Make a Statement. I will confirm, debunk, or find the answer.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#901  Edited By HeroUp2112

@sprior93 said:

Ernest Hemingway was gay.

While it is sometimes opined that Hemingway may have been gay(and that F. Scott Fitzgerald was his...or at least a... lover), there is absolutely no direct evidence that supports this theory (and believe me I looked!). So, without further evidence this remains not a statement of fact.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: The study of Paranormal activity is a type of pseudoscience.

Um...this sort of depends on what you mean. If you mean a group of laymen going and doing "investigations" with night vision cameras, EMF detectors, and jerry rigged voltmeters then yes I feel comfortable saying that your statement is one of fact.

However, there are Universities which offer degrees in both Parapsychology (the study of mental phenomena that are excluded from or inexplicable by orthodox scientific psychology (such as hypnosis, telepathy, etc.), and Metaphysics (the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space). There are several Universities that have "parapsychology" departments (the University of Edinburgh being the most widely known, though they still don't advertise it) though few readily admit to such research grants and facilities by that name. If you count people with those types of degrees, or involvements with those sort of academic backing conducting serious research then I'd feel safe in saying your statement is not factual.

Take your pick! On rare occasions I actually get to have my cake and eat it too!

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#903  Edited By jumpstart55

Cycling is better for endurance and much less presser on you knees then sprinting and jogging.

LordOfTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The existence of white holes isn't real.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@black_panther18 said:

@heroup2112: The study of Paranormal activity is a type of pseudoscience.

Um...this sort of depends on what you mean. If you mean a group of laymen going and doing "investigations" with night vision cameras, EMF detectors, and jerry rigged voltmeters then yes I feel comfortable saying that your statement is one of fact.

However, there are Universities which offer degrees in both Parapsychology (the study of mental phenomena that are excluded from or inexplicable by orthodox scientific psychology (such as hypnosis, telepathy, etc.), and Metaphysics (the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space). There are several Universities that have "parapsychology" departments (the University of Edinburgh being the most widely known, though they still don't advertise it) though few readily admit to such research grants and facilities by that name. If you count people with those types of degrees, or involvements with those sort of academic backing conducting serious research then I'd feel safe in saying your statement is not factual.

Take your pick! On rare occasions I actually get to have my cake and eat it too!

Sorry, I meant to include both ghost hunting and parapsychology, but since you said that ghost hunting is pseudo while the parapsychology isn't, I guess my statement is true in some ways and false in others depending on context.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time flows in a linear manner.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GAWD! Ahem, well unless we try to get into quantum physics, the theory of relativity, the theory of general relativity (which I only recently learned weren't quite the same thing), string theory, and probably other theoretical types of exotic particle theories I've probably never heard of and I'd be lying if I said I understood well enough to explain then...

yes, as far as I know this is a statement of fact :)

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Santa isn't real.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok said:

GAWD! Ahem, well unless we try to get into quantum physics, the theory of relativity, the theory of general relativity (which I only recently learned weren't quite the same thing), string theory, and probably other theoretical types of exotic particle theories I've probably never heard of and I'd be lying if I said I understood well enough to explain then...

yes, as far as I know this is a statement of fact :)

No Caption Provided

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The universe is infinite

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The universe is infinite

The universe may be infinite, but we can only see a finite section of it due to the finite speed of light. We can only see those parts from which light has had time to reach us since the beginning of the universe - which means we can (in theory) see a spherical universe with radius of about 47 billion light years.

So, according to the best available evidence available, this is a statement of fact.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: James "Rhodey" Rhodes, aka War Machine, was a Vietnam War veteran prior to becoming Tony Stark's sidekick.

Nerise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think, therefore I am

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerise said:

I think, therefore I am

Cogito ergo sum is a Latin philosophical proposition by René Descartes usually translated into English as "I think, therefore I am". The phrase originally appeared in French as je pense, donc je suis in his Discourse on the Method, so as to reach a wider audience than Latin would have allowed. It appeared in Latin in his later Principles of Philosophy. As Descartes explained, "[W]e cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt … ." A fuller form, dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum("I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"), aptly captures Descartes' intent.

This proposition became a fundamental element of Western philosophy, as it purported to form a secure foundation for knowledge in the face of radical doubt. While other knowledge could be a figment of imagination, deception, or mistake, Descartes asserted that the very act of doubting one's own existence served—at minimum—as proof of the reality of one's own mind; there must be a thinking entity—in this case the self—for there to be a thought. Wikipedia Link

I subscribe to this theory personally, so as far as a personal philosophy can be considered a "fact" this statement has a well considered and thoughtful support for it to be considered a factual statement.

I wish I could have made this long story short, but there you have it.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Santa isn't real.

I cannot weigh in on the possible mythological/belief system issues such a statement represents BUT...I have an awful feeling someone is getting a big lump of coal in their stocking in December...

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: James "Rhodey" Rhodes, aka War Machine, was a Vietnam War veteran prior to becoming Tony Stark's sidekick.

This is a statement of fact.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andy Kaufman Died of lung cancer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Taskmaster at his peak can defeat any single combatant 1 on 1 if not jibbing and is strictly H2H?

No enhancements or equipment allowed

Random Encounter

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thor can hit Zolomon Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Wally West has returned to the mantle of the Flash in Rebirth.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: John F. Kennedy was assassinated as a result of a conspiracy.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andy Kaufman Died of lung cancer.

It is a fact that Andy Kaufman died of lung cancer that also spread to his brain on May 16, 1984.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taskmaster at his peak can defeat any single combatant 1 on 1 if not jibbing and is strictly H2H?

No enhancements or equipment allowed

Random Encounter

Unfortunately, this statement is not able to be verified as a fact and is best suited for the Battle Forums.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: John F. Kennedy was assassinated as a result of a conspiracy.

While conspiracy theories will probably always exist, the preponderance of the evidence, especially from the Warren Commission, supports that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Unless other compelling evidence is found, this statement will have to remain not a fact.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor can hit Zolomon Zoom

Unfortunately, this is a statement that is subject to debate as well as subject to change dependent on the whims of writers and editors. As such it should best be directed to the Battle Forums.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#928  Edited By jumpstart55

@heroup2112: Hay man you forgot my question.

@jumpstart55 said:

Cycling is better for endurance and much less pressure on you knees then sprinting and jogging.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#929  Edited By Thekillerklok

Meng Hao is the most shameless Main character in a Er Gen novel.

@heroup2112: This has an objective answer I wish you luck with your googling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Sun Tzu's book the Art of War is still very influential in military organizations around the world.

Blacksmith_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Pinocchio says "My nose will grow now", his nose will grow forever.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Hay man you forgot my question.

@jumpstart55 said:

Cycling is better for endurance and much less pressure on you knees then sprinting and jogging.

Factual statement.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#935  Edited By Thekillerklok

@thekillerklok said:

Meng Hao is the most shameless Main character in a Er Gen novel.

@heroup2112: This has an objective answer I wish you luck with your googling.

This is a statement of fact. However, as a point of interest I once had a Lieutenant who thought it was stupid. Dumb ass LT's...I swear.

No Caption Provided

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok: Whoooops, wrong question.

However, on YOUR question.

The only thing I was able to find out is that Meng Hao seems to be "shameless" in his quest for money. In that aspect it would seem that yours is a statement of fact. If you mean something else, I'm afraid I wasn't able to find it out.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Sun Tzu's book the Art of War is still very influential in military organizations around the world.

I don't remember where I heard this before, but this is a statement of fact.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a statement of fact. However, as a point of interest I once had a Lieutenant who thought it was stupid. Dumb ass LT's...I swear.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#939  Edited By Thekillerklok

@heroup2112 said:

@thekillerklok: Whoooops, wrong question.

However, on YOUR question.

The only thing I was able to find out is that Meng Hao seems to be "shameless" in his quest for money. In that aspect it would seem that yours is a statement of fact. If you mean something else, I'm afraid I wasn't able to find it out.

as always when you fail miserably it's my role to gloat.

my statement was that Meng Hao was the most shameless main character of any of the author's (Er Gen's) novels.

If you were to google the name Er Gen this page is your first result.

all you would of had to do was look at the tags/reviews...

As for the answer Bai Xiaochun... is just a special kind of character that can't be topped.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Jigsaw (John Kramer) was the most intelligent character in film/cinema ever

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Jigsaw (John Kramer) was the most intelligent character in film/cinema ever

Unfortunately, this is a highly subjective statement that cannot be proven as a fact or not. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: I was just asking for your opinion but I understand where you are coming from

Any opinion? Are you familiar with him? Alot arent

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

I did look at that page actually, and five others. Unfortunately I missed the character description you're referring to. I'd say I'm sorry I let you down, but giving you the ability to gloat I don't feel TOO bad. ;)

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morleericks: Ah, I can understand you asking my opinion, but I don't tender that in this forum anymore. It's caused too many problems in the past. This thread is simply for things I can research and prove as factual or not.

Yes, I'm familiar with Jigsaw, the villain in the Saw movies. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112:

Ok new one

Columbine could not have been prevented

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112:

Ok new one

Columbine could not have been prevented

Hmmm, this still requires a little supposition, but little enough that I think it's safe enough to predict with enough certainty to call it a fact or not. Based on the fact that if Eric Harris' father had simply looked through Eric's room even a little bit, he'd have found some of the illegal weapons and bomb making materials and that alone could have stopped the boy's attack plot I think it's enough to say that your statement is not a fact.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: The US plans to send the first manned mission to Mars by 2035.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: The US plans to send the first manned mission to Mars by 2035.

This is a statement of fact. NASA has indeed committed itself to landing a human being on Mars by 2035.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Teddy Roosevelt actually survived an assassination attempt on his life.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Teddy Roosevelt actually survived an assassination attempt on his life.

On October 14, 1912 an unemployeed saloon keeper shot former President and shot former president and Progressive Party candidate Theodore Roosevelt in the chest outside a Milwaukee hotel. While the pages of his speech absorbed a lot of the bullets' impact, Roosevelt was in fact still shot in the chest. This did not prevent him from completing his speech however.

This is a statement of fact.