I'm Biased so Alvarez. They'll probably fight soon

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By laflux

Not so sure. Out of the top 4 I think conor has the best chance of beating eddie.

I might go with conor. Eddie can smother him but unless he does any meaningful work the ref are going to stand them up and conor has the more crisp and diverse striking.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@laflux:

Out of the top 4 I think conor has the best chance of beating eddie.

You still never gave a meaningful reason why.

conor has the more crisp and diverse striking.

For sure. But that doesn't necessary mean that he will have an advantage on the feet. Cro-Cop had crisper striking than Fedor, it didn't help him. Effectiveness over raw technical beauty.

Alvarez does several things that can easily threaten McGregor. The level-changes, where he fakes the takedown and goes up or fakes the punch and shoots. That's something that will easily threaten McGregor, considering that Eddie's a very good wrestler. He also has good angles that he uses beautifully to set up combinations or dart in and out with strikes.

No Caption Provided

To say that McGregor is for sure gonna light up Eddie on the feet is being extremely shortsighted, especially because you never gave a good reason why.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think McGregor will pressure him early walking him down using kicks to the body to set up left hands and uppercuts. This will also neutralize Eddie's arsenal somewhat as Conor walking him down and being a great counter strike will force Eddie to fight of the back foot for much of the early rounds, where I believe he will be KO'd. Conor's takedown defense has improved drastically since the Chad Mendes days too, as we saw in 202. And even though Nate is not as good of a wrestler as either he still had some size on McGregor so I will go out on a limb and say that Conor can defends Eddie's takedowns long enough to get the KO.

I honestly don't want Conor to fight Eddie right now just for laughs. I think McGregor will win, but I don't think Eddie deserves it, seeing as he's constantly begging for Conor to bless his family with red panty night. At least RDA shut up about fighting Conor when he pulled out. Alverez is acting like a teenage girl trying to get the cool kids attention by talking about them. Shut the f*ck up already, you sound terrible and your jokes aren't even clever.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think McGregor will swarm him early walking him down using kicks to the body to set up left hands and uppercuts. This will also neutralize Eddie's arsenal somewhat as Conor walking him down and being a great counter strike will force Eddie to fight of the back foot for much of the early rounds, where I believe he will be KO'd. Conor's takedown defense has improved drastically since the Chad Mendes days too, as we saw in 202. And even though Nate is not as good of a wrestler as either he still had some size on McGregor so I will go out on a limb and say that Conor can defends Eddie's takedowns long enough to get the KO.

I honestly don't want Conor to fight Eddie right now just for laughs. I think McGregor will win, but I don't think Eddie deserves it, seeing as he's constantly begging for Conor to bless his family with red panty night. At least RDA shut up about fighting Conor when he pulled out. Alverez is acting like a teenage girl trying to get the cool kids attention by talking about them. Shut the f*ck up already, you sound terrible and your jokes aren't even clever.

Fixed. McGregor doesn't pressure, he swarms. Big difference between the two.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: What's the difference for future reference?

Pressure is not coming forward and throwing lots of strikes. It's using feints and misdirection to control your opponent's movement. It's more psychological than physical...making your opponent uncomfortable, fatiguing him mentally and forcing him to make strategic errors. In many ways, pressure is the threat of the strike, rather than the strike itself.

Take the Weidman/Machida fight for example; Chris used a lot of feints with his knees and kicks, tons of directional changes, to constantly direct Machida towards the fence and trap him there. That is intelligent pressure-fighting.

Another good pressure-fighter is Dos Anjos. In the Pettis fight and in the Benson fight, he threw a lot of feints and constantly changed direction, to control his opponent's movement and trap them alongside the fence, and beat them up. He is also a very good cagecutter, intercepting his opponent's movement instead of charging after them, crucial to being a good pressure-fighter.

What Conor does is called "swarming". He is a swarmer, he walks down his opponent with a barrage of strikes. He uses his Tae Kwon Do to throw a multitude of kicks that set up the left-hand. He also started using front-kicks to the body to wear down his opponents, and then unloading with left-heavy combinations. Now of course, in the Diaz fight he showed his ability to adapt and changed up his approach completely.
But usually, McGregor fights like a swarmer. Swarming is a whole different combat-strategy in it's own right.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: I see well Conor's swarming and power will be too much for Eddie I feel

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Celtic Tiger will rip his heart out and stomp all over it

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eddie. I think he can enact Mendes' gameplan across 5 rounds, plus his boxing is really underrated. He spent years training under Pedro Diaz at the Blackzillians and is now being trained by Mark Henry at Ricardo Almeida BJJ.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eddie. I think he can enact Mendes' gameplan across 5 rounds, plus his boxing is really underrated. He spent years training under Pedro Diaz at the Blackzillians and is now being trained by Mark Henry at Ricardo Almeida BJJ.

And he's very good at level-change tactics, faking the shot and going upstairs with his hands. People underestimate how good Eddie's hands have become since the DREAM days.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: @sheenlantern: Hearing you guys talk about it is getting me hyped for this fight

It should be a great fight. Only fight that I will be rooting for Eddie, I think.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to go with Conor. I think he will be to strong for Eddie. Plus I have my doubts as to how many at Lightweight (and Featherweight) can take Conor's power for more then a couple of rounds. Add to the fact McGregor showed on Saturday that he has a good chin and a lot of heart.

Conor McGregor beats Eddie Alvarez 8/10 times (maybe 9/10) IMHO. Looking forward to finding out as that is where the wind is blowing I think. Though I would rather see Conor defend his Featherweight title against Aldo, and then challenge the winner of Alvarez V's Cowboy. Then McGregor V's Diaz 3. I know, I am getting cared away :). As long as Bisbing beats Dan Henderson I can live with any other result.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WarBlade539

@flumox56 said:

I would have to go with Conor. I think he will be to strong for Eddie. Plus I have my doubts as to how many at Lightweight (and Featherweight) can take Conor's power for more then a couple of rounds. Add to the fact McGregor showed on Saturday that he has a good chin and a lot of heart.

Conor McGregor beats Eddie Alvarez 8/10 times (maybe 9/10) IMHO. Looking forward to finding out as that is where the wind is blowing I think. Though I would rather see Conor defend his Featherweight title against Aldo, and then challenge the winner of Alvarez V's Cowboy. Then McGregor V's Diaz 3. I know, I am getting cared away :). As long as Bisbing beats Dan Henderson I can live with any other result.

Conor is definitely not too strong for Lightweights. In fact, the Lightweight grapplers like Khabib and RDA and Tony would be way too strong for Conor. Nate Diaz is not the strongest LW and he was able to dominate the clinch every time.

If you are talking about power, yes Conor's power should still carry over. He's a very good and very intelligent striker, and last weekend he showed the ability to prepare more than anything. But saying that he beats Eddie 8/10 is a gross over-exaggeration and fanboyism. Eddie does a lot of things that can be a nightmare for Conor, stylistically. His use of angles and level changes could pose issues for a swarmer like Conor. Not to mention, Eddie's hands are very good.

I love the Diaz bros. But Nate hasn't evolved much in the last 5 years to be a Lightweight contender. He still relies solely on Boxing and BJJ, with the occasional kicks and zero kicking defense. He's a very good gatekeeper (as much as I hate to say it), and Conor struggled with him. Good luck against the Lightweight wolves.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: First of all, I aint no Fanboy of McGregor's. Bisping Fanboy?,,,, Mmm Maybe ;). But as for McGregor I could not give two ****'s (excuse my french) whether he wins or loses. I am just giving my opinion. Just because you disagree with me on McGregor vs Alvarez, does not make your opinion more valid then mine. What makes you the authority on all thing MMA/UFC?. You are just a fan like the rest of us with an opinion my friend. We will have to see when/If this fight happens (Fingers crossed) who is right on this. Maybe you are?, We will see. But tell me Mr expert, Did you correctly predict the outcome of McGregor Vs Aldo?, Bisping Vs Rockhold?, Benoit Vs Pettis?, Holm Vs Rousey? or Diaz Vs McGregor?. I will admit I did not. Plus Nate was way bigger/heavier then any lightweight on Saturday bud, hence why Conor want number 3 at 155 pounds.

PS,,, McGregor has so much power I bet he could KO a Rhino ;).

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: At what point did I predict anything? Did I say that Eddie for sure beats McGregor 10/10 times? You are the one that's predicting nonsense, claiming that McGregor beats Eddie 9/10 times. Which is over-exaggeration to the point of silliness.

I said Eddie does a lot of things that are stylistically a nightmare for Conor to deal with. A wrestler with good striking that is also very good at transitioning between striking and grappling, and using his wrestling to set-up his striking and vice-versa. And that is true. If you have shred of fight-knowledge, and you have watched Eddie fight, you know that that is true. And yes, McGregor struggled with a Lightweight gatekeeper, another fact.

You haven't disputed any of claims. No offense but looking at your reply, I have way more knowledge. And I never made a half-a$$ed prediction like you did. I just said that Eddie does things that would be very hard fr McGregor to deal with. And FYI, I won $1,500 on Holm vs Rousey

Plus Nate was way bigger/heavier then any lightweight on Saturday bud

Hahahahahahahahaha! Are you fecking serious? Every fighter cuts weight, you do know that right? There are Lightweights like Khabib that cut from 185 lbs. Nate walks around at 175-180 max, and he barely cut any weight for the Conor fights. The only difference between the fight taking place at 155 and 170 is that, at 170, they wouldn't have to cut weight. And without the strain of a weight-cut, they could fight at their best.
Nate wasn't any heavier at UFC 202 than he normally is.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539:

At what point did I predict anything?

Never said you did. I am just making the point you "sometimes" come across like a big headed know-it-all,,,,, No offence.

Every fighter cuts weight,

Yes I am aware. But you where comparing Nate to a/the Lightweight's. So yes of course they come into the fight heavier then 150 pounds, But not 175 - 178 (maybe even 180) pounds like Nate did on Saturday.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56 said:

@WarBlade539:

At what point did I predict anything?

Never said you did. I am just making the point you "sometimes" come across like a big headed know-it-all,,,,, No offence.

Every fighter cuts weight,

Yes I am aware. But you where comparing Nate to a/the Lightweight's. So yes of course they come into the fight heavier then 150 pounds, But not 175 - 178 (maybe even 180) pounds like Nate did on Saturday.

The bigger Lightweights do come close to that weight. People can rehydrate and eat back up to very close to their natural weight. Conor's strength coach said that he was 2 kgs heavier in the Diaz fights than he is when he is fighting at Featherweight. So he probably weighed around 163-165 on fight day, at Featherweight.

Nate weighed in at 169, and he was barely dehydrated. He couldn't have been more than 175 lbs. And that has nothing to do with his toughness, the Diaz brothers are some of the toughest people in the sport.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539:

Diaz brothers are some of the toughest people in the sport.

On that we can agree.

Ps,,,,, I still think you "sometimes" come across like a know-it-all ;).

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: You didn't even acknowledge my responses to the weight thing. You completely glazed over all of the parts where I threw facts.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: Chris Weidman said that he weighs usually 208 on fight day. Mighty Mouse says he weighs around 140 on fight day. So there you go, fighters do gain 20 lbs easily, within the course of a day.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539:

You didn't even acknowledge my responses to the weight thing

Sigh,,, The only thing I said about weight is "Nate was way heavier then any lightweight on Saturday (during a match at 1551bs). That is why Conor want's The 3rd fight at 155 (1bs). As for Nate's size and weight having nothing to do with his toughness. Never said it did (you are putting words in my mouth). But it does help in his power (strikes) and in the clinch. as it would off if the fight had gone to ground (other then last few sec). So all I was pointing out is that you saying Conor struggled with Nate (at welterweight) is not necessarily an indicator as to how he would do at lightweight.

Plus both Diaz brothers have "notoriously " (see what I did there ;]) hard chins and are hard to put away. So I was pointing out that IMHO very few (If any?) at 145 and 155 1bs could take the same punishment and survive. Maybe I am wrong, We will see. Maybe I am a moron who doesn't know **** like you seem to think. Time will tell. And I still think Conor would beat Eddie 8/10 times. (maybe I am wrong there too?, It happens (In fact it happens quite a bit) If that makes me a "McGregor fanboy?, What the hell, I have been called worse.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: But you are wrong, that's my point. Nate wasn't much heavier than he normally is, when he is fighting at 155. I have said it twice now, after weigh-in, fighters re-hydrate back to their natural weight, or close to it.

DJ weighs in at 125, and in fight day, he is 140 lbs. Chris Weidman weighs in at 185, and he has been as high as 208 lbs on fight day. Diego Sanchez posted a photo that he weighed 170+ lbs on fight day, after weighing in at 145. Your statement that "Nate was way bigger/heavier then any lightweight on Saturday", is completely wrong. He was definitely not any heavier than guys like Khabid or RDA, on fight day.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: 15 - 25 pounds would make a difference. The average fighter re-hydrates around 10 - 20 1bs (I think). Nate when fighting at 155 1bs would work to weigh less during his training camp so as to not have to cut too much weight for the weigh-in. At 170 1bs he would not have to work as much (during camp) to prepare to cut weight. I think (not 100% sure on this) that Nate walks around at anywhere around 185 - 205 1bs on the off season, And is always fit due to training and his triathlons and mountain biking. So I am "guessing" he was 180 - 185 at 202. Not many Lightweights fight at that weight.

Hey but if I am wrong I am sure you wont be able to resist letting me know :).

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: Nate is nowhere close to 180-200 lbs in the off season. That is so wrong. Nate would be fat at 200 lbs. Nate himself said that he is 170-175 lbs, when he is not in camp. Have you seen Nate? He is skinny. Cerrone's thicker than him and just as tall, he's between 175-180 max.

The bigger Lightweights, like Khabib, RDA and Ferguson, fight at 180 lbs. Not Nate.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Flumox56

@WarBlade539: Ok fine.

Though speaking of Cerrone. I personally think he is the biggest threat to Conor (If they both go to 155 1bs). I still think Conor wins over Eddie more times then not. I like Eddie, But I think he is the weakest of the top 4 or 5 Lightweights in the UFC.

**Edit** My bad. I meant weakest of the top 4 or 5 lightweights against Conor. Not necessarily over all. That said I will admit I thought Dos Anjos was going to beat him so what do I know?.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: At 155, I could see it being a good fight. But Cerrone cuts too much weight to reach 155, he is not as fast or strong as he is at 170. At 170, he doesn't have to dehydrate himself. He can eat and drink all he wants, he is healthy and happy and he's a f***ing beast at 170.

If 155 Cerrone is Super Saiyan 1, 170 is SS 2. He is just better everywhere, and 170 should be his home. And after his last performance, he murders the leprechaun at 170.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: Didn't Nate's coach say he was 200 pounds of muscle though? And didn't Nate confirm this at one of the press conferences. IIRC he said he was 185 at that moment and was cutting the weight down gradually.

I'm not arguing against your other points but for this specific fight I think he was closer to 180+ on fight night.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539:

@flumox56: At 155, I could see it being a good fight. But Cerrone cuts too much weight to reach 155, he is not as fast or strong as he is at 170. At 170, he doesn't have to dehydrate himself. He can eat and drink all he wants, he is healthy and happy and he's a f***ing beast at 170.

Yea maybe so, But I still think he would be Conor's biggest test at 155 (along with Nurmagomedov). I also think, That yes the fact he does not have to dehydrate himself (at least as much) makes a difference at 170. but I feel he has also just hit his prime. We have seen in the past that all of a sudden a fighter can go from a good fighter to an amazing fighter overnight (not literally overnight off course). I think/feel this "might" be the case with Cowboy.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WarBlade539

@ultrastarkiller:

Didn't Nate's coach say he was 200 pounds of muscle though?

He was trolling. Both him and his coach. No way Nate's more than 175-180. He would be fat, if he was more than 185. Look at Nate's frame, he's a slender guy.

but I feel he has also just hit his prime.

Hitting his prime usually means, there is no more room for improvement. Cerrone has shown tremendous improvement in his last 3 fights, since the move to WW. I hope he never returns tbh.

And McGregor's biggest threats at 155 are the grapplers; RDA, Khabib, Ferguson, alongside Cerrone.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Flumox56

@WarBlade539:

I hope he never returns tbh

From what he has said he is coming back down despite council from others not to do so (Including his coach).

And McGregor's biggest threats at 155 are the grapplers; RDA, Khabib, Ferguson.

The grapplers are a threat. But against them Conor has an advantage on his feet/striking. Where is his advantage against Cowboys skill set?.

Look at Nate's frame, he's a slender guy.

I think his frame is slightly deceptive. Look at him and Cowboy at the weigh-in (when they fought) Nate looks decidedly bigger. At least to my eyes.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56: No he's not bigger than Cerrone lol. Cerrone sucked a lot of weight and that's why he looks thinner. Look at them when they fought, that's what really matters, Cerrone is slightly thicker.
Cerrone cuts maybe 5 lbs to make the 170 limit, he said that he was 175 a few days before the Cote fight. Nate cannot be heavier than that. I keep saying this, he is not 185 and he is definitely not 200 lbs. 175-180 max.

RDA and Ferguson are very good strikers. RDA is one of the best defensive pressure fighters in MMA; his use of feints and misdirection to trap fighters alongside the cage is brilliant, he is very good at hitting and covering or shoulder-rolling with strikes and then coming back, he is very good at flowing through combinations, he has excellent knees and elbows and very good kicks. He beat Pettis and Cerrone everywhere, on the feet and on the ground. He is a very tough fight for Conor, especially because he can maintain the same pace for 5 rounds.
And he is also very good at using his striking to set-up takedowns.

Ferguson is dangerous on the feet as well, very unpredictable, excellent at transitioning from grappling to striking, and his submissions are nasty. And if Khabib clinches with him and Nate showed that it's not hard to establish clinch with Conor, he is going for a ride.
Conor has a lot of very tough fights at 155.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@laflux:

Out of the top 4 I think conor has the best chance of beating eddie.

You still never gave a meaningful reason why.

conor has the more crisp and diverse striking.

For sure. But that doesn't necessary mean that he will have an advantage on the feet. Cro-Cop had crisper striking than Fedor, it didn't help him. Effectiveness over raw technical beauty.

Alvarez does several things that can easily threaten McGregor. The level-changes, where he fakes the takedown and goes up or fakes the punch and shoots. That's something that will easily threaten McGregor, considering that Eddie's a very good wrestler. He also has good angles that he uses beautifully to set up combinations or dart in and out with strikes.

No Caption Provided

To say that McGregor is for sure gonna light up Eddie on the feet is being extremely shortsighted, especially because you never gave a good reason why.

:)