• 195 results
thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By thespideyguy

Poll Pacific Rim or Man of Steel (198 votes)

Pacific Rim 40%
Man of Steel 60%

Which one was better.

• 
Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pacific Rim for me.

I thought Man of Steel was boring as f*ck. I don't know why Warner Brothers would let such an iconic character be directed by Zack Snyder of all people. He has a way of ruining everything he touches by being overly dramatic and gaudy. I personally hated his interpretation of Krypton. Felt like he stole the set of Prometheus in my honest opinion.

Also, I thought the CGI was much better in Pacific Rim than Man of Steel. I watched both of these in IMAX, so I don't think it could get anymore impressive than that.

THIS..

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reeve fanboys piss me off cuz those movies fking sucked, oh reeve superman could time travel but yet they get mad cuz mos had that Dna shyt

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Deadite

I choose the one with the most potential. Pacific Rim is a breakthrough to the giant monster genre, which I'm all for, and I look forward to becoming a devoted fan to the genre now that it enters the playing field.

However, DC and Marvel has an incredible structure, their material on Superman alone is enough to make them difficult to overlook, even when comparing to something superior.

They can go toe to toe on whatever that's the most promising, creative design there is in recent years, and that's because they're beyond those comparison.

DC and Marvel have characters that can stomp a superior design, due to having so many variation, and great depth, and other creative approach to their character. This kind of support made their character in a sense, perfect.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel took greater risks that didn't didn't pay off while Pacific Rim used a more tested and true method but polished it up the best they could. I'd vote Pacific Rim.

Man of Steel had some great visuals, but it failed at telling the story it was attempting to. Pacific Rim, while "simpler" in it's plot (debatable) told it's story perfectly and more fluidly. I also liked the character arcs in PR better, as Clark Kent's, while taking up a bit of screentime, was confusing and missed it's mark. The one's in PR were simple, but substantial and perfect for the story.

Like I said, I feel Pacific Rim was far more successful at just being what it is. MoS feels like a disjointed mess that is trying to explore several concepts but hitting upon neither.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel hands down. The characters in Pacific Rim were generic as hell.

Same can be said about the actors and characters in Man of Steel. Even Russel Crowe didn't bring much to the table. Costner's Pa Kent was clearly a low point of the film. Unlike MoS, however, the characters in PR had character arcs and backstories that were actually likable and plausible. Only person with a plausible backstory in MoS was Zod IMO. Everybody else had about as much characterization and emotion as a plank of wood. As generic as the characters in PR were, at least they showed some emotion and were actually enjoyable to watch(and in the case of Hunham and Mako, I'll forgive their subdued performance because the characters themselves were brooding by nature)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#156  Edited By SaintWildcard

Man of Steel, I had man tears 3 times during that movie. Havent seen Pacific Rim thought, will see it this week.

solon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel was a disappointing

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_cute: maybe because it was about Clark Kent and not about those other people? Sure they could have done a better job fleshing him out, it was still enjoyable. If you like PR more, it's alright, it's a good movie too, even with the generic characterization. But now we can't even get a goddamn proper Superman sequel to give Clark some characterization, because of the awful shoehorning of Batman.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, seriously MOS had way better acting, story and special effects. PR can't touch it. Period

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, seriously MOS had way better acting, story and special effects. PR can't touch it. Period

What are you kidding me? special effects? LOL. the tornado scene is one of the most worst special effects ive seen this year.. Pacific rim had the best special effects this year.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#161  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Pacific Rim just didn't do it for me. I understand why people love it and that's great for them, but the spectacle just didn't deliver any real excitement for me.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Man of Steel, so my pick should be obvious.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Vaeternus

@Chibi_cute, No I'm not kidding you, PR took the typical CGI route for monsters, have you seriously ever seen Superman one, two, three or 4 and compared it to MOS? The tornado scene didn't look bad, and I've seen far better CGI then PR. Cloverfield had far better. Let's put it this way, I know tons of people who were looking forward to PR and came out disappointed....where as MOS they weren't disappointed. The only people I've encountered to not like MOS are A. Superman haters or B. Have poor taste in movies.

Xaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Man of Steel a lot more

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Pacific Rim was fun, haven't seen MOS yet.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chibi_cute, No I'm not kidding you, PR took the typical CGI route for monsters, have you seriously ever seen Superman one, two, three or 4 and compared it to MOS? The tornado scene didn't look bad, and I've seen far better CGI then PR. Cloverfield had far better. Let's put it this way, I know tons of people who were looking forward to PR and came out disappointed....where as MOS they weren't disappointed. The only people I've encountered to not like MOS are A. Superman haters or B. Have poor taste in movies.

What typical route of CGI are you talking about? Pacific rim had the top notch special effects than any film this year.The director combined animatronics and cgi in order for it to look a sense of scale.Clover field had far better CGI than pacific rim? clearly you are either trolling or desperately delusional thats some serious BS you are talking about .Funny its like the opposite majority of the people ive encountered who were utterly dissapointed were supes fans and they were greatly displeased of what snyder had done to the character..MOS was a pretentious film lets face the reality while pacific rim didn't to be for what it was a robot vs monsters movie.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Vaeternus

@chibi_cute:

Ok, water for example looked weird at times, realistically speaking those machines wouldn't be moving that fast given the construction. And while I still feel MOS had better CGI, MOS did much better in every other way from box office to acting to story. I'm all for animatronics, but I'm saying outside of that the main gripe a lot of people had with it was the generic actors, storyline that's been done to death already(monsters with humans fighting them) No, not trolling just saying the little monsters that came out of Cloverfield monster looked as good as anything in PR(even though the monster looked awkward as hell)

Well, those fans don't know what they're talking about. I've been following Superman forever, and am not a kid. Some people that went out of their way to "hate" on it were those people stuck in one generation of Superman being this uber godly, all knowing being that never kills...yet forget he's killed TONS of times in the comics because it was either that or let many humans, innocent people, aliens etc die over many archs. More people loved MOS then hated it, the main issue that people on here had was "omg he killed zod" yet forget what Zod planned to do, ohh only kill everyone on Earth(but sure, let's just ignore that) Snyder did a great job, people need to deal with it already that this is Superman in 2013, not 1940 and that sometimes heroes have hard choices to make. That's what made Snyder's and Smallville's Superman awesome, they weren't so "over confident" and forget Superman was RAISED human by the kents...despite him being kryptonian. It's about him embracing and accepting why he's there and why he was sent there.

MOS was far better then PR any day, as someone else said best film all year as far as I'm concerned. You seem to be judging just based on "CGI" alone which even if PR had better(which is very debatable) that doesn't make a movie alone, you have to account for everything else acting, choreography, storyline, developed characters which PR seriously lacked.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_cute:

Ok, water for example. And while I still feel MOS had better CGI, MOS did much better in every other way from box office to acting to story. I'm all for animatronics, but I'm saying outside of that the main gripe a lot of people had with it was the generic actors, storyline that's been done to death already(monsters with humans fighting them) No, not trolling just saying the little monsters that came out of Cloverfield monster looked as good as anything in PR(even though the monster looked awkward as hell)

Well, those fans don't know what they're talking about. I've been following Superman forever, and am not a kid. Some people that went out of their way to "hate" on it were those people stuck in one generation of Superman being this uber godly, all knowing being that never kills...yet forget he's killed TONS of times in the comics because it was either that or let many humans, innocent people, aliens etc die over many archs. More people loved MOS then hated it, the main issue that people on here had was "omg he killed zod" yet forget what Zod planned to do, ohh only kill everyone on Earth(but sure, let's just ignore that) Snyder did a great job, people need to deal with it already that this is Superman in 2013, not 1940 and that sometimes heroes have hard choices to make. That's what made Snyder's and Smallville's Superman awesome, they weren't so "over confident" and forget Superman was RAISED human by the kents...despite him being kryptonian. It's about him embracing and accepting why he's there and why he was sent there.

MOS was far better then PR any day, as someone else said best film all year as far as I'm concerned.

well to each is own..

but On rotten tomatoes.

MOS 56%

PR 72 %

Clearly you're not the majority.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Vaeternus

@ chibi_cute, To each his own indeed. I am in majority of people that matter in this case(the general public), and rotten tomatoes is garbage. They also shat on curse of chucky which everyone in the horror genre loved, including bloodydisgusting who's specialty is horror films...and most CP fans loved it as much since the first two films, nuff said. That among many other "reviews" they post that are very questionable but not even going to get into those since that's off topic. This guy explains it best...they hated Transformers 2, which was easily one of the better movies that year.

Loading Video...

I don't go by someone else's view anyway in IGN's case or RT, they're biased and just get paid for their opinions. It's box office numbers, reception by the fans overall/general public that count and THAT majority says MOS was far better then PR. Example, majority on here clearly agree with me as the poll shows and general comic fans(which are the real people who count, not snot nosed critics who happen to get paid for their reviews) Because that's the only difference, and half the time these "professional reviewers" aren't even true fans of the characters, movies they review. It's just a job to them, they see movie, watch movie, review it. That's it, completely ignoring what fans want half the time and what the character's backstory is about.

That being said, enjoy PR. I didn't hate it, just enjoyed MOS a lot more.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched both movies twice, and liked man of steel much more. I didn't find PR all that interesting. The same not-funny girl and a tough captain, and all that. Though the catagory 5 kaiju rising was something that made me hold my breath..

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really get why everyone says MOS had better actors, it's like they all studied trees or something they were all wooden as heck. Russel Crowe in particular. Not saying PR's were much better but it's a little rich criticizing one film for something when the other had the exact same problem.

And LOL at MOS having better special effects. The Jaeger vs Kaiju fights were some of the most visually impressive scenes I ever saw. Only maybe the Transformer movies impressed me more.

MOS's fights were good but a little boring. It was just punch after punch, there wasn't really any progression or escalation, I don't think Superman showed any battle damage at all. PR on the other hand had you holding your breath. The Kaiju were well capable of destroying the Jaegers and you never knew who was coming out best in the battles. The final battle at the breach was incredibly tense when the two Cat 4's were circling, loved it.

All around I liked MOS but Pacific Rim hit the heights for me.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS actors weren't wooden, the movie had award winning calibur actors...compared to PR which sucked in comparison. I can't see how MOS fights were boring, punching someone throw 10 skyscrapers multiple blocks in a huge city? pfftt yeah, far from boring...

Watched both movies twice, and liked man of steel much more. I didn't find PR all that interesting. The same not-funny girl and a tough captain, and all that. Though the catagory 5 kaiju rising was something that made me hold my breath..

Good point.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ chibi_cute, To each his own indeed. I am in majority of people that matter in this case(the general public), and rotten tomatoes is garbage. They also shat on curse of chucky which everyone in the horror genre loved, including bloodydisgusting who's specialty is horror films...and most CP fans loved it as much since the first two films, nuff said. That among many other "reviews" they post that are very questionable but not even going to get into those since that's off topic. This guy explains it best...they hated Transformers 2, which was easily one of the better movies that year.

Loading Video...

I don't go by someone else's view anyway in IGN's case or RT, they're biased and just get paid for their opinions. It's box office numbers, reception by the fans overall/general public that count and THAT majority says MOS was far better then PR. Example, majority on here clearly agree with me as the poll shows and general comic fans(which are the real people who count, not snot nosed critics who happen to get paid for their reviews) Because that's the only difference, and half the time these "professional reviewers" aren't even true fans of the characters, movies they review. It's just a job to them, they see movie, watch movie, review it. That's it, completely ignoring what fans want half the time and what the character's backstory is about.

That being said, enjoy PR. I didn't hate it, just enjoyed MOS a lot more.

TRANSFORMERS 2 IS EASILY THE BEST MOVIE OF THAT YEAR,? OHH GOD. FACEPALM.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyfire said:

Don't really get why everyone says MOS had better actors, it's like they all studied trees or something they were all wooden as heck. Russel Crowe in particular. Not saying PR's were much better but it's a little rich criticizing one film for something when the other had the exact same problem.

And LOL at MOS having better special effects. The Jaeger vs Kaiju fights were some of the most visually impressive scenes I ever saw. Only maybe the Transformer movies impressed me more.

MOS's fights were good but a little boring. It was just punch after punch, there wasn't really any progression or escalation, I don't think Superman showed any battle damage at all. PR on the other hand had you holding your breath. The Kaiju were well capable of destroying the Jaegers and you never knew who was coming out best in the battles. The final battle at the breach was incredibly tense when the two Cat 4's were circling, loved it.

All around I liked MOS but Pacific Rim hit the heights for me.

My thoughts exactly.. it boggles my mind why they said MOS is better especially in special effects. WHAT? do these guys knew anything about special effects.?

I'm sensing bias from the majority since this is a comicbook forum.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Vaeternus

@chibi_cute: please read more carefully next time, I said ONE of the better movies that year, not THE best....facepalm ;-)

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The arguing here is fruitless - between trolls or actual fans: Neither is going to make any concessions on what film they like more so what's the point? We could make comparisons all day or take jabs at either film but no one here is going to reach a consensus here. Just click on the option and don't feed the trolls.

@isaac_clarke: I'm sorry you got so aggressive. This is a public site, everyone can chime in. If you don't want to discuss with people don't, but don't act offended when someone disagrees. Where did I appear to be spoiling for a fight?

So, it seems that you didn't understand what I was saying, but you don't seem interested in reasoning with me because I did something appearently unspeakable, so... you know... have a nice argument by yourself.

Here's the issue champ. You can't approach an argument telling me how 'we didn't' do this or that - because you aren't them or in any collusion with them. Jumping in to talk for them and goad me into arguing with you isn't something I'm going to entertain. Especially against a non-argument that consists of trying to say MOS would be the movie it was if Superman didn't fly on screen.

Feel free to shoot for dramatics, I'm likely not going to respond anyways.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf: The point is, I thought MOS was fantastic. If you didn't that's alright.

Del toro >>>> zack snyder.

Clearly some guys don't understand what the director intended for all the cliches pacific rim had pacific rim is a fresh blast..

While MOS is just a pretentious as it seems..

Cliches to those of us who haven't seen the original Kaiju Flicks are still just cliches. And I shouldn't have to see a entire dead franchise of movies just to get this one.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herokiller12344: good point. Lol I get a kick out of those who hate on something for merely being better. As far as im concerned sounds like some superman haters dont like the way this topic is voted. I agree, mos was great.

Avatar image for kaijukinggojira
KaijuKingGojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pacific Rim by miles.While I like the Man Of Steel it's just a revamped version of the 1st and 2nd Superman movies.Pacific Rim has way more originality and love for the genre it tributes.

BatmanFan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even a contest. Pacific Rim all the way.

Xaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel hands down

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel taking the lead.

Pimparoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Preferred giant robots vs. giant monsters.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Doomnaut

Pacific Rim was one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Man of Steel was just meh.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS was light years better and a great revision of Superman saga. PR was just a generic monster movie. *yawn*

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel, whooooooooohooo

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS. Both movies are EPIC no doubt about it.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mos

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Man Of Steel, it was actually like.. At all good.

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Pacific Rim was slightly cheesy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoyed Pacific Rim better, but both were meh movies. MOS was just the mehest out of the mehness.

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Enjoyed Pacific Rim better, but both were meh movies. MOS was just the mehest out of the mehness.

Star Trek was better than both combined!

*Dusts off brass knuckles*

No Caption Provided

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot about Star Trek, probably still go MOS more lol but Kahn was a great villian. Zod and Kahn by far the best villians last year lol. Screw little Loki lol

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must be in the minority that hated Pacific Rim. I thought it was an awful movie.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@k4tzm4n said:

Pacific Rim just didn't do it for me. I understand why people love it and that's great for them, but the spectacle just didn't deliver any real excitement for me.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Man of Steel, so my pick should be obvious.

this,

MOS was light years better and a great revision of Superman saga. PR was just a generic monster movie. *yawn*

and this

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I forgot about Star Trek, probably still go MOS more lol but Kahn was a great villian. Zod and Kahn by far the best villians last year lol. Screw little Loki lol

Loki is a fangirl attraction!

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex: lol yeah no doubt, one of my friends who's a huge marvel fan even said "why does loki look emo?" lol

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#197  Edited By Rouflex

@vaeternus:

I didnt like the fact that they killed Zod, i almost voted for Pacific rim... As for Star Trek, i saw it but i dont remember a thing about it xD (Maybe i wasnt looking at it and i was doing other things... i should rewatch it)... Wolverine and Iron man 3 was a waste of my time.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex: Yeah I agree on Marvel films this year were junk overall.

The Zod thing I didn't mind but I know had lots of debate. PR wasn't bad but just a typical monster movie to me, it's like Godzilla, Gamara, Cloverfield etc have done it million times already so I was like blah with it. Star Trek was good but really only if you're a Trekkie fan or into good space, sci fi movies. I kind of stopped taking Loki seriously when Hulk ragdolled him lol.