TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

I promised myself that in 2016 I'd try to watch as many movies as I could and get out of my comfort zone. Although I'm a movie fan, I hardly used to experiment & watch things outside of my comfort area in cinemas and thought that with The Revenant around the corner, I thought it'd be a great start as being the first 2016 movie that I watch. If you live in a place where The Revenant came out in 2015, good for you, but here it released in 2016. What really persuaded me to see this film? Leonardo DiCaprio as a great actor, Tom Hardy is stellar in any movie that you does, and with Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu behind the camera, you could expect a technically brilliant film following Birdman. This year looks like a promising year for movies, so I thought the Revenant might by a good place to start with all the praise that I heard of the movie. Not as much praise as Birdman, but it looked like something I would like more than Birdman (which I liked, but didn't love past the technical aspects). Now that I've watched The Revenant, I can confidently say it's a fantastic film and was a great way to start off the year.

What you should know is that this movie isn't for everyone. I mean it in a sense that this movie really isn't for everyone. I don't mean that as in sci-fi film, or drama film etc. but this movie is made in a way that I can see it now appeasing a lot of people. Hence why it's rated lesser than Birdman. Where this movie really shines are the technical aspects. The cinematography is the best. Somehow following the technical achievements in Birdman, Alejandro managed to follow and top it off with a film that's been polished in all areas of cinematography. Be it close up shots of characters, or shots of the landscape, The Revenant is a contender for one of the best shot films of the decade, if not THE best. Although most credit belongs to Emmanuel Lubezki, who is truly a hard man to beat. Although one-shots are not as prominent as they are in Birdman, which was made to look like it was shot in a single take (good job, Emmanuel. Good job), the one shot scenes that are here are amazing and add an unprecedented layer of immersion. There isn't as much action in the film as I was hoping for, but the action that is in the film is incredibly layered, I was actually in awe at how they managed to create some of the shots.

But The Revenant would not be such a masterclass in film making if it wasn't for the talent on screen, who I think did an equal amount in bringing this film to life as much as the off-screen people did. I will stop here and praise Leonardo DiCaprio, the main character of the movie, "Hugh Glass." Leonardo DiCaprio has joined the ranks of Daniel Day Lewis as an actor that completely loses himself in the character in an attempt to turn in the best performance possible. It's been said that DiCaprio had to eat raw meats and sleep in an animal carcass in real life to bring this character to the world of The Revenant, and it certainly paid off. Leonardo is now being nominated for an Academy Award (again). I would love for the man to receive an Oscar because of how amazing he is in the film, but with The Danish Girl's Eddie Redmayne also being nominated, it makes it somewhat unlikely. But DiCaprio was able to portray so much - hunger, greed, desperation, gentleness, aggressiveness - by saying so little. Also starring alongside Leonardo DiCaprio is Tom Hardy as Fitzgerald, the antagonist of the film. Tom Hardy is also being nominated for an Academy Award for his role in this film, and it's easy to see why. He draws you into every single scene. I can see him ending up in my Top 5 or so antagonists, even by the end of the year. The rest of the cast were stellar too. Domhnall Gleeson stars in his 50th successful motion picture of this year and is great in every scene he is. The actors who played Hawk, and Jim also sold their characters.

It's been said by Tom Hardy that he doesn't think Fitzgerald is really a villain. And if Hugh Glass were in Fitzgerald's position, he also would've acted similarly and made the same decisions. I agree with this in that Fitzgerald is like a fleshed out, supporting character instead of a villain who ties the woman up in a train track and twirls his mustache. Hugh Glass is also a sympathetic character. Forest Goodluck's Hawk, Glass's son, was also a pleasant character that I loved every moment with. He was a loving son that truly cares for his father and this shows in his moment to moment actions. "Captain Andrew Henry" could've been a one dimensional character, but Gleeson breathed enough life into him for us to care.

As I mentioned earlier, this movie isn't for everything. This movie is a harsh, uncompromising experience with graphic physical violence. I wasn't as taken aback by the violence as, say, the early screeners that exited the movie midway, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't a handful of moments that made me cringe. The bear attack in particular was impeccable. I won't spoil what exactly goes down in the struggle, but let's just say it was unsettling to watch unfold. All of the action sequences in this film are masterful in choreography and keep you at the edge of your seat. A lot of them pan out in ways that were unexpected. It helps that all the characters in action themselves looked amazing.

Regardless of this, The Revenant is held back from being a complete masterpiece of film making. While Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu demonstrates a strong grip on the film making craft, he somewhat let me down in the storytelling aspects: which are both it's strength and it's weakness. The Revenant is a slow paced film and you spend a bulk of the film watching scenes like Hugh Glass dragging himself through the ground and pushing his way through the forests. Watching this for an extended period of time makes the movie a brutal, harrowing experience and helps you resonate with the character, but it makes the film more accomplished than entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching a human simply struggling as a plot, but they really sacrificed fundamental great storytelling, and because of this in made the final 15 minutes or so rushed. Add to that, there was a small 7+ or so minutes of the story that seemed to be there to set up something tiny later on the film instead of being an enticing part of the movie on it's own. Another thing that bothered me was that this movie suffered from unnecessary flashback scenes. I'm not against flashback sequences, but in this movie they felt trop-y and didn't add to the characters. In short, they were mindnumbingly boring to watch, but they were few in amounts.

All in all, I thought The Revenant was a fantastic film that is by far my favorite of 2016. Even if it falters in the story department, it is still a visual masterpiece that is brilliantly acted that showed that not only are the sequence of events in a film important, but also in their execution. It certainly isn't a film for everyone - it is often slow and brutal, but for the right audience that appreciate the film making craft, you'll love it. I can see someone more imbued by the art of film making instead of writing will be totally in love with this movie, but if you're a person that watches movies mostly for the writing and story department, you might be dissapointed. It is not a perfect movie, occasionally boring, but what it accomplished, which was a LOT, far outweighed the bad.

Score: 9/10

• + Performances, especially Hardy and DiCaprio
  • + Visual masterpiece w/ breath taking scenery
  • + Great action sequences
  • + Unprecedented, bold film making
  • - Repetitive, occasionally dull plot

There you have it. What did you think of the Revenent? Did you like it? Did you not like it? Do you agree with my score? How would you rate the movie? Did this review persuade you to watch it if you haven't already? Please comment below, and follow for more reviews. Thank you for reading.

- TAS

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Nite_Nite

No disrespect dawg but it's early. I almost fell asleep and had to stop reading that. It was almost as bad as reading Hal Jordan centered stories.

You should review v/h/s horror series. Watch them at night though.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No disrespect dawg but it's early. I almost fell asleep and had to stop reading that. It was almost as bad as reading Hal Jordan centered stories.

You should review v/h/s horror series. Watch them at night though.

Is it something wrong with my blog or are you just sleepy?

- TAS

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By RoboShark

Great movie.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great movie.

Who do you think gave a better performance: Leo or Tom Hardy.

- TAS

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Great review. I look forward to seeing this at some point!

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review. I look forward to seeing this at some point!

Thank you!

- TAS

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Loved this movie, it was raw and unflinching.

Liked it much more than Birdman, which I've now to see as kind of obnoxious.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this movie, it was raw and unflinching.

Liked it much more than Birdman, which I've now to see as kind of obnoxious.

I actually am not a big fan of Birdman. Just as I said, I liked it but didn't love it. Thought it was technically great but overwritten. It's also not something I would watch more than once.

- TAS

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

I should check this out soon.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Saw it Xmas day since I have the benefit of being in a city with a Sundance theater. It was awesome

Saw it again yesterdsy at the regular main stream theater still awesome

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw it Xmas day since I have the benefit of being in a city with a Sundance theater. It was awesome

Saw it again yesterdsy at the regular main stream theater still awesome

Sweet. Did you appreciate it more second time around?

@theamazingspidey said:
@rocketraccoonthingy said:

I should check this out soon.

That's my minion.

- TAS

Puh-lease.

Don't back talk.

- TAS

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@theamazingspidey: yeah. It's sort of weird to say but the dialogue in this movie is almost a distraction. The movie is simply so beautiful it's impossible to take in while trying to follow along to the characters and sotry

When it comes out on DVD I think you will be able to fully appreciate it by muting it and just watching

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this review have spoilers? I don't want to look incase

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: yeah. It's sort of weird to say but the dialogue in this movie is almost a distraction. The movie is simply so beautiful it's impossible to take in while trying to follow along to the characters and sotry

When it comes out on DVD I think you will be able to fully appreciate it by muting it and just watching

I can't wait for this to come out on DVD. I'll watch it a ton of times and look for certain things on each viewing.

Does this review have spoilers? I don't want to look incase

Hm... that depends. If you've already watched all the trailers and read all the news that came out about the movie, then no, there are no spoilers. But if you haven't watched the trailers, then yes there are spoilers.

I'll be totally, truly honest with you. If you're still in the dark about what this movie is about, who is the villain etc. don't read it :)

- TAS

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@roboshark said:

Great movie.

- TAS

Leo.

I gotta give credit to Leo too. While Tom Hardy was amazing and sold me in character acting, Leonardo Dicaprio's physical acting was incredible and committed.

- TAS

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Fantastic film and fantastic review!

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic film and fantastic review!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed (the film and the review) and it's pleasing to hear praise from an active, regular viner like you.

- TAS

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Reno117

Still I expected even more to be honest..
Watched the movie twice..

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reno117 said:

It was still a fantastic film. How would you rate it?

- TAS

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Leo doesn't win an oscar for this film, he's not gonna win an oscar.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Leo doesn't win an oscar for this film, he's not gonna win an oscar.

I agree. The physical acting in this film deserves him an Oscar.

How awesome would it be if both Tom Hardy and Leo won an Oscar in their respective categories?

- TAS

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Just_Banter

@theamazingspidey: It would be pretty awesome. But I feel like Tom will be hard pressed to win up against Stallone. He gave the performance of his life in Creed.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@theamazingspidey: It would be pretty awesome. But I feel like Tom will be hard pressed to win up against Stallone. He gave the performance of his life in Creed.

That's what's making me fearful: Stallone. He was great in Creed and everyone loved him. Besides, I can see the academy preferring Stallone's performance. But I thought Tom Hardy was also great and I prefer him (personal preference) so I would like him to win an Oscar, even if it's unlikely. Hell, Leonardo winning best actor is also unlikely with The Danish Girl AND Michael Fassbender in the equation.

- TAS

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Reno117

@reno117 said:

- TAS

First things first, your review is fantastic, well done for your effort!

Now, I would rate it a 7,5. Don't get me wrong.. the acting was awesome, the costum design, the cinematography and the picture as well.. but the music.. I didn't personally like it, neither the action.. I loved the final fight but still.. Hardy killed his son for God' sake, I expected a brutal kill. I also was expecting more chasing and more epic orchestral music.

Just my opinion though..

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reno117 said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@reno117 said:

- TAS

Now, I would rate it a 7,5. Don't get me wrong.. the acting was awesome, the costum design, the cinematography and the picture as well.. but the music.. I didn't personally like it, neither the action.. I loved the final fight but still.. Hardy killed his son for God' sake, I expected a brutal kill. I also was expecting more chasing and more epic orchestral music.

Just my opinion though..

Why thank you <3 I appreciate it.

I didn't love the music either.

Do you mind if I try and defend what you didn't like about it?

I get why you wanted a brutal fight. I mean, I wanted Hugh to break out crying when he found his son dead but sometimes subtly is better than brutality. I mean, there were a lot of moments in the Revenant that I would've expected to be loud w/ bombastic music playing in the back ground, when the scenes played out much subtler with a beautiful quietness that allows you to interpret the scene for yourself. Maybe I'm not getting my point across in the best way possible, but think the bear attack. There is no music in that scene. And because of that, it feels very raw. I like subtler action sequencers because they're more raw.

- TAS

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why thank you <3 I appreciate it.

:')

I didn't love the music either.

Do you mind if I try and defend what you didn't like about it?

Obviously no..

I get why you wanted a brutal fight. I mean, I wanted Hugh to break out crying when he found his son dead but sometimes subtly is better than brutality. I mean, there were a lot of moments in the Revenant that I would've expected to be loud w/ bombastic music playing in the back ground, when the scenes played out much subtler with a beautiful quietness that allows you to interpret the scene for yourself. Maybe I'm not getting my point across in the best way possible, but think the bear attack. There is no music in that scene. And because of that, it feels very raw. I like subtler action sequencers because they're more raw.

- TAS

Sometimes subtly it is better than brutality, I totally agree. " loud w/ bombastic music playing in the back ground " Couldn't have said it better, exatcly that is what I was waiting for. Yeah I completely agree and you the point right about the bear scene attack, it was maybe the best scene in the movie because of that reason. Where I want to conclude is that half the movie was DiCaprio walking around.. in that way, I would place DiCaprio running or trying to chase something or someone.
Summary.. I expected a bit of a better plot and a bit of a better music to fit in.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roboshark said:

Great movie.

- TAS

Tom Hardy was a scene-stealer through the entire movie. I'd give it to him.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reno117 said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@reno117 said:

- TAS

Just my opinion though..

The fact that he didn't kill Fitzgerald was sorta the whole point.

I thought it was fitting that he left it up to the Native Americans.

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120 said:
@reno117 said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@reno117 said:

- TAS

Just my opinion though..

The fact that he didn't kill Fitzgerald was sorta the whole point.

I thought it was fitting that he left it up to the Native Americans.

Was sorta the whole point, due to plot.. I mentioned that above.. change of plot and after that, decapitation of Fitzgerald.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Nice

~MiB

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie of the year

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good review, certainly one of the better movie for 2015.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jonez120: Hardy's character is the best villain I've seen in a movie in years.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie of the year

@the_kidd said:

Good review, certainly one of the better movie for 2015.

In what country do you live in? It came out in 2016 in most places...

@jonez120: Hardy's character is the best villain I've seen in a movie in years.

I agree he's one of the finest.

- TAS

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I watched the leaked copy but I could of sworn it was released on Christmas Day.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

@theamazingspidey: I watched the leaked copy but I could of sworn it was released on Christmas Day.

There was a limited release in Christmas 2015, but it didn't come out officially till 2016.

- TAS