• 130 results
Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-jon-stewart-merida-makeover-disney-brave-0130517,0,7703497.story

So it Seems that Disney is adding a new princess, Merida from Brave <3 Solid flick, I like it, but it's your typical look at me, I'm different type movie.

There's a big stink cause of Disney changing her look

No Caption Provided

Big change ?...not to me

But good old J-stu slammed it last night. Saying it's more then looks. While he made valid points, is this really a big deal ?

I think I'm in the side of "her old look is fine, the new look is fine too, what's the beef

But what do you all think ?

@lykopis

Especially you

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think the fact that this made national news is very sad.

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Spahkuhls

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're 2% different at most.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.I really do not see what the big deal,people b!tch about the wrong thing nowadays....

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Just give the new princess a damn bow

there fixed

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

She just combed her hair and put on a nice dress :P

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't seen Brave yet, but my sister had and she loved it. I guess its alright then :)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

*Grabs popcorn*

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They made her skinner, altered her face and made the dress more like the one that she hated and didnt want to wear in the movie. Its a slap on the face to her character. And enforces the thought that you have to be skinny to be a princess. The other redesigns for the princesses are worse. ( addng anglo/white features the princesses of color and more)

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fuchsia_nightingale: That movie was pretty good, but like you said the whole "look at me I'm a rebel" thing was boring.

I think the old look was perfect for the character. The new look is all girly-girl princess, and that's out of character. The main change isn't even in her outfit: it's her face, which could be the face of any new Disney princess. You could say they "prettified" her, and that's wrong on many levels.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

Aww. So does this mean Ariel isn't the only red head princess anymore?? Not fair.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123

@impy said:
@innervenom123 said:

*Grabs popcorn*

Can I have some?

Only if you join the Superior side of the Spider-man fanbase.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I guess it's the fact that with the new look, it completely goes against what her character stood for in the film. On top of that, I guess people are against the fact that Disney went and made Merida more feminine; dress, make-up, skin tone.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Impy
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123
Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@shadowx said:

They made her skinner, altered her face and made the dress more like the one that she hated and didnt want to wear in the movie. Its a slap on the face to her character. And enforces the thought that you have to be skinny to be a princess. The other redesigns for the princesses are worse. ( addng anglo/white features the princesses of color and more)

well, she seems to have the same face and build to me

her hair is only slightly less curly, because it can be really hard to draw such curly hair and make it look good (lE ike hair)

the dress doe seem a bit out of character, although that is what the line is (mostly) about

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19 JediXMan  Moderator

Seems like it's a little soon. And she's not even a "real" Disney princess. No 3D princesses!

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, she looks the same to me. People just need to chill. Everyone wants to be on their high-horse about one thing or another these days.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

@xwraith said:

Yeah, I don't see much to get mad about.

@jedixman said:

Seems like it's a little soon. And she's not even a "real" Disney princess. No 3D princesses!

I don't count her or Rapunzel either. 3D just doesn't feel right. It doesn't strike me as classic.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie sucked, is a good thing they dont decide to kill her like they did with the toad one.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I don't. Feminists could easily make their problems seem more important than a plane crash.

On topic. She showed young girls that they don't have to be stick models and that their appearance isn't everything. People seem to think Disney princesses also represent strong, independent women, although the majority of them were entirely dependent on the princes in their movies. Snow White, Cinderella, Jasmine, etc. I think people (I'm looking at you feminists) should chill out. Disney stated that this is temporary. It's only for her "coronation ceremony".

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Merida was a bad ass, don't lump her in with those lame princesses......

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really see the difference.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By King_Saturn  Online

It's a couple of white women...

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can tell you goofed big time with the "creative changes" when the character's creator calls the whole thing "atrocious".
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it contradicts the point, don't introduce it.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: To me, I feel whether or not you call it a "Doll' or an "Action figure" it's still at the end of the day it's still plastic. If Disney wants to change a character they own, temporarily for some products, they can. Yeah it's out of character,But does that stop them ? Did it stop DC from have Green Lantern sell Nokia Phones when the movie came out ? :P

I think that are more and better ways out there to teach your daughter about celebrating her individually ^_^

Plus further Proof that Mulan is the Superior princess cause she's pretty and can use a sword ^_^

For all my Feminist Sisters :P

Loading Video...

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pyrogram
lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very sad. Thank goodness it went international, like it should.

@xwraith said:

No. They aren't.

I really do not see what the big deal,people b!tch about the wrong thing nowadays....

Time for some learnin' young'un....

@nerx said:

Just give the new princess a damn bow

there fixed

No Caption Provided

Nope. Not even a little fixed. I'm surprised the bow and arrow pouch haven't been bedazzled.

@shadowx said:

Here's an informed answer. Thank you.

@impy said:

I think the old look was perfect for the character. The new look is all girly-girl princess, and that's out of character. The main change isn't even in her outfit: it's her face, which could be the face of any new Disney princess. You could say they "prettified" her, and that's wrong on many levels.

Here's another one.

I guess it's the fact that with the new look, it completely goes against what her character stood for in the film. On top of that, I guess people are against the fact that Disney went and made Merida more feminine; dress, make-up, skin tone.

It's the kind of "feminizing" they did -- it's the whole "wide-eyed, thickly lashed, red-full lipped, less rounded face" effect plus more noticeable breasts, lowered bodice, smaller waist and tighter dress. Plus the whole "bouncy, curled controlled coif" of a hairstyle which suits Ariel more. Like this:

No Caption Provided

well, she seems to have the same face and build to me

her hair is only slightly less curly, because it can be really hard to draw such curly hair and make it look good (lE ike hair)

the dress doe seem a bit out of character, although that is what the line is (mostly) about

Not to the 200,000 plus people who took the time to sign the petition. Not very hard to draw Merida's hair -- consider the movie. Not that difficult at all. And yes, that dress is everything the character detests and stated as much in the movie.

@nerdork said:

I dunno, she looks the same to me. People just need to chill. Everyone wants to be on their high-horse about one thing or another these days.

Taking a character whom many people declared their enjoyment of and their reasons for doing so which was previously exploited by the company when marketing for the movie is high-horsing? The kids (boys and girls) who loved Merida for her love of life and rejection of what society expected of a "princess" is too over the top for you? Fair enough. I am chilled though -- high up here on my horse.

The movie sucked, is a good thing they dont decide to kill her like they did with the toad one.

Pointless comment.

@awesam said:

@joshmightbe: I don't. Feminists could easily make their problems seem more important than a plane crash.

On topic. She showed young girls that they don't have to be stick models and that their appearance isn't everything. People seem to think Disney princesses also represent strong, independent women, although the majority of them were entirely dependent on the princes in their movies. Snow White, Cinderella, Jasmine, etc. I think people (I'm looking at you feminists) should chill out. Disney stated that this is temporary. It's only for her "coronation ceremony".

What the heck? Seriously? Your first comment is ignorant. I quoted it only for sake-keeping as an example of ignorance.

I agree about Disney Princesses - I find nothing about them being strong and independent but as for people needing to "chill out", especially feminists **waves hands to make sure you can actually see me through the biased glasses you seem to be wearing** you pretty much negated your points. Disney backed down because they should -- it's been pulled from their website where they first show-cased it, as it should be. The coronation ceremony excuse I read as well, along with this being a "one-off." That's the sound of backpedaling and makes this all even more pathetic.

Your whole post confused me, to be honest. No idea what your actual stance is.

Merida was a bad ass, don't lump her in with those lame princesses......

Thank you.

I can't really see the difference.

In those pictures, I agree. But this is Merida.

No Caption Provided

The differences are enough to be noted.

It's a couple of white women...

;P

@armiv2 said:

You can tell you goofed big time with the "creative changes" when the character's creator calls the whole thing "

atrocious

".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it contradicts the point, don't introduce it.

Precisely. The creator of the character is disgusted. I quote:

"When little girls say they like it because it's more sparkly, that's all fine and good but, subconsciously, they are soaking in the sexy 'come-hither' look and the skinny aspect of the new version," Chapman said. "It's horrible. Merida was created to break that mold," she added. "To give young girls a better, stronger role model, a more attainable role model; something of substance, not just a pretty face that waits around for romance."

(source)

@pyrogram: To me, I feel whether or not you call it a "Doll' or an "Action figure" it's still at the end of the day it's still plastic. If Disney wants to change a character they own, temporarily for some products, they can. Yeah it's out of character,But does that stop them ? Did it stop DC from have Green Lantern sell Nokia Phones when the movie came out ? :P

I think that are more and better ways out there to teach your daughter about celebrating her individually ^_^

Plus further Proof that Mulan is the Superior princess cause she's pretty and can use a sword ^_^

For all my Feminist Sisters :P

Loading Video...

Mulan almost made it. In the end, she still needed to get married and have a man save her from a life of spinsterhood. Had she remained a royal guard and free, then I would agree with you. She is still the best out of them all, if forced to picked one.

As for your bolded part, yes, I think there are much better role models to point to when teaching all your children, not just girls about their individualism. Disney is poor example in that respect. Problem is, they marketed this character for all the reasons they have just attempted to throw away. You can't have people buy Super-Man and then give them Lex Luthor as a substitute. Little kids have purchased the DVD, and other products already -- the sense of culpability is one fostered by the company. You reap what you sow. And hey, look - they changed their minds and reversed the changes. Money talks and it did. That's really what this is all about. Their marketing department f*cked up big time here.

@pyrogram said:

@fuchsia_nightingale: Modern feminists make me laugh :P

Do so in my face, boy.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pyrogram

@lykopis: I already explained to Fuchi they make me laugh in a nice way! >:P

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: maybe bust up her face a little and giver her a battle torn dress, and some blood on them legs...

better

she needs some combat scenes

michael bay explosions

and no tits (jolie style)

:)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@lykopis: maybe bust up her face a little and giver her a battle torn dress, and some blood on them legs...

better

she needs some combat scenes

michael bay explosions

and no tits (jolie style)

:)

This is why you are my friend bro, this is why you are my friend xD

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nerx

@pyrogram: b!tch needs to go topless with her flat chest, and bodypaint like a male berserker

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By joshmightbe

@lykopis: Well I know this is a revolutionary idea but if parents would actually raise their kids instead of letting Disney movies do it for them this wouldn't be an issue. Also since when are Disney princesses good role models for girls there are like maybe 3 of them that aren't completely useless without a guy to come save them. Snow White was a bumbling idiot, Sleeping Beauty literally slept through the most important part of the movie named after her, Little Mermaid gave up her entire life and changed everything about herself for some guy.

The mere fact that anyone wanted Merida to be an official Disney princess proved they didn't get the point of Brave.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO *slowly backs away though but dies laughing*

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: An eyepatch makes it better , and women don't need long hair

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: What I'm getting at is, it's a small change, but it's unnecessary. People should stop overreacting over fictional characters and I clearly can't stand feminists. Simple?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: I know I rarely hear anyone complain when male characters get a more buff make over.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

I haven't even seen the movie and I can tell what's up and why it's a big deal. I'm surprised other people can't.

Just from watching the previews you can tell she's not a girly girl, and seeing them do a redesign where she's got a lower cut dress, it's sparkly, she's standing much more feminine than seen in the first picture, and she's all made up with fancy hair. It's taking the personality of the character and instantly contradicting it to make her fit in with what many of the other Disney princesses look like. Which is ironic, since it seems like Brave is the kind of movie with a female character that's trying not to fit in with what's expected of females in society.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By Vortex13

@lykopis: Well I know this is a revolutionary idea but if parents would actually raise their kids instead of letting Disney movies do it for them this wouldn't be an issue. Also since when are Disney princesses good role models for girls there are like maybe 3 of them that aren't completely useless without a guy to come save them. Snow White was a bumbling idiot, Sleeping Beauty literally slept through the most important part of the movie named after her, Little Mermaid gave up her entire life and changed everything about herself for some guy.

The mere fact that anyone wanted Merida to be an official Disney princess proved they didn't get the point of Brave.

I think that's the point, Merida was really the first one.

And I agree about the idea that the people who made Merida into a Disney Princess missed the point of the film.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@lykopis: What I'm getting at is, it's a small change, but it's unnecessary. People should stop overreacting over fictional characters and I clearly can't stand feminists. Simple?

What do you dislike about feminism out of interest?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@awesam said:

Well, it good when feminists were actually helping women have equal rights, but it's getting out of hand. To a point where men are being oppressed.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:
@pyrogram said:

@awesam said:

Well, it good when feminists were actually helping women have equal rights, but it's getting out of hand. To a point where men are being oppressed.

I don't feel oppressed.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: I do! Woman grabs my tushy, it's no big deal. I grab a womans and I would most likely get arrested. Unfair, I say.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: If you report them they will get arrested. And you even said "no big deal" So you right there don't mind or else you would have never said it.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AweSam
@pyrogram said:

@awesam: If you report them they will get arrested. And you even said "no big deal" So you right there don't mind or else you would have never said it.

Actually, it happened to a friend of mine at his workplace an no one cared. Same place that fired someone a few months back for making a sexual comment about a female employee.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: One case representing the entire world, fair enough. Men are not oppressed...Don't even use that argument.