inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Announced on USA Today, writer of BATMAN & ROBIN, Peter Tomasi, will be taking over of SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN with issue #13 in November. Tomasi will be working with artist Doug Mahnke on this book and Tomasi had this to say about the power couple:

"I want to stare hard into the heart of both of these characters and their true love and see what that love means to us, the DC Universe and the people of Earth...Does it pose a danger or a threat? If two people like that are together and in love, where is the drama in that, and what repercussions does it have?"

In SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN, a new group of bad guys are showing up, which involves the reintroduction of Atomic Skull and Major Disaster, who are planning a major scheme. It seems as though it's going to be an all-out and brutal battle for Superman and Wonder Woman.

Tomasi seems very excited to be working on this book, according to his interview at USA Today. He wants to build on what writer Charles Soule started and go from there.

No Caption Provided

In addition to that, issue #36 of BATMAN & ROBIN will start the next chapter of Tomasi's "Robin Rises" story line and features Red Robin and Red Hood. In addition, Batgirl is there with a whole new look.

"All of these characters at this point are in the Robin mix...The Bat-family will, in the end, rise to the challenge of helping a new Robin come to be in the DCU."

Both SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #13 and BATMAN & ROBIN #36 come out in November.

Source: USA Today

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By primebonnick

i like the new author i will miss soule, but the artiste sigh was never a fan. Did we have to go back to superman villains though Jeez.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

good for him . Tomasi is a rising star in my eyes and I welcome his coming on to this book.Hopefully he gives us some great, character-centric stories like he did in Batman and Robin and GLC. Go Tomasi. I believe in you

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doug Mahnke FTW.....oh and...is that Stephanie Brown in that cover?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I was planning on dropping this after Doomed anyway. I enjoyed it for what it was prior to that - especially since the art by Daniel has been gorgeous.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

great. soule was not cutting it for me.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SOG7dc

Also...I'm fanboying over Doug Mahnke's new 52 art work....

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Can we just get the November solicits already?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomasi is working with both Gleason and Mahnke. It's like the glorious GL days again.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@sog7dc said:

No Caption Provided

Dat WW though. Maybe it's just the lighting.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Tomasi and Mahnke will make for a good team. I liked Superman/Wonder Woman in the beginning but Doomed has really drug on and killed my interest in the book. A fresh start for the title is just what it needs.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

At least it'll be better than what Soule has done for the book. Tomasi wrote Superman and Wonder Woman quite well in the last issue of Batman and Robin so maybe this'll be an improvement. I'm still not sold on the couple though and I doubt Tomasi will win me over either.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are you guys clowning Soule? I think he's been fantastic. However the last couple issues have made me yawn a bit. Probably won't stick around after his run.

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damnnn if you take off Barry and Baz, you pretty much have BvS:DoJ :D

Doctor_Mummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctor_Mummy

I might pick this up. I made the mistake of not reading Batman and Robin, a decision I have definitely come to regret.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So seems like Robin Rises could be like Battle for the Cowl: Robin Edition.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Break them up, please. Unconvincing romance is unconvincing.

But I like Tomasi.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Captain13

@sog7dc said:

good for him . Tomasi is a rising star in my eyes and I welcome his coming on to this book.Hopefully he gives us some great, character-centric stories like he did in Batman and Robin and GLC. Go Tomasi. I believe in you

More like deeply entrenched figure--and his New 52 GLC sucked. B&R has been good though.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The book will be far better than before, no question about that. Soule didn't manage to write a compelling relationship between Clark and Diana also everything else seemed to be bad as well. I think this is for the better of the book.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Perfect. Tomasi knows how to deliver emotional scenes and Mahnke is better at action scenes than Daniels even though his WW looks worse.

Anyway I will give the new team a shot.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

What issue is that from? Sure is purdy...

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

At least it'll be better than what Soule has done for the book. Tomasi wrote Superman and Wonder Woman quite well in the last issue of Batman and Robin so maybe this'll be an improvement. I'm still not sold on the couple though and I doubt Tomasi will win me over either.

Maybe not, but I bet (and hope) that Tomasi focuses on just superheroes being superheroes rather than trying to write a romance. If he focuses more on the fact that its a Superman and Wonderwoman team book instead of a Superman and Wonderwoman romance book then I think this will be an enjoyable book.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

What issue is that from? Sure is purdy...

It's Green Lantern 14.

@sog7dc said:

More like deeply entrenched figure--and his New 52 GLC sucked. B&R has been good though.

I enjoyed his pre-52 GLC. That's the one I was referring to.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy excited for this!

I stopped reading SM/WW because I wasn't interested in Doomed but love what Tomasi has done on Batman & Robin. In my opinion one of the best titles the New 52 has.

Mankhe's stuff is stellar also.

Roll on November :)

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

No Caption Provided

I've always enjoyed that page. I can't imagine the fear that must have been pulsing through Baz when he saw all 6 of them. I would've been scared out of my mind.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though Tomasi panders to a certain audience, his Superman was spot on in Batman vs. JL. i gotta admit, his other characters, asides from Cyborg, aren't written badly in his Bat-God book.

Wonder Woman seems diplomatic, Superman seems magnanimous and he's not above writing a nice moment--even between Batman and Superman.

Im glad Soule is gone; that guy blew chunks.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@lvenger said:

Maybe not, but I bet (and hope) that Tomasi focuses on just superheroes being superheroes rather than trying to write a romance. If he focuses more on the fact that its a Superman and Wonderwoman team book instead of a Superman and Wonderwoman romance book then I think this will be an enjoyable book.

Tomasi stated in the interview that there would be inspiration from other great romance novels/films so I'm afraid he hasn't been asked to overlook the fact that this is a romance book between Superman and Wonder Woman. As for it being a team book, I get that vibe too but Soule tried to write his run as a team book and look how well that turned out in the end.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though Tomasi panders to a certain audience

Not really. He hasn't showed any signs of pandering to anyone. He is loyal to the character he writes.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@sog7dc said:

@lvenger said:

Tomasi stated in the interview that there would be inspiration from other great romance novels/films so I'm afraid he hasn't been asked to overlook the fact that this is a romance book between Superman and Wonder Woman. As for it being a team book, I get that vibe too but Soule tried to write his run as a team book and look how well that turned out in the end.

Well Soule is a newbie and he was writing 7 titles at the time :P He didn't really put the heart and effort Tomasi puts in his works.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I thought Soule focused too much on the romance and wasted Zod and Faora's first appearance and Tony Daniels' art. If he does what he's done in Batman and robin and just writes fun stories then I can be okay with this.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@lvenger:

I thought Soule focused too much on the romance and wasted Zod and Faora's first appearance and Tony Daniels' art. If he does what he's done in Batman and robin and just writes fun stories then I can be okay with this.

Yeah that would make the series at least tolerable to read to say the least.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of the creative team,and I personally hope Tomasi uses this opportunity to fix Cyborg Superman,please give us Henshaw.

Soule's run really was a waste in retrospect,what exactly did the characters accomplish in his run,even Doomed becomes good only when Pak writes it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doug Mahnke FTW.....oh and...is that Stephanie Brown in that cover?

I think its Barbara.

Cool. Would of loved him on JL though.

This.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Oh, no, he panders. The question now is, which fanbase is he going to go for?

Or whether he's going to keep it fair and balanced. Soule certainly catered to a Wonder Woman audience who thought that Superman being portrayed as powerful was bad.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Asides from the Nuclear scene between them, I can't honestly point to another romantic moment between them under Soule.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People need to stop criticizing Soule for the Doomed issues, every series in the crossover suffered in some way. Soule is a great writer, it's just a shame that we couldn't see more of his ideas because of Doomed.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Oh, no, he panders. The question now is, which fanbase is he going to go for?

Or whether he's going to keep it fair and balanced. Soule certainly catered to a Wonder Woman audience who thought that Superman being portrayed as powerful was bad.

Like when?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

Like when?

He stopped Cyborg's teleporter from working for like 15 seconds,that's enough for him.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@superguy1591 said:

Like when?

He stopped Cyborg's teleporter from working for like 15 seconds,that's enough for him.

*sigh* Superguy you are like a Flame war magnet :P

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SilverPool

Dat WW

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Asides from the Nuclear scene between them, I can't honestly point to another romantic moment between them under Soule.

Really? There have been a few. Off the top of my head:

-first issue where he gives her a flower

-another issue where they get alone time for Christmas

-another moment where she was rubbing on his chest telling him how strong he is

-another moment where she's getting dressed seemingly after they did it

-and of course the explosion moment.

Thats what I remember and i dropped it at issue 7 so I could be missing some.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this creative change can make this book good to read

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously!? Somebody tell Tim to keep on his costume in the above picture, drop the Red from his name, and get back to work. Jason and Barbara can go back to their respected costumes though

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By Aliltron

Umm...that looks like Stephanie Brown's Robin, not Batgirl

ReviewerOne_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Does that mean he's off Justice League :'( Might be dropping that then.

Lee then Reis than Mahnke? Now who?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does that mean he's off Justice League :'( Might be dropping that then.

Lee then Reis than Mahnke? Now who?

Reis again. Mahnke is there because JL will be double shipping these months so they needed a second artist.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a joke right because it's funny, I mean that couldn't be more farther remove from reality. Soule pandered to Superman's fan at the sacrifice of Wonder Woman but I guess he failed, dismally. All Soule's done successfully is assassinate Wonder Woman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Name one way Soule pandered to Superman fans.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect. Tomasi knows how to deliver emotional scenes and Mahnke is better at action scenes than Daniels even though his WW looks worse.

Anyway I will give the new team a shot.

At least Mahnke's Wonder Woman looks like an Amazon whereas Daniel's looked like a mopey swimsuit model. Technically though, it falls a little flat but hey I'm happy.