Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@Nelomaxwell said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Black history month? What month is white history month and Chinese history month and Japanese history month and Mexican history month etc?

I'm almost positive that March is Hispanic Heritage month.

Really?

Uhh

Someone needs a lesson in cultural competency.

How so exactly?

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@mrdecepticonleader
You were not aware of the various heritage months which have been common knowledge for some time now. also White history month is everyday it's called western civ.
Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nelomaxwell said:

@mrdecepticonleader: You were not aware of the various heritage months which have been common knowledge for some time now. also White history month is everyday it's called western civ.

They are really of no significance to me.They are not important (not important to me at least anyway) so they weren't really worth knowing about.

I don't understand what the fascination is with nationalizing history.History is color blind as far as I am concerned.

And I mean how much actual history do people learn about in these months?

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@mrdecepticonleader: If you looked at my book list up there and did some research maybe you could learn a lot.  It's a little more effort than opening a comic book but it answers your question.
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nelomaxwell said:

@mrdecepticonleader: If you looked at my book list up there and did some research maybe you could learn a lot. It's a little more effort than opening a comic book but it answers your question.

Do you mean more about history or why months are named with certain histories?

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By mikethekiller

This thread might just be an example of why we still need heritage months.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Vance Astro said:

Black history month? What month is white history month and Chinese history month and Japanese history month and Mexican history month etc?

Chinese & Japanese is Asian, and Mexican is Hispanic we have a history month for Asians and Hispanic people. National Hispanic History Month is actually between two months. It's from September 15 to October 15th Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month is in May

The month of May is also the Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month. : )

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Vance Astro said:

Giving a month a name doesn't make anything anymore valuable.

That's my point, it's no different than half the holidays we celebrate. Naming a day after a person or an event that happened that day doesn't matter, it's just an excuse to have parties and not go to work. I don't always have to hear why Valentine's Day or St.Patrick's Day, or Colombus Day is pointless so why always Black History Month?

Well I think alot of those you mentioned are just as pointless.

Though those are days you mentioned an entire month is a bit much.

we also work on holidays and we like holidays because you get a doublepay sometimes

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@mrdecepticonleader: Both.

@jhazzroucher
SMDH
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

Chinese & Japanese is Asian, and Mexican is Hispanic we have a history month for Asians and Hispanic people. National Hispanic History Month is actually between two months. It's from September 15 to October 15th Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month is in May

Isn't that all year round for you?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By SmoothJammin

Can I celebrate Black History too :D

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By jhazzroucher

@jhazzroucher said:

@Vance Astro said:

Isn't that all year round for you?

buwahahahaha. Nice one. : )

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By jhazzroucher

@SmoothJammin said:

Can I celebrate Black History too :D

of course you can. : )

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By TotalBalance

I wasn't aware black history month was something to be "celebrated" at least in Canada it is treated more like an educational event to remind people of what used to go on, and give ourselves a pat on the back for helping to smuggle slaves out of America.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By jhazzroucher

February is the Black Month.

by monday or tuesday, i am planning to print a shirt stating February is Black History Month

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By kuonphobos

Interesting how this thread has developed.

I think there is a significant difference between race and culture. The popular mantra in today's Western society is basically the abolishment of distinctions based upon race but is that the same thing as the abolishment of distinctions based upon culture?

One's culture is something that should be preserved from the forces of amalgamation IMO. So I personally don't see various expressions of cultural heritage as a "racist/racial" issue. For example: in Brazil there are many people of African racial heritage who for all intents and purposes are culturally not very different from their Portugese- descended fellow countrymen. Even the religious expression of Candomble and the martial art Capoeira demonstrate how merged the "African" and the "Portugese" cultures are. Another example would be the "Afro-Cuban" culture which has given all of us such wonderful cultural gifts of music and food.

I think "Black History Month" is a way for ALL Americans to learn about the contributions that African-American's have made to the development of the USA in all fields of life. It is a way for us learn that African-Americans have contributed much much more to our society than merely the sports and entertainment industry. In that regard it is a moment ALL Americans can benifit from and participate in.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By pooty

White people have every month of the year. It's just not called "white people month" because everybody knows the deal. I think bringing attention to every culture in America is fine. We celebrate "unimportant" events like birthdays, anniversaries, Halloween etc. LET EVERY CULTURE REJOICE IN THEMSELVES!!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#120  Edited By cameron83

@pooty said:

White people have every month of the year. It's just not called "white people month" because everybody knows the deal. I think bringing attention to every culture in America is fine. We celebrate "unimportant" events like birthdays, anniversaries, Halloween etc. LET EVERY CULTURE REJOICE IN THEMSELVES!!

how are birthdays and anniversaries unimportant?

And some holidays are celebrations of/to other cultures.

And this is kinda what I meant by people needing to see past race.It shouldn't be significant (that doesn't mean you cannot celebrate or be proud of your heritage/culture).

And white people have every other month of the year?

This is exactly what I meant.This is why race shouldn't be significant at all.

In history class,if all you've learned (and I'm not specifically talking to you) was "the history of white people",rather than the history of the US and how we've broken free from British monarchy and how we've gotten to this point and the forming of our government

If all you fixate upon is race,then I find that pathetic and ignorant.Which is why I don't give a damn what race you are.Which is why race is insignificant to me.But I agree to this part:

LET EVERY CULTURE REJOICE IN THEMSELVES!!

I don't have a problem with this,but if someone pretends that they are special or more important than another because of racial difference,then I would be annoyed.

@kuonphobos said:

I think there is a significant difference between race and culture. The popular mantra in today's Western society is basically the abolishment of distinctions based upon race but is that the same thing as the abolishment of distinctions based upon culture?

One's culture is something that should be preserved from the forces of amalgamation IMO. So I personally don't see various expressions of cultural heritage as a "racist/racial" issue. For example: in Brazil there are many people of African racial heritage who for all intents and purposes are culturally not very different from their Portugese- descended fellow countrymen. Even the religious expression of Candomble and the martial art Capoeira demonstrate how merged the "African" and the "Portugese" cultures are. Another example would be the "Afro-Cuban" culture which has given all of us such wonderful cultural gifts of music and food.

I think "Black History Month" is a way for ALL Americans to learn about the contributions that African-American's have made to the development of the USA in all fields of life. It is a way for us learn that African-Americans have contributed much much more to our society than merely the sports and entertainment industry. In that regard it is a moment ALL Americans can benifit from and participate in.

I agree,the two are not the same.But again,I'm apathetic towards race and racial issues.I mean seriously,if people are honestly fixating towards race,then I think that I'll give up sooner on society.Race shouldn't be important at all.

Anyway,happy Black History Month everyone!

But seriously,people need to stop being idiots sometimes and see past race.

I guess I will expect to see you all for Spanish Heritage Month,correct?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By pooty

@cameron83: how are birthdays and anniversaries unimportant?

They are not needed. Birthdays and anniversaries only celebrate you personally. If it is arrogant to celebrate an entire culture then it is really arrogant to only celebrate yourself. People feel that their birthday is all about them. An anniversary is "our special day". On those days you feel you're special. If you don't see a need for honoring people, then lets get rid of them all.

I see no problem with that.

And this is kinda what I meant by people needing to see past race.It shouldn't be significant

I don't buy all that color blind stuff. No one is truly color blind. Nothing wrong with seeing race or culture if you do it in a positive way... like a holiday.

Yes. We make all the important nation changing decisions. Own the vast majority of business, media and wealth. Even the Obama can't move unless a white person let's him.

Again, if race shouldn't be important neither should your birthday or anniversary. They are not significant celebrations either.

If all you fixate upon is race,then I find that pathetic and ignorant

It's not all we fixate on. During Black History month you learn a few lessor known facts about them and give them credit when otherwise they would have been forgotten.

Which is why I don't give a damn what race you are

Im in the US. No one can truly say they don't give a damn about race. You notice race just like you notice how tall a person is. and just because you notice it does not mean it's negative.

but if someone pretends that they are special or more important than another because of racial difference,then I would be annoyed.

Not once during black history month or hispanic month have i EVER heard them say they are better then anyone else. That is not the point of the holiday.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By cameron83

@pooty said:

@cameron83:

They are not needed. Birthdays and anniversaries only celebrate you personally. If it is arrogant to celebrate an entire culture then it is really arrogant to only celebrate yourself. People feel that their birthday is all about them. An anniversary is "our special day". On those days you feel you're special. If you don't see a need for honoring people, then lets get rid of them all.

I see no problem with that.

And this is kinda what I meant by people needing to see past race.It shouldn't be significant

I don't buy all that color blind stuff. No one is truly color blind. Nothing wrong with seeing race or culture if you do it in a positive way... like a holiday.

Yes. We make all the important nation changing decisions. Own the vast majority of business, media and wealth. Even the Obama can't move unless a white person let's him.

Again, if race shouldn't be important neither should your birthday or anniversary. They are not significant celebrations either.

If all you fixate upon is race,then I find that pathetic and ignorant

It's not all we fixate on. During Black History month you learn a few lessor known facts about them and give them credit when otherwise they would have been forgotten.

Which is why I don't give a damn what race you are

Im in the US. No one can truly say they don't give a damn about race. You notice race just like you notice how tall a person is. and just because you notice it does not mean it's negative.

but if someone pretends that they are special or more important than another because of racial difference,then I would be annoyed.

Not once during black history month or hispanic month have i EVER heard them say they are better then anyone else. That is not the point of the holiday.

Ok....here we go again.

So in every anniversary,people only feel the need for themselves...not "our" anniversary,in every case it's "my" anniversary?

Second of all,when I was saying "you",I hope you realize I wasn't talking about you,that goes without saying since I specifically said that In my post.

And did I say that it was arrogant to celebrate an entire culture,I thought I said in my post that It's okay to celebrate and be proud of your culture.And I see no problem in celebrating an entire culture.I really hate when people choose not to read.So Again,why can't people celebrate their birth/anniversary.It's tradition anyway.

I don't get what you mean.Are you trying to say that I am not who I describe,even though you have no idea who I am.What are you saying?

And what do you mean,in a positive way.Are you saying that every person I see I should be proud of for them having been born a certain way?

I don't treat them any more or less for their race/culture.I treat them just as I treat everyone else,and judge my feelings on them for personality,not race.

This is the most........I can't even...I didn't vote for Obama because he was black,I voted for him because of the things he said.And any president cannot move because he doesn't have complete power.And I don't fixate on his race,that has NOTHING to do with anything.And what do you mean "we make all the important nation changing decisions".Obama is the president,and not everyone in society is white.And who the f*ck cares about that other stuff,there are spanish people who own businesses,black people who do,etc.This post is one of the dumbest things I heard in my life.Not everyone in society is white,every voter is not white,and owning a business,etc has nothing to do with your freaking race!! And the reason Obama has limited power has NOTHING to do with being Black,and........AGH,I can't even handle that post.That just seems like the most ignorant thing I read (no offense,but I probably read it wrong).

Actually,that depends on what someone means when they say they don't give a damn.When I,and people in general (usually) say that,they mean that it doesn't change their perception on the person.And noticing something doesn't mean that changes your perception on them.A persons race doesn't affect my opinion on them.

Again,I don't know how to take this.Race should NOT be important,are you saying that I should treat someone or myself differently because of racial differences than others?

I am not going to treat someone differently than I would an average person,or change my opinion on them just because they are of a different race.I don't know how to take these posts,and maybe I am reading them wrong.But I don't treat my Asian friends any different than my white friends,or black friends,etc...I don't really categorize them by race either,It's something different,which you or anyone wouldn't understand because its only something that friends can understand.But I don't treat them any more or less because of their race,religion,creed,etc.I don't treat my muslim friends any different than my christian friends any different from my atheist friends.Their race is not important to me just as their religion is not important to me.

not talking to you,I am talking to people in general.And honestly,you fixate on race?

I know what you do in Black History Month.And what are you talking about lesser known?

Because comparing people like George Washington to Frederick Mckinley Jones is two different things.And I hope your not saying that the reason that the facts are lesser known is because of race,I REALLY HOPE YOUR NOT SAYING THAT!

I know you probably aren't......but hell,I don't even know who invented this computer that I am typing on,yet I know who George Washington Carver was and what he did.

I know that's not the point of the holiday,that was sorta one of my points (I think implied,not really explicitly stated.That is sorta why I assume many people have enough common sense to realize that.And I am not talking about you or anyone I spoke to on this thread).Thank you for following along.

And I hope you realize that I was not talking about or even implying black people or hispanic people.I am talking about people in general.Which is why I said people. Not black people,spanish people,white people,etc....people.

And there are actually people who do hold treat themselves or other people higher (or differently,not necessarily higher) because of race,and I have met MANY of those people,many people have met those people (but I don't necessarily have to know them personally to know that they exist.I don't have to know a KKK member personally to know that they exist).And again,I am apathetic towards race.I am not going to treat anyone differently because of their race.I have friends of many different nationalities,ethnicites,etc.....I don't treat my Asian friends any differently than my Black friends.Sure I do notice their race,but it doesn't change my opinions and feelings towards them.For you,if that is how you feel,that is your opinion,but not mine.

By the way,I hope my post didn't come off rude to you,because sometimes even I read my post and think it comes off as rude.Maybe the middle one,but that is because many thoughts were racing at once and formi-.....you know what,I already stated that before like 5 times in my other posts.And by the way,the entire post to which you replied was not directed towards you or your post at all.The only one directed towards you was this:

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By Blood1991

My opinions on cultural months like Black history month is very positive. American History almost focuses entirely on white men up until suffrage and the Civil Rights movement so taking time to explore people who shaped the nation, but are so often side lined in the pages of text books is important to recognizing the diversity that makes the United States such a great country in the first place.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By jhazzroucher

@kuonphobos said:

I agree with you. : )

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Eternal19

@cameron83 said:

@White Mage said:

@cameron83:

Well,I would mainly say that you don't really have to worry (as much) about this problem.I mean,even though that was true,and sorta is today,you can't really force people to like something that they are not interested in.A girl I know prefers black boys over white boys,does this mean that she is racist?

No, it doesn't mean that she is racist, and my statement actually never meant to imply that she should be viewed as racist. I feel that you, and others should already know that I'm not saying that you guys are racist because certain features don't get you turned on

People of color are still behind as far as equal representation, and this is something that's pretty obvious to just about anyone who picks up a magazine, or watches a tv show. I'm speaking of equal representation.

Or does this mean that she just has a certain taste like the rest of society.While they kinda still do what you say,you don't really have to worry about it.And about the pride of racial features,can't other people have pride in their own features,because not everyone looks like this

"Don't have to worry about it"? Yes, actually, we DO. Because it's still going on. Just because an issue is no longer as intense as it used to be, doesn't mean that it stops being relevant. For instance, Kerry Washington is the first black woman in decades to be lead in a network drama. Why is this just now happening? Ish like this is important to me. And just because more people are starting to open their minds, doesn't mean that we've finally reached racial utopia.

Also,not every black person looks like this,especially me.But just asking,what about other races.Are you saying pride in ONLY said features(a),or pride in EVERYONES features(b).

I think you know full well what I'm saying. "YES! DEMONIZED THE LIGHT SKINNEDS!"

I know not all black people have these features, though they are VERY common within our race....and those features are frequently looked upon as "less" (especially when they happen all at once) when compared to the other features of straight hair, more caucasian noses, and light skin. If you're black, then I expect that you know this as well. OBVIOUSLY other races should also get more representation, but I'm not specifically "standing up" for them at the moment. I'm speaking primarily about black people in today's media. How does black people having pride in their culture and appearance stop other people from doing the same? It doesn't.

But I think you might be exaggerating just a bit.Based on American culture today,I would largely disagree.Although,not saying it's wrong,to an extent it still is true,but race just isn't really something you have to worry about today.People won't really treat you anymore or any less than others for being black,or spanish,or white,etc....

..................Racism and hate dying down DOES NOT mean that representation is fair....

ok,got it...just wanted a bit more of an understanding as to what you were saying...now can you guys just PM me after this post,because this is not what this thread is about.

When I meant that we don't really have to worry about it,I meant that for a number of reasons:

-One would be that there are far more issues that are more important than Race.While race still does seem to be an issue,it isn't really as intense,like you said.And I understand that representation is not fair for many races,which is true,but tell me of what you mean by representation.Because some people may say that it's fair,and others may not.Race is still an issue,but what are you going to do...hunt down and kill all who are racist.Racism is basically universal,and unfortunately it will always be here.We will never reach this "racial utopia",and lets say we could and did,how would that solve any other problems.And again,those featuers are looked down upon by many,but I don't see them looked upon as "less" by anyone I know personally or any show that I've watched.Although it is true (I don't have to experience it for it to be true),I've only known 1 example of that:In modeling,sometimes they choose african american women with caucasian features.So what you're saying isn't wrong,but I hope you're not saying that it's a first priority type of thing.Can you also give me what you are trying to say,because again,my mind is in a fog and people are misunderstanding what I am saying.

To just summarize what I can:

-Race is not a big issue anymore,especially with other issues rising in it's place.

-What you're saying is not wrong,but again,not a huge issue.People of color still are being misrepresented,and certain features are preferred over others.But it's not just black features.But as you said,you already know that racism isn't limited to black people.

-Different things are important to different people,just because race is not a huge issue,doesn't mean that it can't really be dealt with,and doesn't mean people can't be interested in it.But I hate when people push it up as the most important thing in the world.

-I am really going to be pissed if I have to be incredibly specific just for people to see what I am saying.

-And what do you mean representation is fair,I would have to agree.On some black shows I've seen,they have been incredibly racist towards spanish people,asian people,white people,etc.

On some shows (I forget which,but I won't forget) they misrepresent black people.Sometimes it's just a little joke and I overreact,and other times it is misrepresentation,but everyone draws the line differently.And something that people should do is have a high tolerance level.I mean really,stressing yourself over racism to be completely depleted is a waste of time.But yes,there is racial misrepresentation.

And there are famous comic book characters like Storm,Black Panther,Midnighter (not racial,but sexual orientation)...

But you see my point,what would you worrying about this do.You already know the truth,you've seen history,to me,it's just a bit of a waste of my time.Especially in these days.It's just the least of my worries,especially because I have never been racially discriminated,and people that I've seen who discriminate others are often looked down upon by society.I know that race has nothing really to do with how you act,there is no defined trait for any race.

But there are far more issues,like persecution of homosexuals,the religious and nonreligious,etc.

But at first,I just assumed that you were pushing the idea that race was the most important issue,or that racism only occured with african americans......because that was sorta what got me ticked off.Especially when,to put it short on what I think,race is not important to me.It shouldn't be for anyone else,because to be racist is simply illogical.

Now please,PM me or something,and this goes without saying,but please read carefully as to what I said.Because to be frank,I am getting frustrated with people misunderstanding what I am saying,and I was not joking when I said I had complex thoughts on this.I'm not writing this essay for my health

Race has always been and always will be a big issue in america. A country whose culture and history is so dipped in the cup of hatred and bigotry will always have racial issues

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Eternal19

In american schools most of the time is spent devoted to white american history and a lot of young black americans dont know thier own history. Im for heritage months because it gives people a chance to learn more about thier history. THIER IS NOTHING WRONG ABOUT BEING PROUD ABOUT YOUR CULTURE unless you take to the extreme.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#127  Edited By FalconPuuunch

My thoughts exactly, however I do think there is a Hispanic "Heritage" month. Either way I see your point and agree with it.

Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#128  Edited By Big_Nasty

Black History Month, The shortest month of the year. But still great anyway.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Blood1991 said:

My opinions on cultural months like Black history month is very positive. American History almost focuses entirely on white men up until suffrage and the Civil Rights movement so taking time to explore people who shaped the nation, but are so often side lined in the pages of text books is important to recognizing the diversity that makes the United States such a great country in the first place.

Yes

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@kuonphobos said:

And more yes

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eternal19: American history is focused on Americans. The reason that colonial history doesn't mention as many African Americans is that they were not shaping America at that time. I don't get this whole African American/ White culture thing. I think a more correct term is American culture. America is a melting pot, a combination of all races and cultures. The thing I am trying to say is African American culture IS American Culture.

If we keep making distinctions between the races racism will never cease to exist.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By cameron83

@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

@Eternal19: American history is focused on Americans. The reason that colonial history doesn't mention as many African Americans is that they were not shaping America at that time. I don't get this whole African American/ White culture thing. I think a more correct term is American culture. America is a melting pot, a combination of all races and cultures. The thing I am trying to say is African American culture IS American Culture.

If we keep making distinctions between the races racism will never cease to exist.

THANK FRICKING YOU!!!!

THIS!!!!

EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING!!!

I mean,it's kinda like asking "why aren't there any/much asians in colonial history,why is it only about white dudes!"

BECAUSE THE HISTORY OF THE US IS ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE US AND WHO DID WHAT!!

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FRICKING RACE!

We learn about AMERICAN history,not WHITE HISTORY or whatever people want to call it.IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY AFRICAN AMERICANS HELPED SHAPED THE US (well actually to some that is important.But again,to me that is not important.Their great number of efforts shouldn't really determine anything.This great land wasn't founded upon whoever contributes can stay,whoever doesn't must leave)! They are counted as AMERICANS in AMERICAN HISTORY! Although it doesn't hurt at all to note their successes,especially in a time where they had limited room to breathe (just like with women,and I think that even extends far before colonial times),but everyone is missing the point of AMERICAN HISTORY! THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES!

How and What Americans did to shape this country to what it is today.They don't do racial differences and say WHITE HISTORY HERE,BLACK HISTORY HERE.Because I am pretty sure that doing that would be pointless,it doesn't really matter what you're race is,you're counted as an AMERICAN in AMERICAN history.

And btw,can we stop putting racial barriers on everything....because some people don't actually count

So..LET'S stop putting a barrier on everything,and AT LEAST respect the efforts and heartbreaking trials that people before us had to go through to get us to here.RACE should NOT matter,and SHOULDN'T be an issue (yes,I am aware that it is still an issue,and depending on perspective,a big issue to some.But I think that it should not be an issue,to anyone that does think it should be an issue,society has moved on since the 1960s.To me,I see some people far too paranoid and bias where they can't see past race because they are still a bit close-minded.And yes,I have to be directly explicit,because again,some people don't have enough common sense,or sometimes it's just a mistake that all of us humans make,called a misunderstanding).

Thank you VercingetorixTheGreat,and everyone,this is a comment between me thanking VercingetorixTheGreat,and my own rambling.This is not directed towards anyone in particular (didn't think that I'd have to explicitly state everything,especially some things that go without saying,but some people think that everything is directed towards/focused towards them).

@Eternal19 said:

@cameron83 said:

@White Mage said:

@cameron83:

Well,I would mainly say that you don't really have to worry (as much) about this problem.I mean,even though that was true,and sorta is today,you can't really force people to like something that they are not interested in.A girl I know prefers black boys over white boys,does this mean that she is racist?

No, it doesn't mean that she is racist, and my statement actually never meant to imply that she should be viewed as racist. I feel that you, and others should already know that I'm not saying that you guys are racist because certain features don't get you turned on

People of color are still behind as far as equal representation, and this is something that's pretty obvious to just about anyone who picks up a magazine, or watches a tv show. I'm speaking of equal representation.

Or does this mean that she just has a certain taste like the rest of society.While they kinda still do what you say,you don't really have to worry about it.And about the pride of racial features,can't other people have pride in their own features,because not everyone looks like this

"Don't have to worry about it"? Yes, actually, we DO. Because it's still going on. Just because an issue is no longer as intense as it used to be, doesn't mean that it stops being relevant. For instance, Kerry Washington is the first black woman in decades to be lead in a network drama. Why is this just now happening? Ish like this is important to me. And just because more people are starting to open their minds, doesn't mean that we've finally reached racial utopia.

Also,not every black person looks like this,especially me.But just asking,what about other races.Are you saying pride in ONLY said features(a),or pride in EVERYONES features(b).

I think you know full well what I'm saying. "YES! DEMONIZED THE LIGHT SKINNEDS!"

I know not all black people have these features, though they are VERY common within our race....and those features are frequently looked upon as "less" (especially when they happen all at once) when compared to the other features of straight hair, more caucasian noses, and light skin. If you're black, then I expect that you know this as well. OBVIOUSLY other races should also get more representation, but I'm not specifically "standing up" for them at the moment. I'm speaking primarily about black people in today's media. How does black people having pride in their culture and appearance stop other people from doing the same? It doesn't.

But I think you might be exaggerating just a bit.Based on American culture today,I would largely disagree.Although,not saying it's wrong,to an extent it still is true,but race just isn't really something you have to worry about today.People won't really treat you anymore or any less than others for being black,or spanish,or white,etc....

..................Racism and hate dying down DOES NOT mean that representation is fair....

ok,got it...just wanted a bit more of an understanding as to what you were saying...now can you guys just PM me after this post,because this is not what this thread is about.

When I meant that we don't really have to worry about it,I meant that for a number of reasons:

-One would be that there are far more issues that are more important than Race.While race still does seem to be an issue,it isn't really as intense,like you said.And I understand that representation is not fair for many races,which is true,but tell me of what you mean by representation.Because some people may say that it's fair,and others may not.Race is still an issue,but what are you going to do...hunt down and kill all who are racist.Racism is basically universal,and unfortunately it will always be here.We will never reach this "racial utopia",and lets say we could and did,how would that solve any other problems.And again,those featuers are looked down upon by many,but I don't see them looked upon as "less" by anyone I know personally or any show that I've watched.Although it is true (I don't have to experience it for it to be true),I've only known 1 example of that:In modeling,sometimes they choose african american women with caucasian features.So what you're saying isn't wrong,but I hope you're not saying that it's a first priority type of thing.Can you also give me what you are trying to say,because again,my mind is in a fog and people are misunderstanding what I am saying.

To just summarize what I can:

-Race is not a big issue anymore,especially with other issues rising in it's place.

-What you're saying is not wrong,but again,not a huge issue.People of color still are being misrepresented,and certain features are preferred over others.But it's not just black features.But as you said,you already know that racism isn't limited to black people.

-Different things are important to different people,just because race is not a huge issue,doesn't mean that it can't really be dealt with,and doesn't mean people can't be interested in it.But I hate when people push it up as the most important thing in the world.

-I am really going to be pissed if I have to be incredibly specific just for people to see what I am saying.

-And what do you mean representation is fair,I would have to agree.On some black shows I've seen,they have been incredibly racist towards spanish people,asian people,white people,etc.

On some shows (I forget which,but I won't forget) they misrepresent black people.Sometimes it's just a little joke and I overreact,and other times it is misrepresentation,but everyone draws the line differently.And something that people should do is have a high tolerance level.I mean really,stressing yourself over racism to be completely depleted is a waste of time.But yes,there is racial misrepresentation.

And there are famous comic book characters like Storm,Black Panther,Midnighter (not racial,but sexual orientation)...

But you see my point,what would you worrying about this do.You already know the truth,you've seen history,to me,it's just a bit of a waste of my time.Especially in these days.It's just the least of my worries,especially because I have never been racially discriminated,and people that I've seen who discriminate others are often looked down upon by society.I know that race has nothing really to do with how you act,there is no defined trait for any race.

But there are far more issues,like persecution of homosexuals,the religious and nonreligious,etc.

But at first,I just assumed that you were pushing the idea that race was the most important issue,or that racism only occured with african americans......because that was sorta what got me ticked off.Especially when,to put it short on what I think,race is not important to me.It shouldn't be for anyone else,because to be racist is simply illogical.

Now please,PM me or something,and this goes without saying,but please read carefully as to what I said.Because to be frank,I am getting frustrated with people misunderstanding what I am saying,and I was not joking when I said I had complex thoughts on this.I'm not writing this essay for my health

Race has always been and always will be a big issue in america. A country whose culture and history is so dipped in the cup of hatred and bigotry will always have racial issues

And that is your opinion.It's true to say that it is an issue,but who's to say that Racial issues are more important than Gay rights.Or Atheist/Religious Persecution.Or Issues of War,etc....If It's what you're interested in,fine.And maybe it is a BIG issue,but others don't see it as the way you and I see it,because *gasp* people have.......gulp

DIFFERENT VIEWS AND OPINIONS!!!!

However,the question is if those views are ethical and/or logical.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Blood1991

@cameron83: The issue is we have NO idea how much women and people of other races actually contributed to building early America because History was written by white men. I honestly have a hard time believing that a slave didn't have a good idea that his master stole, or a wife whose husband stole hers. Not only that, but for someone of a different race, or who is woman or both American history seems incredibly exclusive. I understand we all have our opinions, but I still see quite abit of value in recognizing great people who either get a little box in the corner of a history book, or are not mentioned at all.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Eternal19

@VercingetorixTheGreat: no its not its focused on white americans and you know it. I dont know why people are so butthurt about us african americans setting aside a month to celebrate our history. Because they dont teach it in schools and you know it.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Eternal19

@cameron83: What you need to realize is that humanity will always identify themselves as black, white,hispanic,etc. thats just our nature. Nothing can change that. I and many other people think its important to be proud of you race and its history, especially in a society that protrays your race negatively in the media and glorifies being light skinned. So, i see no problem with their being a black history month or hispanic history month or any history month. If you dont like it deal with it.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By jhazzroucher

I am not black but i'm telling my friends it's black history month. : )

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eternal19 said:

@VercingetorixTheGreat: no its not its focused on white americans and you know it. I dont know why people are so butthurt about us african americans setting aside a month to celebrate our history. Because they dont teach it in schools and you know it.

Because how many founding fathers were African American or Asian or Hispanic? Nothing against African Americans or any other race but most of early American history was made by Europeans.

What public school do you go to??? They teach it in public schools.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#138  Edited By Bruxae

Morgan Freeman said it the way it is, stop calling people black or white men/women, and lets all just be .. men. Or women.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Don't whites have history years? Because All through out High School, Elementary, Middle School. That's pretty much who we learned about. I mean there were other things going on in other parts of the world. But mostly. Some white dude or woman would have a part somewhere. lol. Now the indians? You know, the real American's? They should be pissed! You rarely hear anything that isn't associated with Wounded Knee or something similar. The Jewish as well. These are people who were slaughtered. Blacks and Latino's, we complain about slavery (which also was very evil) still had it better then those two sets of people. We were kept alive, fed, ect. They were simply killed.

Also I would like to point out to my brothers and sisters that, what they don't tell you in school is that black's sold each other out. It's not like white people just stormed the shores of Africa snatching up black folk. They were very diplomatic about it. Hell, our people traded us for sh!t.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Guardiandevil83 said:

Don't whites have history years? Because All through out High School, Elementary, Middle School. That's pretty much who we learned about. I mean there were other things going on in other parts of the world. But mostly. Some white dude or woman would have a part somewhere. lol. Now the indians? You know, the real American's? They should be pissed! You rarely hear anything that isn't associated with Wounded Knee or something similar. The Jewish as well. These are people who were slaughtered. Blacks and Latino's, we complain about slavery (which also was very evil) still had it better then those two sets of people. We were kept alive, fed, ect. They were simply killed.

Also I would like to point out to my brothers and sisters that, what they don't tell you in school is that black's sold each other out. It's not like white people just stormed the shores of Africa snatching up black folk. They were very diplomatic about it. Hell, our people traded us for sh!t.

Well maybe that is just your personal experience with school,because when I studied it we where taught various parts of history,including the Native Americans,Martin Luther King and the slave trade and Nazi Germany and the holocaust as well.So again maybe its just your experience with school.And we hear alot about the holocaust and the slave trade (and why shouldn't we) but I don't think we hear enough about what the Native Americans went through,I mean their entire way of life was practically eradicated.

People are people I don't look at a white person and think that is a white person,or look at a black person and think that is a black person etc.I look at a person by who they are,not by what they look like.

I agree that learning about various peoples histories is important,but simply naming months just seems pointless.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By jhazzroucher

I just informed my coworkers about black history month. ; )

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By cameron83

@Eternal19 said:

@cameron83: What you need to realize is that humanity will always identify themselves as black, white,hispanic,etc. thats just our nature. Nothing can change that. I and many other people think its important to be proud of you race and its history, especially in a society that protrays your race negatively in the media and glorifies being light skinned. So, i see no problem with their being a black history month or hispanic history month or any history month. If you dont like it deal with it.

this is exactly what I am talking about,it seems that everyone completely misses the points in my post,and they even say things that I myself say in my posts.

I am aware that humanity will always have some sort of racial barriers,but most of us have moved on.It's 2013,not the 60s and society is moving on and we have far more problems that need to be dealt with.If some people still want to have racial barriers,then too bad,society has moved on.Many people have not.And did I say that it was a bad thing to be proud of your heritage/history.And again with the lightskinned vs dark skinned.Because the majority of shows today don't do that at all ( I didn't say all).Also,don't you even realize that there are many black/spanish/etc shows that make fun of,and degrade other races,for example,I was watching House of Payne the other day and noticed how terribly they portrayed Asians. It was,honestly,a horrendous stereotype (specifically japanese people,it's just not white people depict minorites in a terrible manner,kill them. I think we are mostly past that point,just not completely.There are still shows that depict minorities terribly,but you can't honestly count and hold shows like family guy,that make fun of everyone.And Jews especially get the bad end of it,but what are you gonna do,it's a show made for kicks and what one finds comical is subjective.And again,can we stop looking at things racially,some things yes,but most other things,it's just disgusting and ignorant.And some things are honestly opinions and subjective.One can find a race joke funny,while another one can find it offensive.Yet,I find it funny when some people don't get offended with jokes of other races,although that's just my observation).And do WE HONESTLY LOOK AT A PERSON FOR THEIR RACE!!! Do we honestly look at the history of our country as THE HISTORY OF WHITE PEOPLE?!!?! WHY IS EVERYTHING SEEN RACIALLY!! It's the history of AMERICA!

I don't do it,thousands and millions of others don't,maybe we're robots or something.but IT DOESN'T MATTER THE RACE,some things do depend on race,historical things are a huge example.BUT MANY OTHER THINGS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE!!! The reason Mitt Romney was not elected HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH (his claim,not mine) OF BEING SPANISH.The reason I don't like 2 chainz music HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM BEING BLACK! The reason I don't like many people HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR RACE,it's their personality!!

If you dont like it deal with it.

when did I say that I had a problem with many of that,in fact,some of the things you said,I explicitly said I had no problem with it

The reason I may be ranting a bit is because many people who reply to me,state things that make it seem like they missed the entire point of my post,and then state things that I already explicitly said.

And honestly,some of these posts are far too damn ignorant,where everything seems to depend on race.And everyone (who is apparantly light skinned or white) is attacking the minorities.That is what many people see this as,

Light skin=Evil

Dark skin=Good

That is honestly what some people seem to be saying,I understand that some shows actually do degrade race (and honestly,there are far more than race,they also constantly degrade gender),but not all shows do that.Many people can care less what race you are.And again,I hope to see many of you people here for spanish heritage month,and I think it was stated that there was an Asian Heritage month by someone in this thread.

@Eternal19 said:

.............sigh

@Blood1991 said:

@cameron83: The issue is we have NO idea how much women and people of other races actually contributed to building early America because History was written by white men. I honestly have a hard time believing that a slave didn't have a good idea that his master stole, or a wife whose husband stole hers. Not only that, but for someone of a different race, or who is woman or both American history seems incredibly exclusive. I understand we all have our opinions, but I still see quite abit of value in recognizing great people who either get a little box in the corner of a history book, or are not mentioned at all.

Did I say that you couldn't....I have no problem like that,as stated before.ESPECIALLY because the breathing room was so minimal,but it wasn't JUST black people and slaves.That seems a bit vain and ignorant to think that in my opinion.But I still don't see why Native Americans aren't really recognized,or Asians in General since they have made many HUGE contributions.I barely saw them in textbooks.

@Bruxae said:

Morgan Freeman said it the way it is, stop calling people black or white men/women, and lets all just be .. men. Or women.

YES!

I don't see people as black people/white people/asian people/spanish people,etc.

I see them as PEOPLE.

If you still hold racial barriers and think that race is SIGNIFICANT,then I think that's just ignorant (and racist as well).

Most things have NOTHING to do with race.Some things are in between,If I were to say that history has nothing to do with Race or Gender,then that would be somewhat false.

And besides,I rarely hear about Indian history,the only times I hear about it are during thanksgiving,and I've been told that story hundreds of times,but I barely hear about them,and I am sure many of them did many great,noteworthy things...just saying,there are more than 2 races,black/white.And this is definitely not a competition of black/white,if that is what people think,then they are far too ignorant and stupid,and can't even realize that the 60s have passed.

@Guardiandevil83 said:

Well maybe that is just your personal experience with school,because when I studied it we where taught various parts of history,including the Native Americans,Martin Luther King and the slave trade and Nazi Germany and the holocaust as well.So again maybe its just your experience with school.And we hear alot about the holocaust and the slave trade (and why shouldn't we) but I don't think we hear enough about what the Native Americans went through,I mean their entire way of life was practically eradicated.

People are people I don't look at a white person and think that is a white person,or look at a black person and think that is a black person etc.I look at a person by who they are,not by what they look like.

I agree that learning about various peoples histories is important,but simply naming months just seems pointless.

yup.Thank you,you seem to get it.Unfortunately many people feel that it is necessary to racially differentiate between each other,since apparently the entire world is out to get them.I am not saying that there are people that aren't,but many things they take to heart and/or assume.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By cameron83

@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

@Eternal19 said:

Because how many founding fathers were African American or Asian or Hispanic? Nothing against African Americans or any other race but most of early American history was made by Europeans. Yes,correct.Although race and gender did play a role,that never stopped many important people from making history.And I hear about African American history alot,even when it's not February.It's not some competition,though.

What public school do you go to??? They teach it in public schools. I agree,I specifically remember it as well.

I agree,and I do hear about african americans in school far more than I hear about Asian people,yet my asian friends didn't complain.Oh wait,none of my friends even cared what race it was,same with me.A movie I saw called The Story Of US,wasn't named that for no reason.It wasn't named the story of white people.Especially since I saw many important mentions towards black people that I never knew before.It's the history of Americans,if you honestly see it as The history of White people,then you are being a bit ignorant and missing the point of everything entirely.

BTW,VercingetorixTheGreat,thank you for basing your opinion on a fact,and not an ignorant look on life.

In this month,I/We learn about the important things that Black People have done throughout history due to the fact that,in that time,they couldn't really do much due to being put at many disadvantages (they didn't really have much room to do anything),but I wonder why there isn't a female history month.But still,I just get a bit mad when people completely miss the point of this month (I guess there isn't really a specific point of this month,it's different for everyone),the point of this month isn't really about a specific person,it's more than one person,and it's for EVERYONE to celebrate and learn about what they did.What they did shouldn't really determine anything (because that's not the point of the month and this country wasn't founded upon whoever contributes can stay,whoever doesn't shall leave), but it's still important and good to note what they did.But I still agree a bit with Morgan Freeman,Mrdecepticonleader,Glitchspawn,VercingetorixTheGreat,etc...

btw,for those who don't know,I am Black,but I don't treat anyone else any more or less because of their race. :)

And being black doesn't really determine my perspective on life or people,either (It's kinda like being ignorant enough to say that Every black person is Christian, which is not true).

(btw,again,I must state things specifically,so I am talking to VercingetorixTheGreat,and giving him my opinion,since he is the one that I replied to.And obviously,that doesn't mean that half of this stuff is addressed to him,especially since it is not).

@jhazzroucher said:

I just informed my coworkers about black history month. ; )

You shouldn't have to,they should already know :)

Happy (or merry,IDK) Black History Month!!!

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83:Yeah I have received some flak on this thread and it looks like you might have.But receiving a bit of flak for trying to get the truth across is worth it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By cameron83

@cameron83:Yeah I have received some flak on this thread and it looks like you might have.But receiving a bit of flak for trying to get the truth across is worth it.

agreed,unfortunately,you can't really enlighten many people on anything since they are unwilling to learn anything.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Blood1991

@cameron83: I didn't say just black people or slaves..... Whatever you obviously have made up your mind on this as have I, and if you aren't going to bother reading what I have to say why bother in the first place.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Bruxae said:

Observing color isn't the negative

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By pooty

@cameron83: actually im deleted my previous. you don't think race matters. I think it matters quite a bit. we won't change each others mind. TTYL

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#149  Edited By Bruxae

@White Mage said:

@Bruxae said:

No, the belief that the two skin colors make different kinds of people to the degree where the distinction has to be made is.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Bruxae said:

@White Mage said:

@Bruxae said:

No, the belief that the two skin colors make different kinds of people to the degree where the distinction has to be made is.

Though a distinction shouldn't "have" to be made, there is still a physical distinction