gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

One of the great things about the Secret Wars tie in books is you sometimes don't realize just how much you've wanted some of these stories. The idea of expanding the Planet Hulk world and story was a fascinating one. As more detail arouse including a gladiator-version of Captain America and Devil Dinosaur, it was clear this wasn't going to be the Planet Hulk we read before. That was seen as a good and bad thing by some.

As with the other Secret Wars books, we're diving into a region on the newly formed Battleworld. Or at least it's newly formed for us. For the residents, this is the life they've always known. From what we see of the area known as Greenland, it's clear it's a place you wouldn't want to visit. As you can put together, for certain reasons, we're getting a different version of Cap that will have to venture into the territory. That's an example of another thing about all this that's interesting. Each region exists on its own but there is the connection to the overall "god" from SECRET WARS and the notion of this all being one big shared physical world. Sam Humphries sets things up nicely. We do get to see more than one area which adds to the bigger feel of the world. Greg Pak also fittingly writes a back up story explaining the "origin" of the Planet Hulk world.

Marc Laming's art is pretty stellar. He gives us plenty of detail in each panel and if we're going to get some big fights coming up, it's going to be a blast. I can't wait to see more characters depicted in this series. Jordan Boyd's colors give a sort of subdued look and feel to the art. They're vibrant but not overly so in a distracting way. The deeper colors really gives some oomph to the feel of the story. Takeshi Miyazawa's art for the back up works perfectly for the story.

The Bad

With this being the first issue, it's setting up the core of the story. Despite the name being "Planet Hulk," we don't fully get into the thick of that region. It's not necessarily an entirely bad thing as it allows us to be introduced to a non-Hulk Captain America along with his motivation for venturing into a world full of Hulks. There is a lot packed into this issue. In some ways you'll feel torn between wanting to see more of the actual Planet Hulk region or more of the Killiseum.

The Verdict

PLANET HULK is a strong addition to the line of SECRET WARS tie in series. Sam Humphries is taking the idea of Planet Hulk to a different level. By mixing some elements from a different region, we'll get to see a gladiator Captain America and Devil Dinosaur enter the story for some guaranteed big action. Marc Laming's art with Jordan Boyd's colors fit the story perfectly. The addition of a back up Planet Hulk world origin by Greg Pak and Takeshi Miyazawa is a great added bonus. Things are really going to heat up next issue. PLANET HULK looks to be a smashing success.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

From the different reviews i have gathered i assume Hulk(Doc Green) is not making an appearance in this issue?

That's weird. Imagine Civil War with first issue of Hulk who had nothing to do with the original Civil War and no Steve Rogers or Tony Stark. I don't think i can get over that... Steve Rogers being the main character of Planet Hulk.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

From the different reviews i have gathered i assume Hulk(Doc Green) is not making an appearance in this issue?

That's weird. Imagine Civil War with first issue of Hulk who had nothing to do with the original Civil War and no Steve Rogers or Tony Stark. I don't think i can get over that... Steve Rogers being the main character of Planet Hulk.

But this is Battleworld Planet Hulk. Not the original story. Two totally different things.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: I know that. I still don't understand why they named it Planet Hulk at all when it has no similarities to it, apart from having a coliseum where gladiators fight and a main villain named red king.

I am really trying to get into this with an open mind, but it has so much going against it...

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Because he's venturing into a region full of Hulks? Hence Planet Hulk?

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rageex2: You are not getting my point, why obviously name it after a fan favorite story from 2006? I mean if you wanna be meticulous about it, it's just a region full of Hulks, not a planet. So they could have named it Land of Hulks. Instead it's obvious what they where doing, they even got Greg Pak to write a side story for it, instead of hiving him the lead on it.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@victorcheenoanleu: I know. People hate and fear different opinions.

No Caption Provided

P.S. Can i ask why are people focusing on one of my throwback comments instead of the review? I don't like the premise, which is apparently a big deal to anyone else that came in this thread.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either way it looks interesting

Ill be purchasing a copy tomm.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

@victorcheenoanleu: I know. People hate and fear different opinions.

No Caption Provided

P.S. Can i ask why are people focusing on one of my throwback comments instead of the review? I don't like the premise, which is apparently a big deal to anyone else that came in this thread.

Lol, good gif.

Anyway, I do agree with you I don't see the point of naming it Planet Hulk if he's not in it, but anyway this is the first issue so he may eventually turn up.

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a planet of Hulks,not THE Hulk.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gothicshieldagent: Oh man you are a genius... for a minute there i thought it's a planet of THE Hulk... how stupid of me. I mean it's not like i already addressed this and said that the problem is not in the name but where the name originally came from. But nope you totally came in here and figured the whole thing out, tell me do you know Neil deGrasse Tyson? Where do you geniuses hang out at?

gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We hang out where people insult us and make snide sarcastic comments. My apologies for my statement if it offended anyone,but the rudeness from you was uncalled for.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: "People are disagreeing with me-- better act like I'm a victim here"

Doctor_Edit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctor_Edit

ok i read all these "comments" and you guys are really offended that they named it planet hulk...its not like marvel never re-used names and titles before. i get what your saying about it being annoying since its completely different but that's like getting mad cause you bought a Captain america comic and found out it isnt steve but falcon dressed up as him..but they named it captain america..its not even him blah blah

acekalama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant wait to get this mofo

Champion99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctor_edit: Its not the the same. Sam actully took the name Captain America. Steve has not taken the name of Hulk.

Champion99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are any of you even Hulk fans to be attacking him like that? Almost all of the comments I've read are aimed to him.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rageex2 said:

@atheistknowledge: "People are disagreeing with me-- better act like I'm a victim here"

LOL, you must be confusing me with an SJW.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ugh, this comment section.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Should anyone really expect understanding from someone who uses that creepy killing joke variant as their avatar, attacks every person who tries explaining this series to him, and that was very quick to throw feminists under the bus without being prompted? He set the bar pretty low already guys, let's not act surprised.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is this issue on comixology ?

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that Secret Wars allows for crazy stories like this to be told. Really excited to read this.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Valley of the Hulks or Continent of the Hulks sounds accurate.

And The Adventures of Captain Rogers & Devil Dinosaur in the Continent of Hulks sounds even more accurate.

More or less, the title of the series is basically a cash grab to lure in readers who loved Greg Pak's original epic saga. I mean, it's got no connection to the original story at all. Some minor homages like the Red King, gladiator fights taking place in a colosseum, but that's pretty much it. Whether it turns out to be a good story or not... we'll have to see.

Nonetheless, I know for a fact that it will never hold a candle to Greg Pak's masterpiece. Besides that, the focus is on Captain America, where as it should be on the Hulk. Yeah, we have different kinds of Hulks, but the story should focus on the Hulk, don't you think?

Honestly, I don't know why you're all giving @atheistknowledge such a hard time. We're all entitled to express our opinions and point out facts, are we not?

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990: Stating something should be like something else is subjective. If the story is good, why does it matter if it has the same name. They never told anyone it would be a follow-up to the original. Why are so offended that they using a title that they own. They are doing it for their other books as well. Just as you are allowed to state your opinion others are allowed to disagree with it.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Well, I think that is simple an homage, a sort of "commemoration". The LAST Big Event of the Marvel is called "Secret Wars" not for his similarity with the original Secret Wars, but for call back to mind the FIRST Big Event of the Marvel. And with the idea that this is "the event that ends all stories", they have simply called the series with name of the old big events or big saga of the marvel history, as a form of Commemoration of the Marvel History.

I don't think there is some other reason. Yes, it may seem without "direct" logic, but is not so absurde.

For my personal p.o.w., I really don't care how the series is titled, if it's good :)

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As everyone else acknowledged in another thread months ago, all these titles they're releasing arw basically What If titles... obvisously they aren't the same as thr originals. So whining about it the title being reuses won't do jack.. Marvel will do what they want.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thedailybagel  Moderator

I'm on the same boat as AK. We all know it's nothing to do with planet hulk (the original), it's just annoying that they've used the name of an absolute masterpiece of a story to make a more or less completely unrelated one.

gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nobodys acting like a victim. you were rude so accept responsibility for it. what is your problem with me anyway? nobody is attacking you they just don't agree with you. you take my statement which wasn't even directed at you specificially and you used the opportunity to make a hateful comment. and for what? a comic book.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@gothicshieldagent: I was being sarcastic after you regurgitated the same point others have thrown at me that i already explained wasn't what the problem was. Anyways i wasn't beign hateful just sarcastic, lighten up. Anyway let's just move on from this i don't have a problem with you.

@sleepbutnodream15 said:

Should anyone really expect understanding from someone who uses that creepy killing joke variant as their avatar, attacks every person who tries explaining this series to him, and that was very quick to throw feminists under the bus without being prompted? He set the bar pretty low already guys, let's not act surprised.

Uh oh, did i get you triggered? Better go back on tumblr and write a blog post on how you where raped today by my comments.

gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay,then. Next time just say,"hey,I already knew that." I should read the posts in better detail,before posting so I don't restate the obvious and come off as a know it all. lol

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

I absolutely loved this comic. It was my favorite tie in of the week.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aliltron: Agreed! I loved everything about this, the story, the writing, and the fantastic art. Can't wait for the next issue. This was an easy 5/5 for me.

Supersmoothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

@aliltron: Agreed! I loved everything about this, the story, the writing, and the fantastic art. Can't wait for the next issue. This was an easy 5/5 for me.

Absolutely. Same here. Beautiful art and great writing.Bring on the next issue!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This wasn't a bad read.... im looking forward to the next issue.