What's it like to not be flexible?

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So just some random thoughts. Wanted to see how various people would answer this. Personally, I'm naturally very flexible, I'm double jointed, and I'm really good at getting into positions that would involve much more pain, and injury, for a normal person.

Downside is of course there's a higher chance of accidentally causing some injury relating to the tendons and muscles I think. Joints are the way they are for a reason afterall.

So my inquiry is as follows:

If you aren't double jointed or abnormally flexible, what is it like? Does it feel more like it's restricting or sturdy or a bit of both, because since I feel rather loose as far as the joints go and almost unprotected I'd imagine it would be the reverse for you right?

Also, what are you thinking when you see someone who is capable of bending in an abnormal manner with ease?

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, it's kind of like being flexible, but you can't bend as much.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By superstay

Lol, I'm a fairly flexible person, though I'm not double-jointed...I used to be extremely limber in mi grade school years. And, I've returned miself back to that form, in recent years. But, I can remember when I did loose mi flexibility...

As well, I know many who are not limber, and they usually have hard times with stretching and bending certain body part...joints and muscles tighten and lock up easily, pain when stretching (I've never really experienced it much, beyond minor ligament tugs...but, I could imagine how a non-flexible person would feel), ect.....

d^_^b

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you aren't double jointed or abnormally flexible, what is it like? Does it feel more like it's restricting or sturdy or a bit of both, because since I feel rather loose as far as the joints go and almost unprotected I'd imagine it would be the reverse for you right?

I don't feel restricted or stiff at all. Especially not on a day to day basis. I would just have a sore leg if I tried to put my foot behind my head.

Also, what are you thinking when you see someone who is capable of bending in an abnormal manner with ease?

"What the hell is this guy doing?"

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You won't make a good stripper

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac4e862bd47b
deactivated-5ac4e862bd47b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Still cant touch my toes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be pretty flexible. I was able to lie my palms comfortably on the floor doing the touching your toes stretch. So stuff like that. I stopped doing stretching exercises and all that stuff, so right now I can barely touch my toes. For me the feeling kinda sucks. But I guess you don't really feel restricted or bad about it, unless you actually attempt to touch your toes or do a split. I guess it's not a big deal. If the average person were to start doing an exercise like the deadlift though, then yeah flexibility would be needed. What I'm trying to say is that maybe the average person doesn't even recognize they don't have flexibility or bad flexibility. It's not really needed on a day to day basis.

When I see someone who is capable of bending in an abnormal way or is double jointed, then I usually am amazed and freaked out in a good way.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_ said:

You won't make a good stripper

That's a hard truth to live with.

Klaat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually find flexible people really attractive. c;

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't know, I'm like a human pretzel.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never even thought about it but I'm not flexible. It hasn't really impacted my life in any meaningful way though.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well, knowing I'm not the only one helps me get through the day and sleep at night.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13 JediXMan  Moderator

I'm not double jointed, but I'm reasonably flexible.

DaGit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.... Like normal? I mean... how often do you go about your day bending yourself in two? Can't imagine very often, and its not like I am missing anything by not being very flexible as I have never been in a situation where I thought, "Man, if only I could scratch my head with my foot .... be super useful right about now.."

Nothing? Likely wouldn't notice, and if I did, it would be more of an observation of the fact they are doing that then any real thoughts? Such as, "Okay, that is happening, anyways, what was I doing?" Like seeing someone reading on their break, don't really care what they are reading or doing unless I am super bored and have nothing else to do.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HeroUp2112

I can tell you EXACTLY what it's like.

I used to be heavily into martial arts, and to some degree into gymnastics. I was EXTREMELY flexible (though certainly not double jointed). It made my life much easier and more enjoyable (in many areas). I didn't experience the kinds of aches, pains, and cramps a lot of people in the sports and physical activities many of my peers (especially in the Army) did. You don't have to be a contortionist by any means, just keep your joints, connective tissues, and muscles nice and pliable, so that they are relaxed and not always pulling against your bones.

Since I became seriously injured, had several life altering surgeries (that have tremendously reduced not only my general flexibility, but my ability to stretch and regain my flexibility) it sucks great big donkey parts.

Besides my normal amount of pain, I get leg cramps and aches a lot when I try to sleep. My joints and muscles feel stiff and (I don't know a better word) jerky (even the ones that aren't associated with my injuries), I can actually feel the burn and ache of lactic acid building up in my muscles that I haven't felt since I was in junior high.

I do yoga to the degree that I'm able, but that only barely helps.

My advice is, and has always been, be as flexible as possible even if it's a pain in the butt to become that way. It will make your life better. Just do it GRADUALLY, and safely.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I'm a sprinter, but I'm not that flexible even after I stretched all the time before I run the ground off. To not be that flexible is not that bad, its just that if you do try to stretch more than usual it will start to burn, but luckily I don't feel the burn in my legs, arm and back I just sometimes feel it in other places whenever I stretch differently.

lukespeedblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chill. Can't touch my toes but is alright

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nobunaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well for one I'm definitely not like this

No Caption Provided

And I can barely do this

No Caption Provided

So, uhhhh, it's a sad life rly.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You ever seen a brick, yeah, that's the gist of it.