kendigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kendigs

Podcast Time!!!

I welcome the schedule change with the two podcasts! For the same reason, gives me the weekend to read more books!

Deadpool: Fart!

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

What?!? CHANGE?!? Nooooooooo!!!!.... Oh wait, that makes perfect sense. Carry on.

More Corey = More Better

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the move to Monday means you guys have actually read the weeks comics then I think most will be for it.

I personally mainly listen for the comics reviews and it's kind of a bummer just hearing "nope didn't read it" for a bunch of books you're looking forward to hearing discussion about so hopefully this will be a big benefit to the show.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I was watching 18 movies when I was 9. Terminator, Alien, Halloween ect so I'm pretty sure a 15 year old watching a Deadpool movie will be fine.

Seathdroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random comments:

1. On Tony not caring about race in media: I'd like to not care, but it matters. I don't think that much about race and I feel like I'm just like everybody else. But when I do, I realize that others do. So much so that the people who made these things that I enjoy, don't recognize people that look like me as being worthy of characters and awards.....how can I not feel bad? Also, if you can't change an iconic character's race, then there aren't any iconic minority comic characters. There are no 60 yr old black iconic comic characters because they never made them. So for me, I take it on a case-by-case basis.

2. Dicaprio is an Oscar chaser. He's good and all, but he's so transparent in his choices.

3. Black Sails is an awesome show. Especially the 2nd season. C'mon Matt.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@jonny_anonymous: it's not so much a question of whether or not it's "fine" for them but more so if they're buying tickets for other movies and sneaking in to see DP. That would take away from DP box office.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@g_man said:

@jonny_anonymous: it's not so much a question of whether or not it's "fine" for them but more so if they're buying tickets for other movies and sneaking in to see DP. That would take away from DP box office.

People just pay for tickets online now so they wouldn't need to do that.

CyanidePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CyanidePie

Oscar voters are 94% White and 76% Male.

Yeah, that's a problem. To not care about diversity in media is ridiculous, considering we live in the most diverse country on the planet and it's not represented that way in television/movies.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By d9000

@jonny_anonymous said:
@g_man said:

Yeah, but for a kid to sneak into an R rated movie they'd need to buy a ticket for a PG movie, get past the high security ticket collector, then smoothly creep into the R rated movie theatre; thus losing profit for the R rated movie.

Personally I think this is a silly topic (that Mat's been right about since the beginning). If you're decisions while making a film are focused on making it accessible to all ages than (in many cases) you're completely compromising the film itself. They clearly made an R rated Deadpool movie. To change it now so that kids can see it would change the intention of the creator. And if some kid wrote to someone asking for Deadpool to be PG or PG13 instead of R that is a totally ridiculous request. I know it's harsh but sometimes it's ok to say "No, you can't have that" to a kid.

Keeping on the same topic, have they ever released two versions a movie in theatres before? With one being R rated and the other PG. I've never heard of that happening.

@seathdroke said:

Random comments:

1. On Tony not caring about race in media: I'd like to not care, but it matters. I don't think that much about race and I feel like I'm just like everybody else. But when I do, I realize that others do. So much so that the people who made these things that I enjoy, don't recognize people that look like me as being worthy of characters and awards.....how can I not feel bad? Also, if you can't change an iconic character's race, then there aren't any iconic minority comic characters. There are no 60 yr old black iconic comic characters because they never made them. So for me, I take it on a case-by-case basis.

2. Dicaprio is an Oscar chaser. He's good and all, but he's so transparent in his choices.

3. Black Sails is an awesome show. Especially the 2nd season. C'mon Matt.

I may have missed it but I don't think he was saying he didn't care. I thought the convo was all about "are the people who nominate films for Oscars racist because they're overlooking films staring minority actors" or "are the movie creators at fault for choosing to cast white actors instead of minorities/choosing to make films that accommodate white actors"? Personally I think it's the second option which is why I can't take these complaints about the nominees seriously. Because if the problem starts at the film creation level there should be complaints voiced every time an Oscar caliber film is released. It's not that they don't nominate enough minorities it's that they don't have enough minorities to choose from. But I'm not film expert so I don't know.

I totally agree with the changing a characters race on a case-by-case basis. I think it's been mentioned on this podcast before (or maybe the Super Massive Podcast) that if you actually think about it hard enough you can determine if a characters race is tied to their identity. If their race is not an important part of who they are as a person than by all means change the race. It's certainly not an easy thing to decide on, and regardless of the decision there will be some people who are unhappy about it. But using Spider-Man as an example, Peter Parker could literally be any race as long as he grew up in New York.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#13 inferiorego  Staff

@seathdroke: I'm stepping in for Tony here. His point, which he's made a few times in the history of the show, is that for him, personally, it doesn't matter. He's said, growing up, as a Latino, he never personally cared whether or not he was represented in comics or the big screen.

You can apply the same to me, in a way. Hear me out. As one of the 3.8% of Americans with epilepsy, I could say there's ZERO representation of people with epilepsy in comics because they're isn't. According to a bad, quick Internet search, 3.8% (I'm amazed the numbers are the same) of Americans consider themselves to be homosexual, bisexual, or transgendered. I see quite a few people shouting for more representation of those groups in comics.

What's the point? Well, it's on a case-by-case basis, depending on the person and what they want in a comic. I don't care what color the character's skin is, what their sex is, or what they're attracted to. What I personally care about is the characters involved. Are they interesting? Can I make an emotional connection to them? I can relate to a man loving a man because I understand the concept of love and what it's like to yearn for something. That doesn't mean I have some hidden homosexual or bisexual urges. It just means I understand love.

Ok, I think I got way off point. I'm leaving bye!

CyanidePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only think of one white superheroe whose whiteness is actually informative or important to their character, and that's Magneto.

Literally EVERYONE else can be black, or Spanish, or Indian, or Chinese, or any other number of things on this planet that aren't white, and there is no reason for them NOT to be.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By righteous300

@g_man said:

Where I am they check ID if you try to go in with an R rated ticket

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I am completely against that stupid petition for a PG-13 version of Deadpool. My reason for that is two-fold.

1. I agree with Mat. The filmmakers shouldn't compromise their artistic vision just because some people might not be able to see the movie in the theater.

2. A studio giving in to one of these online petitions (of which there are MANY so I'm not sure how this one has gotten so much attention) would set a dangerous precedent. Imagine a world where studios go back on casting decisions because of one of these petitions or any other equally insane scenario. It is ridiculous. Not everything can be for everyone. Some people need to get over their entitlement to be honest.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I agree with Mat that filmmakers shouldn't be compromising their vision. Changing it to be PG-13 from R isn't the same as filmmakers changing their films after receiving NC-17's. Often times that just results in shaving a few seconds here and there. Going from R to PG-13 would be a massive undertaking.

As for the box office argument, Kingsman, another comic book property that was R rated, was released in the same time slot as Deadpool will be and it was massively successful. No issues with people sneaking in or cheating it on sales.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@inferiorego: Matt, you NEED pick up American Alien! It's probably one of the most thoughtful and well-written books out right now. This past issue and the Mighty Thor are probably my picks of the week. And there's a "fight" in there that definitely woulda made Best Battles if you had read it.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@g_man: I'm pretty sure that Taylor's Batman/Superman arc IS in continuity. It's just set in the past, but it's still canon.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#22 inferiorego  Staff

@cyanidepie: Again, I will always make the case for Steve Rogers as Captain America as a white man because Steve Rogers has the look of what Hitler and the Nazis wanted: blonde-haired, blue-eyed, well-built soldier. The idea that the epitome of what the Nazis want is fighting against them is what makes those opening stories work so well.However, at the same time, I'm completely cool with Sam Wilson or Isiah Bradley.