What's with this stupid font change?

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

@pikahyper I agree with you on the fact that the 2 threads died a lot quicker than expected. I didn't know that the font has also been changed for GB as well, that might be because I don't use the site.

Hopefully the fonts will be changed to something decent, otherwise looks like we'll have to use your font for quite a while. (I hope that you didn't take that offensively) I didn't think about the negatives outside of the site and if it does that will be a problem, but ironic at the same time. A comic book website with a "Comic Sans" font that goes downhill with a simple font change.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#102  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: ya it looks like GB's fonts changed, they have way better header fonts, I was hoping those fonts would be stored on the server that I could "tap" into with my script but they weren't as far as I could tell :(

well doesn't look like people like my font choices, I didn't have a whole lot of time to go through fonts last night though, I only looked at like ten so if the change becomes permanent I'll redo the script and find better fonts that fit the style of the site better. I'll probably keep Segui UI for the top menu's though, I think it looks really good to have the regular text font be the same as the menu text font.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By cloudguy

@pikahyper I just looked at Giantbomb and they are a lot better then what we have by default. I like your font change, it looks a lot more professional compared to what it is by default and it's a lot easier to read.

Have you heard anything from Wcarle about the font change since his initial update last night?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: Ya the GB fonts are pretty sweet, they are using GlyddonRegular for all the headers and GlyddonBold for the top menu and then for the regular text it is the same that CV is using, I guess they didn't feel the need to give GB more character or relate it more to video games...

I probably won't hear anything until they release whatever updates they make.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Yeah I hate it too. It is really bad an too much in your face.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper That sucks, hopefully we'll hear something from him soon.

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Comic Sans is crap.

If you going comic fonts at least use a good one: http://www.blambot.com/fonts_dialogue.shtml

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

y'all are getting so worked up over such a minor change

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This font is terrible, is G-man responsible for this?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

This font is terrible, is G-man responsible for this?

Clearly. Everyone attack him now.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You do know you use a user style sheet with an addon called Stylish and change the site's UI back to the way it was. I will probably make up one this evening and post up instructions on how to install it.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Hey all, wanted to give you all an update. Our designers are reading through this thread for suggestions and is working on updates right now.

Again, we're sorry to spring this on you all. It was sprung on us too, we had a very limited time when we learned the font contract was about to expire to get the new fonts in on all our sites. Our designers' main priority right now is updating the fonts on CV. We had to get something out there quickly and we are working on making it look better right now.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First round of changes are up. We've toned down the usage of the header text especially in the wiki. More updates to come, we're still working on your feedback.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 pikahyper  Moderator

@wcarle: Somebody just told me about the heads up thread on GB, why do we so rarely get any kind of heads up before any type of change to the site? that kind of stuff matters to us too. Rorie hasn't posted here since January.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@algorhythm511 said:

You do know you use a user style sheet with an addon called Stylish and change the site's UI back to the way it was. I will probably make up one this evening and post up instructions on how to install it.

I already did that yesterday on page 2, post #70, nobody really cared unfortunately but I'm enjoying my version.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@wcarle: I'm not seeing much changed for the wiki just the main h1 was changed to user system fonts and then the h1 was made bold with the descriptor text below it turned to italics, am I missing any other changes?

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By algorhythm511

@pikahyper said:

@wcarle: I'm not seeing much changed for the wiki just the main h1 was changed to user system fonts and then the h1 was made bold with the descriptor text below it turned to italics, am I missing any other changes?

I'm using it right now. Love it. I made some modifications to mine and it uses Roboto.

Very clever encoding the font file in the sheet as base64, btw. I would have never thought about that.

I will probably post my sheet to a paste bin in a little bit. I might make one that uses Giantbomb fonts.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: According to our designer this is just the first round of changes. She's working on another round for next week. I'm not sure why a heads up thread wasn't posted here. I thought one was going to be posted but I wasn't super involved in this release, I'll ask around.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@wcarle: Keeping us out of the loop has been a bad habit of theirs for years now that I've wanted to break, you've been pretty good about it.

Even if its just a copy & paste from GB that's better then nothing at this point.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Yeah I realize that's been a huge problem, that's why I'm trying to do my best to keep you guys informed, but there's definitely still a lot of room for improvement on our end.

Thanks man I appreciate it.