Law Student educates Cop on gun law, was he right?

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I found this really interesting, IMO the guy(law student) did come off as an arrogant, stubborn chode however the Cop seemed desperate for looking for a solid "reason" to take his gun away and question him. Now this isn't that new, but under a year old but I found this intriguing since people are hot on the gun topic these days but this guy seems to know his stuff concerning gun laws.

How about your thoughts? Who do you think was right? Do you agree with the Cop or the Law Student?

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because he's not breaking the law, it doesn't mean he's not being an ass. People who carry around weapons in public "just to prove a point" only prove that they're inconsiderate. They treat police officers like crap, but just wait until someone breaks into his house. He's gonna really love the police then.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

let me shock ya V. law student.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

The law student, although a huge dick and attention whore, is technically correct. He was obviously trying to instigate while the police officer was merely trying to do his job.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CuddleBear

@lunacyde: @dabee: let me give you guys some friendly advice. when the police talk to you they are not just "trying to do their job" they are trying to get you to incriminate yourself. they are public servants not THE AUTHORITYthey are there to keep the peace not to meet their quota of tickets. unless you guys are actually coppers then i don't get what your problem is with the law student. also Dabee the police are useless when people break into your house, that gun on the other hand not so much

Shotgunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy was a d'ck

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I really didn't think he was being rude.

The guy's a law student, of course he's going to be dropping references. If dropping knowledge on someone is rude, then I don't want to be polite.

My state not only has concealed carry, but open carry. Meaning its legal for me to have one holstered for everyone to see. Just because people see you with a gun doesn't mean you have the right to be questioned every block.

Was he a little arrogant? Maybe. So what?

(side note, walked into a store once with a sign that read the following: "Firearms are permitted and welcome. Judicious aim is appreciated")

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(side note, walked into a store once with a sign that read the following: "Firearms are permitted and welcome. Judicious aim is appreciated")

LOL

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an ass. The officer was just doing his job and investigating a report.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: @dabee: let me give you guys some friendly advice. when the police talk to you they are not just "trying to do their job" they are trying to get you to incriminate yourself. they are public servants not THE AUTHORITYthey are there to keep the peace not to meet their quota of tickets. unless you guys are actually coppers then i don't get what your problem is with the law student. also Dabee the police are useless when people break into your house, that gun on the other hand not so much

Common speculation I'm sure. Not all cops are like that.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Pathetic lol

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dabee

So a guy walks around the outside perimeter of an elementary school with an assault rifle, and a cop asks him what his problem is. Yeah, that cop really needs to get his priorities straight. The only thing people trying to "exercise their rights" by carrying assault rifles in public blocks really prove is that they are inconsiderate a-holes. You are making a generalization about every police officer because there are a few shady ones. In any profession, you are going to have some bad apples. Police officers are no exception. People just love to hate police officers until they need one. That's my point.

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion on background checks? (In the context of buying and selling deadly weapons)

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

Common speculation I'm sure. Not all cops are like that.

yes they are don't say i didn't warn ya. better call saul

@dabee said:

@cuddlebear said:

So a guy walks around the outside perimeter of an elementary school with an assault rifle, and a cop asks him what his problem is. Yeah, that cop really needs to get his priorities straight. The only thing people trying to "exercise their rights" by carrying assault rifles in public blocks really prove is that they are inconsiderate a-holes. You are making a generalization about every police officer because there are a few shady ones. In any profession, you are going to have some bad apples. Police officers are no exception. People just love to hate police officers until they need one. That's my point.

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion on background checks? (In the context of buying and selling deadly weapons)

a few shady police officers? this is what cops do ALL of them. also tell me what i need a cop for? you going to wait on that cracker jack police response time? must be in a gated community lol. you can be ignorant but don't say you were not warned. better call saul.

tell me what you hope to accomplish with these background checks. whats wrong with assualt rifles? kids need to learn about guns. and how great they are. instead of how scary they are.

but i am guessing you prefer something like this video

Loading Video...

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dabee

a few shady police officers? this is what cops do ALL of them. also tell me what i need a cop for? you going to wait on that cracker jack police response time? must be in a gated community lol. you can be ignorant but don't say you were not warned. better call saul.

tell me what you hope to accomplish with these background checks. whats wrong with assualt rifles? kids need to learn about guns. and how great they are. instead of how scary they are.

Someone drank the Kool-Aid.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

@cuddlebear said:

mmmmmm snark snark

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

@cuddlebear said:

mmmmmm snark snark

;-)
;-)

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CuddleBear

@dabee:

@dabee said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dabee said:

@cuddlebear said:

mmmmmm snark snark

;-)
;-)

No Caption Provided

:|

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fallschirmjager Dropping knowledge might not make that guy an ass. His tone of voice and instigation of the situation purely to show off does.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dabee: by the way. Carrying a gun on school grounds on any state (as far as I know) is illegal and a felony. Even if you have a concealed carry licence, it does not permit you to take it on school grounds - period. So comparing a school to a public walkway isn't the same.

I think the video mentioned they were in Texas, which is a fairly pro-gun state. So it may be legal - but I highly doubt it. In my state it is illegal as f***. The carrying laws are pretty strict to be honest.

For example 1 drop of alcohol and your license is null and void. doesn't matter if you are legally sober, 1 DROP and its not longer legal to carry.

Or even so much as having a gun in your car (even if its encased and unloaded) is a Felony if you were to drive up to the post office. Or a hospital.

I just completely my course a couple months ago so I'm fairly familiar with the laws (in my state at least)

@papinacho: ...Yeah. He wasn't instigating anything, he was clear and concise with his points. He was in his rights to ask why he was being detained and told them they needed a better reason. They never gave one.

His tone didn't bother me either.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fallschirmjager: It appeared at very least to me, that he engineered the situation to make a video that made the police look stupid. His patronizing tone is a bit more obvious. If you don't hear it, that its valid opinion but I am just explaining why people might take offense to the person.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: I heard him patronizing. But (without knowing Texas law) he was right. And if the cop wasn't so be it. As I said...its arrogant but so?

I can't say if the video was set up for that, as the cop is all ready in contact with him when the conversation goes down. We really don't know how he was approached, what he was doing or anything.

As for me, I'm not that sensitive and wouldn't be offended by how he was talking. Moreover, if I'm in the right and they're in the wrong, I'd probably be doing the exact same thing.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

@cuddlebear said:

There you go. The public servant was being the bad guy not the law student.

Also, people carry around weapons in public because they can and should. Read the Constitution.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CuddleBear

@cuddlebear said:

Also, people carry around weapons in public because they can and should. Read the Constitution.

they could care less about the constitution. they would rather feel safe by having big brother watch over them.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad I live in a country where civilians aren't allowed to own firearms. If they are, its not in my state.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they could care less about the constitution. they would rather feel safe by having big brother watch over them.

You guys are so funny.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They both seem fairly arrogant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CuddleBear

@dabee said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

@cuddlebear said:

You guys are so funny.

mmmmmm scoff scoff

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mmmmmm scoff scoff

Yeah, but I'm right.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear: Snarf all you want, because I'm right. (Which means you're wrong.)

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kgb725

He wasn't being a dick I would film all my interactions also. If a man wants to have protection I don't think he should be harrassed because of it

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ Dabee, That is true about him being an ass, but then that's not against the law. The cop was being a pompous chode as well, trying to make up reasons "for keeping the gun" then once the student owned him with how the law works where they are, the cop gave him his gun back...

@kgb725 said:

He wasn't being a dick I would film all my interactions also. If a man wants to have protection I don't think he should be harrassed because of it

Good point. The vid proves three things. A. The cop didn't know what he was talking about B. The law student did C. The cop had an arrogant attitude, so I can understand the kids defensive one. He simply knew what he was talking about.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

@cuddlebear: Snarf all you want, because I'm right. (Which means you're wrong.)

narp

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TazzMission

@kgb725 said:

im against all forms of corrupt cops but if 2nd ammendment gun owners want to have concealed or even open carry they have to accept they will be stopped based on caution. you cant just have people walk around with a gun on there hip and think hey that guy isnt suspect and not think anything of it. its human nature to be afraid. you dont know everyone or you cant read minds.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vaeternus

That's true about caution but they have to also understand they can't take people's guns away for the sake of such if they have them legally, and abide by the laws in that state.

I wonder how many people carry knives around and people don't know it....yet aren't stopped. lol

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's true about caution but they have to also understand they can't take people's guns away for the sake of such if they have them legally, and abide by the laws in that state.

I wonder how many people carry knives around and people don't know it....yet aren't stopped. lol

well with knives legally they have to be a specific length in order to carry. i forget what it is but if your going to walk around town with a machette my money is on that person will get stopped. plus nowadays with how people are in regards to all these shootings it takes one person to ruin it for everybody because if that person becomes paranoid and makes a mistake game over for the whole conceal carry argument. no matter how we all look at it it is a no win scenario for both pro gun and anti gun groups

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: Yeah, where I live 4 inch the max(I'm in NYC) other places larger and smaller lengths. Depends where you are. I have never seen or heard anyone carry a machette though lol. Unless maybe a farm? I'm trying to recall if I have. In a large city or populated area though, probably not a good idea lol.

But I hear what you're saying, I think some states have the Predator 2 Train scene mentality(pro gun states) while others like (anti gun states) will have more paranoid people since they aren't armed.