WH40K Q&A Thread

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alright, so: over the summer I read up on 40K. A LOT of 40K. Going through so much deep and vast lore, there was nowhere to start. And so, this thread was born, so that no-one would have to go through what I went through.

Ask away! (Just tag me)

And to help me, @killerwasp and @pokergeist (sorry for wasting your time).

Starting question: Abandon the Despoiler vs Captain Titus of the Ultramarines, servant of our spiritual liege Matt Ward.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factualfanboy: who is the god emperor of mankind? How did he get so powerful?

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could help if you want

But to start.........

Is there enough Dakka?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factualfanboy: Think they'll do an End Times in 40k? if so, how do YOU think it would play out?

Avatar image for aiartificalintelligence
AIartificalintelligence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abaddon deffo

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FactualFanboy

@sergeant-rl3: @removekebab: @giliad_:Sorry, but Titus stomps. The dude fought a transforming chaos prince while falling off a building and kicked it's ass. The GEoM is the leader of all mankind and is basically 40K Jesus. In the year 800 BC every magical human ever sacrificed themselves to make a supreme leader of all humanity. 'Nids kill off all life and Chaos servants, leaving the Chaos Gods still powerful but with no pawns. GEoM eventually dies and the warp is safe, and Necrons fully re-awaken to kill off what's left.

@jwwprod Nice avatar! I'm sold on the forces of Tzeetch. I also love them 'Nids. Need a Tyranid Hormagaunt to go with my Zergling.

@decaf_wizard Sure, I'll need all the help I can get!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwwprod said:

@factualfanboy: Favourite 40K faction?

Just interested, but what is yours?

To be specific I like Blood Ravens and Necrons

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factualfanboy: Aren't the Eldar forming some new deity within their craftworlds and maiden planets?

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FactualFanboy

@decaf_wizard: Aside from aforementioned 'Nids (whom my avatar is of) and CSMs of Tzeetch, the Raven Guard rock. Play as them in Space Marine multiplayer, which is to say private exterminatus solo.

@Sergeant-RL3 kind of. The souls of all Eldar are put in little cube necklesses that take in their souls when they die. These power cubes power all Craftworlds, and when the time is right also power Eldar death machines made of Wraithbone, which is almost EXACTLY like Necrodermis. Any super Eldar should is chosen as an avatar of (Eldar war God. Actually exists In the warp, but was fragmented by Slaanesh when s/he was born.) These avatars are equivalent to a Titan maybe? Better than a knight though. Primarchs, chaos princes and others of that teir use avatars for "the worf effect". Look it up on tv tropes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergeant-rl3 said:

Aren't the Eldar forming some new deity within their craftworlds and maiden planets?

OP's answer was a little muddled unless you know 40k Lore, so I will try to clarify

Yes. In the past, the Eldar were essentially able to created deities left and right but after the creation of the Chaos God Slannesh and the fall of the Eldar from their position of galactic dominance, the deity called Ynnead is essentially their last hope. The craftworlds contain massive psychic constructs called infinity circuits made of wraithbone which contain the souls of basically all the Eldar that have their soul captured at death. When the last Eldar dies, the Eldar hope that all the infinity circuits will merge and form a new god named Ynnead which whill defeat Slannesh.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factualfanboy said:

@jwwprod Nice avatar! I'm sold on the forces of Tzeetch. I also love them 'Nids. Need a Tyranid Hormagaunt to go with my Zergling.

Nice choices :)

@jwwprod said:

@factualfanboy: Favourite 40K faction?

Just interested, but what is yours?

To be specific I like Blood Ravens and Necrons

Ask me this question on my Ask me Thread and I will answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010b6e44d6
deactivated-627010b6e44d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One character I hear lots of debate about on various battle forums is Kharn the Betrayer. Some people say he would struggle against movie Jedi and others claim he could tangle with the Hulk. Who's right?

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob8 said:

One character I hear lots of debate about on various battle forums is Kharn the Betrayer. Some people say he would struggle against movie Jedi and others claim he could tangle with the Hulk. Who's right?

Well, Warhammer has a few contradictions here and there, so stuff can be weird with power scaling etc. Another fact to consider is 40K vs 40K battles are hard enough on their own, given the immense amount of lore to chug down. All said and done, Kharn is undoubtedly a 'high tier' character. Being a space marine is a lot, being around since before the Great Crusade is even more. But being a several millennia old chaos space marine champion of Khorne, second only to Angron, is a hell of a lot. I have no doubt Kharn could slay episode 2-era Jedi with ease, and he could probably kill off most of the episode 2-3 cast unless they unite, in which case most would die unless sheer luck smacks Kharn. His blessing of Khorn is that weapons of mind and metal fail before hitting him, making light sabres sheath and possibly force powers fail. He's also got a wicked plasma pistol that would leave guys like Thing and Red Hulk reeling in pain.

TL;DR Kharn has a good chance vs hulk, and dominates so much.

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

No Caption Provided

Also, Image:

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It's the final Bump-down".

"(Bump bump) DON'T YOU DIE ON ME! (bump bump, bump bump.)"

If this thread stays inactive, i'm putting it into hibernation, waiting until it is needed (kind of like Roboute Guiliman(or Lionel (Johnson))).

Avatar image for unusual_suspect
Unusual_Suspect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who (or what faction), if any:

...Created the warp storms that protected the primitive Tau from extermination by the Imperium?
...Introduced the Ethereal Caste during the Mon'tau?
...Created Farsight's Dawn Blade?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who (or what faction), if any:

...Created the warp storms that protected the primitive Tau from extermination by the Imperium?

...Introduced the Ethereal Caste during the Mon'tau?

...Created Farsight's Dawn Blade?

1: Nobody knows. Creating warp storms has only ever been done on a large scale by groups with tremendous psychic power though. Chaos can generally be rulled out, as can the God Emperor. That leaves the Eldar which I will go on about later

2: GW has never officially come out and say. However there are sources hinting that the Eldar and were involved with genetically modifying the Tau etherials, hinting at their involvment with the early Tau empire and did so to basically created an empire to fight the imperium if need be. Its dubious if this is canon though

3: Nobody knows. GW has said nothing and there are few hints, but we do know that:

a) The blade predates humanity

b) Was created to fight demons.

This could suggest Eldar, but again, its mostly just speculation.

Avatar image for unusual_suspect
Unusual_Suspect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard:

1. It also could potentially include a surviving member of the Old Ones race, couldn't it? I know the conventional wisdom is that they were wiped out during or immediately after the War in Heaven and/or the invasion of the Enslavers... but even an individual Old One would probably have enough psychic might to get the job done. More likely to be Eldar or luck/plot armor, but worth considering.

2. Are you talking about Xenology, with that story of the Eldar stealing an insect race's queen (Q'orl, wasn't it?) that was known to have specialized pheromone organs? A fascinating read, though it's fairly old fluff... its reliability seems tenuous, which I think you've agreed with. Again, not-as-extinct-as-we're-lead-to-believe Old One[s] also seem a viable possibility, especially given their well-established proclivity towards race-creation and modification. I've also heard mention of Cegorath and The Deciever as possibilities - thoughts?

3. Eldar seem a possibility (particularly one of the mythical Swords of Vaul), but I kinda thought Necrons seem the most likely. They cover the "predating humanity" element, and while there weren't demons when Necrons were last running around, they were fighting a race of god-tier psykers, the naturally psionic Eldar, and the gestalt-psyker Krorks, so the weapon could simply be anti-warp (with the added benefit of being effective against Demons). Beyond even that, Necrons were known for their short lives... a weapon that steals the lifeforce of the enemy and adds it to the weilder's own sounds right up the Necron's alley.

And of course (I know, I know) Old One technology can't be counted out either, though the Talisman doesn't seem like it would be appropriate Old One tech - why would Old Ones need the sort of psychic protection (particularly against Demons) when their psychic superiority was unchallenged during their reign?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unusual_suspect said:

@decaf_wizard:

1. It also could potentially include a surviving member of the Old Ones race, couldn't it? I know the conventional wisdom is that they were wiped out during or immediately after the War in Heaven and/or the invasion of the Enslavers... but even an individual Old One would probably have enough psychic might to get the job done. More likely to be Eldar or luck/plot armor, but worth considering.

2. Are you talking about Xenology, with that story of the Eldar stealing an insect race's queen (Q'orl, wasn't it?) that was known to have specialized pheromone organs? A fascinating read, though it's fairly old fluff... its reliability seems tenuous, which I think you've agreed with. Again, not-as-extinct-as-we're-lead-to-believe Old One[s] also seem a viable possibility, especially given their well-established proclivity towards race-creation and modification. I've also heard mention of Cegorath and The Deciever as possibilities - thoughts?

3. Eldar seem a possibility (particularly one of the mythical Swords of Vaul), but I kinda thought Necrons seem the most likely. They cover the "predating humanity" element, and while there weren't demons when Necrons were last running around, they were fighting a race of god-tier psykers, the naturally psionic Eldar, and the gestalt-psyker Krorks, so the weapon could simply be anti-warp (with the added benefit of being effective against Demons). Beyond even that, Necrons were known for their short lives... a weapon that steals the lifeforce of the enemy and adds it to the weilder's own sounds right up the Necron's alley.

And of course (I know, I know) Old One technology can't be counted out either, though the Talisman doesn't seem like it would be appropriate Old One tech - why would Old Ones need the sort of psychic protection (particularly against Demons) when their psychic superiority was unchallenged during their reign?

1@2) It is entirely possible that the Old Ones could've created the Ethereials and protected them in their infancy if they were to still exist, but the issue is that they stand out like a diamond among mud in the warp. They would attract demons on a similar level to a Blood Raven battle barge going through the eye of terror with their gellar field turned off. I personally fail to see how they could've survived the creation of Slannesh and the fall of they Eldar even if they could have survived everything else. Cegorath seems possible if the Eldar in general are involved but genetically manipulating races doesn't seem to be up his alley. Manipulating them in the normal sense sure.

But like I said, and you know, Xenology is questionable in its reliability. So its pretty much anybodies guess

3) I guess it depends on how you interpret the lore. Demons weren't really that much of an issue before the War in Heaven, and the fluff directly states it was designed to be used against demons.

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unusual_suspect: I'm just guessing, but...

1. Probably luck/plot. The more factions GW has running around, the more money they make off figures.

2. Probably Darwin's evolution? Don't know really.

3. No chance of guessing.

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: I've had a thought:

"A Space Marine from 40K will make your favourite character's blood spray". Meme-able or not?

Avatar image for super_saiyan_devil
Super_Saiyan_Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a legit question: Is the Canoptek Tomb Stalker worth fielding?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_saiyan_devil said:

I have a legit question: Is the Canoptek Tomb Stalker worth fielding?

Not in my opinion. Its only real use is against melee combat swarms and it gets decimated by pretty much all long range stuff as well as plasma and melta. It is too expensive point wise and doesn't have enough attacks to be useful against anything that isn't standard Marines and is royally screwed by any actual melee armies and hordes of melee units. Its also a pain in the rear end to actually get into range

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: I've had a thought:

"A Space Marine from 40K will make your favourite character's blood spray". Meme-able or not?

No, but I might use it XD

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many Orks would it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By Keenko

How strong is the average Ork?

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keenko: Depends on the writer. Sometimes on par with marines, sometimes below. 5 tons would probably be an upper estimate for an 'average' Ork boy.

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FactualFanboy

@thekillerklok: All of them.

@keenko It does vary quite a bit, but two 'average' Ork Boyz and lift a car, and Nobz can kick holes in small trucks.

Warbosses though, are beastly.

@decaf_wizard is that the Imperial Guard symbol? Not very good with 40K iconography.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factualfanboy said:

@decaf_wizard is that the Imperial Guard symbol? Not very good with 40K iconography.

Culexus temple symbol acually

@keenko said:

How strong is the average Ork?

Depends on the writer, but easily above peak human in any incarnation and about 5 tonner max.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@decaf_wizard: @pipxeroth: Are there any crossing between factions? Like Eldars cool with Orks or something? Also, aren't the space marines completely like genocidal?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keenko said:

@decaf_wizard: Are there any crossing between factions? Like Eldars cool with Orks or something? Also, aren't the space marines completely like genocidal?

Not really for the most part. Here is a rundown:

Orks kill anything that moves and Tyrannids eat anything that moves.Eldar and Humans don't get along but can be convinced to ignore eachother over a common enemy, although ususally never outright help eachother. Necrons hate everything and act like massive A-holes most of the time. Tau and the Imperium basically ignore eachother because it wouldn't be worth the Imperiums time to kill the Tau and the Tau don't want to poke the hornets nest so to speak. Tau and Eldar are on OK terms. Dark Eldar don't care about anything other than being disturbing little sweatgoblins that will kill you, rape you, then eat your flesh and preserve your brain in a jar to fiddle with, so everbody hates them. Chaos is chaos and is on good terms with anybody that succumbs to their power but everybody that doesn't generally hates them.

Space Marines aren't that genocidal. Some can be willing to work with Xenos races, like the Blood Angels and Salamanders or at least be convinced to ignore them in face of a bigger threat. Others like the Deathwatch and Dark Templars are complete fanatics though

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keenko: @decaf_wizard:

Orks kill anything that moves

You're a bit wrong there. Ork behaviour differs hugely between clans, they're not a one-dimensional-kill-everything race. Sure all orks share the same instinct of loving to fight, but clans such as the Blood Axes and Freebooterz will gladly work as mercenaries for other races (specifically the Imperium and Tau, and eldar who *think* they're tricking the orks), and it's important to remember even though only about 6 or 7 clans are the main focus of most 40k media, there are thousands of clans out there, so there's bound to be some that are even "honourable" as it were.

Eldar and Humans don't get along but can be convinced to ignore eachother over a common enemy, although ususally never outright help eachother.

Eldar are more likely to ditch the Imperium rather than stay to fight, though.

Necrons hate everything and act like massive A-holes most of the time.

You're stuck in 4th edition, this is completely wrong in current lore. Like with the orks, the necrons now have a huge amount of dynasties (basically clans) each with different motives. So some may still be genocidal terminator zombies who hate all life, but there are plenty that are willing to trade and work with other races, some that are honourable, some that just want to be left alone, some that want to join together to wipe out the nids, etc.

Dark Eldar don't care about anything other than being disturbing little sweatgoblins that will kill you, rape you, then eat your flesh and preserve your brain in a jar to fiddle with, so everbody hates them.

Your first part is accurate, but Eldar don't actually hate them per se. Because Eldar are racist little bastards, DE are the only faction they'll ever actually save, because they're still Eldar.

Space Marines aren't that genocidal. Some can be willing to work with Xenos races, like the Blood Angels and Salamanders or at least be convinced to ignore them in face of a bigger threat. Others like the Deathwatch and Dark Templars are complete fanatics though

I'd say they're pretty genocidal, the only races they'll really ever work with are dumb orks or eldar who think they're being tricky. Races like Tau and Necrons though they will stop fighting with and work together in the event of, say, a Tyranid invation. So they're quite bad, but honestly, when you're living in a galaxy where 99% of things want to murder you in the most painful manner possible, why wouldn't you be?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipxeroth said:

You're a bit wrong there. Ork behaviour differs hugely between clans, they're not a one-dimensional-kill-everything race. Sure all orks share the same instinct of loving to fight, but clans such as the Blood Axes and Freebooterz will gladly work as mercenaries for other races (specifically the Imperium and Tau, and eldar who *think* they're tricking the orks), and it's important to remember even though only about 6 or 7 clans are the main focus of most 40k media, there are thousands of clans out there, so there's bound to be some that are even "honourable" as it were.

When a big enough Waargh rolls around though, all that basically goes out the window. Unless you get truly massive Waaarghs when they get advanced enough to have diplomats and the like. Orks aren't my thing though, so im not to informed on the Orc clans

You're stuck in 4th edition, this is completely wrong in current lore. Like with the orks, the necrons now have a huge amount of dynasties (basically clans) each with different motives. So some may still be genocidal terminator zombies who hate all life, but there are plenty that are willing to trade and work with other races, some that are honourable, some that just want to be left alone, some that want to join together to wipe out the nids, etc.

I have not once heard mention of an honourable Necron in the lore, but tell me if im wrong. I know about the dynasties, but really when do they act out of anything but their own intrests. They care very little for anybody but themselves and almost always have alterior motives to everything they do. They only ones that work with people do so because they have no other option most of the time. Only the hyper emo ones like the Silent King want to be left alone

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard:

When a big enough Waargh rolls around though, all that basically goes out the window. Unless you get truly massive Waaarghs when they get advanced enough to have diplomats and the like. Orks aren't my thing though, so im not to informed on the Orc clans

Oh absolutely, but you're making it out as if orks are by nature just going to attack and kill everything in sight, which isn't the case. It's also important to note that relative to the total ork population, Waaagh!'s are really very rare. And the huge Waaagh!'s most certainly do not stop for anyone. They fight until they can no longer fight.

I have not once heard mention of an honourable Necron in the lore, but tell me if im wrong. I know about the dynasties, but really when do they act out of anything but their own intrests. They care very little for anybody but themselves and almost always have alterior motives to everything they do. They only ones that work with people do so because they have no other option most of the time. Only the hyper emo ones like the Silent King want to be left alone

The Sautekh dynasty is a shining example of "honourable" necrons, specifically when it comes to Nemesor Zandrekh, who is so honourable that he refuses to use assassins and tries to capture the enemy commanders alive. Though to be fair he has a bit of brain damage, but the point still stands.

Of course most Dynasty's they all act in their own interests, literally every faction does that. That doesn't change the fact that there are still Dynasty's out there that aren't assholes. And I don't know why you're trying to exclude the Silent King, given he's technically the leader of the entire Necron Race.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipxeroth: Well first off Waaagh: The Beast had orks that used diplomats, so they wouldn't be stopped, but definitely were able to surpass their raw WAAARGH instinct. This also would hint that they would be in the position to not kill somthing or ally with something if it benifited them.

Im trying to exclude the Silent King because he is what 99.9% of Necons arent. Humble and willing to give up power

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Didn't know about that, but it looks nice. A bit big though. I'll keep this as a much younger second cousin to yours.

Also, YOUR pokerguist? Didn't know that either.

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New favorite Space Marine chapter: the Black Templars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vh_N8CpcL0 (20:10-20:30)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factualfanboy: I have always liked the Dark Angels above anything else. Black Templars ain't got anything on them, even numbers

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FactualFanboy

Bump?

@decaf_wizard: Black Templars are Batsh- crazy though, and zealotry is pretty damn important after the 26th-millennium mark.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump?

@decaf_wizard: Black Templars are Batsh- crazy though, and zealotry is pretty damn important after the 26th-millennium mark.

Don't you mean 36th?

Whatever favours the Templars get by zealotry is cancelled out by ignoring rules and getting the inquisitions panties into a twist. The Dark Angels are VERY loyal, have among the purest Geneseed and can just blackmail the crap out of the High Lords to change the records when things don't go their way

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: I meant 26th, as that's when the Imperium started. The Black Templars have massive numbers; not nearly comparable to the (legion building) Dark Angels, but still multiple times that of, say, the Ultrasmurfs.

lukespeedblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been reading several recent novels from the Horus Heresy that suggest Kurze is one of the most skilled primarchs in h2h. Any lexicanum info to support this?

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been reading several recent novels from the Horus Heresy that suggest Kurze is one of the most skilled primarchs in h2h. Any lexicanum info to support this?

Well, Kurze is a beast in h2h. He's not the best though; Angron the Angry is a monster who could probably take both Lorgar and Corax at once, and Horus one-shotted Sanguinus.