Racism in the NFL

• 100 results
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

The Washington Redskins. do you think they should change the name? I definitely do.

As an American who happens to be black I would definitely not appreciate a team called (forgive me moderators) The Georgia "N-words" and from what ive heard the R-word is just as offensive to Native Americans as the n-word is to black people.

I think its a travesty that people sit back and say its not big deal. I think its incredibly wrong of Daniel Snyder not to change the name and incredibly dismissive not only an entire people, but also dismissive of tolerance. what do you guys think?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I actually had this conversation with a friend a few days ago. I'm indifferent, but if changing the name will shut people up and end the topic, then I think they should just do it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam:

if it were offensive to you I think you would have a different opinion.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

I think Redskins is more popular and well know in relation to Washington's football team than with Native Americans.

It's Synder's team so nobody should tell him how to run it, especially considering how profitable they are.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I don't get offended by silly little things.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Is that word used as an insult?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SOG7dc

@awesam said:

"silly little things"?! wow. that's incredibly dismissive

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KnightRise

I have no idea on whether or not Redskin is considered derogatory, tasteless, or offensive because I don't know any Native Americans, or at least not very closely. Then again if my ancestors were nearly wiped out in (way too) recent history and I were living an apparent bastardization of their culture, I'd probably be a little sensitive, too.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15:

that souldnt matter when it comes to common decency. would you have the same argument if there was a team called "the Georgia n-words" and the owner said. "we been making money with the name for so long that its better not to change it" and aside from that profitability has nothing to do with it. people are gonna go watch nfl football whether theyre the redskins or not

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Is the N word even offensive anymore? I think its caused desensitization.

When someome says Redskin I don't think of Native Americans, moreso sunburned people or the nfl team.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SOG7dc

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc: Is the N word even offensive anymore? I think its caused desensitization.

When someome says Redskin I don't think of Native Americans, moreso sunburned people or the nfl team.

uhm yes. it is incredibly offensive. ask any native American and they will tell you. ive asked my friends and they take it very seriously. its not ok to offend people.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AweSam

@sog7dc: Sure, but I see racism in general as a silly little thing.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akindoodle

@sog7dc: If it's not an offensive word, then I don't see the problem. I don't get offended by the N-Word but I know lots of people do and so it's not something one just yells. But if no one finds the name "Redskins" offensive, then people should probably leave well enough alone. I think this is a case of this new fad of "over-political correctness" in society today (apparently you can't teach kids "Baba Black Sheep" anymore. It's "Rainbow Sheep" now) But this is the opinion of an ignorant non-American; I don't know how sensitive the situation there is. I live in Ireland and we tend to just roll with it. By the way, what are the origins of "Redskin"? I'm really curious now. Please enlighten me

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@v_scarlotte_rose: Yep from what I heard it is like calling a black person the N word.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: If it's not an offensive word, then I don't see the problem. I don't get offended by the N-Word but I know lots of people do and so it's not something one just yells. But if no one finds the name "Redskins" offensive, then people should probably leave well enough alone. I think this is a case of this new fad of "over-political correctness" in society today (apparently you can't teach kids "Baba Black Sheep" anymore. It's "Rainbow Sheep" now) But this is the opinion of an ignorant non-American; I don't know how sensitive the situation there is. I live in Ireland and we tend to just roll with it. By the way, what are the origins of "Redskin"? I'm really curious now. Please enlighten me

redskins is an offensive term directed at native americans. to them its akin to the nword for black people or the w-word for latin americans.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

it is not racism. when someone says 'that white guy' no one is offended. so chill out and worry about your problems. real problems instead of screaming racism at everything. just like everybody else is doing.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@dccomicsrule2011: Maybe they should change it then. It seems inappropriate to continue using a potentially offensive name just for the sake of tradition.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@v_scarlotte_rose: I agree,as a African American myself I would be offensive if someone nameda team after the N word.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xanni15

@sog7dc: I have. One of my classmates is Native American, he couldn't care less what name some football team takes.

Is there anything that doesn't offend someone?

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Ah, then it definitely should be changed. Sorry, like I said, ignorant non-American here and....... what's the "w-word"?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15:

with respect that's one person. I'm sure I can find one black person who doesn't care about the nword. the fact that a nationally recognized sports organization can be named a racial epithet and nobody cares speaks to a certain level of inequality in America.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: So now we're talking about the amount of people impacted? I'm sure there's a few Black people on this site who don't care about the N word.

There's plenty of people who care, but you can't force someone to do that. Did you ever think that this is only giving more attention and exposure to the NFL team?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle:

w-word (u can look it up on google what the actual word is) is a derogatory term aimed at latin American. as a matter of fact its probably better that you google it

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc: So now we're talking about the amount of people impacted? I'm sure there's a few Black people on this site who don't care about the N word.

There's plenty of people who care, but you can't force someone to do that. Did you ever think that this is only giving more attention and exposure to the NFL team?

I think its a big enough issue when congress writes a letter to Daniel Snyder urging him to change the name. (yes congress actually did something.) it wouldn't make it to an espn broadcast if it didn't have weight. there are enough people offended that congress is involved. I really don't see how this is even an argument in todays society. offensive things are offensive. and I would argue that the people who don't think terms like the nword or the rword are offensive or at least appreciate that they are in fact derogatory words are ignorant to the history behind them

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@xanni15: AS for the N word they are two definition of the word imo,I find one offensive and the other not so much,but this is not something I should delve into on this thread.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Congress is trying to make the politically correct move. They know its an empty move.

I wouldn't care if my ancestors who I've never met had died, especially not when I benefit in some way (s) today. It gets to the point that I just can't focus on the bad.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is irrelevant to me.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer:

it is racism. by definition racism must either have animosity or an idea of superiority. It could be argued that it suggests superiority to native americans. if its not racist for them to be the r-skins. then its not racist for a team to be named the nwords, the c-words so on and so forth

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SOG7dc

@xanni15:

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc: Congress is trying to make the politically correct move. They know its an empty move.

I wouldn't care if my ancestors who I've never met had died, especially not when I benefit in some way (s) today. It gets to the point that I just can't focus on the bad.

just because its politically correct doesn't mean what theyre doing, though it may be for the wrong reasons, isn't right. why wouldn't you care about something as important as that?

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By TifaLockhart

Wow. The apathy here is quite strong. I don't think it's unreasonable to change a racial slur to something else.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SOG7dc

@sheenlantern said:

@awesam said:

QFT

1. it is definitely not a "silly little thing"

2. what is "QFT"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sog7dc: QFT = Quoted for the truth

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Because it doesn't directly impact me. I'm not sensitive. I don't believe the team is breaking a law so people need to deal.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It may seem silly to you, but it seemed silly to my teachers when my classmates called me a chink over and over. I was quite offended.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@sheenlantern said:

@awesam said:

QFT

1. it is definitely not a "silly little thing"

2. what is "QFT"

It really is, do you really, honestly believe there's genuine, unsubstantiated hatred towards black people behind this?

And it means 'Quoted For Truth', Google could have told you that.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I see. American racial slurs are so odd but I feel smarter now. Thanks

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15:

@xanni15 said:

@sog7dc: Because it doesn't directly impact me. I'm not sensitive. I don't believe the team is breaking a law so people need to deal.

as a history major youd be surprised how much from history actually does have a direct impact on you. and just because it isn't against the law doesn't mean its not wrong.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern:

not toward black people towards native American people. and I believe there is a certain level of superiority being displayed here. again I use the example would you be ok with the name "the Georgia nwords"?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I believe you.

Maybe, but it's a matter of perspective. You'd think that Native Americans would want to get as far away from the term "Redskin" as they could. I'd support a mascot change.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SOG7dc

let me explain the racism that lies behind the term Redskin. Redskin is first recorded in the late 17th century and was applied to the Algonquian peoples generally, but specifically to the Delaware (who lived in what is now southern New York State and New York City, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania). Redskin referred not to the natural skin color of the Delaware, but to their use of vermilion face paint and body paint. In time, however, through a process that in linguistics is called pejoration, by which a neutral term acquires an unfavorable connotation or denotation, redskin lost its neutral, accurate descriptive sense and became a term of disparagement. Red man is first recorded in the early 17th century and was originally neutral in tone. Red Indian is first recorded in the early 19th century and was used by the British, far more than by Americans, to distinguish the Indians of the subcontinent from the Indians of the Americas. All three terms are dated or offensive. American Indian and Native American are now the standard umbrella terms. Of course, if it is possible or appropriate, one can also use specific tribal names. Redskins also refers to the taking of scalps that were a way of accumulating a body count of native americans that had been killed. red referring to the blood side of the scalp that was cut off

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

Uh..Yeah?

It's just the name of a sports team, man, you're making it out to be the second holocaust.

And how is this an act of superiority? What evil criminal mastermind are you picturing, laughing maniacally because he's gotten away with his daring act of hatred against native Americans?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: But it doesn't mean that anymore. History changes things and words.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Racism is in every sport, take association football for example

they called Drogba a monkey for the color of his skin

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15:

its still offensive though mate. it still means that to the people that are impacted by it. and let me point out that Daniel Snyder, a jewish man, sued a local D.C. newspaper for putting something offensive to jewish people on the front page. he wanted them to make a public apology. yet he doesn't think the same rules apply to him

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern:

its not "just the name of a sports team" its and offensive racial slur. I don't now how I can make it clearer. and its an act of superiority because if its ok to be called the r-skins. then its ok to have "the new York holocausts"

"the Georgia N-words"

"The Chattanooga c-words"

its implying that native American racial insensitivity isn't as important as black people, Asian people, jewish people, latin americans etc.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The names very offensive but people don't care. I live in DC and every time the subjects brought up you get all the A holes and rednecks that bitch about they don't care, they grew up with the name and the jackoffs that say their Native American friend doesn't care so why should we? The only reason they didn't have to change it is that the organization that originally protested filed the lawsuit too late.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SOG7dc

@wavemotioncannon:

theres always the one guy with a native American friend who doesn't care. smh