Farmers who voted Brexit 'now at dismay due to threat of farm payments

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frogdog

Many farmers voted leave without fully realising the consequences, John Montagu, 11th Earl of Sandwich said during a House of Lords debate.

The House of Lords yesterday debated the impact of Brexit on farmers, and the government’s response to this as it prepares to begin negotiating Britain’s exit from the EU. The debate was called by Conservative Baroness Anne McIntosh, a former shadow minister for environment, food and rural affairs and former chair of the EFRA Committee The Earl of Sandwich was one of the biggest critics of leaving the EU in the debate.

He said: "Generally, I think there has been considerable dismay among farmers since Brexit simply because of the threat to their farm payments. "The new Secretary of State will have to persuade the Chancellor that smaller farmers and hill farmers will not be able to carry on unless they are given stronger reassurances of support. "In 2013, farmers received €2.6 billion under Pillar 1 and €637 million for agri-environment and rural development under “green” Pillar 2.

"How will the government ensure that British farmers continue to receive these payments? "There are fears that direct payments will be significantly less under the new Government because of the continuing need for austerity. "Farmers will have to receive this level of support or the whole fabric of rural society and the countryside will collapse—we heard of the situation in Wales. The Earl then went on to talk about the fluctuating milk prices, and how it is a 'continual source of grievance' for farmers.

"There is wide disparity between farmers supplying milk to supermarkets at 30p a pint, or close to it, and others sending milk to companies like Arla for processed milk products with a price for ever in the low 20s. "This is the result of oversupply worldwide and I will not go into it now. The EU has helped with emergency payments, but can we assume that this Government, outside the EU, will do any better?"

http://www.farminguk.com/News/Farmers-who-voted-Brexit-now-at-dismay-due-to-thr-_42580.html?refer_id=1900%3Frefer_id%3D1900#.V5pC9HZHFfd.facebook

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a shock

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By silent_bomber

Earl of Sandwich hasn't changed his position in regards to us leaving the EU, news at eleven.

Either the government carries on the payments as Boris et al pledged to do, or they don't, at which point they are open to criticism and farmers are free to vote for someone on an election manifesto of reinstating the farming subsidies, this is how democracy works.

The Common Agricultural Policy itself is disgusting garbage that we should never have gone along with in the first place. Abhorrent cronyism that ramps up food prices for the poorest whilst indiscriminately handing out hundred's of thousands of pounds worth of taxpayer money to anyone with farmland, whether they be those who need it, or multi-millionaire lords (like Montagu) who don't.

I personally really do hope that all the subsidies are carried on (though with a bit more scrutiny than before). It would be very sad to see so many people in rural areas lose out after being promised that their country would continue to support them.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b89658ba257
deactivated-57b89658ba257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't a bad thing

Our farmers have basically been on welfare for years - as in, paid not to produce

Agriculture should be one of our leading exports

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

'Earl of Sandwich'

\m/

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Pyrogram

Good job pro-Brexit lovers! You just cost the British Government a minimum of 6 billion pounds a year because the EU won't fund anymore.

Good job
Good job

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By silent_bomber

@pyrogram said:

Good job pro-Brexit lovers! You just cost the British Government a minimum of 6 billion pounds a year

The EU has never given money to Britain, we pay them and they send a little over half of our payment back.

Absolutely nothing has changed, instead of us sending the 6 billion to the EU and being given it back we're just paying directly now.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

Good job pro-Brexit lovers! You just cost the British Government a minimum of 6 billion pounds a year

The EU has never given money to Britain

I stopped at this blatant lie.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Noone1996

Lol the libs are mad.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

I stopped at this blatant lie.

This has been very enlightening, you really know absolutely nothing about the Brexit debate do you?

I mean jeez you don't even understand how the contribution works, which is pretty much Brexit 101 at this stage.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pyrogram

@silent_bomber: The entire article you posted literally stated that the EU gave the UK money. I fail to see your point.

No Caption Provided

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By silent_bomber

@pyrogram said:

@silent_bomber: The entire article you posted literally stated that the EU gave the UK money. I fail to see your point.

They give us some of our own money back out of our contribution fee after we've paid them.

This is how it worked out in 2015 (every year is different)

No Caption Provided

I have to correct myself, I said the EU has never given us money, in reality we were a beneficiary in 1975 by the looks of things

No Caption Provided

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pyrogram

@silent_bomber: The article you posted said it was a negative that the government would now be paying 6 billion a year. I'm sorry but you need to read your sources before posting anti-Brexit media and then trying to backpedal when somebody talks about the article you posted.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

The article you posted literally said it was a negative that the government would now be paying 6 billion a year.

I'm sorry but you need to read your sources before posting anti-Brexit media and then trying to backpedal when somebody talks about the article you posted.

lol, well okay, but unfortunately finding any media that isn't at least slightly anti-brexit is difficult.

I also try to stick to links to the BBC, Telegraph and Independent due to them having more perceived credibility.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: There's a reason that it's so hard to find anything pro-Brexit from a credible source, it's because all of the experts and economists were heavily against leaving the EU. Nearly anyone with credibility, perceived or not, is anti-Brexit and that shows within the media.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By silent_bomber
@pyrogram said:

There's a reason that it's so hard to find anything pro-Brexit from a credible source, it's because all of the experts and economists were heavily against leaving the EU.

Nearly anyone with credibility, perceived or not, is anti-Brexit and that shows within the media.

There are not really many credible sources in Britain, all three of the ones I mentioned are biased slightly one way or the other, BBC and Independent are biased slightly to the left, Telegraph (which is slightly more pro brexit) is biased slightly to the right. There is also The Times, which was also a little bit pro-brexit from what I can recall, but that one is subscription only online.

I could not link to the Telegraph online because they have (I think) a 10 article limit per week which I have used up.

---------------------------------------------

Did you ever watch any of the Maastricht debates in 1991?

Not only did the "experts" say that us not entering the Euro would be catastrophic for our economy, but the Eurosceptics stated matter of factly that a single currency would wreck the economies of Greece and Portugal, forcing them into relying on aid from Germany.

Fast forward 20 years, who was right?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pyrogram

@silent_bomber: IDK anything about the Maastricht debates and that's me being honest. But listening to experts 99/100 times is the logical step. I mean, they are experts and we aren't. I'm inclined to say the logical person would go with an expert. So far, the pound has dropped drastically and stories like these are not uncommon (IE damage done to Britain since leaving). So far the "experts" were right and that's not a matter of opinion, rather a matter of fact. Britain is economically weaker now. It could change but at this very moment, the UK has not benefit from the Brexit talks.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Yeah this is a definite downside of leaving the EU, it's hard to deny that Euro sceptics and pro Brexiters. Not that there aren't obvious advantages after leaving the EU but economically this was never in the Leave campaign's favour.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@sophia89 said:

They are adults, they are free people, the brexit people didn't force them to vote.

Free people? You know what the House of Lords is right?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

IDK anything about the Maastricht debates and that's me being honest. But listening to experts 99/100 times is the logical step. I mean, they are experts and we aren't. I'm inclined to say the logical person would go with an expert.

That is a fair enough statement, but in this situation there are just too many unknown variables to take into account IMO.

Cameron really exaggerated the expert opinion as well, they did not feel that the hit to our economy would be severe.

@pyrogram said:

So far, the pound has dropped drastically and stories like these are not uncommon (IE damage done to Britain since leaving).

I'm wary of making statements in case the situation takes a turn for the worse lol, but here we go -

So far the Pound has not dropped as far as they predicted, they were talking about it reaching $1.15, or worst case scenario $1.00 (its at ~$1.30 at the moment). They also did not sufficiently explain the trade-offs involved IMO, the pound being lower makes our exports cheaper and our tourism more attractive, tourist destinations have already noticed a very strongly positive effect on their businesses.

Some were worried the stock market would collapse, which did not happen, it slumped at bit and then recovered (and went up).

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The experts also said we would be thrown into a recession, well, according to the Bank of England last week they do not believe that Britain is going to enter a recession. Of course its early days yet, but so far the outlook is better than expected.

At the moment it doesn't look like our economy will be much weaker, but it does look like our consumer prices will go up (because of the exchange rate) at least in the short term. After we leave its possible we can make trade deals that will decrease prices.

MegaCityOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a new push for ' rights protection under no-deal Brexit

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 socajunkie  Moderator

The EU giving money to Britain? The EU was basically Britain, France and Germany being a super bank and getting leached from by other European governments.

MegaCityOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they can vote three times? Best of 3 ??