What is your opinion on ethical non-monogamy?

• 67 results
cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What is your opinion on ethical non-monogamy? (34 votes)

I think it is wrong under any circumstances 15%
I think it is only acceptable in the case of marriage (polygamy) and/or for religious reasons 6%
I have no opinion on the matter 18%
I don't have any issue with it but consider myself monogamous 53%
I practice ethical non-monogamy myself 3%
Other, reply in comments 6%

I wonder what the Vine's opinion on ethical non-monogamy is.

Just to clarify, with this I mean any type of relationship involving more than two people where everyone involved is informed, such as open relationships, menage a trois and the likes. So cheating on a partner who you are in a monogamous relationship with is not considered ethical.

• 
ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What other people do in their bedrooms with other people is none of my business. That's between them and their maker.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What other people do in their bedrooms with other people is none of my business. That's between them and their maker.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

The fourth one. Around here, historically it was quite common for a man to have more than one wife till laws were made against it. Wouldn't have much to say about what others do, just not something I see myself doing.

The only way I'd consider having more than one wife is if I were a king or feudal lord who married to unite kingdoms and needed an army of children as back up, lol.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@thepreface:

Why not King Soloman and his 700 wives? Aim higher :p

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm monogamous myself, but I don't really see anything wrong with non-monogamous relationships.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonez_

I would never ever ever ever do it myself, but other people can do whatever they want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Monogamy is insane. Either be celibate or screw everything in sight.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jonez_ said:

I would never ever ever ever do it myself, but other people can do whatever they want.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still thrown by the fact you decided to call this "ethical non-monogamy." Why not call it.... consensual polygamy?

That's like asking.... what's your opinion on moral killings, defined as killing for morally right reasons....are they morally justified?

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Whatever rocks your boat as a consenting adult

Avatar image for deactivated-5a794b61068b8
deactivated-5a794b61068b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no opinion on the matter. People can do whatever they want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5790531b876c9
deactivated-5790531b876c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luna_joestar said:

Whatever rocks your boat as a consenting adult

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

An' it harm none, do what ye will.

Flickerblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea what the hell you are even talking about so I don't give a damn.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Zetsu-San

@princearagorn1: The more kids you have, the more likely one will betray you and/or their siblings.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's kind of good that polygamy isn't allowed in most countries, I don't have any problems with people having multiple lovers or sharing lovers or open relationships (only if it's consensual of course) but if a guy or girl marries more than one person then it can become really problematic, like say person A is married to B, C, D and D is married to X, Y, Z and same with B and C and X, Y, Z and others, it will be a huge mess, better to marry only one person and have an open relationship agreement.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cpt_nice

@jezer said:

I'm still thrown by the fact you decided to call this "ethical non-monogamy." Why not call it.... consensual polygamy?

That's like asking.... what's your opinion on moral killings, defined as killing for morally right reasons....are they morally justified?

Because polygamy implies marriage, because gamy comes from the ancient greek word gamos, which means marriage. That is why a lot of people choose the term polyamory or ethical non-monogamy to differentiate between someone who is non-monogamous and someone who is married to multiple people. The former is a relationship preference, the latter is a marriage set up.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

I think it's kind of good that polygamy isn't allowed in most countries, I don't have any problems with people having multiple lovers or sharing lovers or open relationships (only if it's consensual of course) but if a guy or girl marries more than one person then it can become really problematic, like say person A is married to B, C, D and D is married to X, Y, Z and same with B and C and X, Y, Z and others, it will be a huge mess, better to marry only one person and have an open relationship agreement.

I mostly agree with this. I am non-monogamous myself but I don't support polygamy, mostly because I don't support the institute that is marriage and secondly because it just paves the way for more trouble than its worth.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By MethoKi

@princearagorn1: The more kids you have, the more likely one will betray you and/or their siblings.

That's a way to look at it.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PrinceAragorn1
ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When/how did this shit become GoT?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Yeah. I don't really care what trips your trigger as long as it's consensual.

My energy is far better spent elsewhere than worrying about what makes other people happy

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shhh...just let it happen...

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlr87t3 said:
@thepreface said:

Shhh...just let it happen...

No Caption Provided

Let's not.

Back on topic, there is a nice GoT thread out there.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Khael

I think polygamy is disgusting and immoral

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khael said:

@lpnq: @thepreface: So it's also none of their wives business? That's stupid.

Wait, what are you even saying?

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khael: I don't understand what you're saying Khael. Be more specific please.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LpnQ

@khael said:

No that's not what i said.

I said "What other people do in their bedrooms with other people is none of my business. That's between them and their maker."

Meaning i dont care about what people do behind closed scenes. And it is the wive's business or else it wouldn't be happening in the first place.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Khael

@lpnq said:

@thepreface said:

So it's also none of their wives business? That's stupid.

It doesn't hurt you, it hurts someone else.

@thepreface said:

@khael: how so?

Polygamy is a form of affair no matter how you look at it, do you really think women like being played or two timed like that? I've seen a LOT of polygamists case in my country, it never ended well for the first wife. Even if they pretend to be happy, jealousy is still unavoidable unless they probably don't actually love each other, well one of them obviously is

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khael:

So it's also none of their wives business? That's stupid.

It doesn't hurt you, it hurts someone else.

First off, this thread is not specifically about polygamy but non-monogamy in general.

Secondly, polygamous marriages also happen with one woman and several men.

Thirdly, if this set up is decided with consensual adults, how is it hurtful.

Polygamy is a form of affair no matter how you look at it, do you really think women like being played or two timed like that?

How is anyone being two timed if everyone is aware? The whole thing about ETHICAL non monogamy is the fact that everyone is informed and willing. Otherwise it would be cheating.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq said:
@khael said:

No that's not what i said.

I said "What other people do in their bedrooms with other people is none of my business. That's between them and their maker."

Meaning i dont care about what people do behind closed scenes. And it is the wive's business or else it wouldn't be happening in the first place.

I admit I misread the statements. You weren't being clear regardless

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khael: If a man can support his wives and children finacially and emotionally and all parties are aware what is exactly the problem?

What's being discussed in this thread is consensual. No deception or duplicity.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_nice:

First off, this thread is not specifically about polygamy but non-monogamy in general.

Non-monogamy is polygamy if I'm not mistaken, or single. There's nothing wrong of being single tho

Secondly, polygamous marriages also happen with one woman and several men.

It's just a reverse scenario, same thing

Thirdly, if this set up is decided with consensual adults, how is it hurtful.

Like I said, jealousy is unavoidable.

How is anyone being two timed if everyone is aware? The whole thing about ETHICAL non monogamy is the fact that everyone is informed and willing. Otherwise it would be cheating.

Dude, do you realize that there's a lot of coercion polygamy even though it remains unexposed most of the time? Love requires affection, faithfulness, and trust. I don't even want to debate this anymore. *sigh

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khael: If a man can support his wives and children finacially and emotionally and all parties are aware what is exactly the problem?

What's being discussed in this thread is consensual. No deception or duplicity.

No deception, doesn't mean no jealousy. And no, at the best scenario, polygamist can only support their family financially

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cpt_nice

@khael:

Non-monogamy is polygamy if I'm not mistaken, or single. There's nothing wrong of being single tho

They are not interchangeable. Non-monogamy is an umbrella term for dozens of different set-ups, including swinging, open relationships and polygamy, which is specifically a marriage involving 3 or more people.

It's just a reverse scenario, same thing

Ok, I was just saying because you specifically mentioned the one man and multiple wives.

Like I said, jealousy is unavoidable.

I disagree, some people do not feel jealousy, or do but have their ways of dealing with it. One of the ways society perpetuates monogamy as the sole way of doing relationships is by saying jealousy is an emotion in which one needs to cater to the wishes of the one feeling jealous, and does not expect the one feeling jealous to do some introspection.

Dude, do you realize that there's a lot of coercion polygamy even though it remains unexposed most of the time?

In religious polygamy, undoubtely. That is not the main focus of this thread though. In fact, if you read the OP I barely mention it. You make this thread solely about polygamy. I do not even support the act of marriage myself, but people need to do what they want.

Love requires affection, faithfulness, and trust. I don't even want to debate this anymore.

That is up to you.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is about sex rather than love. It takes all of me to love my partner fully. I couldn't love two partners the way I want to love my current partner.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_nice:

They are not interchangeable. Non-monogamy is an umbrella term for dozens of different set-ups, including swinging, open relationships and polygamy, which is specifically a marriage involving 3 or more people.

In other word: Polygamy

disagree, some people do not feel jealousy, or do but have their ways of dealing with it. One of the ways society perpetuates monogamy as the sole alternative of doing relationships is by saying jealousy is an emotion in which one needs to cater to the wishes of the one feeling jealous, and does not expect the one feeling jealous to do some introspection.

Uh oh, jealousy is natural. Literally everyone has this feeling unless they don't actually love one another. Even a known polygamist admits this fact. I don't think it's about dealing with it, it's more on living through it.

Still wondering why would a married man/woman date others knowing they have a wife/husband. Having the thought of it or even doing it is already a proof of unfaithfulness

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cpt_nice

@khael:

In other word: Polygamy

In other words, read what I just said. It really is not hard.

Uh oh, jealousy is natural.

How?

Literally everyone has this feeling unless they don't actually love one another.

Yet I don't, and I know plenty of other people who don't or rarely feel this particular emotion. What evidence do you have for this?

Even a known polygamist admits this fact.

I am going to say again, we are not talking just about polygamy here, I feel you are being obtuse for the sake of it. Also, because one person shares their views, does not make it so.

Still wondering why would a married man/woman date others knowing they have a wife/husband. Having the thought of it or even doing it is already a proof of unfaithfulness

Depends on your definition of unfaithfulness I presume.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_nice:

In other words, read what I just said. It really is not hard.

I did. You were like describing polygamy :/

How?

Well, even psychologists confirm this fact. This isn't even debatable

Yet I don't, and I know plenty of other people who don't or rarely feel this particular emotion. What evidence do you have for this?

Yes, have you ever loved someone then she rejected you horribly and married another guy? Did you feel happy about it or did you feel something in your chest instead? That's jealousy, you stated you don't support marriage itself so I don't expect you to understand.

I am going to say again, we are not talking just about polygamy here, I feel you are being obtuse for the sake of it. Also, because one person shares their views, does not make it so.

So none of your evidence is legit either. I'd say all polygamists are wrong and if people stated their view that supports it, I don't care because one person shares their views, does not make it so.

Depends on your definition of unfaithfulness I presume.

Faithful in my language only has one meaning, literally

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cpt_nice

@khael:

I did. You were like describing polygamy :/

Once more, non-monogamy is an umbrella term describing every non-monogamous relationship form, including those with no marriage, at all. Polygamy is limited to marriages involving more than 2 people. This thread is about non-monogamy, not polygamy specifically, and I feel you are derailing things by making it about that exclusively.

Well, even psychologists confirm this fact. This isn't even debatable

That is a bold claim, so proof please.

Yes, have you ever loved someone then she rejected you horribly and married another guy? Did you feel happy about it or did you feel something in your chest instead? That's jealousy, you stated you don't support marriage itself so I don't expect you to understand.

So because I don't support marriage I can't know what it feels like to be rejected? Seriously, how old are you?

http://www.bentley.edu/impact/articles/nowuknow-why-millennials-refuse-get-married

Millenials are moving away from marriage, it literally is at an all time low. Does that mean these people do not have loving relationships?

Anyway, when I get rejected, I feel sad, not jealous. Two totally different emotions.

So none of your evidence is legit either. I'd say all polygamists are wrong and if people stated their view that supports it, I don't care because one person shares their views, does not make it so.

I am not the one claiming that all people this or that, you are the one doing that, without providing a shred of evidence. Generalisation usually is not the way to go.

Faithful in my language only has one meaning, literally

Good for you. Faithfulness in my eyes has nothing to do with monogamy, but with honesty and consent.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_nice:

That is a bold claim, so proof please.

Google it. Anything about jealousy from psychologist's article

I am not the one claiming that all people this or that, you are the one doing that, without providing a shred of evidence. Generalisation usually is not the way to go.

Should I need to? There are already too many cases about this, you just need to open your eyes even though most of them don't write articles on internet

Anyway, when I get rejected, I feel sad, not jealous.

I wasn't only talking about being rejected

Good for you. Faithfulness in my eyes has nothing to do with monogamy, but with honesty and consent.

This is literally the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Monogamy is mainly based on faithfulness, you can google this as well

I'm done here

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jezer

@cpt_nice said:
@jezer said:

Because polygamy implies marriage, because gamy comes from the ancient greek word gamos, which means marriage. That is why a lot of people choose the term polyamory or ethical non-monogamy to differentiate between someone who is non-monogamous and someone who is married to multiple people. The former is a relationship preference, the latter is a marriage set up.

Okay, I'm willing to accept the connotations of the term, though I feel it could still be clarified by saying polygamy(in terms of relationships, not marriage), but non-monogamy seems just as efficient a word. Learn something new every day.

I'm still confused about why history coined the term "ethical" non-monogamy. Seems like "non-monogamy" in and of itself clarifies the meaning in the same way---though neither version overtly clarifies that its not referring to marriage. Throwing ethical in front of it does not modify the behavior into being ethical----ethics usually has the connotations of rules of society or underlying rules. So, its strange to use it to modify some sort of personal type of relationship to mean its more open.

Not saying non-monogamy is unethical, just saying throwing "ethical" in front of it to somehow make it more open than "non-monogamy" doesn't make sense, conceptually, for whoever created the term, far as I can presently tell.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cpt_nice

@khael:

Google it. Anything about jealousy from psychologist's article

Nah, you are the one making bold claims, prove them or refrain from saying stuff you can't back up.

Should I need to? There are already too many cases about this, you just need to open your eyes even though most of them don't write articles on internet

That sounds a lot like, "I am just saying whatever, trust me on this".

I wasn't only talking about being rejected

What were you talking about then?

This is literally the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Monogamy is mainly based on faithfulness, you can google this as well

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/faithfulness

Faithful,

strict or thorough in the performance of duty:

true to one's word, promises, vows, etc.

So in other words, if my partner and I have a series of rules within our non-monogamous relationship, and we stick to them, we are being faithful. Faithfulness as in sexual exclusivity is one way to be faithful. I do not follow said believe.

I'm done here

Ok

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer:

Okay, I'm willing to accept the connotations of the term, though I feel it could still be clarified by saying polygamy(in terms of relationships, not marriage), but non-monogamy seems just as efficient a word. Learn something new every day.

Indeed.

I'm still confused about why history coined the term "ethical" non-monogamy. Seems like "non-monogamy" in and of itself clarifies the meaning in the same way. ethics usually has the connotations of rules of society or underlying rules. So, its strange to use it to modify some sort of personal type of relationship to mean its more open. Not saying non-monogamy is unethical, just saying throwing "ethical" in front of it to somehow make it more open than "non-monogamy" doesn't make conceptual sense for whoever created the term, far as I can presently tell.

I understand your point. I don't always use the term ethical non-monogamy in full, because that is a mouthful and I also agree the term clarifies the meaning. I did so in the OP because people not familiar with the concept tend to say things like "Oh so like cheating?" or "Oh so like cheating but with permission?". The idea is that the fact that there is clear consent and knowledge makes it ethical, as to make a clear distinction between non-consensual non-monogamy (cheating and forced polygamy as happens in some nations) and other forms.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HeroUp2112

I picked the fourth one.

I don't know how people do it, but I certainly wasn't able to do it, and I should have known better than to have tried.

I DID try the polyamory thing because my ex wife wanted it so badly and everything, However, she's not to blame because I made the choice to say yes, even though it went against my principles and how I've always felt about things. Point is, told her we'd try it, with the option to say "Nope, didn't like it, we're out" The option wasn't given to me when I took it until I say the "D" word, by that time it was too late.

Anybody reading...I'm NOT saying people are wrong for doing anything like this, I'm saying be SURE of what you're doing, and WHY before you get involved with anything like this. I'm not saying it's wrong AT ALL.

I AM saying think about this... Think about how complicated a relationship is with ONE other person. The ups and downs, the traumas, heartaches, and all that. Now throw a third person into the mix. Not saying it's BAD just it can be very VERY complicated. Just be careful folks. Also...I've seen people do it, and do very well at it...with kids and everything...yep..two husbands two wives..buncha kids. So...it CAN work..just not me :)

EDIT PS: Point of interest...that four person family I mentioned...only the actual "couples" of husband and wife were actually "legally married" I hope I explained that right.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_nice: It isn't hard to google something, you know and you lack common sense. Not arguing about polygamy tho, this argument is literally the definition pointless