Should Black Americans be proud to be Americans?

• 69 results
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

SMH. This thread should be titled "Black Americans, Are You Proud To Be An American".

Nobody else can speak on this issue

This.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I love how all these white people are telling me how I should and shouldn't feel

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By dernman

@hypnos0929:

@static_shock said:
@cozy_da_djed_eye said:

SMH. This thread should be titled "Black Americans, Are You Proud To Be An American".

This.

Of course they can. Everyone can have and speak an opinion based on their reasoning on everything.

That's not the same thing as saying it has any authority on you or you have to place some great value on it.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Of course they can. Everyone can have and speak an opinion based on their reasoning on everything.

That's not the same thing as saying it has any authority on you or you have to place some great value on it.

Right, everyone can say what they want. But, if anyone other than Black Americans thinks that they can tell me how I should feel will not be taken seriously. Simple as that.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not black, so I don't feel like I should have a definitive say in this. Even if I was, I'd still feel like that'd be ridiculous to answer. I also don't really care. I will say though that there are reasons on both sides of the argument that I think are reasonable or justifiable. Whatever not my problem.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy I live in this Country, but am I proud to be an American???....I don't know. Were not perfect we have our Skeletons in our Closets, but....I don't know.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By frogdog

Why am I not suprised there are idiots trying to downplay slavery and acting "America" has progressed enough to treat black people as equals.

I mean Obama has lived in America over 40 years yet isn't considered as an American citizen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's purely a race thing for me, because American slavery MADE it about race. American slavery had a much greater effect on an entire group of people because of the color of their skin. Black people were forced to worked for free because they were different. Black people were whipped because they were different. Black people were stripped of their African culture, heritage, belief system, way of life, language and identity because they were different. Black people were lynched, raped, burned to death, beaten to death, had no rights, had their newborn children used as alligator bait, and endured all sorts of unimaginable horrors simply because they were Black. But, you want talk to me about modern slavery in Africa is if it's the same exact slavery that ended almost 152 years ago in America?

Gosh. How disingenuous of you.... I don't know why people love to bring up other forms of slavery in comparison to American slavery to discredit those that choose not to forget about it or bring it up as if American slavery wasn't a big deal back then.

The fact they were black wasn't the reason it was just the excuse. The real reason is simply because people are sick & they wanted to do sick shit, deep down it wouldn't really matter who they use to fulfill there sadistic desires.

Racism is a front. Black people were targeted because it was easy not because they were different.

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White always say forget about the past , let's not talk about it. Because every philosopher and scientist will tell you the past has no effect on the present and the present has no effect on the future.(Obvious sarcasm?).

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The better question is should white people? I mean slavery,genocide,.......

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@frogdog said:

Why am I not suprised there are idiots trying to downplay slavery and acting "America" has progressed enough to treat black people as equals.

I mean Obama has lived in America over 40 years yet isn't considered as an American citizen.

It tells a lot that the biggest birther is now potus.

BB

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By reactor

This is a sensitive topic, and so many of my friends and family have so many contrasting views.

I know some that are not so much proud to be Americans, as it is they are proud of their accomplishments in America despite being Black, but they way they express it.

I know some that are proud to be Americans because they embrace the "survival/endurance" mentality that came with being a once (brutally) subjugated minority.

Personally, I've never been proud, as I feel nothing to be proud of. I could go into a long explanation as to why, but in various ways, I think the point has sufficiently been covered. People throw the word and idea of pride around carelessly, think about what that really entails.

The small part of my ancestors were wiped out by European diseases and got dispossessed of their own land (native American heritage), and the larger part were sold in a booming trade where they were delegated to slave status due to their appearance, only to now often be blanketed as ignorant, violent, criminally suspicious and uneducated.

I don't want to rant or anything, but like I said, nothing to be proud of

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DBVSE7

No, I simply deal with it.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's aight.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cozy_da_djed_eye said:

This.

If you think that it shows that you don't understand how empathy works and that you will let a person from a group speak for all members of a group when it suits you. Have you ever told anyone to stay out of white/Native European business?

Some people are smarter, wiser, dumber, ignorant, different upbringings, etc, than others. Not everyone will think of these things in the same way just because they have been put in the same group.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you think that it shows that you don't understand how empathy works and that you will let a person from a group speak for all members of a group when it suits you.

It's one thing to listen and understand how a Black person feels about his or her country and a completely different thing to come out of left field and tell a Black person how they should feel about his or her country. I have an issue with the latter, because that shit ain't empathy.

Anyway, here. This is empathy for you.

For some Black Americans it isn't all about the past, but current issues as well, though.

Personally, I don't think any American should be compelled feel pride in their country, it should be based on their own experiences in the U.S.

@lunacyde said:

Since I'm not black I don't think I'm qualified to tell black Americans what they should or shouldn't feel.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dextersinister1

@static_shock said:
@dextersinister1 said:

If you think that it shows that you don't understand how empathy works and that you will let a person from a group speak for all members of a group when it suits you.

It's one thing to listen and understand how a Black person feels about his or her country and a completely different thing to come out of left field and tell a Black person how they should feel about his or her country. I have an issue with the latter, because that shit ain't empathy.

Anyway, here. This is empathy for you.

So it's only ok for someone to tell someone how they should feel about something if they share the same race. Similar circumstances, ability to understand and social intelligence, these things are meaningless.

Those are poor examples of empathy. Your examples of empathy where people who realize it was sensitive but distance themselves, they may have had observations, they may have been terrible or insightful but we won't know.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's only ok for someone to tell someone how they should feel about something if they share the same race. Similar circumstances, ability to understand and social intelligence, these things are meaningless.

What exactly are you trying to prove, and what makes you think that it's going to change anything I've already said?

Those are poor examples of empathy.

Yet, I'm pretty sure one of those people I quoted would be very understanding of a Black person's feelings about this country when it comes to race. I know this for a fact. You wanna keep arguing?