superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By superstay

@JediXMan:

1) Well you're some what correct, Tartarus is a prison inside of the underworld that houses the very dangerous or those who goes against the gods. It's like Hell....the Titans are down there

2) Correct & Prometheus was bound to a rock, where each day an eagle was sent to feed on his liver, only to have it grow back to be eaten again the next day.

3) Correct

4) Correct

5) Hephaestus the Greek god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy, fire and volcanoes.

dú¡ùb

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By superstay

@Rumble Man:

d?_?b

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By Rumble Man

@superstay:

badass flying monkey with flight invulnerability speed strength that predates superman by a couple of hundred years

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By superstay

@Rumble Man:

Asia

d^_^b

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Rumble Man

@superstay:

India (it predates wukong as well and gatotkaca in indonesia

man of steel before man of steel

even explicitly says that his muscles are made from steel

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediXMan said:

1. Land of the dead / underworld. Hades and Persephone.

2. Atlas is punished by holding the world / sky on his shoulders for eternity. Don't know the second one.

3. Invaded Troy with the Trojan Horse.

4. Epimetheus?

5. Don't know.

1. Wrong. Tartarus is below even the Underworld, and is the place where the Titans (and the sinned) are cast into. It is a Primordial Deity (one of the Protegnoi).

2. The sky, not the world. Atlas being portrayed as having the globe on his shoulders is always misleading.

Prometheus was punished by having his liver devoured every day, only for it to regenerate and be devoured again.

3 and 4 are correct.

5. I believe he is referring to Hephaestus, if he means literally, but Apollo and Poseidon have been stripped of their divine authority and made to serve King Laomedon of Troy.

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Have you got any good questions then?

Depends on how well-versed you are in Greek Mythology.

For example, what is Nyx's role in Greek Mythology?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ShootingNova

@superstay: Also, it is not "the" Tartarus, because Tartarus is as much an entity as a location (same with Gaia, Erebus, Oranos, and so on).

@lykopis: You seem to know much about Inuit mythology. I know nothing about Inuit mythology, LOL.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#109  Edited By lykopis

@ShootingNova:

Amazing stories to be found -- absurd, true -- and scary, but so cool because the ideas behind them are so imaginative. Like most myths. :)

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ShootingNova

@lykopis: Yeah. I might check it out some time later.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By superstay

@ShootingNova: Thanks, I didn't know it was an entity of it's own

@Rumble Man: India.....I knew it was Asia

dy.yb

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ShootingNova

@superstay: No problem, although I didn't receive a PM from your post.

Tartarus isn't a prison, either. Sometimes it is considered a pit or abyss, sometimes a void, and sometimes, it is considered a section of the Underworld (like Erebus, who is also sometimes considered the darkness between the Earth and the Underworld). In fact, Erebus and Tartarus are sometimes used interchangeably (but they are not one and the same).

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Rumble Man

@superstay: Gatotkaca is also in asia (Indonesia) but it originally came from india, however the superman iteration is in Indo

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By YoungJustice

Bast is da best! The sole reason why I love kittens.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ShootingNova

@YoungJustice said:

Bast is da best! The sole reason why I love kittens.

LOL. Well, as much as I'd like to, I can't say she's weak or anything, since she did kill Apophis.....

This thread is kind of getting more views than I expected. Good job .

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ShootingNova:Not sure I am not that well versed in Greek myth.I know a bit but not as much as you.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Rogan2112

My fiance is Wiccan and mainly follows the Egyptian and one of the Greek pantheon, so not sure these count as mythology to her. Since I'm Christian things can get pretty interesting in our household. Anyway, I've done several prints for her depicting Isis, Anubis, Bast (Bastet), Hecate, and a couple of others. I tried posting all of these as small versions so I'll try to post one. I'll try large first, then medium if it doesn't work.

Anubis-Egyptian God of the Underworld-weigher of souls
Anubis-Egyptian God of the Underworld-weigher of souls
superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By superstay

@ShootingNova: Yeah I aways thought of it as a abyss~ish pit that's somewhere inside of the underworld, separated from other parts oh the underworld like "Elysian Fields" and such. It's used as a prison which is why I referred to it as one

@Rumble Man: India is still Asia

dú¡ùb

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#119  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@ShootingNova said:

@JediXMan said:

1. Land of the dead / underworld. Hades and Persephone.

2. Atlas is punished by holding the world / sky on his shoulders for eternity. Don't know the second one.

3. Invaded Troy with the Trojan Horse.

4. Epimetheus?

5. Don't know.

1. Wrong. Tartarus is below even the Underworld, and is the place where the Titans (and the sinned) are cast into. It is a Primordial Deity (one of the Protegnoi).

2. The sky, not the world. Atlas being portrayed as having the globe on his shoulders is always misleading.

Prometheus was punished by having his liver devoured every day, only for it to regenerate and be devoured again.

3 and 4 are correct.

5. I believe he is referring to Hephaestus, if he means literally, but Apollo and Poseidon have been stripped of their divine authority and made to serve King Laomedon of Troy.

1. Yeah, superstay corrected me.

2. Ah, okay. I wasn't sure which was correct, so I mentioned both.

5. He meant Hephaestus.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By satyrgod
@ShootingNova: "Tartarus isn't a prison, either. Sometimes it is considered a pit or abyss, sometimes a void, and sometimes, it is considered a section of the Underworld (like Erebus, who is also sometimes considered the darkness between the Earth and the Underworld). In fact, Erebus and Tartarus are sometimes used interchangeably (but they are not one and the same)."

Although I know something about Classical Mythology, I have a harder time translating allegory.  What, then, are the implications of restraining the Titans in Tartarus?  Titans, being the destructive aspect of Nature, yes?  Transforming them to stone between Earth and elsewhere (a place that is not a place, perhaps)?  Or is my interpretation limited, or otherwise flawed?  Am I reading into this something that was not intended?

@Rogan2112
Fantastic Anubis.  Doesn't much resemble a jackal in the literal sense, but that is one (of the many of) the things I like about it.  Nice, clean lines, ferocious, displays personality.  I've been looking for a Danu/Gaea/Mother Goddess depiction but haven't found any to my liking.  You're obviously a professional artist, which I would respect.  Post something I like well enough, I'll PM you.
Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Rogan2112

@satyrgod: Yeaahh, doesn't look much like a jackal, but she described how SHE saw these gods/goddesses in very fine detail. I was very surprised and happy when she said I got them just right (however, this is the "non fiance" version with a few detail changes so that the originals are her's) I know she has a GREEAATT interest in Gaea it's very possible I'll get one done. However, next up is Horus..possibly Osiris...but pretty sure Horus.

Thank you much for the compliment

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By King_Saturn
all hail El Elyon  !
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ShootingNova

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Not sure I am not that well versed in Greek myth.I know a bit but not as much as you.

Okay.

@JediXMan: Okay.

@superstay said:

Yeah I aways thought of it as a abyss~ish pit that's somewhere inside of the underworld, separated from other parts oh the underworld like "Elysian Fields" and such. It's used as a prison which is why I referred to it as one

It is somewhat akin to a prison, but I wouldn't say it necessarily is a prison. It appears more like an infinite void, but there's other interpretations.

@satyrgod said:

Although I know something about Classical Mythology, I have a harder time translating allegory. What, then, are the implications of restraining the Titans in Tartarus? Titans, being the destructive aspect of Nature, yes? Transforming them to stone between Earth and elsewhere (a place that is not a place, perhaps)? Or is my interpretation limited, or otherwise flawed? Am I reading into this something that was not intended?

They were banished to Tartarus in most myths (and destroyed by Zeus in some myths where they killed Dionysus). I think why people tend to consider Tartarus a prison (they can, but it isn't a prison in physicality) is because Poseidon fixed gates of bronze upon Tartarus, and the fact that the Titans are trapped/banished in/to it. Let's just say that it may have served as a prison and not get much further than that.

In Orphism, Kronos is instead imprisoned in Nyx's cave for eternity. In the end, though, Zeus releases Kronos and makes him the King of Elysium (king of the Isle of the Blessed).

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By superstay

@ShootingNova:

I know it's not a prison in the look department but it holds the bad, dangerous sinners(So to speak) and punishes them, and enables them from escaping...with is what makes it like a prison.

Me personally, I alway thought it looked like a blackhole with flaming lava rimmings.

dó¡òb

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ShootingNova

@superstay: Well, it is sometimes considered a void, sometimes a dark, inferno region.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By superstay

@ShootingNova:

thats what I aways thought of it as, maybe I have a bad definition of a void.

Is a void like a blackhole

d?_?b

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#127  Edited By Aiden Cross

I used to be very much into Greek and Norse Mythology, nowadays it's more Aztek and Mayan :)

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ShootingNova

@superstay: A void is pretty much nothing. An empty space.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By superstay

@ShootingNova:

mmmm seems legit, lol

thoughts on Troy

d?_?b

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ShootingNova

@superstay: Exactly what about Troy? The Trojan War?

Another thing I feel should be mentioned is the comparison between Classical (which is Greeco-Roman) mythology and Norse mythology (or, in fact, other Germanic mythologies as well), not just as in Thor and Zeus, but in actual comparisons. Greeco-Roman mythology has gods which are much more powerful, but items in Norse mythology are far more bizarre, and, in a way, more powerful.

Examples include:

Draupnir, a ring that creates eight exact duplicates of itself every nine days.

Odin laid upon the pyre the gold ring called Draupnir; this quality attended it: that every ninth night there fell from it eight gold rings of equal weight.

-- Taken from Gylfaginning

Gleipnir, a chain as light as silk but stronger than any other chain, forged from six impossible things:

1. The sound of a cat's footfall.

2. The beard of a woman.

3. The roots of a mountain.

4. The sinew of a bear.

5. The breath of a fish.

6. The saliva of a bird.

Now, of course, in terms of flat out power, items like Mjolnir and Gungnir can't possibly hope to match Zeus's thunderbolts:

He then freed his father's brothers, whom Uranus had chained. In token of gratitude, they offered him thunder and lightning. Furnished with such weapons, Zeus can thenceforth command "both mortals and immortals" (Theog. 493-506).

-- Taken from A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1

[253] And now his thunder bolts would Jove wide scatter, but he feared the flames, unnumbered, sacred ether might ignite and burn the axle of the universe: and he remembered in the scroll of fate, there is a time appointed when the sea and earth and Heavens shall melt, and fire destroy the universe of mighty labour wrought. Such weapons by the skill of Cyclops forged, for different punishment he laid aside—for straightway he preferred to overwhelm the mortal race beneath deep waves and storms from every raining sky.

-- Taken from Metmorhoses Book 1

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By superstay

@ShootingNova:

Yeah the war (I don't know why I didn't get more detailed)

Side question: Is Troy (The film) accurate

dô¡õb

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By ShootingNova

@superstay: Hmm... I'll post a detailed post later, if I can.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By satyrgod

What was that horrid movie with Brad Pitt pretending he could act that turned the story of Alexander the Great into a sappy love story but totally left out his homosexual partner?  Yeah, that was historically accurate.   Was that unremarkable Hollywood formula clone Troy?

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By satyrgod
@ShootingNova: @satyrgod said:
Although I know something about Classical Mythology, I have a harder time translating allegory. What, then, are the implications of restraining the Titans in Tartarus? Titans, being the destructive aspect of Nature, yes? Transforming them to stone between Earth and elsewhere (a place that is not a place, perhaps)? Or is my interpretation limited, or otherwise flawed? Am I reading into this something that was not intended?

"They were banished to Tartarus in most myths (and destroyed by Zeus in some myths where they killed Dionysus). I think why people tend to consider Tartarus a prison (they can, but it isn't a prison in physicality) is because Poseidon fixed gates of bronze upon Tartarus, and the fact that the Titans are trapped/banished in/to it. Let's just say that it may have served as a prison and not get much further than that."

Yes, but what are these myths conveying?  Nurturing aspect of Nature subduing the destructive; or is there more to it?  What is the significance of the Sky-Father maiming Time using an indestructible blade fashioned by Nature; constraining Time in stone cast into the non-place between reality; to overcome the tyranny of Time and rule in his place.  There seems to be something here I'm not quite seeing...

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ShootingNova

@satyrgod: Actually, originally, the god of time (and eternity) was Chronos, while the god of eternity (in the form of infinity) was Aion (Chronos represented empirical time - past/present/future). Kronos came to be conflated with Chronos, hence why Father Time is now portrayed with a sickle or scythe.

It depends on how you interpret the mythology, and which version of Greek mythology (ie. Hesiod's myth, Homer's myth, Pelasgian myth, or Orphism). One thing tends to be common, Kronos (usually, but not always) overthrows Oranos, and Zeus dethrones and displaces Kronos in turn. Both scenarios are the younger child overthrowing his father, using paternal atrocities as their grounds for doing so.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By MonsterStomp

Egyptian Mythology all day baby.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

C'mon guys. This thread is cool too.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Trolling gods since 9001 B.C

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#139  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

only really explored norse mythology and a little greek

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by Akindoodle (5 posts)

I saw your posts on the Mythology thread and you struck me as someone rather savvy of how Myths and characters can be interpreted in real life. I'm a very new user and so the number of posts I'm allowed is limited but it's such an interesting topic, so perhaps you could quote me and post your answers on the Mythology thread so others can add to the conversation. I'll join in publicly as soon as I'm allowed. If you agree, thanks in advance

I wanted to discuss the ethical inclinations(?) and perhaps philosophies or personalities of Ancient Greek heroes. For example, someone like Heracles (I want to use his Greek name) is considered a hero even to this day but when you read the actual stories, he wasn't a particularly nice or responsible person. I despised Achilles in the film Troy but his story in the Illiad and his motivations make him seem more of a romantic (especially Briseis and the nicer version of the fight with Penthesilea) than philanderer. I don't really know what I'm getting at here but it could be interesting so, discuss...

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you guys think of these pictures?
It's Zeus, Ra, Odin & Ganesh.

No Caption Provided

Anubis & others

No Caption Provided
superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By superstay

@xlab3000:

Those are awesome...

The last pic is Anubis, Zeus, Thor, Athena, and...I don't know the last one.

Here's some more...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

d^_^b

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL. I remember this thread.

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite mythologies are Greek,Norse and Egyptian.

I have a question, is Fenrir a Norse God because they said that Fenrir killed Odin

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By ShootingNova
marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By marvelelite09
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#148  Edited By PowerHerc

The greatest hero from all of mythology is Hercules!

No Caption Provided

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova:

Hey bro...long time, no see

I have a question...I read once that Greek myth is copied from Egyptian myth. What are your thoughts on that?

d?_?b

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By ShootingNova

@superstay: Not entirely. Greek mythology does have some Egyptian roots, but there are others. For example, Poseidon has a Lydian origin. Various gods such as Zeus are borrowed from Indo-European myth.

And yeah, long time no see.