TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@thetruebarryallen said:
@keenko said:

Yeah, a lot of the time inactivity and poor teamwork is what kills the villains.

Agreed.

@wbr17 said:

I think its need a rework on game rules or on the metagame bc it's losing my interesting. There is nothing new and the heroes always win. Also, I won't discuss my strategy bc i would be selling myself.

Also agreed.

One thing I know I'm tired of is always being targeted by SOMETHING on the first night due to my performance in past games and the fact that I'm "well-known" in the player base.

As much as that sucks that's not really something you can change with the rules without it looking like the host is giving special privileges to certain players.

Actually, I think there might be a solution.

Players are randomly assigned numbers, as opposed to their usernames, they're given these numbers via PM.

Ex:

TTBA = Player 1

Limitlessedge = Player 2

Etc., Etc.,

In the report we see that "Player ___" was swapped with "Player ___" or "Player ___" was protected by "Insert Role"

Users can CLAIM that they're Player ___ and can try and provide evidence (as one would when claiming a role) but this would prevent certain, more commonly targeted users (I.E. - Me) from being picked off in the beginning just due to their experience level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: That sounds needlessly complicated lol

I don't really see the complication; but if you're confused I'll simplify.

> Usernames are replaced with Player Numbers that are randomly assigned at the start of game. Anywhere a username would be used, a player number is now used instead.

Seriously, all you're doing is replacing the user's username with a player number that's changed each game.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also -- I'm sure the idea can be improved upon, but I do think a huge flaw in OUR Mafia games are that we've gotten used to player habits and tenancies and now just base our strategies on our knowledge of the meta.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@queen_marceline said:

> Usernames are replaced with Player Numbers that are randomly assigned at the start of game. Anywhere a username would be used, a player number is now used instead.

Seriously, all you're doing is replacing the user's username with a player number that's changed each game.

I agree. It will be much easier to type as well. I can say for example:

'3 already killed 9, therefore, 4 is guilty of having set the whole deal up'.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:
@queen_marceline said:

The only issue I see with it, at this point, is that if a player is openly admitting something in the thread, for example:

"I, TheTrueBarryAllen, am a villain! This is my villain role!!!! I won't tell you my player number though, hahaha!"

Then that player can't be targeted UNLESS their player number is targeted.

Or in situations where half the group voted for one person to be lynched but another half voted for a different player -- in a game like Marvel v. Capcom that's usually a sign that certain players are on a certain side, but since they have player number designations it would be impossible to target them unless their number was deduced.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@thetruebarryallen: I'd agree that the username w/ numbers replacement would be really complicated and might even be so tedious that we lose players. It's mainly just because trying to interpret and deduce identies of numbers is a lot harder than usernames and requires a bit more effort. But I do think you could be onto something, we could just give them simple first names like Mike or Willie or whatever?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keenko said:

@thetruebarryallen: I'd agree that the username w/ numbers replacement would be really complicated and might even be so tedious that we lose players. It's mainly just because trying to interpret and deduce identies of numbers is a lot harder than usernames and requires a bit more effort. But I do think you could be onto something, we could just give them simple first names like Mike or Willie or whatever?

I don't see how numbers are any more or less tedious than simple first names, because then you'd have to deduce players by that simple first name.

I think adding the numbers or simple first names would just add more detective work and would require players to give their actions more than 5 seconds of thought, hehe.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville said:
@thetruebarryallen said:
@queen_marceline said:

The only issue I see with it, at this point, is that if a player is openly admitting something in the thread, for example:

"I, TheTrueBarryAllen, am a villain! This is my villain role!!!! I won't tell you my player number though, hahaha!"

Or in situations where half the group voted for one person to be lynched but another half voted for a different player -- in a game like Marvel v. Capcom that's usually a sign that certain players are on a certain side, but since they have player number designations it would be impossible to target them unless their number was deduced.

We have to try this out in a game. Maybe next one? This sounds interesting!

LimitlessEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That idea seems needlessly complicated and convoluted.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:
@lowlaville said:
@thetruebarryallen said:
@queen_marceline said:

We have to try this out in a game. Maybe next one? This sounds interesting!

Yeah, I do think it's worth a shot, because the ol' CV Meta is one of my only issues with CV Mafia.

It boils down to lynching/killing the "troublemakers" at the start because of their usual patterns and gameplay styles and then every game feels the same.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By lowlaville

@thetruebarryallen said:
@keenko said:

I don't see how numbers are any more or less tedious than simple first names, because then you'd have to deduce players by that simple first name.

I think adding the numbers or simple first names would just add more detective work and would require players to give their actions more than 5 seconds of thought, hehe.

To make this system a reality: we need some rules. For example.

• At the start of the game, each player will be assigned a secret number. Disclosing this number is up to the player's discretion.
  • Votes & Night Actions can only be taken via assigned secret numbers, and not by names.
  • You are not allowed to disclose the secret numbers of your team mates, and you can simply choose not to share it with anyone else in the game.
  • The host will give up a range, within which the secret numbers exist. Actions can ONLY BE PERFORMED within this range.
Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In theory players getting targeted for their notability should be balanced out by the fact that helpful roles will also tend to focus on those players for the same reasons.

The only problem is that it seems like protectors and other helpful roles tend to do pretty much nothing for a while unless the heroes start getting more coordinated.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:
@keenko said:

To make this system a reality: we need some rules. For example.

• At the start of the game, each player will be assigned a secret number. Disclosing this number is up to the player's discretion.
  • Votes & Night Actions can only be taken via assigned secret numbers, and not by names.
  • You are not allowed to disclose the secret numbers of your team mates, and you can simply choose not to share it with anyone else in the game.

I like it.

LimitlessEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp I'll be blunt. I won't be playing that test game with those rules.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That idea seems needlessly complicated and convoluted.

It forces people to think, and in my opinion; it adds something to the game that has gone missing over the years. It wouldn't complicate much more than the need to stay collected. It would promote corporation and debates, and strategies to start with. We'd see a lot more chaos, or consideration. lol

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limitlessedge: The player number thing? I agree, seems silly

Welp I'll be blunt. I won't be playing that test game with those rules.

Okay, I'm going to be blunt.

Stop being useless, un-helpful individuals and contribute ideas to help make the system better or to improve it. Just bitching about how "complicated" an idea is without offering an alternative is really quite frustrating.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like, seriously, what the hell is so complicated?

Are numbers too hard? Do we need to spoon feed the game to you?

LimitlessEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: Bitching? No sorry but your idea is inherently flaud. Because like you pointed out yourself unless you die or are investigated it would be impossible to know a persons number. Even if they said what it was. This alone would give the mafia side a huge advantage by itself.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limitlessedge said:

@thetruebarryallen: Bitching? No sorry but your idea is inherently flaud. Because like you pointed out yourself unless you die or are investigated it would be impossible to know a persons number. Even if they said what it was. This alone would give the mafia side a huge advantage by itself.

Bitching? Yes, sorry, but until I accused you of bitching you just kept complaining about how "complicated" it'd be without expanding upon WHY it's complicated.

• Players can claim that they are a certain player number -- this is the EXACT SAME THING as players claiming that they're a certain role. You don't believe someone unless they back it up with evidence from night reports.
  • So the 'Mafia Side' gets a buff? Weren't people complaining several posts ago about how the villains HARDLY EVER win due to the system we currently have in place?

The Mafia would still be unable to target specific players and would have to be going randomly unless they investigate a target to obtain both their role & player number.

EDIT: In response to the 'on death' bit -- a players number would be revealed upon death.

Kill Role "X" killed Player 1 last night

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The towns were never supposed to have an inherent advantage in Mafia games. They were meant to try to try to kill the Mafia via strategies.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@limitlessedge said:

The towns were never supposed to have an inherent advantage in Mafia games. They were meant to try to try to kill the Mafia via strategies.

It also doesn't really give them the 'HUGE ADVANTAGE' that's being stated, as the Mafia doesn't have a full list of player numbers, they only know their own and their team members. They'd still have just as much chance of hitting a hero or third party as they currently do, only this time they can't approach with the bias of a player's past behaviors.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville said:
@limitlessedge said:

It also doesn't really give them the 'HUGE ADVANTAGE' that's being stated, as the Mafia doesn't have a full list of player numbers, they only know their own and their team members. They'd still have just as much chance of hitting a hero or third party as they currently do, only this time they can't approach with the bias of a player's past behaviors.

Plus, who knows if even one of their team mates is lying about their actual number? Even they'd have to be careful, and follow strategies laid out in the PM to the latter.

LimitlessEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I can get on my computer and have to type on this shitty phone I'll explain why your idea ultimately is shit.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I can get on my computer and have to type on this shitty phone I'll explain why your idea ultimately is shit.

I'll patiently wait for your rebuttal so I can ultimately explain why you're wrong.

Right now your only argument against my idea is that you lack the comprehension skills to understand it.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By lowlaville

@limitlessedge said:

I'll patiently wait for your rebuttal so I can ultimately explain why you're wrong.

Right now your only argument against my idea is that you lack the comprehension skills to understand it.

I'd like to assume his only problem with the system is that it would make it next to impossible to lynch anyone he wants. And, they have to rely on investigation results. We may be able to remove the day phase relevance from the equation, as it really sounds stupid anyway.

But the same conditions apply for Mafia parties or 3rd parties. There's no way to walk around this default. Unless you know, we start concocting characters who CAN. lol

LimitlessEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand the idea perfectly fine which is why it's so easy to see the flaw. Which ultimately(to me at least)will be bad for the game.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:
@limitlessedge said:

I'd like to assume his only problem with the system is that it would make it next to impossible to lynch anyone he wants. And, they have to rely on investigation results. We may be able to remove the day phase relevance from the equation, as it really sounds stupid anyway.

But the same conditions apply for Mafia parties or 3rd parties. There's no way to walk around this default. Unless you know, we start concocting characters who CAN. lol

I'm really interested in hearing what makes this system impossible to use, because the flaws I initially thought it had have been sorted out.

• Players can claim numbers but must provide the proof to convince other players; this is the same as a player claiming a role and providing evidence as to why they're that role.
  • All usernames will be replaced by player numbers in the Nightly Report; so players can still deduce what PLAYER NUMBERS can or can't be certain roles based on who interacted with them. Roles names will still be used in nightly reports as per usual.
  • Mafia Members must have target players through their player number, meaning unless they do an investigation they are rely entirely on luck to hit their target.
  • If a player is killed then it would simply state that Player ___ was killed by INSERT ROLE HERE.

All this system does is get rid of bias against certain users.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand the idea perfectly fine which is why it's so easy to see the flaw. Which ultimately(to me at least)will be bad for the game.

Now I can't wait to hear you out.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also -- I'm sure the idea can be improved upon, but I do think a huge flaw in OUR Mafia games are that we've gotten used to player habits and tenancies and now just base our strategies on our knowledge of the meta.

this. so much this. that's why I say that it's easier to be a hero nowadays.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville said:
@thetruebarryallen said:
@limitlessedge said:

I'm really interested in hearing what makes this system impossible to use, because the flaws I initially thought it had have been sorted out.

• Players can claim numbers but must provide the proof to convince other players; this is the same as a player claiming a role and providing evidence as to why they're that role.
  • All usernames will be replaced by player numbers in the Nightly Report; so players can still deduce what PLAYER NUMBERS can or can't be certain roles based on who interacted with them. Roles names will still be used in nightly reports as per usual.
  • Mafia Members must have target players through their player number, meaning unless they do an investigation they are rely entirely on luck to hit their target.
  • If a player is killed then it would simply state that Player ___ was killed by INSERT ROLE HERE.

Your plan sounds solid.

People will either be playing smart or killing blind.

It would also give investigators a way to tell what info they have without being instantly targeted.

I would play in that.

There is one flaw, there is nothing to stop some of the more chaotic players from trolling the game because they could not be targeted directly.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:
@lowlaville said:
@thetruebarryallen said:
@limitlessedge said:

Your plan sounds solid.

People will either be playing smart or killing blind.

It would also give investigators a way to tell what info they have without being instantly targeted.

I would play in that.

There is one flaw, there is nothing to stop some of the more chaotic players from trolling the game because they could not be targeted directly.

I feel like it'd become the Host's duty to regulate to make sure the degree of chaos is kept within the rules, and the duty of the players to not buy into the troll's comments and taunts.

Avatar image for mr_nofunallowed
Mr_NoFunAllowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So who's got dibs.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with the number is that a lot of times I discover some player alignment based on their activity on the game thread and n this case even though I still can do that it would be near useless because I wouldn't be able to target that player because I wouldn't know the number.

livewyre718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking of doing a way with the lynching cycle as a whole in my next game. People are too scared to vote because they don't want to reveal which side their on.

The idea that the villain team gets to use all abilities is nice too.

I'm also thinking of a way to provide an incentive for the hero investigator to come forward. Often times they have a ton of info but keep quiet for fear of dying by that leads to the heroes firing blind or not attacking at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@livewyre718: But the lynching cycle is crucial.... getting rid of it would break the game imo

livewyre718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A crucial period of 24 hours where people say I abstain. I'd rather skip it. Especially in games where there's no villain PM. I feel like nothing gets accomplished.

@livewyre718: But the lynching cycle is crucial.... getting rid of it would break the game imo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@livewyre718: Oh, I didn't know you weren't going to have a villains PM. I was thinking more towards traditional Mafia, where whether or not they want to vote/abstain it's still important to include.

livewyre718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queen_marceline: Nah i try not to o traditional setups because it's harder to balance them.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By wbr17

Players underestimate the power of the main thread. Even if everybody choose to abstain the lynching cycle is crucial for you understand the game and discover the player's side. Just cause people don't play the way you want it doesn't mean that it's wrong or a waste of time. get over it.