Light Heavyweight vs Heavyweight

Van_Cere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Van_Cere

Weight and height are crucial factors in fighting and we seem to have the answer right now; The most successful boxers and MMA fighters are all around 6'3 to 6'5 and weights at 230-250 lbs (Examples: Miocic 6'4 240, Fury 6'8 259, Joshua 6'6 234, JDS 6'3 238, Ali 6'3 236 and the new guy Ngannou, 6'4 256). This is because at lower weight classes where KO power is not prevalent, a weight advantage means a lot but at higher weight classes, weight often limits speed and reaction time, mobility and cardio and athletic potential.

What I am saying is, if a light heavyweight fighter (real LHW, around 210 lbs) fought a bigger heavyweight fighter (265+), who do you guys think will win? One is heavier than the middle ground and the other lighter. In these two situations:

1) Both are trained strikers (but well rounded) in the UFC, top 10 skill wise

2) Two random gym goers who are pretty athletic

(BTW, It was because I saw the Fortuna Hamilton fight. Fortuna was 6'1 210 and Hamilton was 6;5 265 but Hamilton got knocked out in a couple of minutes.)

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

There are dozens of variables that can make a fighter loose or win a fight, height and weight are only common variables

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, naturally the heavyweight has a considerable advantage. The degree varies on a case-by-case basis.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are dozens of variables that can make a fighter loose or win a fight, height and weight are only common variables

This. Statistically though, the larger opponent tends to have the advantage. The above comment is still the most true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The actual weights in the light heavyweight and heavyweight classes in both Boxing and the UFC differ greatly. So I don't think you can bunch both sports in together like that or at least not without acknowledging this. In boxing, the weight at light heavyweight is 175. There's more than a 25 lb jump in weight to get to heavyweight. Light heavyweight in boxing is basically the equivalent to the welterweight division in the UFC. There are dramatic differences in the weight class category.

Also, I wouldn't say the most successful boxers and mma fighters are at those listed heights. There's plenty of shorter and lighter fighters just as successful, if not more than those. And it is true that heavier or bigger fighters tend to have the absolute KO power. But KO power is relative to each weight class. So I don't think it's fair to say that it isn't prevalent in lower weight classes. It clearly is. I just felt like I had to kinda correct you there on those things.

But to answer your question and scenarios, yeah the bigger dude usually has the edge. BUT, as the people above me said, there are many variables to consider other than just height and weight in a fight. Things like skill, timing, mental and physical toughness, and maybe luck also play roles among other things that I'm surely forgetting to mention.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By destinyman75

I've never lost a fight to a bigger opponent but those wirey little guys give me hell size matters with ko power and but big guys also tire quicker and Can't stand up when you break there knee caps so little guys can still win. Again as others have said lots of variables and depends on the mentality of the fighters. Mentality means a lot in a fight. Some little guy who is weak mentality will never win, but if he's tough mentality he's got a good chance at least in my experience.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The heavyweight is the always safer bet, assuming they go through similar training and are motivated to fight.

Van_Cere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Van_Cere

@silkyballfro94: That's why I said 'in the UFC' and specifically mentioned the weight. Although there's cases in other boxing and MMA where the smaller person was the more powerful.

And I'm not saying who's more successful. I think you might want to read it again. I'm saying the best weight for someone is below 260 seeing as all the most powerful boxers and MMA fighters are below that weight.

The most famous example (back in the day) is Dempsey vs Willard. Now there's Johnson vs Arlovski, Cain vs Lesnar...lots of cases.

Here's the point: weight is important in lower weight classes, but there's a point where weight becomes a detriment. that's a fact. My question is; is a person who's 30 lbs lighter than that more powerful than the person who is 30 lbs more heavier. That's where the scenarios come in.

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The good bigger guy usually beats the smaller good guy like Bowe vs Holyfield or Adameck vs Klitschko.