TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

Moonlight is directed by Barry Jenkins and stars Mahershala Ali, Trevante Rhodes, Naomie Harris, André Holland, Ashton Sanders and Alex R. Hibbert. It's a coming of age story about all the oscar things, like a young, black, gay guy living in poverty, which could make the film sound like Oscar bait. This came out in November last year, but living in Australia, I just got the chance to see Moonlight. In a lot of these cases when you watch a movie after you've heard everyone hyping it to be a classic, you can be let down by unrealistic expectations. So I went into this movie trying to watch it through my lens, seeing what this movie means to me and I was blown away.

Since this movie's been out months in America, I'll be a bit comfortable taking about the movie, but if you haven't already seen it, I don't want to deter you by spoiling the movie, so I will say Moonlight is a fantastic coming of age story about a black man called Chiron who grows up in a rough neighbourhood. At a young age, he meets this guy called Juan, played by Mahershala Ali (Cottonmouth in Luke Cage), who becomes somewhat of a father figure to Chiron. We follow Sharon through three chapters of his life in a story of family, friendship, love and above all... identity.

The movie started out just fine, but there's a specific moment in the movie where Mahershala Ali's character is in the water with Chiron, and the music swells, the lively, beautiful cinematography shines and the dialogue and the performances are just on point: everything came together and it was at that moment, a moment of empathy, when I thought to myself yep... this movie is going to be special, and by god, it was.

No Caption Provided

The performances, the cinematography, the writing, the story: this movie is a vision, an uncomprimised, fully realised vision. This is a story I've never seen before in cinema. I'm not exaggerating. We've seen coming of age stories before, but the lives of which Moonlight examines is one rarely ever seen in cinema. I'm sure there's a movie out there which has explored the life of a gay, black male but Moonlight is so much more than that. This is a movie about universal themes such as empathy, identity, intimacy, the little moments in life. This movie can increase your empathy. I love the director's choice to focus the camera on little, mundane aspects of life which I was actually talking to a friend about the other day. It went hand in hand with the themes of the movie.

Each of the three actors portraying Chiron? Fantastic, each of them complimented each other. Mahershala Ali? I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest if he won the academy award for best supporting actor. I know the Academy doesn't mean everything, but if anyone deserves it, it's him. He sells the shit out of every aspect this role demands of him. Seriously, if you liked him in Luke Cage, please witness his performance in this movie. Don't expect any Oscar moment from him where he's screaming his heart out to the Academy to give him an Oscar, but his portrayal of emotions is so nuanced and understated. Naomie Harris also did a good job as Chiron's mother.

No Caption Provided

This movie gets under your skin and makes you feel emotions I've yet to feel from any other movie before this one. It's a movie about nature vs. nurture. Will you be true to yourself and your identity, or will you be a product of your environment? It manages to be bitter, and sweet. The exchanges which occur in the last 25 minutes of the movie I know won't leave me days from now. The characters in this movie just feel so real, and tangible. I mean, you watch a movie like The Dark Knight, which is a fantastic blockbuster, one of my favourite films, but the characters still feel like characters. They're well written yeah, but none of them feel as real and authentic as the characters here.

I have a few problems with this movie but they're honestly all nitpicks. The characters in the first half occasionally looked blurry as a result of the colour grade and contrast of the movie, but this flaw was gone by the second half of the movie, with the cinematography more often looking gorgeous than not, and there is another scene where 1/2 a dozen people are kicking this guy whose on the ground, and the camera was obviously doing maneuvers and finding obstacles to avoid showing us the guy actually being kicked.

Otherwise, Moonlight is a near perfect movie. It's the most original movie I've seen in a while. It's affecting, it's empathetic, it's beautiful, it's bittersweet and it's fantastic from a technical standpoint with beautiful camerawork and gripping, nuanced performances, and from a story standpoint, with a one of a kind script.

I'm rating Moonlight a:

Score: 5.2/10.

Hopefully you've already seen Moonlight and I don't need to tell you to go watch it. If you haven't, do yourself a favour and go see this movie.

Thanks for reading.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 109

Nice review as usual, out of curiosity who do you favour winning best picture?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

Thanks. That's a good question. I've yet to see Fences, Hidden Figures or Lion, but I favour La La Land winning.

Last year was a pretty big disappointment, I think. The Academy went with the safe choice by awarding Spotlight and I hope they don't do it again.

Do you favour any in particular?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

*9.2*

Aight laters.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

*9.2*

Aight laters.

The Saint Wildcard Effect?

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@black_wreath said:

Thanks. That's a good question. I've yet to see Fences, Hidden Figures or Lion, but I favour La La Land winning.

Last year was a pretty big disappointment, I think. The Academy went with the safe choice by awarding Spotlight and I hope they don't do it again.

I found Spotlight to be kinda disappointing. Room or Mad Max: Fury should've won imo.

I've only seen Hell or High Water, not to be presumptuous but I can't imagine liking the other nominees as much.

For the record, when I say who do you favour I mean who do you want to win. We all know La La Land is winning, the academy have made it abundantly clear they think it's the best movie by giving it a stupid number of nominations...

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@black_wreath said:

I found Spotlight to be kinda disappointing. Room or Mad Max: Fury should've won imo.

I've only seen Hell or High Water, not to be presumptuous but I can't imagine liking the other nominees as much.

For the record, when I say who do you favour I mean who do you want to win. We all know La La Land is winning, the academy have made it abundantly clear they think it's the best movie by giving it a stupid number of nominations...

Yeah, Spotlight was solidly acted and crafted, but I think we should award best picture to the one which takes most advantage of film as a medium. It's why I don't want Hell or High Water or Manchester By The Sea to win. They're good, but I was disappointed in the way they both felt like scripts being filmed as opposed to the director using the camera and the tools to do anything interesting from a filmmaking aspect. Room and Mad Max: Fury Road were miles better than Spotlight.

Yeah, I know. I want La La Land to win and I think it will win, heh. I wish they would've nominated The Nice Guys though. I know it isn't an Academy-type film, but it's no less deserving of a nom then Fences, which was essentially Denzel deciding to film a play.

If Hacksaw Ridge wins, I'll still be fine. Gibson and Garfield made a kickass movie. The only reason I don't want Moonlight to win is because I don't feel like hearing my conservative dad complain about more shit xD.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: How would Moonlight compare to Boyhood?

Moonlight is much better. Boyhood was a good idea, but it was used on a boring, padding concept that was never anything more than fascinating.

@theamazingspidey: Yeesh, conservative dad. I'm sorry, I guess?

I still love him to death, but, ergh... yeah, thanks.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Moonlight honestly did nothing for me.

I didn't hate it, or think it was boring. I just felt nothing when it ended.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moonlight honestly did nothing for me.

I didn't hate it, or think it was boring. I just felt nothing when it ended.

That's 'iight, man.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update: me giving it a 9.2/10 was a mistake. I meant 5.2/10. This is not a joke.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I was pulling for either La La Land, or Fences. I would've even been fine with Hidden Figures, or Hell or High Water.

Good for Moonlight, I guess.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Update: me giving it a 9.2/10 was a mistake. I meant 5.2/10. This is not a joke.

lmao saltly. I was confused why it 5.2/10. Then I realized you just mad because of what happened at Oscars.

~MiB

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@llehdevil: I'm sure the demotion is due to La La Land being robbed of the Oscar.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Petty....
Petty....

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Come on bro..Thats just savage for no reason..lol

No Caption Provided

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@theamazingspidey said:

Petty....
Petty....

You know what else is Petty?

ROBBING THE AWARD FROM SOMEONE'S HAND. LITERALLY.

AFTER THEY THANKED THEIR WIVES AND FAMILY.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Billy Batson

Well done La La Land however

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

BB

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well done La La Land however

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

BB

Not true. It was a sour win even for the guys at Moonlight.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By SaintWildcard

I was gonna see La La Land, but because Moonlight won, I guess I'll go see that. I only back winners. #SecondPlaceIsFirstLoser

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna see La La Land, but because Moonlight won, I guess I'll go see that. I only back winners

You're joking, right?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@saintwildcard said:

I was gonna see La La Land, but because Moonlight won, I guess I'll go see that. I only back winners

You're joking, right?

LMAOOOOO!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By SaintWildcard

@theamazingspidey said:
@saintwildcard said:

You're joking, right?

Second place is first loser

Ricky Bobby
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, come on TAS. La La Land was still a fine movie. So was Moonlight. Just because it won a award doesn't make it better than the other.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heh, come on TAS. La La Land was still a fine movie. So was Moonlight. Just because it won a award doesn't make it better than the other.

Yes it does. LMAO!

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@saintwildcard said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@saintwildcard said:

You're joking, right?

Second place is first loser

Ricky Bobby

I hope you don't waste your money on watching a movie just because the same awards show which gave Crash best motion picture voted it >_>

You need a wife to make decisions for you. If you had one, she'd tell you to watch La la land.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@soldierofel said:

I was in a state of euphoria after watching Moonlight, but I can no longer live in the beautiful lie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: So you're stuck in some sort of BVS beautiful lie thingy? But seriously, it doesn't matter. You like La La Land and think it's awards worthy and that's fine. It's already won tons of awards. Oscars aren't anything special.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: So you're stuck in some sort of BVS beautiful lie thingy? But seriously, it doesn't matter. You like La La Land and think it's awards worthy and that's fine. It's already won tons of awards. Oscars aren't anything special.

Stop telling me how to feel sniffs.

My told me I was special and I turned out to be good at nothing. Zack Snyder promised to deliver on a fight between BvS and he didn't. The oscars told me La La Land won. AND IT DIDN'T.

MRW I don't care what anyone tells me anymore...
MRW I don't care what anyone tells me anymore...

You don't get it. No one gets it. Picture a director makes your favourite movie of all time and he doesn't win an Oscar for it. Then he follows it up with another kino, and for months you're like "yup, that's it. This is the one which will win him a well deserved Oscar for best motion picture." You sit down. You're amped after months of waiting. They announce this movie won. You jump off your seat. And then...

... Oh, no. Sorry, we read the wrong name.

YOU EXPECT ME TO ENJOY THE OPPOSING FILM? spits

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The read the wrong card, bruh. It was Emma Stone's Best Actress card for La La Land that they read. Moonlight was supposed win, and they held up the card to show everyone. Nobody got robbed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I have so many gifs to post in response to that but I'm on mobile. Lol Anyway, you don't have to enjoy the other movie. But like, relax dude. Also I'd like to post the beautiful lie soundtrack right now. It seems apt.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@static_shock said:
@theamazingspidey said:

The read the wrong card, bruh. It was Emma Stone's Best Actress card for La La Land that they read. Moonlight was supposed win, and they held up the card to show everyone. Nobody got robbed.

Yes they did. Those LLL guys were holding the award and thanking they families and they just rob it from them! Then they blame it on the old man. Poor guy.

Earlier on in the show, Kimmel joked about them discriminating against age but in retrospect it doesn't sound like a joke.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not watching La La Land or Moonlight any time soon.

#dontbelievethehype

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_: I'm not. I'm already not a fan of musicals. But I'll get around to it eventually.

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So was Moonlight good or not?? ??

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers