Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Young student union activists have asked other conference delegates to wave with 'jazz hands' instead of clapping or cheering speakers in case it 'triggers anxiety' among nervous members.

Hundreds were asked to wave in silence because other people found 'whooping' to be 'super inaccessible'.

The request was made at the National Union of Students' annual Women's Conference in Solihull, West Midlands, which started yesterday.

NUS Women's Campaign tweeted: 'Whooping is fun for some, but can be super inaccessible for others, so please try not to whoop! Jazz hands work just as well.'

They then followed that with: 'Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping, as it's triggering anxiety. Please be mindful! #nuswomen15'.

Critics have said the messages had 'damaged feminism'.

Tara Hewitt tweeted: 'This damages real equality nothing from conference will make a difference today but "jazz hands" nonsense damaged feminism'.

Others lampooned the instructions online.

@JLat55 tweeted: 'Open palms can be triggering. Well, so can closed ones... you should just ban any outward expression of approval.'

The suggestions got more ridiculous and ironic with @BookGeek-T tweeting: '@nuswomcam @Little-G2 hi, jazz hands can be triggering because of the quick movement of the hands. I vote blinking rapidly instead. Thanks'.

Despite the jokes the NUS has said that it is important that they are inclusive.

Nona Buckley-Irvine, General secretary at the London School of Economics Students' Union, said: 'Jazz hands are used throughout NUS in place of clapping as a way to show appreciation of someone's point without interrupting or causing disturbance, as it can create anxiety.

'I'm relatively new to this and it did feel odd at first, but once you've used jazz hands a couple of times it becomes a genuinely nice way to show solidarity with a point and it does add to creating a more inclusive atmosphere.'

LSE SU women's officer Gee Linford-Grayson added: 'As someone who is new to the NUS conference culture it surprised me at first, but actually within a few rounds of jazz hands applause it began to make a lot of sense, as loud clapping and whooping can be intimidating and distracting when you're speaking on stage.

'Plus who doesn't like jazz hands?!'

The annual event decides the female issues for the NUS to campaign on, and elects the campaign's representatives.

An NUS spokesperson said: 'The request was made by some delegates attending the conference.

'We strive to make NUS events accessible and enjoyable for all, so each request is considered.'

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CBR takes over the world...

is there a superhero called "whiney-butt"?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I used to jazz hand all the time in Highschool....... Walls were thin so......

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By deathstroke52

Next thing you know, talking will be frowned upon because it can cause anxiety.

Nice use of Smallville meme BTW.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drawing will be disallowed in comics because it'll make untalented scribble-making untalented SJW "web artists" uncomfortable being reminded of their own lack of any ability at all.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, wut did I just read?

No Caption Provided

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Next thing you know, talking will be frowned upon because it can cause anxiety.

Nice use of Smallville meme BTW.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

LOLOLOOOOOL.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not try other alternative gestures as well?

Loading Video...
Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

and they still question why people hate them?

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, wut did I just read?

No Caption Provided

you read a reaction to people who can't draw more than squiggles getting offended that they can't claim to draw comics such as the image you included in your post. *weg*

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been done.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Isn't this the same topic that got locked yesterday ?

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JetiiMitra: No, I'm just someone who bothers to watch Oscar Nominated movies, starring people who actually USED that line (Oscar award winner). It's not that I am weird; you are culturally LAZY and insulated.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jugjugbanks said:

@JetiiMitra: No, I'm just someone who bothers to watch Oscar Nominated movies, starring people who actually USED that line (Oscar award winner). It's not that I am weird; you are culturally LAZY and insulated.

This doesn't make any sense.

No Caption Provided

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and when you and Jetii do anything that actually MATTERS, like saving someone's life (I have) , creating a new character for one of the Big Two (I have), what you both said above will matter to me.

Until then, until you do, the comments are of the same worth as an ant on a picnic cloth.

The point stands that aside from a stray PC whine masquerading as "this thread has been done before"complaint, people are happy to mock this idiotic, absurd politically Correct self-caricature, and nobody gives a piece of human physical waste destined to enter the sewer system if any whineybutt has a problem with it.

I am sure THAT makes sense.

And when either of you actually ACHIEVE anything, whinging at me will make sense.

Until then, no.

meanwhile, a$$wanks pretending that this jazz-hands fr!g-fest "mean" anything will soon find they are as socially relevant as rich white boys with dreadlocks banging on the bongos (and sucking the bongs) at wankfests such as Burning Man.

In otherwords, nothing more than an internet joke.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and when you and Jetii do anything that actually MATTERS, like saving someone's life (I have) , creating a new character for one of the Big Two (I have), what you both said above will matter to me.

Until then, until you do, the comments are of the same worth as an ant on a picnic cloth.

The point stands that aside from a stray PC whine masquerading as "this thread has been done before"complaint, people are happy to mock this idiotic, absurd politically Correct self-caricature, and nobody gives a piece of human physical waste destined to enter the sewer system if any whineybutt has a problem with it.

And when either of you actually ACHIEVE anything, whinging at me will make sense.

Until then, no.

meanwhile, a$$wanks pretending that this jazz-hands fr!g-fest "mean" anything will soon find they are as socially relevant as rich white boys with dreadlocks banging on the bongos (and sucking the bongs) at wankfests such as Burning Man.

No Caption Provided

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Because clapping sounds exactly like a slap. -_-

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#29 frozen  Moderator

Why was my thread even locked?

Keep in mind, this is the same Feminist campaign which refused to condemn the evil and misogynistic ISIS.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I find jazz hands scarier. And pom poms. Both are usually accompanied by high kicks.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

??????????????

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until then, no.

Umadbro?

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Until then, no.

No Caption Provided

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until then, no.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until then, no.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until then, no.

No Caption Provided

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

first i was like
first i was like
then i was like
then i was like
and finally i was like
and finally i was like

The_Roman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EVERYTHING IS TRIGGERING

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have mega anxiety and clapping doesn't really faze me. I mean loud noises sometimes set me off but as long as I know where they're coming from I'm generally fine. I can't speak for everyone of course but still. It seems rather strange.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nefarious

I fail to see how clapping can trigger anxiety when many people do it in churches and meetings. :/

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ScouterV

@ms-lola said:

I find jazz hands scarier. And pom poms. Both are usually accompanied by high kicks.

As a cheerleader, I find this statement hilarious and true.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Why was my thread even locked?

Keep in mind, this is the same Feminist campaign which refused to condemn the evil and misogynistic ISIS.

No use of the F word in the title.

@ms-lola said:

No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

If someone thinks clapping is scary, just wait till they get a look at Jazz Hands Chewie here:

No Caption Provided