*** School Project READ FIRST *** What is Your Opinion On The Diversity of New Marvel Characters

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

******Hello all, first and foremost I'd like to say that this topic has been created as a school assignment that is supposed to demonstrate the effectiveness of crowdsourcing in the form of creating a discussion on a topic. No that there is no financial gain involved and that I will choose tow of the best comments I see and PM the users to elaborate a bit more on their opinions regarding the subject. Please keep the answers non-explicit*******

The topic of discussion of Marvel's newest set of characters and how they aim at improving the diversity of comic book characters in Marvel. This includes the use of female characters, characters of any ethnic variety and or sexuality.

Do you feel as if Marvel is writing these characters as a way to appeal to a larger audience? If so, why do you believe that's the case?

Do you find these news characters enjoyable? If so, which ones are your favorite?

Comics have always had some sort of semblance and or background to geopolitical issues occurring in our world. Similar to how X-Men can be seen as a parallel to the segregation policies of the 70s, or how Captain America deals with an old war hero out of place in a world without a war.

Do you feel that recent Marvel comics cover the topics of our day and age with the sophistication and care that they handled these other topics? Do you view comics as a good way for our culture to help illustrate what's going on in our world? Do you feel that they are the appropriate medium to do so? If so, why?

Gpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Gpower

I like diversity and I think most people are fine with it as well; the main problem most people have with it in comics, is that the big two have no idea how to go about in a way that everybody will like.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm glad for more diversity in comics but more than that for characters being written intelligently. Less blacksploitation and airheaded women etc. Lots of defensive people don't like to admit it but comics are mostly abominable to women lol. I think it is cool to see more female characters that don't wear painted on swimsuits and act like actual human beings. Probably makes me an sjw or something on this site though.

Anyway people whine about stuff getting more pc but that's not the problem. No doubt a lot of new comics are bad and there's nothing wrong (certainly nothing offensive) about disliking new stuff for being bad. But I always roll my eyes at people who complain about increasing diversity in comics because it's getting "too pc" or something.

Gpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and most of the new characters suck, though I like Miles Morales but he's not really new.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern comic writers, for the most part, do not possess the subtlety and tact to write political stories without coming off as pompous, soap-box lecturing. Sales have shown that political stories do not appeal to readers and Marvel knows this as shown by their recent announcement that they are going back to basics.

Superhero comics are not the proper medium to espouse one's political views because the writers are writing company owned characters with years and sometimes decades of history that needs to be respected. Comic writers have a responsibility to the company and fans to write stories that are true to the characters and respect them and their history. If a writer wants to express their views, they should publish an independent, creator-owned book since it is easier now than ever to do so.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally enjoy it.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you don't replace existing characters then it's not a problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What number 8 & 3 said