The term "political correctness" is a passive-aggressive excuse for expressing racist/bigoted tendencies

• 125 results
DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonatelloRawks

I myself am fed up of ridiculous instances of political correctness (Digital removal of all guns from Steven Spielberg films for instance), however I think people should stop slapping the "political correctness" label everywhere and examine the policies/speeches on a case-by-case basis. If you notice around, there's a lot of passive-aggressive right-wing kiddies posting stuff like "lol @ regressive left" and saying that attacking racist/bigotry speeches was simply "some tear-filled response from the politically correct SJWs". Stuff like that.

Yawn.

I guess its been universally accepted that racism and bigotry are negative qualities and there exists a segment of population who are still bigots but they had no way to express these tendencies except hide them under accusations of well-intended words/policies of being "politically correct" - passive aggressive eh?

Example: The fact remains that Donald Trump made inappropriate, insensitive speeches such as the Muslim ban bullshit. Or women should be punished for having abortions (lol).

What do you think?

Avatar image for elijah_c_washington
Elijah_C_Washington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm gonna like this thread.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cameron83

Well, I hate PC, but I have noticed that a lot of the people that blindly throw that label at anything that they do not like without much rhyme/reason tend to be bigots themselves.

But a person is within their rights to have a stupid, bigoted opinion. They just shouldn't expect people to respect them after that point.

I don't know if this is accurate, but it almost seems as if you are saying that, while PC are sensitive and call everything racist, that a large portion of the other side seems to tolerate and defend racist ideas more than they should?

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DonatelloRawks

@cameron83 said:

Well, I hate PC, but I have noticed that a lot of the people that blindly throw that label at anything that they do not like without much rhyme/reason tend to be bigots themselves.

But a person is within their rights to have a stupid, bigoted opinion. They just shouldn't expect people to respect them after that point.

Bolded statement in your quote: That's what I am pointing out.

I know there are lots of these people outside of the internet, and within specifically these forum I know who are these bigoted posters who hide their racist/bigot tendencies behind the label "politically incorrect". I dare bet they won't have the balls to respond here lol.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By incursion2

This...this will be fun. And whilst I do not support Trump, the muslim ban was only on those entering the country, not the ones already in the country, and it was only a temporary one. And its not racist or bigoted to be cautious of the muslims from the midest, in fact the U.S can ban certain groups of people it deems dangerous or a threat. President Jimmy C did this during the iran hostage crisis. Anyways just my two cents, I dont hate anyone haha :)

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This...this will be fun. And whilst I do not support Trump, the muslim ban was only on those entering the country, not the ones already in the country, and it was only a temporary one. And its not racist or bigoted to be cautious of the muslims from the midest, in fact the U.S can ban certain groups of people it deems dangerous or a threat. President Jimmy C did this during the iran hostage crisis. Anyways just my two cents, I dont hate anyone haha :)

I don't think Trump is bigoted, and I might even hesitantly argue that his speeches weren't bigoted. But they lack sensitivity and had offended people all over the world. I believe there are ways to implement that suggested policy of his without using his dumb tone of language that easily invite the idea that he is bigoted.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Cool.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Political correctness is stupid and wrong

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cameron83

@donatellorawks said:
@cameron83 said:

Oh, okay.

Well in that case (in response to what I posted), I don't even think that all of the people that do that are bigoted, but it's just a trend that I've noticed. It makes it hard to have a discussion with someone when they throw labels at everything they don't like, regardless of which end of the political spectrum they are on.

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonatelloRawks
@cameron83 said:
@donatellorawks said:
@cameron83 said:

I know there are lots of these people outside of the internet, and within specifically these forum I know who are these bigoted posters who hide their racist/bigot tendencies behind the label "politically incorrect". I dare bet they won't have the balls to respond here lol.

Oh, okay.

Well in that case (in response to what I posted), I don't even think that all of the people that do that are bigoted, but it's just a trend that I've noticed.

Yep. I will add that it is tedious to actually filter out who is being bigoted and who is not when they are being "politically incorrect"

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cameron83

@depinhom: I don't think that the OP disagrees with that (in fact, I think that it was one of the first things he said, more or less), but what are your thoughts on the trend (if there even is one)?

Avatar image for leonardo_liafador
Leonardo_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom said:

Political correctness is stupid and wrong

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sommie7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@incursion2: Trump and his camp want to punish poor refuges that is not their fault.

The US needs to stop fucking up countries.

We would not have these problems.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sommie7890: Yeah the U.S Gov has messed quite a few places, but Language

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I agree with PC, but not in this case. But does this mean more censorship for films and etc?

Film is art and someone's vision shouldn't be ruined because of it. In some cases yes but removing guns seems pointless to me IMO.

PHoeULniKx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PHoeULniKx

I would call Trump a bigot because he either ignorantly or knowingly spreads false information about non-white persons, women, and other groups.

There is a point where it does not matter if you are ignorant or malicious--they both become just as dangerous as the other.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By depinhom

@cameron83: Well, to be honest, I don't understand it. I know what it is, I just don't get why it exists. Political correctness, in my opinion, infringes upon the first amendment. I mean, in a lot of schools, saying "Merry Christmas" is considered wrong. Instead, you're supposed to say, "Happy Holidays".

I mean, it's not like I'd say Merry Christmas to a Jewish kid, am I right?

ryubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's not, political correctness is way liberals use to pretend to be morally superior, an act of self-congratulatory arrogance.

I hate people overly-obsessive with diversity and minorities representation, those changes in comic books and movies are biased, I'd love to see those so called progressives raging their asses off when an emblematic black or female character/icon was replaced for no reason with a white male (as if that ever were to happen).

Also, when people rely on buzzword words like "bigot", "racists", "misogynist" their arguments lose their value almost entirely.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy. This should be a fun read.

PHoeULniKx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PHoeULniKx

RyuBH

@depinhom said:

@cameron83:

A lot of people do and just do not care.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm conflicted, I believe it's right in some cases and wrong in others.

The funny part is that I'm a horror fan.

Regarding film, times have changed so you can't get the same things in movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

PC stands for P&$$^ crushing.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's alright to be sensitive to other people's race, religion, etc. Just do not go overboard.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoeulnikx: Well that's got nothing to do with political correctness, that's just being rude, haha

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By dernman

@phoeulnikx said:

RyuBH

@depinhom said:

@cameron83:

A lot of people do and just do not care.

and they shouldn't? Just like it's not a problem if someone Jewish says Happy Hanukkah to some Christian kid.

I find a problem with people who get offended or tried to make it out to be a bad thing. I also think it shows their intolerance.

PHoeULniKx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PHoeULniKx

@depinhom said:

@phoeulnikx: Well that's got nothing to do with political correctness, that's just being rude, haha

As far as I am concerned, that is what "political correctness" is. Just an attempt to not be rude to other people.

Yes, it can sometimes go too far (like any positive thing), but I am suspicious of anyone who dismisses it out of hand.

@dernman: But when that does happen, Christians not only get offended, but can discriminate against non-Christians, because they are the majority. As an Agnostic, I have to be careful how I behave and speak, because a lot of people feel that this is a "Christian nation" and thus any deviation is cause to discriminate against me.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom said:

@cameron83: Well, to be honest, I don't understand it. I know what it is, I just don't get why it exists. Political correctness, in my opinion, infringes upon the first amendment. I mean, in a lot of schools, saying "Merry Christmas" is considered wrong. Instead, you're supposed to say, "Happy Holidays".

Yeah, it's pretty much getting worse over the years. There are a number of drawbacks to it. I think the reason why it sounds so popular is because it sounds good on paper, but in practice it's just terrible, as can be seen in a number of ways.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's alright to be sensitive to other people's race, religion, etc. Just do not go overboard.

This. The gun thing in the OP is beyond me.

Avatar image for inquisitor_lavellan
Inquisitor_Lavellan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are getting sick of being labeled as Nazi KKK GamerGater Chaos-loving bigots themselves for simply having a different opinion than the mob of harassers plaguing the internet masquerading as a progressive movement, that is why. They don't necessarily need to be a right-wing nutjob, even identifying as a liberal themselves that doesn't subscribe to their dogmas is enough to be labelled one.

Here is an example: Have you ever visited Everyday Feminism and seen the asinine garbage written there? If you attempt to criticize it you get called a bigot too. How would you feel about that?

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know is that I love all types of people and the rest of the world should be the same. Life would be so incredibly calm and peaceful. Sigh...

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By BappyRonChantin

racist, bigoted people do tend to get hostile towards the term, doesn't mean instances of it isn't annoying the hell out some of the most level headed people too

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Political Correctness is a backwards tool that does nothing but to censor, silence and change anything that it doesn't agree with because of the poor hurt feelings of a few people. The conservatives used it back in the 90s and now the liberals and progressives are using it, but even worse.

I don't agree with people like Donald Trump throwing it around every chance they get and using it as an excuse to say stupid shit sometimes. But there are a couple times when he's used it correctly. That's the downside of criticizing PC. There will be people who cry PC for everything and to justify their stances.

But the overall picture still remains and PC is terrible. I'd rather people be using it to justify their bigoted talk and stances, than the other extreme. Which is to pander to anyone with hurt feelings and then censor, change or silence whatever it is that offended them. The point is to try to stay in the middle and practice good judgement, or else you'll just end up at either extreme.

Btw, I didn't even know that the walkie talkies in E.T. were actually guns. Mind blown. Good thing Spielberg came to his senses and is now going to stick to his guns (no pun intended).

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mfundroid: That sounds like a controlled and boring utopia.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to be PC because I like to have actual discussion's and debates with people. That can be difficult to do if you're using loaded terms that you know will piss people off. Now, there is a limit to it all of course... ya don't have to be PC all the time.. but as a general everyday 'default' setting to the way one thinks and speaks... yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. Plus it's great for the vocabulary.

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to be PC because I like to have actual discussion's and debates with people. That can be difficult to do if you're using loaded terms that you know will piss people off. Now, there is a limit to it all of course... ya don't have to be PC all the time.. but as a general everyday 'default' setting to the way one thinks and speaks... yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. Plus it's great for the vocabulary.

I think you ought to see Political Correctness as a pejorative. You only label instances that you think is politically correct. You don't have to classify every speech that sounds "nice and fluffy" to be political correctness.

To do the latter is what comicvine right-wing troll wannabes would typically classify "political correctness" as, falling right into their trap.

Political Correctness is a backwards tool that does nothing but to censor, silence and change anything that it doesn't agree with because of the poor hurt feelings of a few people. The conservatives used it back in the 90s and now the liberals and progressives are using it, but even worse.

I don't agree with people like Donald Trump throwing it around every chance they get and using it as an excuse to say stupid shit sometimes. But there are a couple times when he's used it correctly. That's the downside of criticizing PC. There will be people who cry PC for everything and to justify their stances.

But the overall picture still remains and PC is terrible. I'd rather people be using it to justify their bigoted talk and stances, than the other extreme. Which is to pander to anyone with hurt feelings and then censor, change or silence whatever it is that offended them. The point is to try to stay in the middle and practice good judgement, or else you'll just end up at either extreme.

Btw, I didn't even know that the walkie talkies in E.T. were actually guns. Mind blown. Good thing Spielberg came to his senses and is now going to stick to his guns (no pun intended).

In America and other extreme-free-speech nations you are free to talk shit and all - the OP did not deny that and I don't think anyone else is against that. But even in these countries the freedom to talk means you also have to accept the consequences.

Donald Trump is free to cry that he is being anti-PC and he is free to even say racist/bigot speeches for all he wants, if his country's laws allowed it. Does it mean everyone else has to sit back and do not counters of their own?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donatellorawks: Yes, I know all this. And I never said people are not allowed to counter him. I welcome people to debate each other and I welcome difference of opinions. I myself criticize Trump. I don't know what you're trying to get at. I simply explained what I thought PC was and is.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also see it as a semi-discreet way for crybabies to silence something or someone that they don't like or are offended by. For example you may off-handedly refer to a transsexual person as a "trannie" or the like and they'll be like "Wah you can't say that, that's not politically correct!"

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also see it as a semi-discreet way for crybabies to silence something or someone that they don't like or are offended by. For example you may off-handedly refer to a transsexual person as a "trannie" or the like and they'll be like "Wah you can't say that, that's not politically correct!"

Except the fact that "crybabies" don't use the term "political correctness". Also, yay for free speech - these "crybabies" are free to cry.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if I have learned anything so far, it is that bolding parts of my paragraph makes it look like I have something worth saying. Which, I must say, is a very vital life skill. I mean, even if I have nothing worthwhile to say, if I bold it, suddenly people are more likely to read it, or at least, the part I bolded. Can you imagine if I was talking about something else, but randomly threw something like, women over thirty are more likely to eat ice cream then men, even if it wasn't true, or, I mean, it could be, but I have no idea. Can't say I care at the moment either, I am still wrapping my head around the ancient art of selective bolding.

But really, what if I, the moderately interesting person that I am, was a bigot? Can't say I would really care about what random people on the internet thought about me even if they made a thread in an attempt to scare us dastardly PC Bigots (Am I a PC closet bigot... A-Am I even PC? Well, questions for another time like when I go soul searching at the bottom of a bottle). There are just so many other ways I can see myself wasting away my life like... watching fish dance across a screen in the tradition-honed Taiwanese mating ritual, or, you know, waiting in vain until I die since that isn't a thing. In a world of PC Brahs, they can tolerate my intolerance. Or... am I the tolerant one and they are the intolerant ones and I have to tolerate their intolerance of my tolerance of my own intolerance... Well, isn't that just confusing.

Either way, I feel I leave this place with my mind expanded on this new forum technique even if it is sometimes used poorly. I promise, I shall only use this power for evil and my own personal gain, I mean, for the good of... oh, why bother, the bolded part is what is important. Silly wut, you must train harder.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donatellorawks: I didn't suggest they weren't free to cry. And yes, I've had several people confront me about it in the name of political correctness. I understand that they're free to do so.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Damn muties, it's all their fault.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I myself am fed up of ridiculous instances of political correctness (Digital removal of all guns from Steven Spielberg films for instance), however I think people should stop slapping the "political correctness" label everywhere and examine the policies/speeches on a case-by-case basis. If you notice around, there's a lot of passive-aggressive right-wing kiddies posting stuff like "lol @ regressive left" and saying that attacking racist/bigotry speeches was simply "some tear-filled response from the politically correct SJWs". Stuff like that.

Yawn.

I guess its been universally accepted that racism and bigotry are negative qualities and there exists a segment of population who are still bigots but they had no way to express these tendencies except hide them under accusations of well-intended words/policies of being "politically correct" - passive aggressive eh?

Example: The fact remains that Donald Trump made inappropriate, insensitive speeches such as the Muslim ban bullshit. Or women should be punished for having abortions (lol).

What do you think?

Political correctness is murdering free speech. Take the word "retarded" as an example. It is a professional term used for those who are late in their mental development. But PC banned it. Then people used Special. Now that is not ok either. Disabled - Not ok. Now we are being forced to call them Differently -abled, when in fact, they are just retarded and that is ok, it is not hateful to call them that it is simply true. I mean i was given warnings for using the word Retarded (without calling anyone that, mind you, just using it to describe the retardedness of an idea) on ComicVine and had my posts altered so they say "Lame".

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silkyballfro94 said:

@mfundroid: That sounds like a controlled and boring utopia.

It wouldn't be controlled or boring at all, we'd just all be accepting of all people without prejudice or bias with all of our personalities in tact. Being calm and peaceful tends to lead to a happier and more fun lifestyle, unless you believe chaos and war makes the world interesting to live in. Either way it's a utopia and you can't disagree with the fact that you wish world acceptance and peace was a deep and natural human characteristic among all of us.

PHoeULniKx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: But you know very well that bigots and jerks did not use the word correctly. "Retarded" may have once been a legitimate word. So was "lame". But they lose that meaning when enough jerks abuse it.

That is exactly WHY some people have had enough.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoeulnikx: Ye but, no matter how many new words you come up with they will always denote a mentally retarded person. PC people are demanding that we don't treat them as such and are trying to exclude words that denote them. I have seen so called "inclusion" systems where they send kids with disabilities in regular schools because they are not different than other kids and they both hold back the class and are unable to participate. Political Correctness is ok, but it needs to learn where to stop. Making up word after word will not make those people any less disabled and people will use mental retardation as an insult towards people who are not actually retarded. Or is the idea to completely remove insults altogether? In all honesty that sounds dumber than the previous one.

Avatar image for inquisitor_lavellan
Inquisitor_Lavellan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hocko1999_virus said:

Except the fact that "crybabies" don't use the term "political correctness". Also, yay for free speech - these "crybabies" are free to cry.

No they don't use the term political correctness, they label it with the opposite "hate speech" and try to silence it at all costs.