Iron Man 2, Superman / Batman Apocalypse, No Ordinary Family

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By roadbuster

Today's a good day for supporting superheroes outside of comic books...  

Iron Man 2 and Superman / Batman Apocalypse hit Blu-Ray/DVD. 
No Ordinary Family premiers on ABC tonight 8PM EST. 

Check out Green Arrow's speed-dial list in the DC Showcase short for those who took home S/B: Apocalypse today. ;-)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm watching Superman/Batman right now =)  

No Ordinary Family looks a bit corny for my taste, but I'll give it a try

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedK

saw the polit, it was alright, thought it was a little lite on the use of powers, but i did set things up for the series

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@Gambit1024:
Its EPIC isnt it?!?!?! 

i loved it 

heh heh she called Batman "Grumpy Ass"
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gambit1024
@Avenging-X-Bolt:  
It's pretty good so far, but I had to stop it so I can catch No Ordinary Family. 

Is the Green Arrow short good??
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@Gambit1024:
i got the regular version because it was cheaper. im just going to wait till DC Showcase comes out in November
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024
@Avenging-X-Bolt:  
Yeah same here. What else is gonna be on the DC showcase?
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@Gambit1024:
Jonah hex, Spectre,Superman/Shazam:the return of black adam
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" @Gambit1024: Jonah hex, Spectre,Superman/Shazam:the return of black adam "
whoa.... 
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@King Saturn:

yep.....epic stuff 

jerry o'connell and george newburn are going to reprise their respective roles from JLU just for this movie
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" @King Saturn: yep.....epic stuff  jerry o'connell and george newburn are going to reprise their respective roles from JLU just for this movie "
thats awesome... 
Formidable 1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Formidable 1
No ordinary family is pretty much a rip-off of Unbreakable and The Incredibles but it was still pretty good. The fight between the father and the teleporter was nice.

Superman/Batman Apocalypse was a horrible gay, teen, emo, girly fantasy. If they are trying to get more girls to read comics or pandering to gay teens they could have at least put a disclaimer on it so I don't have to waste money on something meant for a specific demographic. 

Also only one black male with a speaking part and he turns out to be an illiterate coward? Reprehensible. Black people are more likely to help a stranger and are masters of the english language.
Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I saw No Ordinary Family it was pretty good and I will continue to watch iyt. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

I just finished Superman/Batman. Having never read the arc it was based off of, I thought it was really good. Way better than Public Enemies.  

But I'm a little confused. When Superman was a baby he was rocketed to Earth, right? Meaning he can't have a memory of how it happened. So does that mean Supergirl is older? Cause she remembers the day Krypton exploded a lot better than he does.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Primmaster64

Meh Under the red hood was way better.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit1024
@Primmaster64: Definitely. But compared to the last Superman/Batman movie? This one was an improvement. 
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Primmaster64
@Gambit1024: mmmm yeah I guess so..
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Primmaster64 said:

" Meh Under the red hood was way better. "

Infinitely.  
@Gambit1024 said:

" @Primmaster64: Definitely. But compared to the last Superman/Batman movie? This one was an improvement.  "

You reckon? I thought it was pretty bad. Supergirl vs Darkseid lasting longer than two seconds? Give me a break.  EVERYONE in that movie disrespected Superman. Artemis threatened him. ARTEMIS!

The Green Arrow short was about 50 times better than the main feature. Next time I put it in, I'll probably just watch GA eight times over rather than watch Apocalypse at all.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Static Shock
@Formidable 1 said:
" No ordinary family is pretty much a rip-off of Unbreakable and The Incredibles but it was still pretty good. The fight between the father and the teleporter was nice.
Never seen Unbreakable, but it was definitely a derivative of The Incredibles. LOL. An awesome show, indeed.
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gambit1024
@FadeToBlackBolt: Like I said I didn't read the arc so I can't really critique that scene. I do agree that Supes was kinda disrespected by some of the other characters though
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Gambit1024: Fair call. Honestly though, if I was Clark, I'd have let the freaking Doomsday clones eat their souls. There was no one who treated him with anything resembling respect in that film.

Seriously, when some random Amazon twit starts talking smack to Superman, something is very wrong.
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gambit1024
@FadeToBlackBolt: Definitely agreed. But that kinda speaks about the Amazonian mindset. They feel like they're superior as warriors in every way and everyone who's not can go suck it.
FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FLCL1
@Gambit1024 said:
" I'm watching Superman/Batman right now =)   No Ordinary Family looks a bit corny for my taste, but I'll give it a try "
it looks corny period. the director fails
roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roadbuster

The respect issue is arguable.

1. The film is essentially a Superman film.  It's his cousin, his nemesis, and his climatic battle.  Batman's role is pretty minor with the Amazons as a whole playing a bigger role.  His set-pieces (Fortress, Metropolis, Smallville) and his continuity (President Lex)... it's a Superman world, the others just live in it.

2. Batman expresses his caution and skepticism for Superman's sake.  He defers to all of Superman's decision up and until Kara is taken out into public.  Even then, he's the one to talk... it's not like he whipped out the K-ring and said, "Like it or not!"  Finally, he's willing to go on a veritable suicide mission just because of Superman's attachment to someone Batman doesn't even trust.  It shows how much admiration Bats has for Supes.  Threatening to blow up an entire world and risk your annihilation just for a friend's cousin isn't rational... but it does show tremendous respect for that friend.  That carries over to Barda and Diana who probably aren't quite as close in terms of friendship, nonetheless respect the stature of Superman's ambitions.

3. Wonder Woman didn't exactly take the diplomatic route, but presumably the attack was to prove a point about Kara's dangerous potential.  Nonetheless, on the sacred isle of women, who is so respected that his allowed to step foot on Themyscira?  The SuperMAN!  Kryptonians are so respected as a threat that of all the superhuman and super powered beings peppering DC Earth, Wonder Woman feels compelled to specifically "recruit" or train Supergirl.  The film notes that Lyla had to come to them... but the Amazons went to the Kryptonians.  Additionally, this seasoned warrior and commander of her Amazons gets told by Superman to pull back, against her and their nature... and when he yells, "Do it!" she does.  No back talk, no disrespect, when Superman made a command and tactical decision- the mild mannered reporter, the Kansas farmboy- Wonder Woman respected and executed

4. Supergirl is fairly a rebellious teen overall, but nonetheless more or less follows Superman's wishes for most of the film.  This is pretty incredible considering that she's changed his diapers and is swallowing the fact that who she once babysat was now dictating her life.  She was in awe of how Earth saw him- raising larger-than-life statutes out of respect- and the burden of being a champion.  If you're concerned about the whole power-differential thing, at the end of the day, Superman beats Supergirl off-screen and brings her back unconscious resolving any question of "who would win in a fight?".

5. Darkseid showed respect for the Kryptonians by singling out Kara for recruitment.  They didn't try to recapture Barda or any of the other superhumans... Darkseid wanted a Kryptonian.  Further, he was so impacted by Superman's visit that he personally descended upon the Kent farm.  Imagine the lord of an entire planet taking something so personally as to show up himself.  Not to wipe Earth out with invasion or send hit squads from an entire planet's worth of fury... but to show up himself because Superman made him that mad.  It shows a lot of respect to demonstrate that level of impact by one character on another.  The film respects their fight by dragging it out because we get to see the choreography, the brutality, the destruction, the action beats, etc.  Sure, the JLU moment is a nice talking point but it came in under 90 seconds and was basically three choreographed punches... rehashing that and short-changing audiences would be a far greater disrespect to Superman. 

6. In terms of Superman's power, he averts a dirigible disaster, easily takes out a metahuman amazon, makes the agile/trained/super-strong Artemis fall to the ground with a flick of his wrist, defeats a threat with one move which the whole of the Amazon nation struggled with, stares down a platoon of razor toothed androids with calm and wipes them out so easily it's done off screen (whileeveryone else is perpetually dodging), beats Supergirl, and reshapes Darkseid's face creating a force of nature- a Kansas twister- in the process...!

I don't know that the film is worth dismissing on a respect basis.    

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gambit1024
@FLCL1 said:
" @Gambit1024 said:
" I'm watching Superman/Batman right now =)   No Ordinary Family looks a bit corny for my taste, but I'll give it a try "
it looks corny period. the director fails "
It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. It's still rough to tell how it's gonna get from here though. 
GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By GT-Man