Planet Hulk #4

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This month's issue of PLANET HULK offers up quite the buildup to a pretty awesome fight. Steve Rogers had been captured by a group of Hulks and Devil Dinosaur has disappeared. Luckily, Doc Green is still kicking around and helps out in the fight. Steve also remembers moments from his past with Bucky, whom is searching for in this book. Plus, a pretty crazy reveal at the end of the issue.

It's been pretty obvious, since the start of this book, that PLANET HULK is inspired by a lot of classic adventure films and tales but with this very cool Marvel twist on it. Writer Sam Humphries delivers a fun and engaging story that brings characters together in this weird, weird world. Seeing Devil Dinosaur return to battle was an awesome moment and reestablishes the fact their Warbound. Plus, it's a dinosaur beating people up. What's not to love? The book also continues to build on the relationship between Bucky and Steve, which can be a tough task when one of those characters hasn't been seen at all in this series. The final pages lead the reader to believe that hope is lost.

That's what's really working with this book is that it's taking the reader along for the ride, yet there's moments where it feels like all hope is lost, yet Rogers continues to rise to the occasion. It says a lot about the soul essence of Steve Rogers that no matter who he is, he's always willing to not only do what's right, but also has the ability to overcome great odds. On the downside, the book does have a tendency to drag a bit, on occasion. There isn't too much of that in this issue though. The pacing is solid and moves really well. The only real problem with the issue is that it may leave the reader to want to see a bit more action, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

On top of everything that's great about the book, the artwork by Marc Laming and Jordan Boyd really steals the show. Boyd is a name that keeps popping up when it comes to colorwork that really stands out. He does some solid, beautiful work throughout the issue, but he truly does some outstanding work during the flashback scenes, where everything has this bluish tone to it, giving the feeling of a faded memory. As for Marc Laming, well, he's top notch and needs to be drawing some form of Devil Dinosaur on-going series in the future. He's fantastic at showing emotion in these characters faces as well. This creative team is simply awesome.

PLANET HULK continues to be incredibly fun, which is exactly what readers want to see in a big summer event which can get a bit too serious for some people. Humphries delivers a cool adventure story accompanied by some awesome art from Laming and Boyd. It's a great re-imagining of these characters and the ending will leaving you wanting more.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I haven't been following any of Secret Wars (after Multiversity and Convergence, I'm feeling a little burned out on big alternate universe stories) but I've heard good things about this book, I may check it out.

Do I need to know anything about Secret Wars, or can I just pick this up no problem?

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I've thoroughly enjoyed this series and this issue was no exception. Marc Lamings' art has been a fabulous discovery for me. That last page man, the next issue should be interesting to say the least. Can't wait to see how it wraps up.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CaptainHoopla

@captainmarvel4ever: it's pretty much a standalone story. The only real context needed is that Battleworld is made up of different and separate territories and that Doom is the God of it. And that the characters involved are alternate versions.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#4 inferiorego  Staff
Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Secret Wars should not be compared with what DC did recently. It's much much MUCH better.

SuperiorBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoil it!

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good issue, i also love the art and how devil dinosaur is drawn. I just couldn't figure out who the red king was supposed to be.... i felt as though i should have recognized him...

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It is he that kills. It is he that lives.

IT IS DEVIL DINOSAUR!

*heavy metal kicks in*

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm having trouble believing Sam Humphries could write a book that's as good you're all saying this is.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: I give the book a 6.8 to 7.2. The script is basic and the plot is as well. The pictures are nice but its literally all the same. Best SW tie ins are OMLogan, Renew Your Vows, and Thors. The only truly good tie in is OMLogan but those last two are fun reads. No idea how so many people enjoy Planet Hulk. I guess lots of people just easily enjoy things. Maybe my standards are too Justice League / Batmanish

X_SOLDIER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man… the end of issue #5 was intense.