Sea-turtle recovering after being dragged-out and tortured for selfies

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

From the Nat-Geo website:-

An endangered loggerhead sea turtle suffered a painful ordeal on a beach in Lebanon last week, when people allegedly dragged it out of the surf, stepped on it to take selfies, and then beat it with sticks.

Suffering serious injuries, including cracked bones on its head, the female turtle was rescued and is being rehabilitated by the charity group Animals Lebanon.

Harassment of the animal reportedly took place at Havana Beach, in Beirut. After someone allegedly dragged it onto the beach from the water, a crowd gathered around it. A child stood on the turtle's back while people snapped photos.

A witness said people then beat it with a stick.

"The damage is visible and evident—the blows and trauma she suffered have broken through the top of her head, and water from the sea has reached her sinus cavities," the group writes.

Link to the full article:- http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/sea-turtle-stepped-on-for-selfies-injured-rehabilitation-lebanon-beach/

Sometimes I vehemently hate and love my species at the same time. Hate that there are ignorant turds that would torture an innocent animal, endangered no less, for their own, sick amusement. And love the fact that there are groups that look out for endangered animals, that are necessary for ecological balance.

Drumgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Human race never fails to surprise me.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drumgun said:

Never fails to disgust me, honestly.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cattlebattle

Oh my god....humans are so terrible to treat animals so horribly!! I am the outraged on the internet!!

Now excuse me while I go back to consuming innocent animals that were slaughtered just so I can compound my gluttony

Sincerely--Everybody in this thread probably ;)

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WarBlade539

@cattlebattle: Huge difference between consuming animals, that are in no danger of being extinct, for food, and torturing endangered species. Hell, there are legal hunting zones where a certain species like elk or wild pigs, have no natural predators and have overpopulated so much, that there is a risk of them destroying the ecological balance completely. In said zones, those species are kept in check by bringing licenced hunters in, during certain times of the year. And also, when an invasive species enters an ecosystem.

So, not the same situation. And it's not all black and white. Nice try though. And fyi, I'm vegetarian.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life in 2016 consists of taking selfies and posting them on social media. Even if it means messing around with a helpless animal. Can't blame them for being hip and trendy. Live Laugh Love.

#justice for Harambe #justice for Cecile #justice for everyone #justice for my iPhone and facebook

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People bullying other species even... stay classy...

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not the first time people have been callously insensitive.

Loading Video...

Prossor_Kobras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least she's being taken care of now.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: No one ate the sea turtle, so I don't get the point of your comment. I'm not sure anyone does.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drumgun said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of cognitive dissonance in this thread....

@WarBlade539: Artificially breeding cattle in the billions and then systematically raping, torturing and killing them to feed our gluttony is on par with killing endangered animals. It's all horrible. We don't get to pick and choose.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is something sincerely wrong with people who abuse animals for amusement

The fact that there was a crowd that condoned this crap is even more sickening and all the more troubling...

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@WarBlade539: Artificially breeding cattle in the billions and then systematically raping, torturing and killing them to feed our gluttony is on par with killing endangered animals. It's all horrible. We don't get to pick and choose.

Any evidence that they are enjoying or finding amusement in doing that???...torture

I'm not saying it's right but there is a difference between enjoying torturing an animal and raising them to be slaughtered.

I wouldn't say cattle are tortured, the fact that they are "food" is reason enough to care for them. We pay veterinarians to treat them if they are sick. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration both review farms on their treatment of animals as well as the cleanliness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vashtanerada88: They? You mean everybody who consumes animal products? Yes, I'd say they find enjoyment and amusement, enough to pretend it's natural and humane.

Don't kid yourself, meat and dairy factories are hell on earth. These animals are absolutely tortured, and the FDA does the bare minimum.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@vashtanerada88: They? You mean everybody who consumes animal products? Yes, I'd say they find enjoyment and amusement, enough to pretend it's natural and humane.

Don't kid yourself, meat and dairy factories are hell on earth. These animals are absolutely tortured, and the FDA does the bare minimum.

Amusement in torturing animals...not eating them. Eating an animal is NOT torturing it.

We care for the animals we eat, Farmers don't abuse them for our own entertainment....that is their income man, come on. Their is no logic in harming/torturing the animal that gets you paid, don't kid yourself. Farmers take better care of their livestock than they do the hired hands (usually Hispanics) helping work the farm.

I was raised of a dairy farm and worked there each day before and after school till i went to college, so your preaching to the wrong crowd. I've seen more than most of that kind of life and i tell you a farmer isn't going to ever ENJOY hurting an animal or to hurt it without reason. That is their livelihood, and i've seen them almost allow a person to be maimed just to not have to hurt(shoot) one of their cattle.

ranchers and farmers are not doing the same stuff as people who just want to hurt an animal for a selfie

DevilGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humans...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These people should be beaten.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sprior93 said:

Who is raping and torturing animals systematically? Where is the evidence for systematic rape and torture of animals?

Using animals as a food product and stamping on a turtle are not the same thing.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpitfirePanda

These people are vein, dumb, and awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

QFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Who is raping and torturing animals systematically? Where is the evidence for systematic rape and torture of animals?

Using animals as a food product and stamping on a turtle are not the same thing.

Using a living, breathing, sentient being for our own needs without their consent........

Loading Video...

Where is the evidence? All over the internet, in countless documentaries, books and articles. The truth is a google search away if you care to educate yourself.

Actively participating in and contributing to the genocide of innocent animals for your own pleasure = torturing animals. Yes, it's not the same thing, but it's laughable nonetheless when people who consume animal products spout their faux outrage like they aren't indirectly guilty of the same thing.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Penguin-Dust: if i was there i would stomp here face in and tell her if she likes that

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HeroUp2112

Simple fact. Maybe...possibly...we are even doing crappy things to cattle in order to feed ourselves. Major differences in these two cases. Maybe it's a fine line, but it's there.

We aren't doing it for fun, enjoyment, or to take a fragging selfie. We're doing it to feed ourselves. We don't raise, "torture", "rape", and we CERTAINLY aren't committing genocide. There is no shortage of beef cattle. Are we on a morally thin line, very possibly.

Do we, for fun, and kicks, whack them with sticks, stand on them, grab them by their limbs and take yuk yuk funny pictures and post them on the internet and say "ha ha, look how funny/cool we are?" Hell no.

I agree, it's a fine line, but it's most certainly there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally find more simple just not caring about animals in general. I agree that this situation with the turtle is not worse than eating meat, and products from animals. People that condone the latter, while complaining about the former, kind of sound like hyprocrites.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some random turtle got treated unfairly. I hate to be that guy- but far, far worse things are happening every second of every day.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This turtle's going to be the villain who tries to wipe out humanity in the next TMNT movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112:

Torture: branding, dehorning, castration, debeaking, tail cropping, cramped/filthy living spaces, bolt gunning, throat slicing and all manner of mutilations -- mostly done without pain killers.

Rape: forced artificial insemination

There's no shortage of cattle because we tamper with their genetics and continually breed them in mass numbers, not because they exist naturally. Billions of animals a year are born, used, and killed solely for our pleasure and convenience -- we are not required to eat them.

A fine line indeed.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:
@mrdecepticonleader said:

Using a living, breathing, sentient being for our own needs without their consent........

Loading Video...

Where is the evidence? All over the internet, in countless documentaries, books and articles. The truth is a google search away if you care to educate yourself.

Actively participating in and contributing to the genocide of innocent animals for your own pleasure = torturing animals. Yes, it's not the same thing, but it's laughable nonetheless when people who consume animal products spout their faux outrage like they aren't indirectly guilty of the same thing.

You said that people are systematically raping and torturing animals. You haven't provided any evidence for that claim.

Genocide? So farming and slaughtering animals for food, not for this fictional sick satisfaction you have somehow created and applied it to everyone who enjoys eating meat, . Is somehow comparable to genocide? That is an extremely loose definition of suicide

So because an animal is being tortured, and attacked for no reason it is somehow false and wrong for people who happen to eat meant to feel disgust about it? That is pretty skewed.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait for the turtle rebellion...

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poor turtle.

OldKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In 2103, the sea turtles will be inspired by their martyr and take over our world by force.

(this is actually sad, but nowhere near as sad as some things that happen to our own race. however, people care more about this poor turtle than the 69,500,000 children under 5 years old that are expected to die from malnutrition until 2020)

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@heroup2112:

Torture: branding, dehorning, castration, debeaking, tail cropping, cramped/filthy living spaces, bolt gunning, throat slicing and all manner of mutilations -- mostly done without pain killers.

branding to a cow is about as painful as a bee sting to us, dehorning doesn't cause them pain, castraition...well..no argument here. I seriously wonder WHY they would debeak chickens, I'll have to look into that, what animal do they tail crop (cows I assume, that's not USUALLY particularly harmful to an animal, but I don't know enough..have to research), bolt gunning is instant death, I'll have to check to see if they still do throat slicing.

Rape: forced artificial insemination

We'll have to disagree on our definition of rape here

There's no shortage of cattle because we tamper with their genetics and continually breed them in mass numbers, not because they exist naturally. Billions of animals a year are born, used, and killed solely for our pleasure and convenience -- we are not required to eat them.

Humans are genetically wired to eat animal protein, it's why we have canine teeth. Among other things. We COULD I suppose all go and hunt and kill the animals we need to eat but A. The supply couldn't meet the demand. B. I promise it's LESS humane.

A fine line indeed.

I agree it's a fine line. See? Like I said, we can disagree completely and I still think you're a Hell of a great guy (it helps that you're on the higher side of the moral high ground on this one than I am, but it wouldn't matter...to me..if it was the other way around :) )....what you may think of ME at this point is possibly another matter.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@drumgun said:

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@cattlebattle: Huge difference between consuming animals, that are in no danger of being extinct, for food, and torturing endangered species. Hell, there are legal hunting zones where a certain species like elk or wild pigs, have no natural predators and have overpopulated so much, that there is a risk of them destroying the ecological balance completely. In said zones, those species are kept in check by bringing licenced hunters in, during certain times of the year. And also, when an invasive species enters an ecosystem.

So, not the same situation. And it's not all black and white. Nice try though. And fyi, I'm vegetarian.

Owned.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: You're good in my book. To be honest, I just like ribbing people about animal rights every now and then. It makes me feel superior and I get a chuckle out of the strong reactions, but I'm never really serious. I don't actually think people who eat animal products are sadists....

.....or do I? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Well...I'm a little bit of a sadist.

Just not to animals.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@heroup2112: You're good in my book. To be honest, I just like ribbing people about animal rights every now and then. It makes me feel superior and I get a chuckle out of the strong reactions, but I'm never really serious. I don't actually think people who eat animal products are sadists....

.....or do I? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well played suppose...

DaDivineKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jonez_ said:

Some random turtle got treated unfairly. I hate to be that guy- but far, far worse things are happening every second of every day.

Real nicca shit right here.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humans are inherently evil. This is one example of that evil.

FactualFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People never surprise me in the depths of their cruelty and the lengths to which they will sharpen their swords to impale those told to be guilty yet innocent of all crimes accused of them, save for being born.

Although now I'm diving into religion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I propose a selfie-taker purge.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In 2103, the sea turtles will be inspired by their martyr and take over our world by force.

(this is actually sad, but nowhere near as sad as some things that happen to our own race. however, people care more about this poor turtle than the 69,500,000 children under 5 years old that are expected to die from malnutrition until 2020)

And yet the human race still won't be in any danger of going extinct.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not the first time people have been callously insensitive.

Loading Video...

Disgusting piece of shit.....