Only 12% of Americans feel Obamacare is doing well...

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vaeternus

So apparently, just 12% of American's actually believe Obamacare is going well...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/10/22/train-wreck-only-12-americans-think-obamacare-rollout-going-well

Since this is a big issue of late, figured I'd check out the recent numbers of approval, how people feel and the site's glitches etc.

But what I did find interesting is that well known liberal John Stewart even ripped Obamacare of late(now like most, people don't usually take Stewart, Colbert seriously etc) but I did find it interesting how he admits he's been an obama supporter but sees past the smoke & mirrors.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/liberal-jon-stewart-mercilessly-mocks-obamacare-snafu/

I've also read some people apparently blaming the Republicans now for the site "glitching"?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/17/Administration-Says-They-Feared-GOP-Subpoenas-During-Creation-of-Failed-Obamacare-Website

So, thoughts on Obamacare? And do you think it's being done well or not? Who's to blame for the obamacare site glitching?

I'm sure you guys can chime in @powerherc, @cuddlebear, @kingjohnrocks, @cable_extreme and would like to hear your view as well as anyone elses. Since the shutdown is over, figured we can move onto another topic. :)

Xaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not at all surprised

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally, people are realizing how bad Obamacare is.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are the ones who are benefitting by not being able to "afford" health care. I live next to one of these people; she somehow acquires all this useless junk that she goes and sells, 3 times a week, in a yard sale. She obviously doesnt report it, as the tax man has come to my door asking me if i have seen any of these sales how many she has a month (to which i keep my mouth shut). Then she goes and collects welfare. She is the kind of person who I pay extra in my health care, so she can have it for free.

...yeah, the system works...pfff

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

@nerdork: you need to lean on her ass for a cut of the profits.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: lol. Maybe i should. Im getting pretty fed up with it. All of her customers (or what have you) mess up my lawn, stepping all over it. Bahh! I've turned my sprinklers on during one of her "sales" before. She's even tried to tell me that she's a licensed retailer. I laughed right in her face.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

hey, i like having to pay over 7,000 more in taxes a year!

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I dont plan on getting healthcare this year, Ill bit the bullet on the fine.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you think is so bad about it?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee:

We had the same argument on a different thread.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: I see lol. I wonder how superman would feel about obamacare lol

DoomGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh.

Figures.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many people don't even know that the Affordable Care Act and Obamacare are the same thing much less how it affects them or what it entails.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#16  Edited By Extremis

Universal health care now please. I know too many people who don't have health care. We're supposed to be the "best" country in the world. Why can't we have even one of the top ten health care systems?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So apparently, just 12% of American's actually believe Obamacare is going well...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/10/22/train-wreck-only-12-americans-think-obamacare-rollout-going-well

Dude, how about not lying about what you just linked to?

In case anyone actually bothers to look at the site linked, the actual poll says that 12% of people said that "Signup on Health Care Exchange" is going well. 49% said "Not Well". 38% had no idea.

The poll didnt ask about "Obamacare" or "How is Obamacare going?", it just asked about the website rollout.

And yes, we all know that the website has major issues. But, that really means nothing about Obamacare itself. The bugs and site problems will be fixed, it's entirely normal. I know, I work in software engineering, and any large project like this will have issues.

People need to relax since there's still like 4 months to sign up.

Also, making threads with a viewpoint is perfectly fine. Making a thread that flat-out lies is most likely against forum rules. Hope this gets locked soon.

Jimmie_Hudson_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my only input is that polls don't carry much weight with me. polls always make it sound like it is a percentage of the world or a country when really it can be a small group of people.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Statistics done right can actually provide decent numbers - although in this case the OP apparently didn't even read his own link and is pondering what fictional characters might think of the Affordable Care Act.

Leon_Dissada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I in that 88% that says it's not going well at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-57916056a8182
deactivated-57916056a8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be shocked if 12% of Americans actually took the time to read up on Obamacare (stupid name) enough to have an educated opinion.

Leon_Dissada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be shocked if 12% of Americans actually took the time to read up on Obamacare (stupid name) enough to have an educated opinion.

-applause-

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By isaac_clarke

@armistice said:

Its a nick-name for the Affordable Care Act anyhow, but yeah - folks here in the states as far as I've seen will happily provide an opinion based off relatively little knowledge on what they're even talking about. Either way - super misleading title and OP will generate rather dull responses.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I in that 88% that says it's not going well at all.

Like I pointed out in my obviously ignored post, only 49% think it's not going well. And we're talking about the website, not the actual health care program.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By mightyrearranger

"now like most, people don't usually take Stewart, Colbert seriously etc"

I have absolutely no clue what this means. What could possibly be a broader term than "people" to warrant a "like most,"?? O.o

Like most mammals? Like most organisms? Like most lifeforms? Because I don't know anything other than "people" that watch and form opinions on things.

My brain...help...

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supernategames: I'm just asking questions, ones you seem to not have answers to? I'm not trying to argue, it's just that I've noticed a lot of people who hate Obamacare don't really know WHY they hate it.

Leon_Dissada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: i'm just saying I'm in the percent that disagrees and i didn't know you responded

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: i'm just saying I'm in the percent that disagrees and i didn't know you responded

Heh, I think everyone can agree that the website rollout is not going well. The only surprising things are that 1) 12% actually think it's going well, and 2) 38% have no idea if it's going well or not. How can people not have an idea? I mean, it just shows that most Americans really dont pay much attention to what's going on.

RUKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time can be your greatest enemy or your most trusted ally... AKA too soon to judge such a massive program

Leon_Dissada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Alot of Americans don't even know anything about Obamacare.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukm said:

Time can be your greatest enemy or your most trusted ally... AKA too soon to judge such a massive program

Agreed

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma said:

Many people don't even know that the Affordable Care Act and Obamacare are the same thing much less how it affects them or what it entails.

Equally, most people get their health insurance through work, so they have no idea what a nightmare it is to sign up for it if you're unemployed or self-employed.

I'm in the "self-employed" scenario, and actually really looking forward to getting health insurance through Obamacare.

Oh, also, watch this:

Loading Video...

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vaeternus

Willpayton, Uh, yeah im not lying about links but i do find it funny how a few of the sites known obama defenders feel the need to troll the thread telling others how 'uneducted' we all are the truth hurts huh?

Please dont troll the topic nor assume my or anyone elses responses isaac, will etc the link speaks for itself.

@ mighty, I take it you arent familiar with the daily show or youd know what I meant by that...

@ isaac, clearly I did read it and you seem have misunderstood the link, facts Arent dull. Maybe to you but not logical folks.

SirMethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: You're not lying about the links, you're just misrepresenting what they say.

In your original post, you said(among other similar things) "So apparently, just 12% of American's actually believe Obamacare is going well...", making it sound like people(and the links) are talking negatively about the Affordable Care Act itself, which is not the case. What they are unhappy about, is the website. There is a difference.

@supernategames What, exactly, is so bad about Health Care that everyone(or almost everyone) can afford?

@nerdork "She is the kind of person who I pay extra in my health care, so she can have it for free.", there are going to be people like that, regardless of what kind of system it is. What you seem to be ignoring, are the countless people who actually, legitimately, benefit from the Affordable Care Act, who despite working a full time job, literally can't afford to get sick, if they want to eat, pay their rent, etc.

Instead of focusing on the negative, try seeing the positive. That "extra" you pay, goes to make sure that someone, when they get sick, are still able to eat, and not lose their home.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vaeternus

@Sirmethos, With all due respect. I think you misunderstood what I said, I said 12% of americans feel obamacare is doing well as in how its progressing, set up etc however how people feel about Obamacare is a another story(and that is not what this topic is about), thats not what I said. That is more 50/50 among the country, however people having trouble signing up doesnt help.....

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DEGRAAF

Its a huge failure and they should have done away with it. The government is driving this country in to the ground. Im not normally that dramatic but i believe it to be true. All they do is bicker and do things they think are right and go against the people. They should all be fired and they need to stop paying government officials for life even after they are no longer in a government position

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By willpayton

@degraaf said:

Its a huge failure and they should have done away with it. The government is driving this country in to the ground. Im not normally that dramatic but i believe it to be true. All they do is bicker and do things they think are right and go against the people. They should all be fired and they need to stop paying government officials for life even after they are no longer in a government position

Ok, lets say we take your advice and fire everyone in government. Then what? I'm really curious about this plan of yours.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dabee

@degraaf said:

What don't you like about it?

SirMethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Two things.

1. If that's what you meant, then you phrased it wrong. The wording of the OP makes it sound as if you're talking about the actual Act itself. Try being clear in what you say, it's not really that difficult.

2. If people thought that a new computer system would be working perfectly from the start, then they are either hopelessly optimistic, know next to nothing about computers, or they're idiots. With any new system, one can expect a lot of glitches and errors at the start, which is what is happening. It's not particularly anyone's fault, it's the consequence of starting something new. People are working hard to fix the problems though.

At this point, it's too early to give an opinion on it, specifically because it's only in the start-up phase

@degraaf Why, exactly, is it "a huge failure"? I'm honestly interested in hearing what information you have about it, that apparently hasn't been published yet.

Also, why, exactly, do you believe "the government is driving the country into the ground"? They must have made a really huge mess of something, for that to be true. And since a government mess-up of that scale, has not reached the international media, I'm honestly curious about it.

And finally, what, exactly, have they done that make you say they "go against the people"?

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ sirmethos, actually I worded it correctly you just seemed to have mistaken what I said. Notice the title od the op says 'only 12% of americans feel oc is doing well' pretty cut and dry really, Nowhere did i mention anything about thoughts on for obamacare or not.

As for site glitching, sure a.few glitches sometimes happens but theres.no excuse as.its.been a.few.weeks.now more or less and yet the obamacare site still has issues and is still handled poorly. They had a while to set this up now.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this video and thought this would be a good place to post it. There's too much FUD and nonsense on this thread and elsewhere about Obamacare, mainly driven by people who either dont know anything about it, or those who want it to fail for their own political gain.

Loading Video...

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if people cant even apply properly, how helpful is that?

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

All of this reminds me of the "hanging chad" fiasco. I think it is pretty clear that most Americans (who are not hipsters and techies) are pretty thick when it comes to this type of stuff (signing up, etc) Add to that the consideration that the majority of folks who benefit most from the law are minorities and older folks who have les experience with tech and I think it is pretty clear where some of the problems lie.

The OP is clear enough. How Obamacare is doing pretty much relates to current events which at this very moment is the rollout issues. Seems to be an assumption that the OP was about the overall Obamacare law. But it doesn't surprise me that once again semantics are at the heart of these petty in thread squabbles.

Only time will tell how this program pans out. Not off to the best start considering the amount of time and funds available for such a massive program. But it is the Fed Gov. My only issue really is how one sector of the population is being forced to play Robin Hood. Is it charity when it is forced? Sure, I guess we can fall back on the democratic process which led to it becoming law, etc and majority rules, etc. But considering the back room deals and corruption within Washington and how this thing came into being...I really don't feel there was anything fundamentally democratic about it.

Did we need better healthcare for the less fortunate? Yes.

Was corporate healthcare an oppressive system? Yes.

Is the Fed Gov the best and most economical (both in time and money) option? Again, only time will tell. But based upon it's track record and what we are already seeing. I think not.

But it is a liberal/progressive dream. One of the great hopes of the liberal/progressive perspective. A "Holy Grail" so to speak. Now that it is here, there is no way in hell (especially considering what the conservatives are offering, ie nothing) it will ever be taken away. This is the stuff liberals/progressives will fall on their swords to protect.

So middle class, deal with it. The under class, who you will soon be a part of, thanks you for it.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By willpayton

My only issue really is how one sector of the population is being forced to play Robin Hood. Is it charity when it is forced?

Then why do you not have a problem with healthcare before Obamacare? Do you realize that before Obamacare, everyone still paid for healthcare for those who are uninsured? Do you know that? Who do you think pays when someone goes to the ER without insurance, or a "free" clinic? Do you think that just magically gets taken care of with no one paying?

The truth is that everyone paying for health insurance pay for those people, and everyone paying tax money pays for subsidized clinics. So, that was already happening. But, it was a way of providing healthcare which is the worst possible way.

So, I'm sorry, but your objection is not a valid one. The ACA tries to fix the problems of the previous system by making sure as many people as possible have insurance. This leads to more preventive care, which lowers the costs for everyone, increases overall health of the population, and reduces the need for things like the ER. It also tries to prevent people from constantly worrying that they might die of an undiagnosed disease, or have to go bankrupt because of the insane costs of health care. Not just that, but the ACA makes insurance better by not allowing the insurance companies from excluding those with pre-existing conditions.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton:

I get your complaint but the OP title isn't really misleading. The only experience people have with Obamacare implemented is trying to sign up. Everything before now has been theoretical. The exchanges are the first real thing/program to come out of the Affordable Care Act and they haven't exactly been a mic dropping success.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vaeternus

Just read where I live in NYC, if not NYS nobody has applied for this(kind of shocking given how liberal NY is)

@edamame, interesting article.

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kingjohnrocks

In Wisconsin a clinic in the very low income community has been attempting to sign people up for Obama care..3 weeks, not ONE low-income person has been able to sign up.

Senators Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Mark Begich of Alaska and Mary Landrieu of Lousiana, Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire and Joe Manchin of West Virginia have called for delaying the March 31 deadline in response to the technical problems with the Obamacare website. They also want to delay the mandate for everyone to buy healthcare.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/democrats-break-ranks-call-extension-health-insurance-deadline-article-1.1494931

Bob Beckel, Liberal fox news commentator has also called for a delay in the mandate.

http://townhall.com/video/foxs-bob-beckel-white-house-called-after-i-criticized-obamacare-n1731067

Fox news Liberal Kirsten Powers also calling for a delay, but she's going to the extremes: SHE'S CALLING FOR A DELAY FOR THE WHOLE THING! ALL OF OBAMACARE!

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/kirsten-powers-to-oreilly-obama-had-a-total-lack-of-curiosity-about-obamacare-glitches/

Liberal lawmakers, liberal panelists and comentators...Even Robert Gibbs, former Press Secretary to the Annointed One is calling for someone to be fired.

http://twitchy.com/2013/10/14/robert-gibbs-calls-obamacare-rollout-excruciatingly-embarrassing/

We spent 646 MILLION DOLLARS ON THIS WEBSITE. A harvard tech grad said he'd be embarrased if he spent more than 1 million dollars.

Hannity called the Obamacare hotline number the Annointed One, and the person who answers said not many-NO ONE WHO'S CALLED LIKES OBAMACARE. (He's also hillarious in this video, this is the best I've seen him.)

Loading Video...

So, even liberals are seeing this universal nightmare. When Joe Manchin opposes Barack Obama, you /know/ you have a problem on your hands.