Would you leave a job because of new manager?

Scotchbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Scotchbear

Ok at the has station I work at they are hiring a new assistant manager.

My current manager is awesome and very laid back, but she will be going on leave because of a baby here soon.

This new manager from what I've heard is far more strict and "mean".

Would you simply quit the job if you didn't get along with the new manager or would you message the current manager and tell them to tell the new manager to back off?

I don't want to quit this job because my parents will whine, but I don't want to have work get 5x harder with no raise for no reason.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scotchbear: I've already quit 2 jobs because I didn't like how my superior ran things, but I did stay like 4 or 5 months to be sure the was no possible middle ground in how i like to do things and how they did. FWIW im a software developer.

Scotchbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: ya I'm a college student and once classes start I don't want extra stresses from work too, because I only have a year left and want it to go smoothly.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheVivas

Yup. Already did.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

This is more of off topic...if you're a teen and don't have bills to pay them quit. But, you have to get used to working for or under aholes.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 SC  Moderator

@scotchbear: Please remember to post things like this in Off Topic. Thanks.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dshipp17

@scotchbear said:

Ok at the has station I work at they are hiring a new assistant manager.

My current manager is awesome and very laid back, but she will be going on leave because of a baby here soon.

This new manager from what I've heard is far more strict and "mean".

Would you simply quit the job if you didn't get along with the new manager or would you message the current manager and tell them to tell the new manager to back off?

I don't want to quit this job because my parents will whine, but I don't want to have work get 5x harder with no raise for no reason.

Yes, from the sound of this new manager, I would look into transferring, getting a new job, or resigning, if this manager starts to target you; this is a very similar scenario to what cost me a career in the Federal Government; I also had a very pleasant female supervisor; my second line supervisor drove her away and substituted her with a discriminatory jerk; he never had one good thing to say about me, and it had nothing to do with my performance or my conduct, as he had a negative opinion of me, as soon as he was assigned my supervisor, literally; I just attributed it to my second line supervisor, at first, because he was trying to get back at me, after he forced me to file an EEO complaint; what was happening, from my perspective, was the deterioration of a friendship between myself and my second line supervisor; however, he was bringing my existing supervisor into it, until she resigned for hardship reasons; she was so nice and I'm glad to have known her, even if it was oh so brief; she made it a dream job for me, as long as she was my supervisor. If your supervisor is resigning, I suggest the above options, if you become the target of his attention; the best alternative would either be a transfer or getting a new job, but, you may want to make plans to resign, before he puts you through a hell that you shouldn't experience, before firing you, especially if you're non-white and he's white. I tried to weather the storm but, I was buried, as they were proactively trying to make work life a living hell for me. In my case, looking at it in hindsight, I would have chosen one of two suggestions to transfer before they agreed to transfer me, in reaching a settlement; that is now a focal point of my years long post-employment litigation.

Turncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Turncoat

Depends how bad he is.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, jobs are hard to come by

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Yes. But I'd try and get rid of them somehow first.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePreface

Let them know from the jump what you're not willing to put up with. Managers tend to value employees that reasonably value themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ask yourself this: Is it worth quitting your job?

Avatar image for super_sayian_beyonder
Super_Sayian_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well if they're a /girl/

Roll up real smooth...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, jobs are hard to come by

THIS IS SO TRUEEE OMG THE STRUGGLE I HAVE HAD AND STILL HAD IS CRAZY

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticdwanyemcduffie: makes you wonder how many viners actually work

The hardest fact is some people take jobs as just "I quit and get a job next week or something" I used think like that when my friend's were getting jobs I was like "ooho i could job at anytime because use them as reference" It was stupid thinking and honestly if could take it back have a job now instead of struggling to find a job, get like 1 intreview when play for 20 workplace.

From what reason OP put thread on it isn't that bad, You don't really know the new assisstant manager it could be rumor or something

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By antithetical

As @StaticDwayneMcduffie said in his last post, "it could be rumor", and that's often been my experience with my job when there's been a change in supervisory staff. Everyone is running around talking about how "strict" or "tough" this person is when no one really knows what They're like, and seems a good 90% of the time everyone is completely wrong. My advice would be to sit tight until you know for certain what your new manager's style is like, but have a contingency plan in place if he turns out to be a total douche.

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

This is more of off topic...if you're a teen and don't have bills to pay them quit. But, you have to get used to working for or under aholes.

truth.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It depends on the previous manager.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b89658ba257
deactivated-57b89658ba257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

Yes. But I'd try and get rid of them somehow first.

Why

That's an extremely gamma mind set

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stupid1: Life is too short for avoidable drama.

Anna_Karenina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends, I guess. If it's really unpleasant and not a manageable situation, I probably would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a794b61068b8
deactivated-5a794b61068b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how bad the manager is and how much you need the job. If you can't find another job, and you need money, then it might be better to tough it out for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b89658ba257
deactivated-57b89658ba257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@stupid1: Life is too short for avoidable drama.

That flies in opposition to your previous statement

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Someone hit the nail on the head, if you can afford to go without a job; yes. If you can't? Then no. You won't always work under perfect leadership, in a lot of ways you have to learn how to beat them at their own game. Know how they're going to react before a situation develops and neutralize it. In any case, if this person is really that big of an A-hole, you could probably get with HR.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ivana_strigidae
Ivana_Strigidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its easier to get a job if you already have a job, so I'd shop my resume around a little and then quit when I had found employment elsewhere.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i need money. unless the supervisor or manager was making things a literal hell ill make it work.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b54fc9eb0d8
deactivated-57b54fc9eb0d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its easier to get a job if you already have a job, so I'd shop my resume around a little and then quit when I had found employment elsewhere.

^This.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd find a way to make them leave, if not yes