Olympics Closing Ceremony performances...

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Edited By papad1992

Did anybody like any of the performances? I would have liked to see more iconic artists like Elton John, Adele, Dido, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, even Paul McCartney again. Also Lily Allen would have been nice to see too. I did like the use of Bond, the all female electric strings band! The Spice Girls comeback was ok.

**All in all, I didn't like the opening and closing ceremonies of London at all... but if they were gonna do a concert, they should have done it well!

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By RedQueen

The organizer's didn't seem to grasp the vital middle ground. I.e: Don't go too modern or too classic pop. Queen was good. Spice Girls was good (if a bit... past their prime). Wasn't too keen on Pet Shop Boys or Tinie Tempah (or however you spell his name). Adele's absence from the line-up was strange.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By papad1992

@RedQueen said:

The organizer's didn't seem to grasp the vital middle ground. I.e: Don't go too modern or too classic pop. Queen was good. Spice Girls was good (if a bit... past their prime). Wasn't too keen on Pet Shop Boys or Tinie Tempah (or however you spell his name). Adele's absence from the line-up was strange.

I agree... Queen was cool but the only great part was the abstract John Lennon piece! And I was so sure that Adele was gonna perform but instead we get a few performances from Jessie J, a horrible singer! It was just one big mess to me. And don't get me started on Kate Moss' appearance!!

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

It was okay. They put some people in there that were horrible though. (Jessie J, One Direction, etc.)

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By papad1992

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

It was okay. They put some people in there that were horrible though. (Jessie J, One Direction, etc.)

"horrible" is an understatement!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I almost through my TV out the window when she sand with Queen. They should have used those crazy hologram things of Freddy Mercury 

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By papad1992

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I almost through my TV out the window when she sang with Queen. They should have used those crazy hologram things of Freddy Mercury

I DID throw out my TV because she sang Queen! I'm at Best Buy now buying a new one.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By texasdeathmatch

What the f*ck?! Who sang Queen?

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedQueen

I have to admit though that I did enjoy the opening ceremony... It definitely captured the sense of "britishness" it was aiming for.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By papad1992

@texasdeathmatch said:

What the f*ck?! Who sang Queen?

Jessie J and two rap/pop artists! It was horrible!

@RedQueen said:

I have to admit though that I did enjoy the opening ceremony... It definitely captured the sense of "britishness" it was aiming for.

Yeah it did... dry, messy, confusing, and boring!

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

I loved the opening ceremony, it was a lot of fun.

Didn't get a chance to see the closing ceremony. : /

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By papad1992

@Icarusflies said:

I loved the opening ceremony, it was a lot of fun.

Didn't get a chance to see the closing ceremony. : /

Compared to Beijing 4 years ago... it was many steps down!

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@papad1992: It's a very different kind of thing. This was an intentional...I don't think mockery is the right word...of the Beijing ceremony.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By papad1992

@Icarusflies said:

@papad1992: It's a very different kind of thing. This was an intentional...I don't think mockery is the right word...of the Beijing ceremony.

I know England has a lot of history spanning from the Industrial ages to Peter Pan, the Beatles to Governesses, etc... but that doesn't mean that we had to have a history lesson crammed into one event! I thought it was messy and all over the place! Nothing memorable came from both of those ceremonies besides when they put together John Lennon's face out of pieces of whatever that was! Kate Moss' appearance has more gossip than both ceremonies combined!

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@papad1992: I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :P

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@papad1992: Oh that's super lame. Guess I'm glad I missed it.
RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RedQueen

I guess you have a point; but it's history is perhaps one of the things the country is famous for (along with it's monarchy and literature). Considering that they had to be very careful as to what to show to avoid controversy (I.e Elizabethan era- Spanish Armada/Victorian Era- slavery/British Empire or Kate Moss, who perfectly incapsulated the ideal of withstaining from drugs...).

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By papad1992

@RedQueen said:

I guess you have a point; but it's history is perhaps one of the things the country is famous for (along with it's monarchy and literature). Considering that they had to be very careful as to what to show to avoid controversy (I.e Elizabethan era- Spanish Armada/Victorian Era- slavery/British Empire or Kate Moss, who perfectly incapsulated the ideal of withstaining from drugs...).

I would have loved to see some Anglo Saxon/Norse mythology/Vikings era that would have been cool! It's is history IS the only thing that makes up England, but it could have been more tightly directed and produced! Without the narrators/commentators... I would have never known what was happening during both ceremonies! I only hope that those who went to the Olympics live to witness it in the stadiums got what was going on!