The Science Thread

P00TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is this how "normal" people view comic book geeks? Or math nerds? I honestly like MANY of the posters in this thread. But after reading these science nerds comments..... I want to punch all of you in your nerd faces(lucky I can't fight)!!! So much GEEK-NESS in one place is violating my sense of macho-ism. I'm honestly upset at this thread...dyson spheres, transhumamism, space fabric...WTF ARE YOU NERDS TALKING ABOUT?? and more importantly...WHY??! I'm going back to the Religion Thread where things make sense!!

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@p00ty said:

Is this how "normal" people view comic book geeks? Or math nerds? I honestly like MANY of the posters in this thread. But after reading these science nerds comments..... I want to punch all of you in your nerd faces(lucky I can't fight)!!! So much GEEK-NESS in one place is violating my sense of macho-ism. I'm honestly upset at this thread...dyson spheres, transhumamism, space fabric...WTF ARE YOU NERDS TALKING ABOUT?? and more importantly...WHY??! I'm going back to the Religion Thread where things make sense!!

=)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@lukespeedblitz: Using technology and science to enhance the human body beyond it's limits as well eliminating the bodies natural life span.

My opinion is that it's inevitable, whether some think it's immoral or dangerous or whatever, it will happen. Personally I think it will be a net positive. What it will look like, I dont know. I have a feeling that something like Ghost in the Shell is very likely. The future will be an interesting place to live, not just because of cybernetics, but also because soon we will be able to genetically change the human genome to come up with totally new species of humans. When that happens, it will be a major event in human evolution. No one knows what will happen after that.

I totally agree. It only makes sense for humans to control how we evolve as a species. Also if we are ever going to leave this planet to start colonizing our solar system then transhumanism will not only make it easier but also a lot safer.

Lejon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe

Intresting

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#605  Edited By Thekillerklok
Loading Video...

I found this to be neat.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting video on the difference between science, and pseudo-science

Loading Video...

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#607  Edited By dshipp17

@willpayton said:

Interesting video on the difference between science, and pseudo-science

Loading Video...

And, being a scientist, in trying to understand something like evolution, I go to creation.com to find weaknesses in the theory; if you avoid going to a place like creation.com, than you're making evolution pseudo-science; you're trying to create the conditions where evolution is a certainty in your own mind; but, for the rest, it's just the latest adjustment to make an atheistic point of view seem right by trying to mischaracterize the evidence that supports Christianity and God as somehow completely invalid; if I took what he said, than the scientific branch of archaeology and history would have to be labeled in the pseudo-science category; it actually does not matter if you take the approach to confirm a hypothesis or disprove a hypothesis, as it's based on observations; so, either approach would tell you if a hypothesis is correct or incorrect; essentially, some things are not fully subject to scientific testing, like the proof for history, Christianity, and God, as I'd previously stated.

Loading Video...

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton:

I can't watch things online.

What is the difference between science and pseudoscience?

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#609  Edited By BappyRonChantin

@spareheadone: science is assisted with facts and paperwork

Pseudoscience is pretending you know science, but your claims lack proper ground

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would've thought pseudo science was evident in the practice of science but not in the hypotheses.

However I would say that assuming in your heart that your hypothesis is reality can lead to incorrect practice of science. For example belief in vestigial organs, pseudo genes and junk DNA stemmed from scientists who believed whole heartedly in Darwinian style evolution. People have had tonsils and appendixes removed unnecessarily, thus shortening their lives based on this pseudo science.

It's soooo important to be open to ideas and truth rather than hiding in an ideology that suits your view and feels comfortable.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton:

I can't watch things online.

What is the difference between science and pseudoscience?

The video discusses philosopher Karl Popper's ideas about the difference between science and pseudo-science. According to him,

-science disconfirms

-pseudo-science confirms

What that means is basically that in science you come up with an idea and then try to disprove it. You try to find evidence that disconfirms it. Psedu-science does the opposite, it takes an idea and then tries to find evidence to support it.

This goes along with the notion that something is a scientific hypothesis or theory only if it can make predictions that can be tested and falsified through observation.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And we might be sending tiny little spacecraft to another star system soon.

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a really good video discussing why "God" is not a good theory of the universe. It discusses various aspects of the science and philosophy related to what a theory of the universe should look like and compares God vs the Multiverse Theory.

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

And, being a scientist, in trying to understand something like evolution, I go to creation.com to find weaknesses in the theory; if you avoid going to a place like creation.com, than you're making evolution pseudo-science; you're trying to create the conditions where evolution is a certainty in your own mind; but, for the rest, it's just the latest adjustment to make an atheistic point of view seem right by trying to mischaracterize the evidence that supports Christianity and God as somehow completely invalid; if I took what he said, than the scientific branch of archaeology and history would have to be labeled in the pseudo-science category; it actually does not matter if you take the approach to confirm a hypothesis or disprove a hypothesis, as it's based on observations; so, either approach would tell you if a hypothesis is correct or incorrect; essentially, some things are not fully subject to scientific testing, like the proof for history, Christianity, and God, as I'd previously stated.

Going to a creationist website will in no way help you understand evolution or science. If you want to find weaknesses in any theory then you need to use logic and look at evidence. You need to look at the theory and its predictions and then compare them with what you see in the universe.

You also seemed to miss the whole point about why only trying to confirm a hypothesis is different from trying to dis-confirm it. Science tries to disprove theories because that's how you know whether a theory is incorrect, and that's how you can avoid self-delusion. Religion tries to confirm, but finding confirming evidence will never tell you whether an idea is true or not. I can say that "all cars are red" and then present example after example of red cars, but that neither proves that all cars are red or that all cars are not red. It only tells me that at least a certain number of cars are red. To really test the theory I need to try to find contradictory evidence.

As far as what's not scientifically testable... if it's not scientifically testable, then you have no way to know whether that thing is true or not.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are Transporters "Suicide Boxes"?

Loading Video...

Would you use a transporter if they existed?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#621  Edited By dshipp17

@willpayton said:
@dshipp17 said:

Going to a creationist website will in no way help you understand evolution or science. If you want to find weaknesses in any theory then you need to use logic and look at evidence. You need to look at the theory and its predictions and then compare them with what you see in the universe.

You also seemed to miss the whole point about why only trying to confirm a hypothesis is different from trying to dis-confirm it. Science tries to disprove theories because that's how you know whether a theory is incorrect, and that's how you can avoid self-delusion. Religion tries to confirm, but finding confirming evidence will never tell you whether an idea is true or not. I can say that "all cars are red" and then present example after example of red cars, but that neither proves that all cars are red or that all cars are not red. It only tells me that at least a certain number of cars are red. To really test the theory I need to try to find contradictory evidence.

As far as what's not scientifically testable... if it's not scientifically testable, then you have no way to know whether that thing is true or not.

"Going to a creationist website will in no way help you understand evolution or science. If you want to find weaknesses in any theory then you need to use logic and look at evidence. You need to look at the theory and its predictions and then compare them with what you see in the universe."

It appears that you have a fundamental misunderstanding about what that website contains and what it's all about; so, what do you mean by a creationist website (or, what do you think the website contains, for the most part)? And I certainly do test evolution against science by getting information that allows me to remember information that allows me to apply critical thinking to a specific article purporting to substantiate evolution.

"I can say that "all cars are red" and then present example after example of red cars, but that neither proves that all cars are red or that all cars are not red. It only tells me that at least a certain number of cars are red. To really test the theory I need to try to find contradictory evidence."

Or, if, for centuries, all apples that I saw were red, so, I believe that apples are red; now, just because you find a green apple and become popular, and in the news for the notion that apples are not red; but, all you've found was a green apple; that did not displace my belief that apples are red. Basically, science is finding out some aspects of how nature behaves, but, that in no way displaces all Christians' belief that there is a God and He created the universe and earth within it.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#622  Edited By dshipp17

@willpayton said:

And we might be sending tiny little spacecraft to another star system soon.

Loading Video...

I'm actually really looking forward to this mission and I would like to contribute to this mission for some ideas of how to prepare for the mission; I also want to present some ideas of how the speed can be increased and the mission shorten some, perhaps down to 8-10 years instead of the 20 plus 4 years.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, check out this video... I thought this was pretty cool.

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, so another really cool video, this time of glass shattering. Enjoy.

Loading Video...

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This is why we need science

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for mr_nofunallowed
Mr_NoFunAllowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#627  Edited By willpayton
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did we get any new evidence for abiogenesis yet?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

This is not my field, so I dont keep up with it, but I know that new information about how complex molecules are formed is being learned all the time. Here's a couple of recent findings that I'm familiar with:

There's this article from 2012 that shows that subjecting some complex molecules to interstellar radiation can form some of the building blocks of life:

http://www.space.com/17681-life-building-blocks-nasa-organic-molecules.html

And this recent article (2015) shows how some of these building blocks can be formed deep under the sea in hydrothermal vents:

http://www.astrobio.net/news-exclusive/lifes-building-blocks-form-in-replicated-deep-sea-vents/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

This is not my field, so I dont keep up with it, but I know that new information about how complex molecules are formed is being learned all the time. Here's a couple of recent findings that I'm familiar with:

There's this article from 2012 that shows that subjecting some complex molecules to interstellar radiation can form some of the building blocks of life:

And this recent article (2015) shows how some of these building blocks can be formed deep under the sea in hydrothermal vents:

http://www.astrobio.net/news-exclusive/lifes-building-blocks-form-in-replicated-deep-sea-vents/

Thank you, sir.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:
@willpayton said:
@xlab3000 said:

Thank you, sir.

New research also suggests that geothermal vents might have been very important in early life:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/massive-genome-analysis-suggests-life-began-in-hot-springs/

Lejon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So have we found any evidence that white holes exist.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#633 Mortein  Online

@lejon said:

no

Lejon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-07/cifs-nmc072516.php

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:
@lejon said:

no

Not that I'm aware of either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

@willpayton What field of science are you in?

I have a degree in astrophysics, but I work in software engineering.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My physics is limited to A level and personal interest but I consider myself competent I've always had a good understanding of physics anyway. Despite this, however, I feel this question is very simplistic. If Gravity is just an illusion and objects travel along the shortest curve of space-time, from what I recall this is more or less correct but I'll have to recheck. Then why if I threw a basketball at 10mph and a tennis ball at 50mph would they not travel the same route and land in the same place? I imagine it has something to do with space-time and I can probably find the answer elsewhere but while I'm here... Apologies if it is a simple question.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_ said:

My physics is limited to A level and personal interest but I consider myself competent I've always had a good understanding of physics anyway. Despite this, however, I feel this question is very simplistic. If Gravity is just an illusion and objects travel along the shortest curve of space-time, from what I recall this is more or less correct but I'll have to recheck. Then why if I threw a basketball at 10mph and a tennis ball at 50mph would they not travel the same route and land in the same place? I imagine it has something to do with space-time and I can probably find the answer elsewhere but while I'm here... Apologies if it is a simple question.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Could you clarify what you mean?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting video showing a model of gravitational waves caused by two large objects orbiting each other.

Loading Video...

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: If objects simply travel along the shortest curvature of spacetime then why do all objects not follow the same line and fall in an identical pattern regardless of mass or velocity.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_ said:

@willpayton: If objects simply travel along the shortest curvature of spacetime then why do all objects not follow the same line and fall in an identical pattern regardless of mass or velocity.

Well, each object follows a straight line along spacetime. If an object is moving in such a way, so that it's experiencing no forces acting on it, it's following what's called a "geodesic".

Objects follow these geodesics starting from whatever position in 4-space they are... so obviously different objects will follow different geodesics. It's the same as if spacetime were flat, objects moving in different directions will just keep moving in those directions and not meet up unless they were actually in a collision course.

Now as far as the question of "if I threw a basketball at 10mph and a tennis ball at 50mph would they not travel the same route and land in the same place?" The answer is no, because they're following different geodesics. Even though they're both moving in the same curved spacetime, they still have different spacial velocities, and velocity affects the shape of the geodesic (the mass doesnt). As the curvature in time causes an acceleration in the spacial dimensions, the new accelerated velocities are still added on top of the initial velocity... hence the two objects follow different paths. The only way they would follow the same path is if they both had 0 initial spacial velocity, so their geodesic in spacetime consists of just their velocity in time, or if the object is thrown upwards. In that case they follow the same path in space, but not in spacetime.

I'm not sure if that properly answers your question. This is a difficult subject to visualize and understand intuitively.

This video might help... it shows how/why objects accelerate in a curved spacetime and why that looks like a force in Newtonian mechanics.

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting thoughts on why many published papers are wrong, and the importance of duplication and publication of results.

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another excellent video from Veritasium:

Loading Video...

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#646  Edited By Mortein  Online
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new planet around the same size as Earth has just been found orbiting our closes star, Proxima Centauri. The new planet is called Proxima b, and it's about 4 light years away from us.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/08/its-true-the-closest-star-to-the-sun-harbors-an-earth-sized-planet/

If we ever send out spaceships to explore other solar systems... this will likely be the first one. 4 light years is very close in astronomical terms, and having near Earth-sized planets opens the possibility for life.

Artists concept of new planet
Artists concept of new planet

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hurricane Hermine has made landfall in Florida, the first to do so in 11 years.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#650  Edited By willpayton