How to be better than Shakespeare?

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, hypothetical (but really not hypothetical at all and hopefully not heretical enough to be torn asunder), what do you think one would have to do to be a better writer than Shakespeare (literary-wise, culturally, socially, the whole deal)? Do you think it's even possible in this day and age, and, if so, what things do you think a 21st century writer would have to work on/do?

Nerise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have someone else write and claim it as your own

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do not talk/write like a ponce ;).

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zer0-X

@nerise said:

Have someone else write and claim it as your own

@flumox56 said:

Do not talk/write like a ponce ;).

Yes, yes. Mhm, mhm... I see, yes. Well, thank you, gentleman, for your input but I was looking for something a little more... nuanced.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zer0-x: In all seriousness, I do not think it possible. Shakespeare becomes more revered and celebrated with each passing year. So I would imagine if it is possible, You or some other author would not attain the title of being Shakespeare's equal or even his superior (In the literacy sense) in the mind of the public and society as a whole in your lifetime. Your regard would probably grow over many many years after death, as many artists, authors and musicians etc,, stock seems to grow after they have passed.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: Well, that makes sense. But would you think it would be possible to touch his level regardless? Like, is it possible to just be a better writer than he is?

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flumox56

@zer0-x: Anything is possible. well anything besides the Impossible.

**Edit** - Plus it is subjective to the Individual. The Beatles are considered by many to be the best band of all time. Yet some dislike there music or just do not rate them as highly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

If someone were to surpass Shakespeare as a literary genius, I doubt it would happen in this century.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Zetsu-San

People like the idea of Shakespear more than they actually like his work. Liking things simply because they are older and have established major tropes is considered by society to be the "correct" opinion. Most people don't even understand Shakespear's work. Just look at the sheer number of teen romance novels that reference Romeo and Juliet as some kind of epic love without realizing that the whole point of it was to be a satire on the teen romance genre.

To answer your question, one day in the far off future; someone from this time will probably have replaced Shakespear.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VashtaNerada88

No, not in any ones given lifetime.

Shakespeare's plays are preformed on stage and taught in schools/universities around the globe, and have been for hundreds of years.

And even hundreds of years after his death, words Shakespeare has coined like Swagger & bedazzled are still used today because we can't think of a better way to sound cool when describing showing confidence/style.

Shakespeare was really something extraordinary with words, like Einstein with science or Beethoven with music.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

People like the idea of Shakespear more than they actually like his work. Liking things simply because they are older and have established major tropes is considered by society to be the "correct" opinion. Most people don't even understand Shakespear's work. Just look at the sheer number of teen romance novels that reference Romeo and Juliet as some kind of epic love without realizing that the whole point of it was to be a satire on the teen romance genre.

To answer your question, one day in the far off future; someone from this time will probably have replaced Shakespear.

That always gets a chuckle out of me.

Abhartach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not writing dialogue in metaphors.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343: I have, but it didn't seem arrogant. Isn't that about marriage? (Unless I'm just being incredibly slow, which happens)

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not writing dialogue in metaphors.

Where's the fun in that? Befuddling people is the best!

Abhartach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zer0-x: It may be fun but it leads to people thinking Romeo and Juliet is a love story and Macbeth is about human nature when it is propaganda.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abhartach: Fair enough, but I'd never dumb down the potency of a language just for that. People should try to understand a little harder, so long as I'm not being a douche with the metaphors or anything.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think you could. Like him or not, he had a bigger impact on literature than almost anyone else in history; it's difficult to even imagine how someone else could even be close to as successful as him.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need a Muse.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

@renchamp said:

The problem with this goal is that there are way too many things that Shakespeare did so incredibly well. Stories within stories, turns of phrases, charming dialogue, meter, social consciousness, balance between levity and drama, memorable characters, new words, and the list goes on and on.

I would simply try to write as only you can. Dickens was not better than Shakespeare, but he is legendary in his own right and for his own style.

Pretty much, this.

Write using your style and be damn good with it.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zer0-X

@leo-343: Well, damn. I'm guessing you're referring to the closing couplet here?

If this be error and upon me prov'd,

I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fewer penis jokes.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343: Ehh, I don't really see that as arrogant. In my opinion, it just seems like his opinion, something he believes strongly. Or, he could be speaking through the voice of a character. We don't really know for certain if his sonnets are a biography or pure self-thought expression after all.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>be Tolkien

;^)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That window closed a long time ago.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By GIliad_

I never liked Dickens all that much, something about his style never intrigued me

KingHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I write.

My goal isn't to write like Shakespeare. It is to write like and have it be as good as I can. You should do the same if you write OP!

Now....can someone surpass Shakespeare?

You might be able to make an argument that there are folks who are superior to him on pure writing standards, but that depends on how you view good prose. I'm sure there are plenty say James Joyce is a better writer language-wise than The Bard.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't because most of the things you write about all circulates back to him

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kinghype: I just think our goals differ, it seems! No disrespect to you or your goals, but if it is in any way possible to perform such a feat, it would be quite appealable to chase after it, as it seems quite worthy for many reasons. That's just my opinion though, friend.