Motorola Files Patent for Smartphone-Ready Tattoos

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

thats scary

Getting a tattoo on your neck is serious commitment. And if you're not so delighted with that life choice later on, you're going to have a wardrobe filled with more turtlenecks than Steve Jobs. But as reported by Geek, Motorola thinks neck tattoos could be used for more than just irritating your dad--electronic variants could someday link up with your smartphone.

Motorola apparently filed a patent this week with the USPTO, seeking to lock in its designs for an electronic tattoo which "affixes to a body surface for providing auxiliary voice input to a mobile communication device." The patent filing says the tattoo includes a microphone, transceiver, power supply, and controller. Based on the description, this sounds less like a traditional tattoo, and more like an Arduino board glued to your nape.

Apparently, Motorola also believes the electronic tattoo could be used as a lie detector. But since the microphone is on your neck, it would detect if you are lying. Why would you want this, again?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/motorola-files-patent-for-smartphone-ready-tattoos

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By HeckTate

It's scary from some viewpoints but freaking awesome from others. It'll be interesting to see how the insane level of competition between mobile companies affects tech like this. Like if you get a Motorola tattoo but later in life you decide you want to use a device by a different brand will you have to get a new tattoo and then have this useless leftover on your neck? I know that's how Apple will do it when they get there, because they would patent vertical integration if they could.

As for the lie detector application, presumably it would be able to pick up more than just your own voice, like a speaker option that can pick up sounds going on around you. If not, it's not as the readings from your lie detector tattoo could be used against you in court, most courts do not allow polygraph results to be admissible as evidence because they're incredibly unreliable and they use a few more indicators than just voice.

On a different note, I can't wait until they develop an input that allows you to connect things directly in to your central nervous system. I want virtual reality that's so real that your brain literally can't tell the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Cyborgs are close, I sense it.

Really though, this is awesome imo. I would replace most of my body parts with robot parts if that was possible.(If they are beneficial, I don't want it for looks, I want them to increase my speed,strength... I want chips in my brain to enhance my reflexes, to increase my intelligence... I would become a superhero!)