Morgan Freeman's answer to Racism: Agree or Disagree?

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Morgan Freeman's answer to Racism: Agree or Disagree? (187 votes)

Agree 82%
Disagree 18%

• 
tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: That wealth belongs to a few there are millions of white people in America living in conditions as bad as it can get in the country. White people don't just split the money equally among themselves, the top dogs are the top dogs no matter what their race, they just happen to be white.

It really seems like you're trying to find someone to blame.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: And what about the Muslim invasion in France? Thats wealthy too?

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

@nick_hero22: In England currently it's best to be black or white due to the sheer amount of benefits they get.

Why are you referring to me as white? Is it because anyone who challenges the belief that blacks are the lowest in society must be white? I am Jewish I look Jewish and I don't appreciate you dismissing my race purely to emphasize how discriminated you want to feel.

While some Jews did contribute to the oppression of blacks my family was not one of them and so why is it fair that I be discriminated against because of some white dudes for hundred years ago?

I have not contributed to the mistreatment's of blacks through the years and I doubt that you have first hand experience of those atrocities to the point where you get special treatment at my expense because of things that we had no hand in.

Are you black? If, you don't get to speak to for black people and their socio-economic status.

You are a white Jew! Being a Jew is a religious category, so you can be black, white, asian, and etc. and still be classified as a Jew. No because anyone who questions why blacks are at the bottom of the totem is ignorant and being disingenuous and that stems from the cognitive dissonance that white people face about actually acknowledging the roles that their ancestors have played to consciously oppress people of color and how they have reaped the benefits of those atrocities. Jewish isn't a race though because anyone who converts to Judaism is a Jew.

How do you know that your family wasn't one of them? Anyone who sat and let a system that harmed people of color is complicit in crimes against humanity. Your family still reaped the benefits of the collective enslavement of black people in the form of resources and infrastructure that slaves created that they themselves and their descendants couldn't utilize and accumulate, and they have the nerve to act coy when people like my ancestors worked to death to make the modern world what it is like.

Your are complicit in the mistreatment of blacks because resources that blacks worked so hard to create under the whip were taking from them and given to white people so that they could have a higher standard of living while dozens of slaves had to stay in tiny shacks eating leftover scraps. I don't need to have first-hand experience because everything my ancestors suffered and went through still has an impact on me and the way I live like 99.9% of all black people. In that case the reparations that Jews are still receiving from Germany from for the Holocaust is special treatment, but what I find ironic here that white Jews feel like redress should be due for the Holocaust; but in the same breathe would deny the same case for reparations by blacks who have 400 years of being murdered, raped, terrorized, and enslaved.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#555  Edited By tikhunt

@nick_hero22 said:

@tikhunt said:

@nick_hero22: In England currently it's best to be black or white due to the sheer amount of benefits they get.

Why are you referring to me as white? Is it because anyone who challenges the belief that blacks are the lowest in society must be white? I am Jewish I look Jewish and I don't appreciate you dismissing my race purely to emphasize how discriminated you want to feel.

While some Jews did contribute to the oppression of blacks my family was not one of them and so why is it fair that I be discriminated against because of some white dudes for hundred years ago?

I have not contributed to the mistreatment's of blacks through the years and I doubt that you have first hand experience of those atrocities to the point where you get special treatment at my expense because of things that we had no hand in.

Are you black? If, you don't get to speak to for black people and their socio-economic status.

You are a white Jew! Being a Jew is a religious category, so you can be black, white, asian, and etc. and still be classified as a Jew. No because anyone who questions why blacks are at the bottom of the totem is ignorant and being disingenuous and that stems from the cognitive dissonance that white people face about actually acknowledging the roles that their ancestors have played to consciously oppress people of color and how they have reaped the benefits of those atrocities. Jewish isn't a race though because anyone who converts to Judaism is a Jew.

Jews are not just a religion, I am an Atheist and still a Jew because of Jewish ancestry and unique genetic traits shared among Jewish people. Please do not discriminate against my people again.

How do you know that your family wasn't one of them? Anyone who sat and let a system that harmed people of color is complicit in crimes against humanity. Your family still reaped the benefits of the collective enslavement of black people in the form of resources and infrastructure that slaves created that they themselves and their descendants couldn't utilize and accumulate, and they have the nerve to act coy when people like my ancestors worked to death to make the modern world what it is like.

My family were not in Western Europe and had barely arrived in Eastern Europe at the time of slavery and the mass discrimination that faced black people.

Your are complicit in the mistreatment of blacks because resources that blacks worked so hard to create under the whip were taking from them and given to white people so that they could have a higher standard of living while dozens of slaves had to stay in tiny shacks eating leftover scraps. I don't need to have first-hand experience because everything my ancestors suffered and went through still has an impact on me and the way I live like 99.9% of all black people. In that case the reparations that Jews are still receiving from Germany from for the Holocaust is special treatment, but what I find ironic here that white Jews feel like redress should be due for the Holocaust; but in the same breathe would deny the same case for reparations by blacks who have 400 years of being murdered, raped, terrorized, and enslaved.

I am not looking for reparations for the Holocaust because I am not part of it and didn't experience the mass genocide first hand and as such I as an individual have no hand in who gets what. I am against people reaping a benefit at the expense of others solely for a genetic trait which they had no control over. Unless you were a victim you don't deserve compensation or reparations especially not at the expense of others.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

@nick_hero22: That wealth belongs to a few there are millions of white people in America living in conditions as bad as it can get in the country. White people don't just split the money equally among themselves, the top dogs are the top dogs no matter what their race, they just happen to be white.

It really seems like you're trying to find someone to blame.

Stop fudging the facts! White people in general were allowed to accumulate resources and use infrastructure that black created and prohibited blacks from using those same resources and infrastructure, if you cannot see the issue with this we don't need to have this conversation.

@tikhunt said:

@nick_hero22 said:

@tikhunt said:

Jews are not just a religion, I am an Atheist and still a Jew because of Jewish ancestry unique genetic traits shared among Jewish people. Please do not discriminate against my people again.

My family were not in Western Europe and had barely arrived in Eastern Europe at the time of slavery and the mass discrimination that faced black people.

I am not looking for reparations for the Holocaust because I am not part of it and didn't experience the mass genocide first hand and as such I as an individual have no hand in who gets what. I am against people reaping a benefit at the expense of others solely for a genetic trait which they had no control over. Unless you were a victim you don't deserve compensation or reparations especially not at the expense of others.

1) Jew is more of a religious category, I can become a Jew through conversion just like anyone else. Being a Jew doesn't make you into a unique ethnic group because anybody who converts to Judaism is considered a Jew.

2) How does that still address the fact that white people were allowed to use things that black people created that they themselves were prohibited from using and taking part in?

3) So, you tell all the Jews to give all that money back to Germany and then we can have this discussion because Jews have profited immensely from reparations.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22:

1. There is a difference between the religion and the people but it is still a very touchy subject and I don't blame you for not understanding.

2. You said my family have reaped the benefits and I decided to address the fact that it hasn't. I am not interested in what happened to one group of people in the past, I am interested in people today and today there isn't mass genocides of blacks happening in 1st world countries and thus blacks shouldn't be given a special privilege for it. Be it Asian, Jew, White, whatever. If it promotes one group at the expense of the others then I am against it unfortunately it just so happens to be blacks that are getting massive benefits right now in the place where I live.

3. No. Not because I don't want to but because I won't be able to.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

@nick_hero22:

1. There is a difference between the religion and the people but it is still a very touchy subject and I don't blame you for not understanding.

2. You said my family have reaped the benefits and I decided to address the fact that it hasn't. I am not interested in what happened to one group of people in the past, I am interested in people today and today there isn't mass genocides of blacks happening in 1st world countries and thus blacks shouldn't be given a special privilege for it. Be it Asian, Jew, White, whatever. If it promotes one group at the expense of the others then I am against it unfortunately it just so happens to be blacks that are getting massive benefits right now in the place where I live.

3. No. Not because I don't want to but because I won't be able to.

You most believe in magic if you don't see how the past affects how people act and behave in the present.

Loading Video...

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: I didn't say that it doesn't affect how people act, I said it shouldn't be an excuse for putting blacks on a pedestal at the expense of everyone else. It wasn't right when whites done it and it isn't right now.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's exactly what you do, as always, Morgan Freeman is correct, there doesn't need to be a Black History Month, or a Jewish History Month, or anything like that, the way you get rid of racism is stop talking about racism, and just be people, society will follow suit.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's exactly what you do, as always, Morgan Freeman is correct, there doesn't need to be a Black History Month, or a Jewish History Month, or anything like that, the way you get rid of racism is stop talking about racism, and just be people, society will follow suit.

I think he meant stop talking about race in general, not racism

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt: No one is putting blacks on a pedestal, but giving them what is rightly theirs. Your still under the delusion that the reason that white people are enjoying their current socio-economic privilege is because their everything is based off merit which is false. The reason white people are enjoying their current privilege is because they were willing to kill, steal, and rape;but that isn't the part that disturbs me. The part that disturbs is that white people haven't even took the time to acknowledge and thank my ancestors for the 400 years of sacrifice they gave to make all of this possible.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@penderor: People aren't racist they are taught it. Racism is a relatively new phenomenon in regards to world history, and this is my issue with white people because instead of trying to overcome their own history when it comes to dealing with other ethnic groups they just want to lump everyone with them to make themselves feel better. Racism is only common among white Europeans, most people don't segregate themselves by skin color.

This simply is not true.

It hasn't been my experience after living overseas and working in Asian communities for the last 20 years.

It is not remotely intuitive nor demonstrable.

In fact internal secondary migration of immigrant communities, ethnic enclaves and even anyone with any awareness of grade school "cafeteria politics" can see that it is not true.

The only possible positive thing to say is that often times we conflate "racism" with what I shall call "ethnic preference" based on cultural and psychological comfort.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conner_wolf: This is foolishness! Your telling me that blacks don't need a period of time devoted to the accomplishments of their ancestors that didn't just have ramifications for their descendants but all people including white people. History is extremely white-washed and euro-centric, all non-white people to know and celebrate their raw and uncut history, and not what some white people are willing to manipulate and fabricate to fit their agenda.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22: The real foolishness is merely taking a single month to appreciate a group of people, instead of just talking about it all the time.

And no, there is no agenda for white people, you're paranoid.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_hero22 said:

@tikhunt: No one is putting blacks on a pedestal, but giving them what is rightly theirs. Your still under the delusion that the reason that white people are enjoying their current socio-economic privilege is because their everything is based off merit which is false. The reason white people are enjoying their current privilege is because they were willing to kill, steal, and rape;but that isn't the part that disturbs me. The part that disturbs is that white people haven't even took the time to acknowledge and thank my ancestors for the 400 years of sacrifice they gave to make all of this possible.

When did I say that Whites worked for everything they have? I disagree with that statement with every ounce of my body but if you want to lie about my views and words then I don't think there is any need to talk further.

I do not want Whites to get everything and I don't want Blacks to get everything solely because of their skin colour but unfortunately these two races are currently on top in the society that I live in and thus need to be knocked off of that pedestal. What you are advocating is discrimination and institutional racism and are a hypocrite for that view.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's mostly right. The way we stop racism or attempt to suppress it is to look at everyone as human beings. This of course would be a monumental task. Let's face it though, racism will always be present.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572  Edited By DBVSE7

@nick_hero22: I feel you.

People who've never been at the bottom, don't know what's it's like to be there.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Somewhat agree.

mtuske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way to stop racism is stop bitching about the past. I never hear Jewish people bitch about the holocaust daily and that was way worse.

SirZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

I dislike when I see people wearing shirts saying " Proud to be Irish" or I'm black and i'm proud". What the hell are you proud of? You had no choice in your nationality/race. The accomplishments of a race/nationality are not your accomplishments. No race/nationality is superior in any way. No need to be "proud" of anything

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's right, black history is just another part of history, it's not any less or any more important than white or asian history and such.

@raiiyn said:
@_gaff_ said:
@frozen said:
@_gaff_ said:
@wolverine08 said:

He's both right and wrong. He's correct in that Black American history shouldn't be considered an entirely separate entity and instead is something that should be considered an integral part of American history as a whole, but his idea that we should completely ignore things like white, black, etc. isn't going to work and shouldn't be something that is encouraged. People come from different cultural backgrounds, customs, etc. and that's what makes people unique. Racial tolerance should not have to come at the expense of this celebration of our unique cultures, but instead, people should be able to tolerate cultures and customs that are not the same as their own and know behind all of it, we are the same.

"Race" has nothing to do with culture.

Um, race is definitely linked to culture.

No. Ask an anthropologist. Race has absolutely nothing to do with a person's culture. Culture is the differences humans have with each other that can not be explained by inherited genetic traits. In case you did not know,the pigmentation of ones skin is a phenotype trait that is inherited from ones parents. @raiiyn

Race is a social construct. It doesn't actually exist beyond our belief in it. There's no actual biological difference that supports the idea of race or races and it's conception is simply there to oppress what people may perceive as "other" or "inferior". Here's the American Anthropologists Association official position on race: http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

Race is really more of an ideology than anything else and it's existence in itself just fosters discrimination I think. Building more divides does nothing to benefit humanity.

No Caption Provided

>there are people who unironically believe this

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#578  Edited By jumpstart55

Yep..Cosigned 100%...But most people aren't that rational,disciplined or smart to ever give that a try..lmao

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I remember this, and 21 months later I still wholeheartedly agree.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I remember this, and 21 months later I still wholeheartedly agree.

Hyperion_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mtuske: said: Way to stop racism is stop bitching about the past. I never hear Jewish people bitch about the holocaust daily and that was way worse.

Jews don't complain about the past (not that much anyway) because most Jews who lived through their times of hardships and bigotry are dead and most Jews are easily able to pass for White (most American Jews are mixed with White) so there's little to no bias towards them.

African-Americans on the other hand still face the same bias and hardships that started during slavery. Black people can't pass for White, even a lot of the ones who are light-skinned or mix (they are treated better than brown and dark-skinned Black folks though) still face bias to some degree. Black males are still getting murdered by the authorities, used as slave labor in the prison system, unfairly targeted by police, more likely to be unemployed, etc. All of which is a byproduct of America's 400 plus years of their hatred of Black people. So yeah, when the past still effects you today in a negative way you might tend to bitch about it

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#582 Lunacyde  Moderator

He's both right and wrong. He's correct in that Black American history shouldn't be considered an entirely separate entity and instead is something that should be considered an integral part of American history as a whole, but his idea that we should completely ignore things like white, black, etc. isn't going to work and shouldn't be something that is encouraged. People come from different cultural backgrounds, customs, etc. and that's what makes people unique. Racial tolerance should not have to come at the expense of this celebration of our unique cultures, but instead, people should be able to tolerate cultures and customs that are not the same as their own and know behind all of it, we are the same.

Perfect.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperion_x: black males have been murdered by the police, but so have white males.

Unemployment atm has nothing to do with slavery hundreds of years ago. It is the culture that poor minorities have that prioritize other things rather than education and school. Schools in inner-city have a much higher crime rate amoungst children and a much higher drop-out rate. Those problems are the result of culture which is rienforced by the way they are being raised.

A higher crime rate and higher drop out rate are two reasons minorities are less likely to have a job. It is the result of a culture which results to crime as a method of income which leads to a high incarceration rate which was initially caused by how thier were raised. It has little to do with slavery hundreds of years ago, and almost zero to do with police.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely right.

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree for the most part.

Don't really understand the point about not calling someone white or black though (Or rellow or red or whatever if you apply it to everyone else.), I think I just misinterpreted that part because I refer to people as "Black guy"/"White guy"/ So on with the other "Colors." Or I might even just say "This human did so and so."

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#587  Edited By dshipp17

@cable_extreme said:

@hyperion_x: black males have been murdered by the police, but so have white males.

Unemployment atm has nothing to do with slavery hundreds of years ago. It is the culture that poor minorities have that prioritize other things rather than education and school. Schools in inner-city have a much higher crime rate amoungst children and a much higher drop-out rate. Those problems are the result of culture which is rienforced by the way they are being raised.

A higher crime rate and higher drop out rate are two reasons minorities are less likely to have a job. It is the result of a culture which results to crime as a method of income which leads to a high incarceration rate which was initially caused by how thier were raised. It has little to do with slavery hundreds of years ago, and almost zero to do with police.

This doesn't negate his point; you're right to an extent, but, mostly wrong, off, and misinformed; have you ever heard of the EEOC and filing lawsuits based on Title VII? The EEOC demonstrates that African Americans do try to better themselves, but institutionalized racism and stereotyping are the main obstacles against them, plus the issues that the poster raises; going by what you're saying, it's as if African Americans aren't even trying, because of the embedded culture; and, that's true, to some extent. as I explained, since several generations have passed since Title VII passed, the courts gutting it into ineffectiveness by around 1980, and Congress failing to enact legislation amending that statute in response to court decisions that were clearly contrary to the spirit of that statute; so, since African Americans know that they will face obstacles, if they try to emerge from the problems (and I speak this from real life experience, instead of just as an observer), they've developed the culture that you mention, but, at the same time, African Americans aren't just staying in place, as evidenced by the numerous EEOC and lawsuits alleging racial discrimination and retaliation; sure, there are exception, such as Morgan Freeman, but his case is not a norm. So, if African Americans did altogether change this cultural approach, little would change until legislation is enacted that is intended to update Title VII and various other worker's rights laws, including making discrimination based on looks a new protected class, and extending protections to job applicants (e.g. so that selecting people for employment can get serious scrutiny).

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny thing is black males are a much bigger danger to black males than white males are.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/jason-riley-the-other-ferguson-tragedy-1416961287

How the hell did black culture in the US get so violent?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wowee, now this is polarizing!

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@dshipp17: I'm actually learning what I said in my criminal justice class in college. If you think that is wrong, take it up with them.

The data doesn't lie when talking about the culture of the poor (in Urban areas). It has a much higher representation of minorities as well as a much higher crime rate and a much higher rate of high school drop outs.

If you look at well educated minorities, thier yearly earnings are nearly identical to that of whites. It isn't the system that holds minorities back as much as the culture they are raised in. They resort to illegal means of gaining money due to the lack of education which was reinforced my thier family whom also lack education and by thier friends who are in the same situation they are.

We need to look at the problem which is the culture that supports this lifestyle rather than point fingers. We need to open the minds of minorities in poor areas and not teach them that the reason they are there is because of the system l, but because the problem is really that the culture is essentially "trapping" them there.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#591  Edited By dshipp17

@cable_extreme said:

@dshipp17: I'm actually learning what I said in my criminal justice class in college. If you think that is wrong, take it up with them.

The data doesn't lie when talking about the culture of the poor (in Urban areas). It has a much higher representation of minorities as well as a much higher crime rate and a much higher rate of high school drop outs.

If you look at well educated minorities, thier yearly earnings are nearly identical to that of whites. It isn't the system that holds minorities back as much as the culture they are raised in. They resort to illegal means of gaining money due to the lack of education which was reinforced my thier family whom also lack education and by thier friends who are in the same situation they are.

We need to look at the problem which is the culture that supports this lifestyle rather than point fingers. We need to open the minds of minorities in poor areas and not teach them that the reason they are there is because of the system l, but because the problem is really that the culture is essentially "trapping" them there.

I didn't say that the issues that you mentioned weren't factors; in other situations, they would be major and tremendous factors; I'm just saying that institutional racism, most of it having a relativity simply solution, by simply amending/updating the proper legislation, could easily remedy the situation by tomorrow; the institutionalized racism and legalized employment are much bigger factors (e.g. an analogy; imagine that you were in a cage or jail and the person with the key was inside; all you have to do is take the key from that person and leave; but, this person is keeping you there with fun persuasion; but, once you find out you can just simply leave by leaving this person behind and taking the key, you encounter a locked door, and you're still trapped; the locked door is the legalized employment discrimination).

"If you look at well educated minorities, thier yearly earnings are nearly identical to that of whites. It isn't the system that holds minorities back as much as the culture they are raised in. They resort to illegal means of gaining money due to the lack of education which was reinforced my thier family whom also lack education and by thier friends who are in the same situation they are."

Sure, why do you think I mentioned the EEOC and put myself as an example? Education and drive aren't the only solutions; that's rendered mostly irrelevant by the legalized employment discrimination (e.g. as opposed to your solution, that these African Americans try using education and drive to move forward, my solution would be much more effective; that being, amending and updating Title VII, worker's rights legislation, making discrimination based on looks a new protected class, and creating protections for job applicants; now, once it trickles down that education and drive is the path to financial freedom, this culture would quickly start to be abandoned by this subsection of African Americans). The system is holding black people back, or, taking into account your proposed solution, would be holding African Americans back, at least the examples you point out.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: what makes you think people are being discriminated against when applying for a job? If the problems I listed about the culture of the poor are true. Then businesses are simply hiring more qualified applicants who have completed high school and have no criminal background. Now this is obviously a generalization but the point is that growing up in a culture that teaches people school/education aren't important and that criminal activities are the best source of income, essentially leads them to become less qualified for a job than someone who's parents instilled the importance of school and education. The underlining problems poor minorities face is the cultures they are raised in, the culture is keeping them trapped, not the "institution".

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#593  Edited By Lvenger

I agree for the most part, the most effective way to prevent racism is to stop talking about it. Neither white privilege nor black privilege is going to prevent racism, that's something groups like Black Lives Matter need to recognise.

EDIT: I still agree with the Black History month bit, perhaps less on the colour blind approach now.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594 juiceboks  Moderator

@lvenger: Black privilege doesn't exist, and nobody expects white privilege to stop racism. Quite the opposite.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Considering companies like the BBC have quotas for employing a certain percentage of non white employees under the diversity and inclusion act, even going so far as to fire white employees so non whites can replace them, it's quite possible black privilege could be a thing if it's not already.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

He's just an uncle tom.

BB

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@lvenger: The whole reason for those quotas is to remedy the problem of underrepresentation of minorities (not just Blacks) in that company..which is certainly not a problem unique to the BBC. White males still make up a greater percentage of BBC employees than minorities in general let alone black people. I don't see how that can be considered black privilege.

Also I don't recall any Whites getting fired for that reason. Applicants turned away? Yes. Fired? I've seen no evidence of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eh, I agree with his view on black history month, but I disagree about the 'color blind' sentiment. It's naive and unrealistic. People don't operate that way. We notice skin color, sexual orientation, and gender. We label things. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Ideally, people should see black, gay, white, straight, Muslim, atheist, male, female etc. and they should at the very least learn to live with those differences even if they don't like them. Expecting people to blatantly ignore diversity in genetics and social behaviors is a joke.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#600  Edited By Lvenger

@juiceboks: It's no different than setting a quota on the number of white people working at the company. And I think it sends the wrong message about diversity and minority representation. A non white person could be employed just to meet some timetable statistics, not because they're talented or suited for a job at the BBC. As the policy stands, this could apply to any non white employment all because of a misguided and short sighted commitment to diversity that just makes it seem shallow.

Here are 2 recent examples where white presenters have been fired from jobs to be replaced by a diverse replacement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/01/bbc-axe-award-winning-comedian-of-18-years-for-being-white-and-m/

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/724424/Autumnwatch-star-Martin-Games-Hughes-replaced-by-Gillian-Burke