Martian Manhunter confuses me

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Martian Manhunter is pretty much a Superman on steroids. He has pretty much the same powers as Superman but he can also shape-shift, turn invisible, go right through objects, and to top it off he's a telepath.

So why is he shown to be one of the first to go down in battle or always sitting at the watchtower while the others are fighting? So what I'm trying to say is why is he weak compared to people like Superman if he has twice as many powers.

Well, I don't know if he's like this in all comics but in the comics I read and JLU, he's pretty weak. Why?

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Knightfall225

Yea i kind of agree with you. Martian Manhunter is shown weak in many things. In the animated movie Justice League : Doom he was the only leaguer having alot of trouble fighting a villain at the beginning of the movie. I honestly think DC doesnt want to make anyone in the JL stronger than Superman. That is also why did made Wonder Woman a little weaker than Superman. Martian Manhunter doesnt approve of violence so that might explain why he doesnt fight to his full potential or sometimes fight at all

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I honestly think DC doesnt want to make anyone in the JL stronger than Superman. That is also why did made Wonder Woman a little weaker than Superman.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonSmith

His weakness is fire. It pretty much stuns him mentally and physically, to the point he can barely hold his shape. Now, what tends to happen in a fight, especially among superheroes? Stuff blows up. What happens when stuff blows up? Stuff tends to light on fire.

That's my explanation, anyway.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Horrible ass writing(see anything to do with Bruce Timm involving other characters besides Batman)

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Yea i kind of agree with you. Martian Manhunter is shown weak in many things. In the animated movie Justice League : Doom he was the only leaguer having alot of trouble fighting a villain at the beginning of the movie. I honestly think DC doesnt want to make anyone in the JL stronger than Superman. That is also why did made Wonder Woman a little weaker than Superman. Martian Manhunter doesnt approve of violence so that might explain why he doesnt fight to his full potential or sometimes fight at all

Martian Manhunter is pretty much a Superman on steroids. He has pretty much the same powers as Superman but he can also shape-shift, turn invisible, go right through objects, and to top it off he's a telepath.

So why is he shown to be one of the first to go down in battle or always sitting at the watchtower while the others are fighting? So what I'm trying to say is why is he weak compared to people like Superman if he has twice as many powers.

Well, I don't know if he's like this in all comics but in the comics I read and JLU, he's pretty weak. Why?

certain writers either nerf him in order to keep him from surpassing the bigger names in the JL or have him sit in the watchtower in order to avoid using him because they're unable to write fights with him well.

Horrible ass writing(see anything to do with Dwayne Mcduffie involving Martian Manhunter)

@jonsmith said:

His weakness is fire. It pretty much stuns him mentally and physically, to the point he can barely hold his shape. Now, what tends to happen in a fight, especially among superheroes? Stuff blows up. What happens when stuff blows up? Stuff tends to light on fire.

That's my explanation, anyway.

J'onn shown the ability to fight past it before through willpower.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sexually??

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Unlike Superman, J'onn doesn't have the personality to create good stories. He's simply not interesting enough so they don't bother with making him the most powerful. Also, J'onn has a glaring psychological weakness: fire, which can be found in any battle. He's also not as strong or fast by a significant amount. I still think he's more powerful, though. But what I'm saying is, writers don't want to give him the spot light, because you'll have a main character who's way too distant and way too alien.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike Superman, J'onn doesn't have the personality to create good stories. He's simply not interesting enough so they don't bother with making him the most powerful. Also, J'onn has a glaring psychological weakness: fire, which can be found in any battle. He's also not as strong or fast by a significant amount. I still think he's more powerful, though. But what I'm saying is, writers don't want to give him the spot light, because you'll have a main character who's way too distant and way too alien.

sign of someone who knows of the character out of the new 52 or JLU

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash said:

sign of someone who doesn't know of the character out of the new 52 or JLU

Yup

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dbatdog

@batmannflash said:

Great points.

I do like J'onn in the new 52 though. He's pretty darn frightening - he threaten to erase the memories who are involve in argus.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree it is confusing. I find DC characters to be either confusing or filled with PIS/CIS.

I fail to understand how Flash/Superman can be so fast but are defeated at times.

How Superman can be so strong but shows he is struggling to lift things sometimes.

It is rather annoying for me.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LaserLambert
Loading Video...

he's a freaking ragdoll in the cartoon.

Superman is from a planet with higher gravity, Martian Manhunter is from a planet with LESS gravity, he should be weaker than even humans.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: no...from time to time J'onn has shown to have a great heart and full of compassion. But I'm saying that his popular versions aren't like that. Currently in the New 52, he is more distant and isn't the heart of the team anymore. Even in the DCAU, J'onn doesn't display much emotion, besides the occasional smile. They don't want to give the spotlight to someone who the public assumes is just some boring alien. And a lot of writers tend to make him cold and distant these days

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@avenging_x_bolt: no...from time to time J'onn has shown to have a great heart and full of compassion. But I'm saying that his popular versions aren't like that. Currently in the New 52, he is more distant and isn't the heart of the team anymore. Even in the DCAU, J'onn doesn't display much emotion, besides the occasional smile. They don't want to give the spotlight to someone who the public assumes is just some boring alien. And a lot of writers tend to make him cold and distant these days

i understand. im sorry if i got a bit defensive. J'onn's pre DCNU solo is set to be released in trade next year, id advise you to check it out.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Redplanet Dudepredator ftw

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: no need to apologize, my friend! I totally understand when someone makes assumptions about characters I like, I can get defensive as well. And there is? So it's not part of the New 52, but takes place before? Thanks for the recommendation

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Loading Video...

he's a freaking ragdoll in the cartoon.

Superman is from a planet with higher gravity, Martian Manhunter is from a planet with LESS gravity, he should be weaker than even humans.

I like the one with the frozen Hitler

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers