Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WindCloud

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
The most powerful cat  VS.  a fully grown, 10 ft. tall, walking nightmare.  Who wins ?
vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By vuviper

Setting is important here

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cracks

Hen hao de wenti! Wo bu zhi dao!

WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WindCloud
@vuviper said:
" Setting is important here "
Open, grassy plains, in the middle of a forest.  Head to head confrontation.  Nothing to hide behind.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WindCloud
@cracks said:
" Hen hao de wenti! Wo bu zhi dao! "
Take a educated guess then.
vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vuviper

Grizzly will try to use it's size to intimidate the Tiger, standing on its hind legs, also allowing it to crush a rushing Tiger. Grizzlys are used to being feared, even by the bigger polar bears. A siberian tiger has encountered smaller bears before and preys on them. He would either wait till the grizzly misses or right when the Grizzly stands up to attack it's most vulnerable spots, biting onto its neck and clawing its face

The Bear also doesn't have a size advantage here

sevennames27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sevennames27

Grizzly Bear wins unless the Siberian Tiger gets backed into a corner, then who knows.    

Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Count Bleck

Which type of brown bear?  Coastal brown bears tend to grow quite large and almost universally exceed 1,000 pounds.   More inland bears are only 1/2-2/3rds that big on average.   A Coastal Kodiak Brown bear would slaughter any cat to have ever lived, even giant felines such as Smilodon populator, The American lion, would be killed by a modern Kodiak brown bear.  Now a more inland bear can still kill a one ton moose with one blow to the head, a hit a tiger wouldn't survive, but the tiger would have better chances.   It would still lose a good majority of the time.  

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vuviper
@Count Bleck: Grizzly
Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Count Bleck
@vuviper said:
" @Count Bleck: Grizzly "
Yellowstone grizzly? Kodiak Island Grizzly?  Be more specific.
vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vuviper
@Count Bleck: Do you think it'll make a difference which kind? If so you could explain why

Grizzly's never have to face an opponent as powerful as the Siberian Tiger. They compete with Grey Wolves and cougars and occasionally eat a black bears

Siberian Tigers regularly prey on bears roughly the size of a Grizzly
Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Count Bleck
@vuviper said:
" @Count Bleck: Do you think it'll make a difference which kind? If so you could explain why  Grizzly's never have to face an opponent as powerful as the Siberian Tiger. They compete with Grey Wolves and cougars and occasionally eat a black bears  Siberian Tigers regularly prey on bears roughly the size of a Grizzly "
A kodiak island grizzly can weigh about a ton.  A grizzly only 2/5ths that size can kill a one ton moose with one blow.  A tiger hit by that would die instantly.
Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Count Bleck

Also, Grizzly bears compete with wolverines, some really far north ones occasionally meet polar bears.  They deal with mountain lions, and in the past they'd deal with American lions, who are nearly %20 bigger than Siberian tigers, they'd deal with their larger Giant Short Faced bear cousins, they'd deal with the american cheetah, which is really just a Puma better built for running, They clashed with Smilodons, and some even had to deal with terror birds.

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Lance Uppercut

Animal Planet said the bear would win. Cable's never lied to me before right? -stares at Bill O'Reilly- Oh yeah....

capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By capall
@vuviper said:
"Grizzly will try to use it's size to intimidate the Tiger, standing on its hind legs, also allowing it to crush a rushing Tiger. Grizzlys are used to being feared, even by the bigger polar bears. A siberian tiger has encountered smaller bears before and preys on them. He would either wait till the grizzly misses or right when the Grizzly stands up to attack it's most vulnerable spots, biting onto its neck and clawing its face  The Bear also doesn't have a size advantage here "

siberian tiger doesn't have any chance of winning against a grizzly bear
the bear does have a size advantage also 
the bear's neck is so thick with fat and fur that the tiger is not able to penetrate it
the bear has enough power to crush the tiger's back or skull easily not to mention it's more intelligent than the cat
in the wild siberian tiger may attack a cub or a much smaller brown bear but in most cases the tiger would walk the other way knowing that the mother bear is around, also in the wild much smaller asian black bears will attack a tiger to steal it's kill since they are also scavangers, a grizzly also has claws that are adapted for digging and chomping down trees and barks and it's so poweful that it rips the tree trunks
Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Bio Guyver
@Lance Uppercut said:
" Animal Planet said the bear would win. Cable's never lied to me before right? -stares at Bill O'Reilly- Oh yeah.... "
LOL
Ziro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ziro

The bear.

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vuviper
@capall: Just went with this
 The largest populations are found in coastal areas where weights are typically 500-750 lbs (225–340 kg). 

you guys are probably right though i was just guessin based of wiki
Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Count Bleck
@vuviper said:
" @capall: Just went with this  The largest populations are found in coastal areas where weights are typically 500-750 lbs (225–340 kg).   you guys are probably right though i was just guessin based of wiki "
Kodiaks are a bit bigger than that. 
vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vuviper

Interesting

Asian Black Bears and Ussuri Brown Bears constitute 5-8% of the Siberian tiger's diet. In particular, the brown bear's input is estimated to be 1-1.5%. Certain tigers have been reported to imitate the calls of Asiatic black bears to attract them. Brown bears are typically attacked by tigers more often than black bears, due to their habit of living in more open areas and their inability to climb trees. When hunting bears, tigers will position themselves from the leeward side of a rock or fallen tree, waiting for the bear to pass by. When the bear passes, the tiger will spring from an overhead position and grab the bear from under the chin with one forepaw and the throat with the other. The immobilised bear is then killed with a bite to the spinal column. After killing a bear, the tiger will concentrate its feeding on the bear's fat deposits, such as the back, hams and groin. Tiger attacks on bears tend to occur when ungulate populations decrease. While tigers can successfully hunt bears, there are also records of brown bears killing tigers, either in disputes over prey or in self defense. There have been observations of both bears that changed their path after coming across tiger trails, and of bears following tiger tracks with no signs of fear and sleeping in the same den. However, despite the possibility of tiger predation, some brown bears actually benefit from the tiger's presence by appropriating tiger kills that the bears may not be able to successfully hunt themselves, as they usually dominate these disputes over kills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger#Interspecific_predatory_relationships
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By capall
@vuviper said:
"Interesting

Asian Black Bears and Ussuri Brown Bears constitute 5-8% of the Siberian tiger's diet. In particular, the brown bear's input is estimated to be 1-1.5%. Certain tigers have been reported to imitate the calls of Asiatic black bears to attract them. Brown bears are typically attacked by tigers more often than black bears, due to their habit of living in more open areas and their inability to climb trees. When hunting bears, tigers will position themselves from the leeward side of a rock or fallen tree, waiting for the bear to pass by. When the bear passes, the tiger will spring from an overhead position and grab the bear from under the chin with one forepaw and the throat with the other. The immobilised bear is then killed with a bite to the spinal column. After killing a bear, the tiger will concentrate its feeding on the bear's fat deposits, such as the back, hams and groin. Tiger attacks on bears tend to occur when ungulate populations decrease. While tigers can successfully hunt bears, there are also records of brown bears killing tigers, either in disputes over prey or in self defense. There have been observations of both bears that changed their path after coming across tiger trails, and of bears following tiger tracks with no signs of fear and sleeping in the same den. However, despite the possibility of tiger predation, some brown bears actually benefit from the tiger's presence by appropriating tiger kills that the bears may not be able to successfully hunt themselves, as they usually dominate these disputes over kills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger#Interspecific_predatory_relationships "

hmm, the facts that i have given you is based on the national geographic, but you can check em out on their site as well as many videos from youtube as well
MisterGuyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MisterGuyMan

Grizzly wins easy.  Even a small Grizzly is larger than a large Siberian Tiger.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Vortex13

This could actually go either way. A bangle tiger can sometimes take down a small elephant, and Siberians are larger than bangles. Siberian tigers deal with large bears in Russia and can win, though truthfully I don't think the bears in Russia are larger or the same size, they are smaller. The Bear definitely has power over the tiger, but Siberians are no push over either, however the tiger has speed and agility over the bear. The tiger could lunge at the bear and get its throat before the bear can swipe at it, we're talking about a cat that can jump around 12 feet I think. As others have said though one swipe from that bear might be able to kill the tiger, though when Siberians fight they swipe at each other too and they can kill animals with one swipe as well. The tiger has much sharper claws and can dish out a lot of hurt. I think the bear might ultimately win this, but the bear might die afterwords from injuries.

capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By capall
@Vortex13 said:
"This could actually go either way. A bangle tiger can sometimes take down a small elephant, and Siberians are larger than bangles. Siberian tigers deal with large bears in Russia and can win, though truthfully I don't think the bears in Russia are larger or the same size, they are smaller. The Bear definitely has power over the tiger, but Siberians are no push over either, however the tiger has speed and agility over the bear. The tiger could lunge at the bear and get its throat before the bear can swipe at it, we're talking about a cat that can jump around 12 feet I think. As others had said though one swipe from that bear might be able to kill the tiger, though when Siberians fight they swipe at each other too and they can kill animals with one swipe as well. The tiger has much sharper claws and can dish out a lot of hurt. I think the bear might ultimately win this, but the bear might die afterwords from injuries. "

a bangle tiger may take down a infant or dying elephant that has been abandoned or lost but even a healthy young elephant would destroy a tiger easily and mostly a tiger knows that a mother or other members of the elephant is around so it wouldn't mess with a elephant as elephants are animials that live in tight groups of families
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vortex13
@MisterGuyMan: not actually true small grizzlies are around 700 to 900 lbs the average male tiger is 650 lbs not that far off. Plus the larger recorded Siberian tigers have been recorded around 1,000 lbs. Thats around the same size of a larger grizzly.
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vortex13
@capall: That is true but the tiger still has speed and agility over the bear, like I said it could go either way I am leaning towards the bear but people seem to think that the bear wins easily I think it'll be a close fight though.
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By capall
@Vortex13 said:
" @capall: That is true but the tiger still has speed and agility over the bear, like I said it could go either way I am leaning towards the bear but people seem to think that the bear wins easily I think it'll be a close fight though. "

i can agree with that, it mainly depends on the size, age, the mood and how hungry these predator/omnivore's are at the time when they meet each other in the wild
MisterGuyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MisterGuyMan

I'm not really talking about the statistical anomalies.  The largest Siberian Tiger was 847 lbs.  The largest grizzly found is significantly larger.  Even still, any given Grizzly is likely larger than any given Siberian Tiger.

No Caption Provided
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vortex13
@capall: Yup. I'm glad that you got you're information from national geographic, I'm getting mine from their too. I own the national geographic book of mammals, I'm hoping to get one of reptiles and insects too. It wont be from national geographic though I don't believe they have one's for those.
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By capall
@Vortex13 said:
" @capall: Yup. I'm glad that you got you're information from national geographic, I'm getting mine from their too. I own the national geographic book of mammals, I'm hoping to get one of reptiles and insects too. "

i love the national geographic i even have that channel on HD and on demand as well as books, lmao
whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By whacknasty
@MisterGuyMan said:
"I'm not really talking about the statistical anomalies.  The largest Siberian Tiger was 847 lbs.  The largest grizzly found is significantly larger.  Even still, any given Grizzly is likely larger than any given Siberian Tiger.

"

Geeeze... Is that a legit photo?  I get creeped out looking at how massive a lion's head is when i go to the zoo...this bear would have been scary... 

Do any of you guys know what that animal planet series is called where they do these theoretical animal battles? I remember seeing one that had a short faced bear in it, and a huuuuge shark, but i cant find them anywhere... 

And I'll have to say the grizzly too (unless we start going with some extremely large cats...), but he will have battle scars for the rest of his days..
vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vuviper
@whacknasty: Jurrassic Fight Club

thats cool, mine where just wiki'ed but there are the sources listed for that paragraph
 ^ Heptner, V. G. & Sludskii, A. A. 1992. Mammals of the Soviet Union. Vol. II, part 2, Carnivores(Feloidea), p. 177. Leiden, E. J. Brill. 784 pp. ISBN 9004088768 

^ Vratislav Mazak: Der Tiger. Nachdruck der 3. Auflage von 1983. Westarp Wissenschaften Hohenwarsleben, 2004 ISBN 3 894327596 

1. ^ Seryodkin, Ivan (2006). " The ecology, behavior, management and conservation status of brown bears in Sikhote-Alin (in Russian).". Far Eastern National University, Vladivostok, Russia. pp. 1-252 . http://uml.wl.dvgu.ru/rscv.php?id=74.  
  2. ^ Brown, Gary (1996). Great Bear Almanac. p. 340. ISBN 1558214747.  
  3. ^ Seryodkin, I. V., J. M. Goodrich, A. V. Kostyrya, B. O. Schleyer, E. N. Smirnov, L. L. Kerley, and D. G. Miquelle. 2005. Relationship between tigers, brown bears, and Himalayan black bears. Pages 156-163 in D. G. Miquelle, E. N. Smirnov, and J. M. Goodrich (eds.), Tigers of Sikhote-Alin Zapovednik: Ecology and Conservation. Vladivostok, Russia: PSP.
  4. ^ [Table 1. Location, physical status, size and circumstances of deaths of Amur tiger males in the Russian Far East, 1970-1994. http://tigers.ru/articles/tab_eng.html#tab1]
  5. ^ Anatoliy Grigorievitch Yudakov and Igor Georgievitch Nikolaev (2004). The Ecology of the Amur Tiger based on Long-Term Winter Observations in 1970-1973 in the Western Sector of the Central Sikhote-Alin Mountains (english translation ed.). Institute of Biology and Soil Science, Far-Eastern Scientific Center, Academy of Sciences of the USSR . http://tigers.ru/books/ecolog/ch12_en.html.
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vortex13
@whacknasty: That photo is not legit. You can tell because the head is bigger then his shoulders and back, if it was real you would see them behind the head. Also the head is just too massive period, it's definitely a fake. It's too big all together they are only 10 feet tall even Kodiak's aren't that big. Think of a buffalo, they can way up to 2,300 lbs and they are not even that big. It's completely fake.
whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By whacknasty
@Vortex13:
Cool, thanks.  I was worried about having to find some RPG's to even go camping anymore...
chaos-soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chaos-soul

tiger

MisterGuyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MisterGuyMan

That picture actually is legit.   This particular bear was responsible for a few human deaths.  There are other pictures but I only posted that one because the others are pretty graphic.  There's even a picture of a half eaten human leg. 

http://www.blackbearheaven.com/world-record-grizzly-bear.htm
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

The Grizzly would win. It's extremely dense bone structure, devastating claws, brute strength and the fact that the Tiger's preferred method of attack will be highly inneffective due to the bears thick fur and fat, and loose neck skin all factor into the bears victory. Remember in the late 19th century there were pit fights between Grizzly Bears and full gorwn male lions in California. The Grizzly won every time.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By King_Saturn
The Grizzly Bear would win
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vortex13
@whacknasty said:
" @Vortex13: Cool, thanks.  I was worried about having to find some RPG's to even go camping anymore... "
The picture you posted is misleading though because if you look at the picture at the bottom of the page you linked it is mush smaller than the top picture would lead you to believe. It's the angle of the shot that makes it look much more massive than it actually is.
whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By whacknasty
@Vortex13:
Huh? 
BillyBonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BillyBonzo

a fully grown grizzly bear  would be able to kill a siberian tiger 
bears are some of the most powerful land predators on earth with polar bears being the most powerful and aggressive 

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vortex13
@whacknasty: Oh sorry, I posted to the wrong person.
Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Count Bleck

A male 1,500 pound Kodiak bear would defeat any felid to have ever lived.  Including the "saber toothed" Machairodontidaes.  Although Marchairodus Kabir, The American and European Cave Lions,  and Smilodon Populator would have a good shot.   The saber-toothed cats would not immediately try to bite the bear though, their sabre's are weak in the middle and can easily break there, as a matter of fact, their skulls in general were fragile, with this trait being more extreme in the Smilodons, who had longer "Saber teeth" than Marchairodus.   The American/European lion was less heavily built than the Machairodontidaes, but it was bigger by a bit, so that could even the odds, not to mention, it was more agile than it's saber toothed peers.   

Modern felids really don't stand much of a chance against Kodiak Brown bears.

Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Count Bleck
@Vortex13 said:

" @whacknasty: That photo is not legit. You can tell because the head is bigger then his shoulders and back, if it was real you would see them behind the head. Also the head is just too massive period, it's definitely a fake. It's too big all together they are only 10 feet tall even Kodiak's aren't that big. Think of a buffalo, they can way up to 2,300 lbs and they are not even that big. It's completely fake. "

Actually, Snopes.com confirmed that the photo is real.  And Snopes has never been wrong, not even once.
Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lantern Prime

Man this is a hard one. Tiger has the speed, agility and strength to match the Grizzly but hte Grizzly has speed and power as well. But it depends I think if it was a straight forward fight the Bear has the advantage....If it was  an ambush by the Tiger then I think he Tiger has the advantage at that point. But its hard choice for me. But one thing i'll say is the Mountain Gorilla(Silverback) one time defeated the Tiger by breaking his back...
Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Count Bleck
@Lantern Prime said:

" Man this is a hard one. Tiger has the speed, agility and strength to match the Grizzly but hte Grizzly has speed and power as well. But it depends I think if it was a straight forward fight the Bear has the advantage....If it was  an ambush by the Tiger then I think he Tiger has the advantage at that point. But its hard choice for me. But one thing i'll say is the Mountain Gorilla(Silverback) one time defeated the Tiger by breaking his back... "

Unlikely, a Leopard ambushed a Silverback once and disemboweled it, it then proceeded to kill a female gorilla.  And this was documented by a well-known naturalist of the day.  Granted it's a pretty old account, but a leopard still killed two gorillas.  This isn't surprising as leopards and gorillas have virtually the same amounts of strength, due to the fact that pound for pound, leopards are the second strongest felids only exceeded by jaguars, and leopards are far better armed than gorillas.
Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lantern Prime
@Count Bleck said:
"@Lantern Prime said:

" Man this is a hard one. Tiger has the speed, agility and strength to match the Grizzly but hte Grizzly has speed and power as well. But it depends I think if it was a straight forward fight the Bear has the advantage....If it was  an ambush by the Tiger then I think he Tiger has the advantage at that point. But its hard choice for me. But one thing i'll say is the Mountain Gorilla(Silverback) one time defeated the Tiger by breaking his back... "

Unlikely, a Leopard ambushed a Silverback once and disemboweled it, it then proceeded to kill a female gorilla.  And this was documented by a well-known naturalist of the day.  Granted it's a pretty old account, but a leopard still killed two gorillas.  This isn't surprising as leopards and gorillas have virtually the same amounts of strength, due to the fact that pound for pound, leopards are the second strongest felids only exceeded by jaguars, and leopards are far better armed than gorillas. "

Actually I heard a similar story where the Gorilla killed the leapord when it caught it out of the air...
Count Bleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Count Bleck
@Lantern Prime said:
" @Count Bleck said:
"@Lantern Prime said:

Unlikely, a Leopard ambushed a Silverback once and disemboweled it, it then proceeded to kill a female gorilla.  And this was documented by a well-known naturalist of the day.  Granted it's a pretty old account, but a leopard still killed two gorillas.  This isn't surprising as leopards and gorillas have virtually the same amounts of strength, due to the fact that pound for pound, leopards are the second strongest felids only exceeded by jaguars, and leopards are far better armed than gorillas. "
Actually I heard a similar story where the Gorilla killed the leapord when it caught it out of the air... "
Almost certainly not at night.  Any way, tigers were the primary predators of Gigantopithecus, a Kodiak bear sized great ape, as were Sumatran leopards, who were the size of Tigers, and as they were built like their modern day cousins, they were of course a good deal stronger and were probably the dominant predator in asia. 
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vortex13
@Count Bleck:
" @whacknasty said:
" @Vortex13: Cool, thanks.  I was worried about having to find some RPG's to even go camping anymore... "
The picture you posted is misleading though because if you look at the picture at the bottom of the page you linked it is mush smaller than the top picture would lead you to believe. It's the angle of the shot that makes it look much more massive than it actually is. "
I already addressed that the picture was real but the angle of the picture he showed made the bear look larger and was misleading. But yes I was wrong about it being fake.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Son_of_Magnus