a blond white guy. Who's going to get treated worse in America, an Irish immigrant or a Pakistani one? Regardless how one feels about them looks play a big deal as to how you are treated. Also a rich chinese-american trying to "fix" harlem has so much less impact than a rich white man, Danny and Luke would lose so much of that original tension and racial commentary.

The Netflix has done such a good job at keeping the social commentary in these characters, like the class commentary in Daredevil and the sex and sexuality commentary in Jessica Jones so casting an asian-american Danny Rand is just running in the complete opposite direction. They could try and have there cake and eat it too by casting a mixed race actor but even that loses a lot of the impact of a white\black guy relationship.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Also like Albert Ching said (OPINION: I Don't Want an Asian-American Iron Fist) all an Asian Iron Fist does is reinforce the trope that "all asians do kung fu". There should absolutely be more asian characters\actors in movies in general not just Marvel ones but they shouldn't have to play martial artists every time.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Also like Albert Ching said (OPINION: I Don't Want an Asian-American Iron Fist) all an Asian Iron Fist does is reinforce the trope that "all asians do kung fu". There should absolutely be more asian characters\actors in movies in general not just Marvel ones but they shouldn't have to play martial artists every time.

Well he makes some good points for sure but I don't know. I guess I don't have the right point of view to see the downside.

On the other hand I was surprised to learn that Chloe Bennet is part Asian. I wouldn't have guessed. She has a really interesting wiki page. "At 15, she moved to China to pursue a singing career,[6] under the name Wāng Kěyíng."

WHHHAAAAAA???

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000 said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Well he makes some good points for sure but I don't know. I guess I don't have the right point of view to see the downside.

On the other hand I was surprised to learn that Chloe Bennet is part Asian. I wouldn't have guessed. She has a really interesting wiki page. "At 15, she moved to China to pursue a singing career,[6] under the name Wāng Kěyíng."

WHHHAAAAAA???

Yeah I only found that out a few days ago when I was trying to find other asian actors Marvel has cast and I could only find her and Elodie Yung.

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I don't see too much harm in casting at least a mixed racial character. Especially if they keep the natural blonde hair. He could be like the Marvel equivalent of Street Fighter's Ken Masters.

http://www.writeups.org/img/fiche/4921.jpg